Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
With the sequel in Eearly Access, I should probably finally play the first Original Sin, which I grabbed before it was done and told myself I'd finally play it when it was more developed :downs:

You know, while I'm going back across other games I own like "Holy gently caress, I finally beat Skyrim's main quest the other day"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I still need to get around to the first game myself, but I expect I will need to relearn what I call the "Arcanum lesson", down to Arcanum being the first time I ever got the concept through my head.

That starting out able to pick locks or backstab, doesn't help very much when you can only make one limp wristed backstab before getting your poo poo kicked in by the rest of the enemies.

But starting out able to handle yourself in basic combat, gives you a lot more wiggle room to grow into being a ninja.

Now, if only I could ever actually focus on things in any given game, rather than wanting to to a billion things :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Clever Spambot posted:

Durability is harder to fit into modern games well but i feel like it can work well as a mechanic to force you to use multiple weapons and change up your playstyle (new vegas and dark souls 2 did this well) or having a game that straight up disallows repairing or makes it prohibitively expensive to make you need to constantly be scavenging for things (survival games and some roguelikes do this). If it is just a number that slowly ticks down on your items that occasionally requires you to put a negligible amount of money into it every time you are in town then yes it is a worthless mechanic

Durability is more usually an easy bulletpoint to claim you have some kind of hardcore resource management, despite even Darksouls keeping it as just a padding filler speedbump as I just sigh and slather repair powder on stuff despite being spit on by acid worms. 90% of the time, if you removed item durability, all you would lose is "I need to stop and repair my items".

Even without considering how much of the time, you do it while pausing the game yet there are still people who act like it adds "Tension" to combat, rather than disrupting it. (Look, New Vegas. You do a lot right, but smashing a backpack full of assault/laser rifles together like a caveman is NOT something I missed in Fo4).

Some stuff it makes sense for the overall game, like Jagged Alliance. Because in that case you are managing a rebellion for hire, so logistics actually matters . Note to self, play more than a confused few hours at a time every so often for JA2.

I admit, I'm more used to hearing people defending durability being the ones who are in it for the cheap E Peen they get for talking up how much more casual it would be without it. Rather than well worded defenses of the prospect. Even when it's nowhere near as engaging as they make it out to be (Still looking at you, New Vegas).

An open world type game does compound the issue, to be fair. Because then durability can turn a nice preplaced find into "Well, I practically can't repair this on the go. So uh... guess I'll just sell it/shelve it until my level scales enough for it's repair fodder to become common".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 4, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zore posted:

Well this is one way to make repairing matter

Ugh. :barf:

Rascyc posted:

Stupid. loving euro RPGs!!

:agreed: MMO/Diablo time sinks are not "hardcore survival". No matter how often people fellate New Vegas's pausing the game to smash your a backpack full of dozen identical laser rifles together like a caveman.

Jastiger posted:

Oh you can bash doors with magic? Well then derp lol.

Yeah, I'm pretty used to/tired of "Realism means you need to obey my take on the laws of physics!" having an immeduate U-turn of "But Magic gets a pass, not my fault Magic isn't realistic! Enjoy my house rule not allowing you to knock out people with arrows while I still let people do it by setting people on fire with spells!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 19, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't know, I really enjoyed that specific repair system.

...well, okay, one hundred percent because of that exact mental image :shobon:

Well you're honest about how it actually works out, so that's perfectly okay :buddy:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

The only game that would have had a fun durability system is Skyrim, because for the vast majority of the game, you come across thousands of identical copies of your currently equipped weapon per minute. Repairing would just become some entirely optional RP thing you could do to coddle your personal metal short sword Excalibur and be a cool and tough viking who hits poo poo with hammers, or if you didn't care you could just toss it and start using any one of the other 5 identical swords in your inventory that have max durability. Rinse and repeat.

But that game didn't have weapon durability because Bethesda couldn't design a cohesive and well-thought-out and synergistic mechanical ecosystem if their lives depended on it.

