Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I played MXP several years ago and had a lot of fun despite the HP bloat and not understanding a word of the story, so it's interesting to be following this.

I didn't really like RahXephon as a show at all (Great OST though, and I generally like the mecha and monster designs), though I'm curious about how MX's adaptation handles the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RahXephon felt more like how the NGE manga has been described to me more than the anime itself or Rebuild, though going into why would involve spoiler talk.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can't believe I'm saying this about an anime from the duo behind SEED and Destiny, but I'm going to watch Dendoh now. It sounds fun!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

G Gundam is extremely cool and good at everything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah its weird to see Asuka not only here but just flat out ordered not to sortie. Reminds me of that Vatican Treaty thing from Rebuild 2.22, sort of.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

: Asuka, your role in Operation Yashima is vital to it's success.
Really now. And here I thought Shinji and Wonder Girl were doing all the work. What do I do?
We've prepared an Evangelion sized Pedal Generator. Unit 02 will be riding it to provide more power to the Positron Rifle.
oh my god

I love you.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

MX, to its credit, is literally the best game in the franchise in terms of Evangelion BGMs, but I recall the lack of BGM switch ruining it.
The PSP port allows you to change tracks at least, though you're limited to what you've already heard in the game. No using MP3's a la Z3 as far as I can tell.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Because I can't read Japanese, when this choice came up I thought it would decide whether Kouji got the TFO or Mazinger Z for the rest of the game, and I was afraid of losing the unit I didn't pick altogether. I went with the Mazinger of course, but that it only changed the costume is interesting and cool.

EclecticTastes posted:

If we're talking about old anime dubs, may as well share the story of how my cool grandfather got me into SRW nearly a decade after his death, and how G4 came close to preventing it.
Your grandfather sounds like he was a cool dude. Ironically, it mirrors how mecha protagonist's own grandfathers left giant robots for their grandchildren to pilot.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 13, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

He was, I got my Super Nintendo from him (with the Super Game Boy, no less), and he introduced me to cream soda, for which I'll always be grateful. Much like a mecha protagonist's grandfather, he was killed by a sinister organization that operates well outside the laws of man and god, or in other words, the tobacco industry, hey-oooooo!
Lung cancer took one of my grandparents too. The most sinister industry indeed. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nagai never got into loving tentacle rape though, did he? loving Christ. :stare:
Eh, it's Nagai. I'm sure he did at some point.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rabidredneck posted:

A lot of Nagai's works use a lot of brutal violence. God Mazinger the manga alone features pages of innocent villagers getting wiped out to show how evil the evil guys are. Another series Susanoo, I quit reading as it got REALLY dark and depressing.
As far as violence goes against random innocents go, this is my favorite Nagai page. Grendizer manga spoilers I guess:

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 8, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For contrast's sake, let's all remember that Tohru Furuya was also the voice of Yamcha in Dragon Ball. He's been on both of the extreme ends of the badass spectrum!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I played A Portable I didn't realize you could increase a unit's accuracy with equipment until I was almost done with the game. :negative:

The MX Portable HP bloat felt generous in comparison. Also Rain was best girl in G Gundam.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 12, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The combined attacks are always so hype to watch. :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Where exactly does the Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai originate from?

Brunom1 posted:

: This man… Char Aznable, Zeon’s Red Comet…!
: (Hm…? What is this sinister feeling I’m getting from this man and his machine…?!)
: Data from this one’ll also be very valuable to the Medius!
: I may not know what you’re up to, but I do not care for how you see others as a means to meet your goals…!
Oh Quattro, I bet you've never betrayed anyone in your life too. :v:

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 22, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like big robots and I cannot lie.

That's one post down. I leave the rest to everyone else.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I still can't believe Beecha of all people ended up with the Hyaku Shiki.

loving Beecha.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So

I Beecha werent expecting that.
You Beecha'd right. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alacron posted:

Man the idea of Tetsuya being 18 or 19 is as dumb as Yoko from Gurren Lagann being 14, or Apollo from Aquarion being 13.

Anime always seems to give hilariously lowball numbers for characters ages.
I've often wondered how seriously we're supposed to take stated ages like that in anime. Like there's just no loving way Tetsuya or Yoko are that young.

Even Domon being like 21 is pushing it a bit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Masato being just a complete rear end in a top hat is just so amusing to me. :allears:

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 3, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If I were in Aqua's position I'd be pretty pissed too about the way Hugo is acting. I see Rain's point though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Just be glad God Voice doesn't have the old if it used to many times Akira will no longer be usable thing going on.
I dunno, that kind of sounds like an interesting mechanic if the attack is like absurdly powerful as a payoff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Broken Loose posted:

You say that now, but the way it worked was that if you used it too many times during the game then Akira passes out permanently just before the final boss fight. (They did a similar thing for SRX combinations in Alpha, as well, where you only got to combine a certain number of times total over the course of the game)
See I'm the kind of person that would find that super amusing. Maybe it's just me!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love reading the reactions to the Zeorymer plot. :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't know that I can call it good, but Zeorymer is Zeorymer as hell. It's only four episodes long so if you don't like it, it's not a huge investment of time anyways.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

