Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

dreezy posted:

y'all ain't never been to an outlet mall?

This whole drat discussion I've been thinking "So outlet malls but with restaurants"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

The great Youtube channel Regular Car Reviews has done more than a few reviews of bad '80s/'90s American cars, and here's some people here might be interested in:

Chevette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yARgE9vosw

Dodge Aries (aka the one before the K-platform): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGnMVijx5GE

Chevy Cavalier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAKdyOUas8k

A K-Car (namely, a Chrysler New Yorker): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBkjXdCf8DE

Ford Festiva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfMFtXu3Lz4

GM B-Bodies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRbviyMPcU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFWD5w6pXA

WARNING: videos may be NSFW and contain gratuitous references to Eastern Pennsylvania

That cavalier video was spot on my high school experience right down to the trunk subs :stare:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

LGD posted:

WB is apparently planning a new Speedy Gonzales animated film, to be released in late 2018.

No way Trump allows this.

Also I hate going to the mall here because it's so loving crowded.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

I got swarmed by dogs once.

I'm sorry, I know its mean but I laughed out loud at this.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

My friends have you heard of bitcoin

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Capital One instantly put a hold on my card and completely refunded the charges within a 10 minute phone call after someone bought a few hundred bucks worth of shoes in NYC so I guess ymmv?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

there wolf posted:

This entire argument is a waste of time because In Living Color was better than both of them.

Yep.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Upscale malls are still doing fine. It's the malls that cater to middle class folks that are dying.

Yeah the one nearest me has turned itself into "destination" experience and is still packed to the gills on weekends.

e: looking at their website they even have something called "subzero nitrogen ice cream"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

There's a local carryout pizza place that has closed up and reopened under a new name (but still a little pizza shop) 5 times in the last 2 years. So I guess it's either a lot of people with bad business plans or the same owner doing something weird.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

kumba posted:

I remember Babbage's, they were all over the place around here. We had a mall that had both a Babbage's and an EB that both turned into Gamestop a few months apart

You from Maryland by any chance? Same thing with my local mall.

e: I guess it was common

sharknado slashfic has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Aug 30, 2017

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't know why, but the fact that that's Canadian Sears makes it less ridiculous.

It certainly seems more appropriate that way.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Our local mall's Sears is having the bottom level converted to a Dave and Busters

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Barudak posted:

Amazon dropoffs, restaurants, rub n tug parlors.

God willing

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

A mildly interesting article about the rise and fall of malls.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/02/when-malls-saved-cities-from-capitalism/553610/

Since the creator of the modern mall was a refugee fleeing Nazis, I guess we can blame Hilter for that too.

I've been reading this thread since it started and while logically I understand why lots of malls are dying it always makes me blink when it comes up because you can't find a parking spot at mine. Even the drat Sears is somewhat populated. But they wisely turned it into one of those "destination" malls like 15 years ago (even moreso now); it has a bunch of name restaurants (PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, that kinda thing), a movie theater, and a fuckton of apartments and condos within shouting distance. It's actually so busy that I actively avoid going near the area anymore.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

BloodBag posted:

You wouldn't happen to live in Houston, would you? The galleria is the most overcrowded mall and the whole area is just a bitch to get around in, particularly during the holiday season. The other malls...not so much.

Nah, Maryland.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Good news everyone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Trail_Generation

quote:

Cassie McClure, writing for Las Cruces Sun-News, describes those in the Oregon Trail Generation as "remembering a time before the digital age, but barely".[12] Anna Garvey describes these individuals as having "both a healthy portion of Gen X grunge cynicism, and a dash of the unbridled optimism of Millennials", and discusses their relationship with both analog and digital technology.[2] Sheknows.com describes individuals born in the late 1970s and early 1980s as sharing traits with both Generation X and Millennials.[13]

Anna Garvey describes U.S members of this group as having had an "AOL adolescence" and as being from "the last gasp of a time before sexting, Facebook shaming, and constant communication".[2]

The Dickinson Press describes those born in the early 1980s as having early adulthoods which were impacted by the events of the September 11 attacks and the Iraq War.[14]

Many who identify with Oregon Trail Generation, Xennials or Generation Catalano do so because they don't feel they fit within the typical definitions of Generation X or Millennials.[3][15][16]

I was born in 81 and I've always felt like Millenials are too young and GenX is too old.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Sorry you're gonna die of dysentery.