And yet people still defend fallout 3/NV's "Pause combat to smash your backpack full of a dozen assault rifles into eachother like a caveman" system as some kind of amazingly hardcore design :v:

Honestly, if the main thing you lose from ditching your durability system is "You don't have to stop to fix it", it's just there for padding out something. Whether it's time, or acting like there is more resource management than there really is. Or just so they can feel clever by letting you find cool stuff early, only to make actually maintaining it not reasonable until it's supposed to be common. (See also, cool ammo based weaponry found before they want you to use it on the regular)

I'm reminded somewhat of Arcanum. Where would often end up just shrugging, and killing golems and fire elementals with my bare hands shirtless. Because actually bothering to use my sword on an enemy would dent it more than the quicker time to kill would be worth. Compared to literally punching a rock monster to death instead.

And here we are, where it seems some of the intentions for durability is to penalize you for busting open locks. To the point a wooden crate with a padlock is more devastating to your blade than killing a whole pile of horrible demons or whatever.

Hurdles for the sake of hurdles, basically. Even when well intentioned.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think that is the reason, because characters have multiple options in combat. They have normal attacks, special attacks item attacks like grenades and arrows, they can move to various positions, they can use an item in their inventory to change their equipment or their health/status/resistances... the result of each of those choices must go to all clients anyway. Setting the results of normal attacks and specials as a fixed seed to save packets wouldn't save all that much bandwidth considering how much else you still have to send.
Yeah that's no good. There is a big difference between "We want to make save scumming less convenient" and "Your tactics don't actually matter because moving into a better position for your shot does gently caress all, but it's okay because it's to prevent save scumming!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 9, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

If the next number is a 90, then adjusting your position to go from 70% hit chance to 80% hit chance will still end up in a miss. If the next number is instead a 60, you'd hit even without moving. If the number is a 75, doing that adjustment is the difference between a hit and a miss. Doing something that improves your accuracy by 10%, affects the result 10% of the time!

The difference between a PRNG and a "true" random number generator literally only matters if you're savescumming. If you're not savescumming, it's impossible for you to even tell the difference.

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to prove it's happening if you don't stop to gather evidence it's happening :v:

If maneuvering into more favorable positions, and other tactical decisions that should make a difference in a game truly don't help? IF that is the method put to use, then that's still pretty lovely no matter how many times you yell "But only people who load their saves will notice!"

I get why devs would have the desire to "Prevent savescumming", both from a frustration standpoint of people trying to "Work around the encounters". AS well as to appease their core demographic which can get quite loud if people are not playing it they way they think is "correct".

But if it DOES end up done to the point where some RNG mechanics is more focused on prevention of altering results (Such as the above mentioned moving closer for a better shot not actually changing the outcome any, while lazy wins if it was prerolled to succeed), than it cares about gameplay? Ouch.

RNG chat is always nearly as bad as alignment chat though, so this won't be a pretty subject from now to post launch. No matter what methods are used now or later.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 20, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

Isn't there a targeting line to help show you if it'll hit something or is this a different issue where the targeting line is clear but is still smacks into something?

This is a problem that plagues countless games. From bullets to arrows. But you'd figure an isometric game would get more leeway of just going "Eh gently caress it, have the player's shots clip through"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

"They can silence us, which means we can't rely on spells! So we'll have to be creative, by using spells!"

:raise:

I mean, those are nice examples of regular abilities and spells. But it does come across as fairly odd pitch for thinking outside the box. "We're gonna need to be creative! So watch this Rogue use five abilities then still gently caress up their backstab against a caster with a bared midriff, while our wizard teleports plate armored people into lava. Like usual"

Still, I will be finally remembering to grab this soon if waiting for launch to actually play.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 8, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Well, Larian has never been very good at selling their own systems. Even Divinity: Original Sin, before release, relied largely on the fans actually talking the combat up rather than Larian's promotional materials.

That said, the Touch of Decay + healing grenade combo was pretty inspired.

Yeah, they got my money again even though I've yet to finish one of these games :downs: I'm glad there are lots of crazy systems for people to play with in the first place.

I'm just an old fashioned "Can't I just sneak and smash people with the occasional fireball" guy at heart. Along with being just terrible at deciding on an efficient single goal build.

