Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd be willing to bet one of these cultists kills cr in a fit of rage if the game doesn't release or is a pile of hot poo poo. Most likely Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

aleksendr posted:

Same problem than MWO: Online, nother CryEngine product. Many player started calling it "turret simulator : online"

It's surprising to me that more people don't complain about this, I noticed it right away when I played arena commander a year ago.

Lol

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

1500 posted:

Sorry if this has been posted already, but the UEE fleet number seems to be just the number of ships sold not the number of payed accounts, according to Disco Lando

Holy poo poo that's hosed if true. I personally still have four ships even after getting a bunch of them refunded. It completely obfuscates the number of actual accounts and makes me seriously wonder what the true amount spent per backer is.

Everything I've said online I would gladly say to any of their faces. In fact I've had multiple conversations with Ben directly saying the exact same thing I've said in public. In my opinion Ben and Jared are responsible for this community turning into a toxic hellhole where any opinion that isn't effuse praise of CIG is culled and ridiculed. Through poor policies, poor enforcement, and a complete lack of professionalism on their part CIG community management has been one embarrassment after another. Their priorities are marketing, not management, and their inability to manage expectations will only lead to further toxicity and negativity as the game is revealed.

At least that chart used December 2011 as the start date instead of October 2012. Progress!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

This is just pure delusion. Ignore all the netcode issues, ignore all the multicrew bugs- put all that aside. Just dogfighting with a dozen people in AC is a complete clusterfuck. Weapon ranges and turn radii are so tight that you are pretty much guaranteed to run into each other in a fight of more than 3 or 4 people. It's not like EVE where poo poo's slow paced enough that you can take a 15 minute break and not miss any action. It's not even like MMO combat, where you're at enough of a third-part remove from your character that you can get a picture of what's going on. It's a frantic mess. Bumping it up to even 30 or 40 people would be awful. I can't imagine more than that. Now, in a large scale war across multiple zones? Sure. But the second you start slotting people in randomly, that bomber interceptor squad is never going to bump into the bombers and an awful lot of mechanics start to fall apart. Croberts has built a dogfighting game based on the old Wing Commanders that fundamentally cannot work on the scale that people envision.
Tony Z. actually said on "Around the Verse" they are very close to adding up to 40 simultaneous players in the same instance*!

* In the Million Mile High Club....

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Tony Z. actually said on "Around the Verse" they are very close to adding up to 40 simultaneous players in the same instance*!

* In the Million Mile High Club....

In a server instance, I think, 40 would be fine. Many more would be fine. But in a fight, more than a handful makes it just an incomprehensible random mess of ships because the ranges are too low.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Eonwe posted:

god drat it
I'm hoping I'll come across the person this post is referring to:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6039884/#Comment_6039884

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

In a server instance, I think, 40 would be fine. Many more would be fine. But in a fight, more than a handful makes it just an incomprehensible random mess of ships because the ranges are too low.

The range doesn't matter for WW2 in space. Croberts believes everyone will break off into 1v1 dog fights so the copilot can aim his iron sights over the space-prop blade.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Sarsapariller posted:

What's hilarious to me is that there are people who bought the Idris and the Javelin - giant, multi-crew capital ships - and there is the very real chance that the game will not support enough players in the same instance to actually run the ship...what happens then?

Congratulations, you literally have a $2500 hangar queen.

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It would be great if it turns out they've got like 300,000 $45 backers and 20,000 $4000 backers. No loving poo poo they needed a referral system.

I've heard CRoberts mention on a 10FTC some time back that the majority of packages are entry level, so a left skew distribution with mostly $$ backers and a minor population of $$$$ backers with some extreme $$$$$ outliers is probably correct. The website quotes 837, 024 for the UEE Fleet as I write this, so I think 500k - 600k is a generous figure for the total number of backers with ships at this point. It could be lower, but given how tight lipped CIG has always been with any sort of meaningful figures, it's tough to say. For sure, implying there are 1M star citizens completely misrepresenting how much backer interest there really is.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I guess your misread my intent in posting that. My joke fell flat.

I just think it's hilarious that the Million Mile High club is chewing up any dev cycles-- that they are trying to up the player count for the ultra exclusive in-game sausage party seems so typical. Like spending so much time trying to get the most high fidelity explosions ever seen in game-- when your spaceships still fly around like balsa wood.

Speaking of jokes that fall flat-- did anybody watch the ending of "Around the Verse"? The Ben and Sandi dynamic seems to be getting more awkward, not less- perhaps because Sandi is just so drat sick of doing this. But usually they try to fake some frivolity in the last seconds.

This time, not so...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 10, 2015

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

So say this is true - that their pool of people willing to actually buy their poo poo is vanishingly small - does that actually mean they're going to have trouble continuing to fund the game by basically repeatedly selling crap to the same group of people? Or have these people proved that by this point they're all too loving stupid to stop spending money so it will just go on and on?

It's that second thing.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

I guess your misread my intent in posting that. My joke fell flat.

Sorry yeah, I'm half working and half reading, missed your point.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

G0RF posted:

Speaking of jokes that fall flat-- did anybody watch the ending of "Around the Verse"? The Ben and Sandi dynamic seems to be getting more awkward, not less- perhaps because Sandi is just so drat sick of doing this. But usually they try to fake some frivolity in the last seconds.

This time, not so...
That was some great acting from Sandi. I can't wait to see her in Squadron 42.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo that's hosed if true. I personally still have four ships even after getting a bunch of them refunded. It completely obfuscates the number of actual accounts and makes me seriously wonder what the true amount spent per backer is.