Oh no I thought it was just too much beer last night :smith:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Even that isn't necessarily all that specific. I was born in spring 1984, but I have fond memories of playing the original Oregon Trail on Apple ][ computers in elementary school. Most estimates place me pretty firmly in the "Millennial" avocado toast contingent, though. I have no loving clue.

From my cursory googling about this when I looked at the wikipedia article they cant even seem to agree on the years it covers so who knows. But I'll die on the hill of not being a millenial :colbert:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

AvesPKS posted:

You were talking about Columbia Mall then. Thought so.

Yeah they've done even more to it since I was last near the Mall. Like I said upthread I pretty much don't go near the place anymore :v:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Finally someplace that I can post "bring back courderoy pants"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ofecks posted:

Smashing Pumpkins are touring this year with their original lineup minus Darcy

Some more of the obscure altrock bands from the 90's have done reunion shows/new albums in recent years - Failure, Slowdive, MBV, Hum, etc.

I'm pretty sure this was very early 90s only. The gangsta/thug culture explosion that happened, in a distant but perpendicular parallel manner with grunge, killed that poo poo off quickly.

I pretty distinctly remember those shirts being a thing in 5th grade so yeah probably 90-91

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I remember seeing redneck moms out in the central valley/san berdoo wearing gangsta taz and tweety denim well into the 2000s.

Yeah but I mean the backwards clothes ones were inspired by Kris Kross no?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

nm

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

Article if you want to read more https://mic.com/articles/145105/coincidence-detector-the-google-extension-white-supremacists-use-to-track-jews#.FteEOzxnM

Have you tried switching it to recirculate before turning it off? My old Buick did the same thing and I finally figured out it was air from outside blowing in through the A/C system.

This is exactly what happens in my 2010 Subaru

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is ACE Hardware still around?

My local one is so much better then Home Depot and Lowes that it's laughable

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I briefly worked at one of those Sears/Kmart hybrids (Sears Grand) in 2007(?) in Appliances/Tools and everything was hosed from the inventory to the management to the displays. Luckily for them there was so little business I ended up doing most of the displays myself because I had nothing else to do and I was tired of looking at empty wall space with no display models. Honestly, it may have even been my job to do those displays and no one ever bothered to tell me.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think retail stores just like, do that now. Doesn't matter where I go or what I'm buying. Less that 1/4 of the lanes are open, they're all backed up, the cashiers look like they want to die, and the customers are just resigned to standing there in line forever.

Well with the exception of aldi. If the lines back up at all aldi employees magically appear and open more lanes.

Every single grocery store here is like that, 1 or 2 lanes open max. They keep trying to get away with it at WalMart too but it never works and the lines wrap around the store. Target seems to actually have cashiers for whatever reason.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I did my part. When I worked at Blockbuster as a teenager I used to let the manager of the McDonald's across the street get free rentals in exchange for free food.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

Real talk: Netflix's days are numbered. Not like, immediately, and never underestimate the power of auto billing, but dropping all this money on original content people don't care about and the rights to Friends will not end well. Plus Disney and everyone else keeping streaming rights for themselves

Yeah like 90% of Netflix's original stuff I don't care about at all, regardless of how critically acclaimed it is. I already know one person weighing their decision to continue subscribing when they heard about the price hike.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Volmarias posted:

It can be both. MLB is dull as gently caress, since it takes so damned long, and the pacing is determined by TV.

I grew up a baseball fan and still am a baseball fan and it's just too long. Make the games 7 innings or something, idk.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

According to one of the many ongoing Star Wars threads on this webforum the park also sucks and the absurdly overpriced lightsaber breaks before you leave the park too. Whether either of those things are true or not I can't verify.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

In a remarkable coincidence I just tried to go into a Bed Bath and Beyond for the first time ever but they closed at 6 so now I'm in target.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

At least Target will call people to the registers if it's packed. Walmart just laughs at your 1 or 2 lines open with 40 registers and doesn't give a drat if you leave your cart or not because they know that you probably won't.

Our closest Walmart loves doing this, lines going the entire width of the store and they just keep their 2 lanes open and try to get people to go to self checkout which conveniently also has a line wrapped around the front of the store.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

post your filets itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wasn't that the goon that made a fake lootbox and sent everyone some combination of "cheap plastic teeth" and "a printout of a schematic of a train, which posters then found easily by Googling"

I think it turned out to be 2 teenagers from Tennessee or something.