I expect to go through my usual curve in all such games of getting all sorts of fiddly things first, failing, and then a do over where I start with the practical stuff. Like even that trailer and my first several attempts at say, Arcanum demonstrated. All that sneaky ninja poo poo doesn't amount to anything if you are still too much of a wuss to make use out of it.

"I have a filament sword now, I bet investing all my stuff into sneak attack first will finally pay off-Oh dear I've cut myself in half"

EDIT: Pet pal is just required, of course.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 8, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JustJeff88 posted:

The irony is not lost on me, I assure you. A fun game with a poorly chosen title as it has just as much magic as any typical 3/3.5e/pathfinder/d20 game. In fact, minor magic items are common and affordable. I very much enjoy the game, but a more apt title would have been a simple "D20 Combat Simulator"

Low magic setting is usually code for writers or GMs that want to have magic for their plot points and enemies on demand but don't like the protagonists or players being able to to anything they don't like. The lore usually talks up how rare or vanishing magic is between the plot still revolving around magic use.

Divinity's take on that tagline seems to be "Well, if all these evil wizards are still running around it makes no sense for the players to not have that too right?" which on it's own is worth admiring as a concept, even if it does seem the end result can be fiddly.

Now I'm imagining some guy trying to do a Conan the Barbarian game, realize the place is loving lousy with sorcerers and demons, and says "Well if that kind of magic is still all over the place, that means it's not the rare magic :pseudo: therefore okay for players". :allears:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 8, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The big complaint isn't really that Elf and Undead racials are overpowered as it is about Lizard/Dwarf/Human racials being underwhelming. Corpse Eater is a unique and interesting mechanic. +1 to Bartering/Sneak/Persuasion is not that interesting.

Yeah I would hope more for "Other racial abilities are also awesome" more than "Okay we nerfed X and then made the other stuff slightly less mediocre."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting into this game. Is this a game that will allow you to make a mistake building a character, or do you only get one shot to make a combat optimal build and you're hosed if you deviate from the max dps strategies?

I can understand the questions and concerns, given how much of a mixed message "You don't need optimal play, you just need to abuse and cheese everything :science:" being the most common response is.

Which leads me back to my own thoughts.

nerdz posted:

One problem I had with the first one was that melee chars were kinda situational. The melee char in my party was fully specced to be as tankish as possible, disregarding all damage output in favor of survivability. She still did lots of work casting level 1 spells, but the melee combat itself wasn't that worth it. Did they make it better? In this video showcasing the combat it's hilarious to me that the melee tank does poo poo all and the one combat skill he casts is a ranged one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga6uJaGyrEk

That it's a whole lot of "Oh it's no problem*" and it's all based around how much you spam every special effect possible, because just trying to make your Knight be a Knight can just :fuckoff: , but you're assured combat is still easy because look, the wizard teleported a dude into lava!

Though this could work out for the best with my indecisive mindset. Where 'but I want to cram a couple spells onto my fight mans for funsies' is actually the expectation rather than me doing something wrong. But still leaves the wonder of how much your actual fight man stuff matters beyond being a better decoy.

I mean, even in trailers trying to show off how awesome everyone is. Cloak+Teleport rogue backstabs do gently caress all to witches. So if that's them doing WELL, what's their normal gameplay like? Not going to be anywhere near bad obviously, but probably not as straightforward as hoped even if you make them the best person stabber in all the land.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 10, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Futaba Anzu posted:

for what it's worth me and my friend cleared most of the EA content on classic doing mostly standard fighting with not much cheesing. We always fought at the same level of the enemies and the one or two instances of cheese we did it was against completely uneven circumstances that we weren't level wise ready for.

Yeah. The vibe is reminding me less "Bad balance bad GM", and more "My pal who is so excited about encouraging the party to abuse the hell out circumstances, he forgets this often leaves gently caress all for the Fighter to do even if they brought javelins"

He too, likes barrel stacking. But he also considers that if the party even enters the room the encounter is in, we're doing something wrong. But it's bizzaro world "Wants the party to win without getting hurt." rather than stereotypical hardcore GM.

