Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
So I'm outgrowing my 256gb 850 Pro SSD in my GA-Z77x-UD3H system and found a nice deal on a 500gb 960 EVO M.2 drive which I pulled the trigger on. I ordered a PCI-e adapter for it as well and my understanding is I will also have to mod my BIOS to be able to boot from it, which is my intent. Has anyone something similar and got an M.2 NVMe drive running on an older board like this? I'm beginning to worry it might be a little outside my technical capabilites. Also, is it OK to clone my existing SATA SSD to the new M.2 or should I do a fresh install? I'm still running Windows 7 and would prefer not to upgrade to 10 at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

financially racist posted:

My 4690k is idling at 39C and gets up to 82C under load. I re-did the thermal paste and it made no difference. Can someone recommend me a good aftermarket CPU cooler? Or, alternatively, is this even something I really need to be concerned about or is it fine as is?

I wouldn't worry, personally.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

tofes posted:

My computer is starting to show its age with newer games. It's an i3-4330 with only 4gb of DDR3 RAM, is it worth buying a faster Haswell or Broadwell processor and more DDR3 RAM or should I just bite the bullet and invest in a new motherboard and DDR4? I only play games at 1080p and just bought a GTX 1060 6gb

I would get at least 16gb of DDR3 if I were you.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Wulfolme posted:

I found out why my old computer had been acting so funny.

The thermal paste from 2012 had turned into dried out playdoh! I'm surprised this thing even worked. I finally thought to put a temperature monitor on this and it was showing over 200.

Is this something I should have been refreshing every few years, or what?

The stock cooler on my 3570k did exactly the same thing recently. I replaced it with a Hyper T4.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

9.1 score and highly recommended is not very impressed?

e: beaten.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

What's the go-to motherboard pairing for an 8700k? Just looking for something stable that overclocks well and will last a long time. Fancy features, RGB's, etc are of no interest to me. What about if I go small form factor? Will that impair my ability to overclock?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

So both Asus and asrock have that problem? What’s the one to buy then?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Bosushi! posted:

How much will I be kicking myself in the future if I opt for a i7 8700 instead of the K variant?

For context, I'm looking to build my first system in almost a decade. (My current CPU is a Wolfdale core2duo.)

I've never been the type that wants to Overclock, and my primary uses would be gaming and some very light audio/video production.

I realize even without over clocking, the K has a fairly sizeable speed increase out of the box, but the scarcity of the K is getting irritating and I've been badly in need of an upgrade for a while.

If you aren't overclocking I believe the non-K is just fine. The difference out of the box isn't that significant. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on that?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Apparently my old cpu was bottlenecking even a gtx 970 badly. Games run now much better, pubg lobby& plane fps doubled, didn't notice any slowdowns and everything feels so nice. Maybe I should buy a 1080ti for that 3x perf increase. Must.. resist...

What did you upgrade from and to?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

ErikTheRed posted:

What's my best bet for doing a CPU+Mobo+RAM upgrade for around $500? Mostly for games, but some programming stuff in the mix too (Java, Docker).

My GTX 980 is still handling most stuff at 1440P just fine, it feels like my i5 4590 is starting to be a little bit of a bottleneck though.

Probably the i5-8400.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

i7-8700k popping in and out of stock on Newegg today. Looks like it's in stock at the time of this posting!

edit: and it's gone. But if you really want one just set up a text alert from nowinstock.net. They aren't that hard to get.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 7, 2017

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

i5-8400 is in stock at newegg right now. Heck of a value for a gaming rig.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The Leck posted:

Quick question to see if an upgrade is worth doing. I've started getting out of memory errors recently, particularly when playing PUBG. The guts of my system are getting a bit old, and I'm wondering if it's worth throwing some more RAM at it, or if it's just time for a mb/processor/ram overhaul. I'm currently running an i5-2500k and a GTX 1060 on a P67 mb with 8GB of RAM, and I have two slots left, so I could toss in another 8 for $60-80. I'd rather not go through a whole system upgrade right now, but I'm wondering if a little more memory will actually buy me much more time before that day comes.

More memory goes a long way in that game from what I understand. I have a 3570k and 16gb and the game has run well with both a 1070 and a 1080. I doubt a 1060 is that different.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but if I change my mobo/cpu/RAM but keep my SSD will I need a new key for windows 10?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I am planning on reinstalling the OS. It's one of those keys from SA-mart. I believe it's a 7 upgrade?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

Thinking about going with these:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF1H68938
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157789
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232181

The total comes out to $800 with the processor. Any suggestions for different components that would be better but still keep me in budget?

Looks good to me. You could save a little on the cooler with a lower end cryorig but the bigger is always better :)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

TheFluff posted:

My current system has an i5 3570k (stock, I never got around to overclocking it). How big of a deal is the current generation compared to that? I'm considering getting a new monitor to replace my current seven-year-old U2311H, and I'm looking at 27" at either 2560x1440 or 4k. I currently have a GF 970 that I got used from a friend a while ago, and especially if I go for 4k I figure I should probably upgrade that. Two questions arise from that though: how far should I upgrade the GPU, and should I also upgrade the CPU while I'm at it?

e: also, how big of a deal is G-sync? Should I wait for that new HDMI refresh thing that's supposed to come next year, are there any advantages to that?

Before you do anything, overclock that sucker. Mine runs at 4.4ghz like a dream. It's free performance you are leaving on the table.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Yeah, I guess it's not that hard. I probably need a better cooler, but that's cheap.