Well, how many people do you need spending 100k per day? Lets do the math. Assuming the maximum amount of 500k people spending money on this thing per month (I seriously doubt it is more than that, but I could be wrong), they are are spending $6 a day or $180 a month or $2160 a year

Now, lets just keep halving that amount:

250k backers = $12 a day or $360 a month or $4320 a year
125k backers = $24 a day or $720 a month
62.5k backers = $48 a day or $1440 a month
31.25k backers = $96 a day or $2880 a month
15k backers = $200 a day or $6000 a month
10k backers = $300 a day or $9000 a month

Obviously anything at or below 125k is probably too low (nobody is spending over a grand a month on this poo poo. At least I hope not). I suspect the actual range is between 500k - 250k. Any lower than that and the amount spent per person just goes up too high for it to be rational. I just ran the rest to see how much it would take for even a decent amount of people to fund this thing on 100k a day. It puts things into perspective at just how good SC is at making money from a good number of people. And it also illustrates just how high the number spent per backer might be.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm dying

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Dapper Dan posted:

Obviously anything at or below 125k is probably too low (nobody is spending over a grand a month on this poo poo. At least I hope not). I suspect the actual range is between 500k - 250k. Any lower than that and the amount spent per person just goes up too high for it to be rational

an amount of spending too high to be rational is $1

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure you guys are putting more thought into cigs finances than they are

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hey, I thought I'd be helpful and make a graph to go along with the "Dev time" one...

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Enchanted Hat posted:

an amount of spending too high to be rational is $1

True

Romes128 posted:

I'm pretty sure you guys are putting more thought into cigs finances than they are

I just wanted to see how absurd it would get, didn't take much effort :shrug:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
hey jared

just cuase bens fatter doesn't mean yo'ure not fat

also that beard only hides like two of your chins

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Xaerael posted:

Hey, I thought I'd be helpful and make a graph to go along with the "Dev time" one...

psh those other games didn't need a cash grab because they were reliant on money made by previous releases that were received well.

Star Citizen is pure; funding couldn't rely on previous games because Roberts hasn't made a game in years. Or a good one.

idiot

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Xaerael posted:

you missed the "games released" z-axis

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Xaerael posted:

Add "in millions" to your X axis and that's the perfect rejoinder.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So have they raised $100M yet?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Dapper Dan posted:

Well, how many people do you need spending 100k per day? Lets do the math. Assuming the maximum amount of 500k people spending money on this thing per month (I seriously doubt it is more than that, but I could be wrong), they are are spending $6 a day or $180 a month or $2160 a year

Obviously anything at or below 125k is probably too low (nobody is spending over a grand a month on this poo poo. At least I hope not). I suspect the actual range is between 500k - 250k. Any lower than that and the amount spent per person just goes up too high for it to be rational. I just ran the rest to see how much it would take for even a decent amount of people to fund this thing on 100k a day. It puts things into perspective at just how good SC is at making money from a good number of people. And it also illustrates just how high the number spent per backer might be.

Your math is suspect. How does 500k people spending $6 per day equate to $100k per day?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dapper Dan posted:

Technically you only need one Swedish crime family.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SirPhoebos posted:

i would say :2weex: but it'll probably be less

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

They'll hit it before the livestream-- even if Chris and Sandi have to use backer money to make it happen.

(it's not like their counter would know the difference...)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

i would say :2weex: but it'll probably be less

Christmas sale is next week.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Technically you only need one Swedish crime family.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Xaerael posted:

owns

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Christmas sale is next week.
christmas, though, is in two literal weeks

Happy 2weeXmas everyone!!!!!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Patch z:

-Fixed bug whereby land locked players would hop a transport and murder everyone on board and dump the corpses in deep space and continue griefing.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

blueberrysmith posted:

Jesus. I'm not sure what's going to collapse first, Star Citizen or Lesnick's skeleton. That dude has one foot in the grave.
yo death, can we trade :lesnick: to get ryan davis back?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
here in sweden we celebrate christmas eve, see

we also have a better track record of scams, seeing how the gizmondo was actually released

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Romes128 posted:

I'd be willing to bet one of these cultists kills cr in a fit of rage if the game doesn't release or is a pile of hot poo poo. Most likely Ben.

As if these cultists will be deterred by reality.

Look man, Roberts didn't fail us, we failed him by not giving him enough money. We just didn't understand game development. :reddit:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sarsapariller posted:

Ship with literal swords built into it for ramming decides to ram- is described as "rear end in a top hat." News at 11.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w85ak/glaive_being_an_asshole_ptu_20k_113/

drat, whatever excuse they call physics in this game is so loving poo poo. Look how that Glaive is just noclip flying.

:vomit:

I've been following this thread for laughs for ages now, but I'm just going to have to stop - my brain is just breaking .

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

BMan posted:

I'm dying
I was too distracted by the :science: to notice those grotesque misspellings but now that you've pointed them out, I can't stop giggling whenever I see them.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dirty Hairy posted:

It's that second thing.

Yes, The "Trained Whale" level of backers.

Once you reach a critical mass of stuff and sunk cost falacy some people just buy things because its available. Startreck Online have whales having to use 2 accounts for premium $$$ ships since there is a limit (54) on hangar space per account. Of course at 40$ a pop those ships are more resonable, but its the same thing. Game turned into a shopping experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:horse:

• Locked thread