A good time is had, but you still feel things are a bit off. That's the worst I'm expecting.

nerdz posted:

I had a dude fully focused on being a melee rogue, and he struggled a lot. Then I gave him a bow and with zero bow skills he suddenly became the MVP of the party due to all the special arrows I had stockpiled.

Sounds about right.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Caidin posted:

Two handed is the superstar of melee and in all my passes of EA content I think they probably do the best damage period, the damage on big weapons spikes way harder then magic. My casters can do healing, teleport fools and do a lot of surfaces but status effects and thus CC don't land unless you've already busted their magic or physical armor and every point of the warfare skill you have increases the amount of damage you do to physical.

The Warfare skill category has Phoenix Dive, Huntsman has Tactical Retreat and Scoundrel has Cloak and dagger and important thing about these skills is that they are all teleports with different side effects and only cost 1 ap. This means no one the field is really out of reach, and generally wizards have low physical armor so you can get right into their health and start putting poo poo like Knock Down on them.

Be a warrior, rock greatswords, wreck nerds.

Hmm, I wonder if you can spec a Cleric for Two-Handed without "Wasting" points from having them start with one handed skills or somesuch? Probably could work out the other way around with a tough guy going to magical med school after the fact.

I've been actively avoiding obsessively reading through wikis for once. Though I did notice Clerics apparently start with a skill that curses a dude to take damage from healing.

I'm wondering what the interaction of that would be on Undead players? Would that flip the whole "Heal hurts zombies" deal, or would they still take damage? I'll probably be boring and not play a zombie to start with :downs: But it's worth wondering about.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jack the Lad posted:

I picked this up and played a bit with a buddy over the weekend. It's really fun and I'm hype for the full release.

It's called One Man Army now, but yeah.

e: Where/when can you get better weapons at the moment? I grabbed the spear from the cave zombie guy but haven't found anything else decent at all.

Yeah I figured I might as well look at the character creation screen but... Uh, are we really only given one Talent to start with?

"Okay, you can either take Opportunist or whatever specific talent is needed for your class to even do it's job... Or Pet pal."
"...Why can't I start with both?"

I'm also not seeing either one man army, or lone wolf on the list. Do they gate that to a later level so you can't have it when you start the game without a full party to hide behind, or something? Because I do see tooltips at least mention one man army, like how Glass Cannon is incompatible.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Caidin posted:

Yeah I think you got to hit level 8 before OMA is even accessible. In single player at any rate I fully intend to just cheat engine a drat trait point in for pet pal if they haven't gotten any less frugal with the things.
And we're back to the mixed messages about options. Pet Pal OP.

Okay. Is it just a really jarring tool tip error overlooked. Or does slotting the Knight preset really change Scoundrel and Marksmen dagger and ranged powers into "Gets a bonus from Strength", and the other way around for Finesse boosting warfare picks if you started out as a rogue preset? Is this actually a really cool thing you can do for realsies, or am I getting cock teased with that degree of customization?

Also in "Can I actually use these crazy options" land. I do hope that Necromancy spell I saw glancing at the barely there wiki, Shackles "All damage dealt to you, is dealt to the target", works for/does not get nerfed into the pavement for friendly fire. Even if I never use it, I want to live in a world where you defeat the boss by beating the poo poo out of your teammate like a voodoo doll. Then everyone argues over what happens when you shoot your zombie teammate using said spell with poison to heal him, or healing spells to hurt him.

EDIT: Oh right, I saw talk about how you still get EXP while KOd, which is good! But then I saw mention how that doesn't work on higher difficulty levels, which sounds about right for "Higher difficulty". But there are only two difficulties, so is that "Real RPG fan difficulty unlocked later" harder, or "Go play Exploration easy mode if you want EXP regardless" harder.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 12, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Futaba Anzu posted:

skill damage can scale off whatever depending on your weapon choice, yes. but skill cc effects are either physical or magical (you can check by looking at what the saving throw is) so it's not too advised to use a physical skill that has let's say knockdown with int scaling weapons.

the not sharing exp stuff they're talking about is for os1. os2 shares exp in battle no matter what as long as you participate. no clue if that'll stay the same on release
Okay. I know it would hardly be the first time that "Skewed towards the physical, rather than magical" cross classes get hosed over while the developers swear they are just as viable and balanced as the rest.