I ran 4.2 on the stock cooler for 4 years then my temps shot up, I think the thermal paste dried out? I put a Hyper T4 on there (~$20) and now it runs great at 4.4. I could probably push it farther as well but I never tried.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

ChiliMac posted:

The prices aren't really my concern, just want to know if there are any red flags or obvious alternatives. I don't really have a budget but I typically build to the mid-high end. I've read through the thread but I'm mind flooded at this point. Typically it takes me a month to settle on a build but because of the wishy-washy 8700k inventory I'm inclined to pull the trigger if there is inventory available.

I'll probably get a new monitor at some point, right now I'm using a LG 34UM64-P which is only 60 Hz. Also... do I need to plan to buy extra cabling or anything? It's been awhile.

My only comments would be to get a better cooler since you're getting the unlocked chip and to try for a higher refresh rate monitor.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

So I just upgraded my Z77 system to Z370 while keeping the same SSD. I was expecting to do a clean windows 10 install but to my surprise the system booted right up. It seemed like there are some possible audio issues (skipping in discord) so I installed the Realtek audio drivers from MSI's website (previous Z77 Gigabyte board also was Realtek). Do I need to go and install all the chipset drivers and whatnot? Should I just do a clean install anyway?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Typical posted:

So i just placed my order for the 8400. should I boost the cores to 3.9 for gaming and stuff. Is this a noticeable difference ? How does one go about this?

Does it automatically out of the box. Nothing to worry about.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Typical posted:

Oh wow, Excellent. what a deal!

Yea I almost picked one up but i managed to snag an 8600k first and the overclocking siren strong is still strong.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Upgrade and sell the old processor?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

INTJ Mastermind posted:

So I installed a pair of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM last night, the computer works fine at the default 2133 MHz but crashes on boot when I try to enable XMP. I'm using a MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC with the latest BIOS update. Looking on their website it appears my particular RAM (Model F4-3200C16S-16GVK) is only compatible with Z270 MBs. Is that a real thing? Should I just return it at this point and get another RAM that's compatible with my MB?

FWIW I have the Gaming Pro Carbon and the 3000 Ripjaws (F4-3000C15D-16GVKB) and they XMP up to 3000 no problem. I dont see that model on their website QVL either.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

I'm going to be picking up a motherboard, ram and 8700k from my local shop but I'm told that cpu does not come with cooling. I currently have a coolermaster hyper 212 which says that it supports socket 1151 with an * but won't say why. Will I have trouble mounting that cooler or it's not powerful enough or what's up with that asterisk?

You'll be fine. I have a T4 on my 8600k.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea I'll upgrade it to the twin fan instead. Cost difference is practically nothing.

Thanks

I just installed an NH-D15 yesterday on my 8600K and it's seriously impressive. Keeps everything under 70C in Prime95 small fft with the CPU running 5.0 ghz (-2 avx offset so 4.8 in prime 95) @ 1.3V. Doesn't go over 60C in games at a solid 5.0. I also have all the fans set super low, like 800rpm, so it's basically silent. I don't know why anyone would bother with water cooling if you have the space for one of these.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Kintamarama posted:

I can't believe I've done it, but I've gone ahead and ordered an i7 8700k when I still have a perfectly good i5 3570k at 4.4Ghz.

Anyway, my question is; Will my overclocking be limited by my NH-U14S without delidding? Is it worthwhile getting a h110i or something like that while I'm at it?

I went from an identically OC'd 3570k to an 8600k @ 5ghz (delidded, w/ NH-D15). It's a huge upgrade, you will like it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Ravarek posted:

What processor/motherboard combo should I be looking at if I'm looking to build a heavy gaming machine but I do not intend to overclock?

Cheapest z370 board you can get and an 8700. 8400 if your budget is tighter.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I would get a cheaper cooler If I were you since you are getting a locked chip. The ones it comes with is actually pretty much fine.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Anniversary posted:

Just ordered this, any last minute additions I should make (already have power supply and peripherals) or other potential concerns or hassles:

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler Master - Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler
Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
XFX Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 RX-580P8DFD6 XXX Edition 8GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card
Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case

You should be fine with the cooler that comes with the 1600 unless you really want the bigger one.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Microcenter has i7-7700 for $249.99 and i7-8700K for $379.99. Are these overkill for current generation games?

No.

Edit: although an OC'd 8600k crushes a 7700 in (current) games and is only a few bucks more.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How long after a chip is released does micro center start doing Mobo+cpu combos? I'm looking to build a new computer in March or April, and wondering if they will have combos by then

They’ve had them since launch.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Hmm, ok. Website for Cambridge/Boston only showing bundles for 7th gen

You have to add the two to your cart to see the discount. Last I checked they don't have it on their main Intel combo page.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Try this one crazy trick Microcenters don't want you to know about!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

There was a deal on 16gb DDR4 for $120 a while back and I bought two because why not. 32gb baby!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

fletcher posted:

The big heatsinks are so ugly though :(

Look how wrong you are.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series 750W 80+ Gold is what I'm leaning for my build. $100 at NewEgg this week. Should be more than enough to power my 1080 right?

Yes.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

If I put a PCIe M.2 card into an older Z87 system, can I boot from the M.2 SSD? Mobo is some gamer ASUS I think.

e: oh it seems I might have to use the fallback ACHI mode if I want to boot from it.

I did this with a Z77 board and I had to mod my bios.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

evilweasel posted:

This may be a dumb question but what's the standard way to install windows these days on a build-your-own? Hook up a temporary DVD drive, or something else?

USB drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

This ($281) is the cheapest I've seen the 8700k. It's basically the same price I paid for an 8600k! Nuts!

https://slickdeals.net/f/11391847-intel-core-i7-8700k-coffee-lake-3-7ghz-desktop-processor-280-50-free-shipping