What I'm getting from all this is that much of Hades Project Zeorymer is the mecha anime equivalent of Funny Games. Just a bad person doing horrible things to people who didn't deserve it (well, in the cases of the Hakkeshu, didn't deserve it at first, and even then Masaki goes way too far), and getting away with it, with the whole thing framed heroically as a cynical indictment of the audience. Given the commentary, I doubt the execution is as good as Funny Games, but it's an interesting concept if I'm reading it right.
Unlike Haneke's didactic nonsense in both versions of Funny Games, Zeorymer isn't really an indictment of the audience. It's just a straight genre piece IMO, but a cynical one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've never thought the "Ayato is a Mulian!" twist ever landed with much weight in the anime. I think I actually like it a little better here with the response from the Magnate Ten people and Isshiki being a dick.

Alacron posted:

Man, was Isshiki always this much of dickhead? I have a tough time remembering Rahxephon characters that aren't Ayato or Haruka or Elvy.
I think so, but yeah RahXephon characters kind of have that problem.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

In the Rahxephon anime we see a Mulian connected to some kind of control device die after Ayato defeats a MU, so when Hiroko starts to lose it you already know how this is going to end and that makes the scene even more cruel.

Many episodes of Rahxephon feel like a retread of Eva's, but this is the one where I'd say they actually did it better. It is pretty much the best episode in all of Rahxephon.
I wouldn't say it's better than the similar Eva episode (They're about equal to me, independent of the surrounding context), but it's certainly the best RahXephon episode and The Second Sorrow in particular is one of the most memorable pieces of music in a show with an already really loving good OST. I'm also like 95% certain Rebuild of Eva references this RahXephon episode, which is amusing to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh man, I finally got caught up on this after having fallen behind around Christmas.

Brunom, that you're able to crank out these updates so quickly is something that both impresses and terrifies me. Luckily you use your powers for good instead of evil.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 24, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

And then MXP goes one further with its HP bloat, thus prolonging your suffering.

Look at Zero's HP here, for instance. Now add about 50% more HP to what he has. And having to deal with him coming back to life over and over again. This stage (and a lot of these endgame finales) is not fun to play in MX Portable.
This is the stage that really screwed me when I was playing MX Portable.

Because I don't read Japanese and I didn't use a guide for most of it, I didn't even realize at first that you had to kill both guys within the same turn at first. It was the worst. :negative:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't know Rom Stoll really before reading this LP, but man he is something. :allears:

Hokuto posted:

I am not working on Alpha 3 yet. I happen to have a full set of script dumps that I grabbed out of interest a while back, so I was checking those against some of the MX text to see what I could find for specific term usage.

You can go check my posts in the Super Robot Wars Megathread in Games if you want to see a couple of samples of the Alpha 2 work I've been doing, though.
I'll bet you an entire U.S. dollar that you're able to put out an Alpha 3 patch before Aeon Genesis puts out that Alpha 1 patch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hokuto posted:

People make this joke, but I've got nothing but respect for Aeon Genesis and Gideon. There's no sense in comparing groups.
I mean, I respect what they were able to get done with other games but we're coming up on the 10th anniversary on the project being officially announced. It's just disappointing that nothing ever came of it.

EclecticTastes posted:

But I'm also pretty sure they've declared that project officially dead, so nobody's even actively working on it.
Did they? It's still listed as an active project on their site but that's also not been updated since the middle of 2015.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 31, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm thinking the series would be Evangelion (original, not Rebuild), Fafner, RahXephon (minus the ending), Bokurano, Ideon, Zambot 3, Shin Mazinger Zero (only the "Juuzou Kabuto goes insane and evil" universe), Mazinkaiser SKL, New Getter Robo (only the bad future from that horrible dream Ryouma had), Zeta Gundam, Victory Gundam, Char's Counterattack (actual CCA, like in Alpha 2, not just mechs), Gundam 0080 (except Chris learns what happened to Bernie and no you can't save him), Tekkaman Blade, Detonator Orgun, Nadesico (with Prince of Darkness), Drakengard (Angelus is like a mech), and Sergeant Frog. Maybe Code Geass, too, if he can change the ending to be less hopeful. Anything I might have missed?
Voices of a Distant Star, perhaps?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's a shame because I like his unit, but Akito should sit on that bench.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thanks for everything, Brunom. :)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zeorymer is extremely powerful and also my friend. I definitely would not ditch him for a more powerful, greater version.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

On NG+ or something it could be an MP Eva. :unsmigghh:

Alacron posted:

You know what would be really neat if they ever do Zeorymer again? If Great Zeorymer showed up not as secret unit, but as a boss long after the finale of the show. You know, to keep things relevant beyond just "Oh, here's Omzack again 20 missions later, kill him again okay?"
Yeah it could be interesting. You could have Masaki split from Masato somehow and upload his personality into it or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Good work, Brunom. :)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Congrats on all your hard work, Brunom!

May you no longer be haunted by Izumi's puns while you sleep at night.
Yeah that would be a harsh pun-ishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

• Locked thread