But using a staff at the same time as knockdown powers, is kind of Inquisitors whole deal by default. Is it really that poo poo, or is there something I'm missing that gives inquisitor start specifically a pass?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nothing to do with Knight. It's Warfare: Warfare skills are tied to the weapon type you're using, and use the favoured attribute for that weapon. I think many or all Polymorph skills work the same way. This means that these skills are still useful even if you are using non-STR-based weapons.

Two difficulties now, two more on release: Tactical, which has altered enemies (not just stats, different enemy placement) and altered AI, and Honor, which is Tactical, with Permadeath (a single save which is deleted on party wipe).

About 25%. The game has three acts. The first and third are about 25% each, the second is about 50%.
I'm going to assume you mean Warfare in the broad general sense of "Skills that swing or shoot a weapon", rather than the specific skill actually called warfare. Considering like I said, presets would turn Scoundrel and Marksman skills into "Bonus from STR", the same way picking Warfare with other classes would make those say things got a bonus from finesse instead.

So it would indeed make sense if it's just eyeballing whatever weapon was equipped and shrugging out the relevant physical stat, if not clarify "Will this actually work worth a drat?" then still leave me wondering if default Inquisitor "Staff is what you use for Battering ram, right?" is viable or some kind of prank by the devs.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 12, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

KyloWinter posted:

Why have a straight up no-magic guy when you don't have to?
This would be more convincing an argument in every game ever that says it, if not for the fact "Pure caster" remains premium while everyone is rolling their eyes at trying to get even half the mileage out of their martial tree.

That and again throwing the classes the developers themselves put into the game under the bus.

What, you picked Knight or Rogue instead of Metamorph or Shadowblade? Why didn't you turn them into a caster or mutating horror ASAP like Metamorph or shadowblade?

If the game is so focused around making sure to take side spells as basically mandatory, it makes all those classes that don't default as Fighter/Wizard seem rather out of place. It would certainly mean I would have few issues with it, for the game itself to make up it's mind on and be open about that situation.

You'd get a lot less "So my vanilla sword n board guy is pretty lackluster" posters, if they didn't feel the obligation to make that a preset anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 12, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

In the beta, I started putting Aerothurge onto my Rogues so I could get useful movement utility skills like Teleport, Netherswap, and Favourable Wind. Fighters could get Haste and Clear-Minded. There are useful utility spells which don't benefit from INT that even physical damage dealers can make use of.

I do hope though that the full version takes the godawful Contamination skill off of Fighters, it just makes zero sense for a melee warrior to not only start out with 2 Earth Magic spells and 1 Warfare spell, but to have the second Earth Magic spell be one which turns all blood around, including the stuff they're almost certainly going to be standing in, into poison.

Both I think. They are both gone now, I believe, because it made magic even more unbalanced.

Oh so it wasn't just me thinking that was a bit risky for the stock fighter :v:

Is there a planned preview system for build picks or higher tier abilities? Because while on paper "Get teleports and stuff for your Rogue that relies on positioning more than anyone else" is a great idea, in practice it means an open wiki in your lap to know about such side picks.

Like "How to: Make blood gush everywhere without a literal rain of blood or looking up what special abilities that apply bleed"

For some clarity with my questioning stuff, I'm still expecting this to be a cool time. I'm just expecting it to be more fiddly than hoped.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nasgate posted:

I'm not sure where the pure fightmans thing is a problem in this game. Literally every class starts with two sets of ability access. A fighter is hitting things and geomancy(which fits well since most geomancy animations are very physical) and Knight is hitting things and fire iirc. The difference between a rogue and the shadow rogue class is one point in necromancy vs geomancy.

You can also pick your starting skills so you don't need contamination on your fightmans. Though it's hilariously good on a zombie character.
Knight is pure Warfare, and puts that stray point into Two-handed. Rogue is pure scoundrel, and puts his stray point into dual wield. Because I guess the idea is "Maybe if my job is to stab things, learn to use a weapon"? compared to Fighters and Rangers skipping weapon school for magic buffs.

