Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ordered a 12 pack of King Oscar Mediterranean for my buddy from Amazon for his Christmas gift which is on the way to my house. I decided he will be getting six cans and I will be getting six so I ordered a book for him to make up the difference. He will never know.

Never had KOs before so looking forward to seeing if they live up to their legendary status

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Alan Smithee posted:

Ive never cared for sardines or anchovies. is there like a big ol sardine that would change my mind ala ahi tuna vs shiity canned tuna?

Try again but spend the extra dollar and get good ones like King Oscar or Bela.

Don't be like me and try Beach Cliff as your reintroduction to sardine country. Cheap sardines can be good but you're rolling the dice.

Check out the can and find out the country of origin. If it's a European country or Morocco you're good to go

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What makes King Oscar better than all the others? Are the fish from a certain region, or is it something to do with the canning, etc?

I'm about to find out.

Got a 12 pack of KO Mediterraneans from Santa Amazon today.

I've been eating dines for over two years now and I've never had King Oscars.

Bumblebee in mustard is going to take a seat for a while.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My dad's wife looked at my Facebook page and saw that I'd liked King Oscars page.

Scored tonight!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Sizone posted:

sour dough bread, preferably a baguette. stoned wheat thins in an emeregency. assholesin this theead will tell you to get some garbage crackers that resemble sandpaper coated drywall, ignore them.

This and triscuits have worked well for me. Old man at the bar said saltines but they get soggy

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Bought a 12 pack of KO Mediterraneans based goon recommendations. Tried them for the first time last night.

Opened the can and splashed oil on my pants. Small nice looking fish - looks tast... sliced black olives?

The olives plus olive oil were all I could taste. Tails were a new thing. Ate the tails.

All in all will finish the rest of the tins but a disappointment.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don't remember Bar Harbor reviewed in the previous thread but now I'm intrigued.

Gave KO Mediterranean a second chance tonight after a bad first impression and finished the rest of the tin. I think my mistake first time was too much garlic and hot sauce which I would do with low grade dines. Out of the tin on a cracker was delicious. Plus tails!

Eat the bones heads and tails

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Got three tins of these for a Christmas gift from my buddy who is an actual old man and Dad:

Holy moley these are top tier if you are into skinless/boneless dines.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Pastor Perineum posted:

you're like the zima drinker of dadfoods. seriously there is no reason to eat boneless/skinless unless you intentionally want to feed your body less nutrients. serious question: what are you afraid of? get some KO dines and learn from the mistakes you've been making.

I am a veteran of dines and the last thread. I eat all the bones and skins. I'm also an old dude. I was giving the brand a thumbs up because they were tasty and a good intro to dines for newbies.

Edit:

I know from KO's, son.

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 6, 2016

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Insane Totoro posted:

Are the Bela ones in lemon any good?

Yes!

There is a lemon flavor but it's not strong.

My Bela preference:

Tomato>Olive oil>Lemon>Pepper

Got all the ingredients for fishermans eggs and am finally going to try it tonight. Fried potatoes on the side

Oven is busted so I'm going to have to make it work in a convection oven (400 degrees will have to do)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like people keep knocking on the cheaper brands but i don't think they're being fair. I've been dinin since i was a kid and while my mom would get me more expensive ones like the tiny tots as stocking stuffers for christmas, on a week to week basis i was eating bruneswick, beach cliff, bumblebee, pretty much whatever and they're all good. The cheaper brands tend to have bigger fish (so the spine is more noticeable, but also easy to remove if you're gonna be a baby) and taste more "fishy", but if you actually like the taste of sardines they're fine. Expensive ones are nice as a treat but there's no reason to pass up the 1 dollar cans. If i were introducing someone to sardines id ease them into it with the milder flavors of ko, but if you're a seasoned veteran you should be able to enjoy other ones too.

I eat Bumblebee in mustard on Triscuits or saltines as my daily sardines and treat myself to Bela or KO's on special occasions. Cheap 'dines might not look pretty in the can but are usually tasty.

Beach Cliff is the only brand I don't think I will buy again.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Tried making fishermans eggs last night with pan fried potatoes and failed spectacularly

Over salted everything, cooked the dine mixture in a convection oven at 375 and that wasn't hot enough to cook the eggs fast without drying everything out.

Going to redeem myself by making linguine with a cream and garlic sauce with a tin of KO Mediterraneans tonight.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I made a pretty good pasta dish with sardines tonight:

1. Put 1/2 pound of spaghetti in a pot of boiling water

2. Mince up a bunch of cloves of garlic, chop up half an onion and chop a good sized thing (head?) of broccoli.

3. Put the garlic and onions in span in olive oil on medium for a while until they smell done. Toss in the broccoli for a while. Add a cup or so of heavy cream and turn to low. I added lemon juice here (1/2 of a lemon) and I'm glad I did.

4. When the cream has reduced add a can or two of sardines, turn off the heat and let it sit for a little while

5. Add the spaghetti and black pepper and salt and toss together. Fresh chopped parsley would be good on top. I didn't have any

You could probably skip the cream and it would still be good.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

AEMINAL posted:

so i bought some mackarel in tomato sauce last time i went dine shopping

how the heck do i eat these, im afraid, kinda like the first time i tried dines

edit: im thinking of putting some on toast with a light smear of butter?? maybe cream cheese??? idk

Put the fish on a cracker or toast with hot sauce. Butter or cream cheese will add nothing flavor wise

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Made the Fisherman's Eggs recipe as posted in the the OP. Eggs turned out over cooked so next time I think I'll do it at 450 instead of 500 degrees.

Having Easter dinner with Mom and going to make sardine appetizers - toasted baguette slices with avocado and sardines and hot sauce. She claims to not like sardines but she said she will give it a try.

Will see if sardines can be momly as well as dadly

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I made breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs and fried potatoes with cheddar cheese and decided to add sardines.

Do not make this mistake.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Male Tears posted:

Anyone have experience with Trader Joe's smoked trout? My sister bought me some. Should I just eat them with cream cheese on Wasas like I do sardines?

I got a couple tins of those as a gift and they are awesome. One I consumed on crackers like sardines. The other went into a pot of potato soup to turn it into a fish chowder.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Thread inspired me to eat my very first dines. Just finishing a can of Bela and these are tasty.

Belas are my favorite. Too tasty on their own to use as a recipe ingredient.

A friend just got back from Italy and brought me this:

Will report back

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
What is this land animal poo poo doing in this thread?

On topic, Beach Cliff was my introduction to sardines and I hated them. Tried them again and my opinion hasn't changed. Tossed them out and am enjoying Belas on Triscuits with avocado and Tapatio hot sauce.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

LongDarkNight posted:

I found the lemon flavor to be too strong, reminded me of Pledge.

Lemon is the only Bela variety I didn't care for.

Making a pasta dish with fettuccine, broccoli, garlic, and a can of Beach Cliffs because that's all I can scrape together from my pantry and fridge tonight.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Android Bicyclist posted:

So I was at this restaurant called Cheese Bar & was all set to order a Cubano when I noticed his on the specials board:

Spanish sardines, piparra peppers, preserved lemon, Napa cabbage & grain mustard on a baguette. Glad I opted for this instead.

Sardines + sandwich is a combination I'd never considered but that sounds amazing.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Sheep-Goats posted:

Walmart had a rack of Coles Portuguese sardies on clearance for a buck a can so I took them all for my own

Hope they're good, gonna go find out in a minute

I have yet to be disappointed by dines from Mediterranean lands. Only had them from Morocco, Portugal, and Italy but they take it seriously

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm happy the thread survived!

I have a thing with one of my bartenders where she will pick up $10 worth of tinned fish when she goes to Trader Joes for me. She didn't come through this week so I'm dineless tonight

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

thathonkey posted:

TJ harissa dines are my favorites as well

They are good!

The other night I was making veggie burritos (I slow cook chickpeas and tomatoes with spices and garlic and mash it all up) and decided to add some TJ harissas with the hot sauce at the end when I was assembling the burritos.

Do not do this.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think Parmesan should be taken out of the cheese category really. It's just a way to add free glutamates, like some kind of wop miso.

Dago miso would have been a better choice of a racial slur since it rhymes

Trader Joes smoked trout is really good.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Herr Tog posted:

Brave new frontiers gents.

Report back!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

nawcom posted:

more proof that boneless/skinless are no doubt inferior. let's be honest now.

They are good but basically like tinned trout or super awesome tuna. Good for pasta dishes.

Not cracker/hot sauce material.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ArbitraryC posted:

I have never seen costco offer dines that weren't boneless and skinless so they inevitably suck regardless of how expensive they are.

If you want a deal on real dines look for bumblebees in oil for less than 1$ a tin, great sardines, better than Brunswick, beachliff, or chicken of the sea. If you wanna pay more than that get KO (with skin and bones) but you're just cheating yourself if you go somewhere in between.

Bumblebee sardines in mustard sauce are really good cracker sardines. My neighborhood market stopped stocking them (and all sardines). They have 20 tins of smoked oysters that aren't moving

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

OK so I cracked a can of these open:

https://www.amazon.com/Season-Skinless-Boneless-Sardines-3-75-Ounce/dp/B000HDJYWA

(From Costco, 6 cans for $9.99)

Trip report: they're actually pretty nice. They're large fishes, but are very intact and quite tasty. Very mild fish flavor and they don't taste super overcooked. Great on a buttery cracker with hot sauce. There are about 6-7 fishes in a can.

A buddy at my bar gave me a Costco 6 pack of these and I am enjoying them. A flavorful topping makes them even better

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

MisterOblivious posted:

I meant to pickle some fish for new year's eve eating but didn't get them jarred in time :(

Well you're in a pickle now

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i boil water in a sauce pan and then add rice to that

Yeah I've never felt the need to buy a rice cooker because I can do this ^^^ and end up with a pot of great rice. It's not complicated.

I just don't need another gadget in my kitchen that takes up space.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is good. No pretty pictures but tons of good Alton Brown :science: stuff

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Do you just have to check the KO Facebook page regularly or is there a way to get notified about their promotions/contests?

Aside from this thread of course

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Birthday haul

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Eels are super endangered

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I have unlocked the thread. I don't know what 100 pages of sardine chat looks like, but here's to 100 more.

Thank you!

:coolfish:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Flambeau posted:

Is there a recommended cracker or type of toast?

Toasted baguette rounds or cracked pepper/olive oil Triscuits

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I always miss their Facebook promotions. Is there a a way to find out about those without checking their page every day?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Male Tears posted:

Go to their page and select the option to get notifications when they post.

Thanks! Did not think to look for the option in the Following submenu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

LingcodKilla posted:

Caught some squid and cooked some squid tonight.

10/10 would catch and eat again.

What fishing technique did you use to catch the sea tubes?