While on the subject of "Why would you ever start with sword skills for your class that wants to use a sword ? :confused:", does this game gate your ability to actually hold weapons or put on pants? Or is it gated by levels, or please god "not at all enjoy finding good gear early."

I am to be fair, currently considering "So, what if. Edgelord Warfare/Necromancy?" If Inquisitor does 2/3 warfare that by default despite INT and Staff focus (That I'm getting mixed messages on) hopefully doing it with more than a bathrobe and fancy stick works out.

But it still feels off kilter how using your weapons is so incredibly back seat, that taking a weapon skill to start is doing it wrong :v: Like, BOTH archery presets skip the ranged weapons skill, when you'd expect shooting stuff with a bow would be harder to do compared to winging it with a blunt object. Though that would certainly be much less of a concern if literally the only thing weapon skill dictated was a flat buff, rather than "Please insert dual wield 4 or stay with rusty bread knife"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 13, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fighters are the "tank" type of fighter, so they get Geomancy for Fortify. That doesn't excuse the silly decision to give them Contamination, but it is a reason.

Weapons have an equipment level. There is a -20% penalty to accuracy for every level a weapon is above your character level. I thought that weapon proficiency boosted accuracy by a bit as well. Or maybe I just made the suggestion that it should. It's been a while.

One handed does, but it's a small 2-5% boost per level or something. So while I'm very glad weapon skills seem to just be pure (small) buff no fuss, it's always irritating when they try to band-aid difficulty by not letting you use cool equipment if you manage to get it. At least, in games where loot grind isn't the central focus like Diablo or MMOs.

"Play it your way! Oh you found a slightly better bow and want to use it right now, in this solo/co-op roleplaying game? That's cute."

Though it's not like that's some kind of surprise flaw nobody would see coming. Even if It is the sort of thing that keeps me from ever wanting to dual wield from it being twice the pain in the rear end to maintain.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jastiger posted:

This is why the game is so good. You have to think outside the box and use strategy instead of just grinding your way past things on a first play through. It makes it so much more dynamic and useful, so that when you DO get those abilites you really are a god PLUS you have the tactical know-how!

It's "thinking outside the box" to be a sterotypical murder hobo party and scorched earth friendly NPCs to get by? :v:

I mean, I have a pal who when he has the chance to run nerdgames for us has literally encouraged the party to stack barrels, regular not even explosive barrels, because entering even the same room the encounter is placed isn't optimal (But he's doing it out of the sense of 'wants players to win' well meaning, at least).

So if anything, my desire for variety would be "Hey, maybe don't scream someone could have stacked barrels in front of a hallway to bait enemies into a prepared magical killbox, if they want something more straightforward for once." Thinking outside the box for the genre is NOT spamming the poo poo out of such things, oddly enough.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

myDad posted:

Some of the changes upon release are questionable. Melee feels like a liability now since a lot of the cheap melee abilities were changed to require 2 AP. On the other hand, wizards auto attacks feel even stronger & archers' special arrows have always been incredible.

Sounds about right, I'm admittedly waiting at least a day for basic hot fixes. But I do wish there wasn't a trend in PvE games for "Balance is making your stuff suck more" rather than "Maybe make the other stuff as good?"

All the more ironic for a game pitched about all your options :v: Look at all these great options you have oh whoa there kid, dial it down a bit with that whole success without the approved exploits.

Speaking of melee and ramped up ability scores. Does it take more AP to use a two-handed sword than a one handed sword or dual wield? I thought I heard that was the case. I could understand it for bows because you get to use them from long range with fancy ammo, and Divinity is a game where "But your advantage is RANGE!" isn't a flimsy excuse to make you crumple like wet paper as soon as enemies get near you while only dealing as much or less damage as melee.

enraged_camel posted:

This is horrible. I'm stuck at the character screen. Decision paralysis sucks!

I was gonna go melee, but now people are saying melee isn't good...

Also, is it not possible to get corpse eater unless you go custom undead elf?
Melee does often seems to fall under "Martial skills are great!... If you also use X, Y, Z, and use your strength to carry a bunch of barrels around" beyond outliers that still take as much if not more effort than ranged options, yeah.

Fight mans takes magic spells for haste, so he doesn't run out of AP before even swinging his sword and actually do his job! Magic mans takes warrior stuff, who does not need any martial stuff to function but hey look, free crits! (Given there is a talent that listed half crits for spells, unless that's gone). Now let's nerf Rogues who spend AP and memory slots on teleportation so he can even backstab in the first place.

Hmm, that reminds me. Backstab is listed as a special effect on abilities. Does backstab work regardless, or does it get blocked by enemies still having physical armor remaining like other effect riders? I'm having trouble finding stuff and the most recent comment I've seen on backstab questions was how "It's a default to daggers now without a talent, but I think it costs extra AP to attack from behind?"

EDIT: And now I'm curious if Warfare passive "Increase damage to physical armor" applies to stuff like Geomancy.

Bonus Edit: Oh looks like there is no more passive bonus to physical armor on any skill. I get the feeling "Earth Damage" counts to physical armor, but not benefit from physical buffs?
And also Enrage is no longer a default choice option for Warfare. Throwing a shield on cooldown with no strength bonus is just as good as on demand crits, right?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NeurosisHead posted:

Does the stat requirements for armor and weapons scale with level, or will always be (for example) 12 strength required to equip 2 handed weapons? I'm making an inquisitor who uses warfare, aero, and hydro to get close to low magic armor enemies, stun them and beat them with a staff. I'm starting to realize though that I'd like to keep a 2 hander around for when the enemy calls for physical damage but I don't want to spread my points too thin trying to keep int and strength and con all leveled up.

This is a good question, because I took assurances weapons only have a level requirement at face value when asking if they had weapon skill requirements and completely overlooked the should have been obvious "Wait, what about Strength, dex, whatever?" stats themselves.

But I would certainly expect them to demand more points, just by virtue of the fact most games that put stat needs on leveled gear in the first place can't help but double dip your number gates. So until told otherwise, assume the requirements will go up. Finding your magical fightmans with a few too many points in strength for an optimal build would still be preferable to not being allowed to use new gear at all.

Gentleman Baller posted:

When they have accused you and the dialogue is still up, you can still open up your inventory, transfer the item to someone out of eyesight who can throw it to the ground before you say 'yeah search me I'm clean. '

If this doesn't work for you you might need telepathy but I remember this sort of thing working in Original Sin 1 so I think it's fine.

Suggesting people abuse UI loopholes or take secondary skills to make thievery even workable doesn't really come across as it being a polished and viable skill, even if you think it's fine :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
For anyone who has at least played through the EA. How common are spears? I like the idea, and they are the "Finesse" two-handed weapon. But I'm so used to niche weapons being in short supply without foreknowledge pointing you to guaranteed loot, compared to the more common statistic equipment.

Speaking of two-handed weapons and stats. I've noticed they gave the inquisitor a huge fuckoff two-handed Warhammer instead of a staff now in the presets. But it still says their warfare skills get a bonus off INT in chargen.

Then what the heck is dictating the damage bonus stat? Or is it a baked in chargen menu listing rather than a "Real" tooltip? But then, I could have sworn I saw someone say Necro works off STR, when I've yet to see that in any tooltip for anything.

I will openly admit that wonky tooltips/instructions is always something that bugs me quite a lot. But in a game like this, that sort of information is much more important than "Megaman 1 manual told kid me down lets you crouch, when it doesn't".

More philosophical questions: If Elemental affinity gives you a 1 AP discount for casting elemental spells while standing in said element. Does "Blood" count as an elemental? (I get the feeling you can't get away with 'pavement and dirt road = bonus to rock spells'). I bet the discount has a "1 AP minimum" limitation anyways, even if it gave a discount on sucking up blood like a vacuum or shooting mosquitoes at people in the first place.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

The whole thieving thing in this game is an overcorrection from D:OS 1 where the only thing keeping you from never having to pay for anything was arbitrary limits to how much you could pickpocket.

It's stuff like this that give me a flinch reaction to "Think outside the box!" because nearly every time I try to think outside the box (or just use my own take on Normal Boring Gameplay) Devs and (most) GMs get mad :saddowns: But then I'm also used to even the most rules exploitey players and GMs getting upset that my attempts to use incredibly basic things don't fit their mindset.

Options! Think outside the box! Look at all these cool ways you can snap the game over your knee!-Whoa there, you're using invisibility to make pick pocketing easier? What is this horseshit ruining my carefully plotted out curve :mad:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Heads up potential necromancers, apparently blood rain now needs points in Hydro to craft, or something.

Very glad I'm waiting at least a day for hotfixes and wikis to shake out a bit. As that would have been a rude moment for my original considerations of a Warfare/Necro ala Inquisitor.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Exodee posted:

Or you can just buy the skill book straight from a vendor, no need to craft the skill yourself.

e:

As someone who went through the EA with spears (as a Lizard, no less), they're slightly less common than other weapons, but every major vendor had spears in their stock in my experience. You can also get a decent spear very early in the game if you have someone with some strength in your party.

Most of that is encouraging, even if "We hid the DEX weapon behind a STR check!" is exactly the sort of thing I asked the question in the first place for :v:

Hopefully there isn't too much of that, to lessen the awkward feeling of collecting piles of swords on your way to buy a new Not Sword.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kharmakazy posted:

As a heads up... there is no undo when leveling up now. You click on dex, your point is spent on dex with no take baksies unless you reload your save. Why the hell would they get rid of a perfectly good feature like that!?

Have you heard about our lord and savior, hardcore permadeath bragging rights? Every action matters, even your out of combat menu clicks. One wrong move could be your last For your optimized build plan :clint:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Is it important to plan to max out skills? I assume the answer is "hell yes" for Summoning at least, but for other ones, are the passive bonuses something you're really going to need to stack as high as possible as early as possible?
Unless there is some obtuse undocumented extra scaling benefit to raising Skills vs INT, boring Pyro and Aero passives "Just damage, that's it" are probably the schools you are best off leaving at the minimum needed to cast stuff in the first place.

+1 INT? 5% damage to all spells!
+1 Pyro or Aero? +5% Damage to JUST Pyro or Aero spells!-wait, come back, this is a great passive!

Meanwhile, stuff like not skimping out on Hydro is probably needed more as I get the gut feeling it's tuned for "You need bonus to meet par" as things escalate.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

The common response to this that I've seen is that some enemies have really high physical armor but really low magic armor, and vice versa, so sometimes you have a harder time going all one type of damage. But that could be overstated for all I know.

For my part, I'm trying to invest in ways for physical characters to help strip the magic armor--elemental arrows for an archer, a Polymorph skill, that kind of thing. Who knows if that'll actually help out a split-damage party, though.

I'm not sure what it's actual range is (melee? thrown object like the icon implies?) but the Scoundrel tree has Chloroform, which is "Deal damage to magic armor. Maybe put them to sleep".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

What are the skills that are actually worth investing in beyond spell/skill requirements? Obviously Summoning is vitally important for how your summons scale. Hydrosophy boosts healing, so that's good. Warfare gives you bonus damage to physical armor (at least according to the probably-out-of-date wiki). Maybe Necromancer for the life leech passive?

Warfare is now a boring "+5% Physical attacks only" passive :v: Ironically I expect the removal of that trait was to prevent casters from being able to shred physical with geomancy harder or archers being able to hit harder, rather than concern "Guy with sword skills is too good at swords!"

Stats for items may be a bigger deal if levels higher than 20 are a norm rather than a grindfest exception. But yeah it's stuff like 14 tops at level 20 for example. Even if it's 17 at 30 and up to 21 at 50. I guess the assumption being MMO style performance enhancers being worn to be allowed to wield stuff above the natural stat cap if you even make it to such levels in the first place.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I wish I wasn't a big huge idiot with close zone spells and wanting to use them despite the common end results.

"I'll use ignition! Oh now I'm on fire too. How about contamination? Well now I'm poisoned too."

Sometimes you just want to be able to run up to a guy and explode without also having to learn and slot powers to cure yourself from your own powers, you know?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digital_Jesus posted:

In fact Im actually really grumpy now about the AP limit because its even more of a pain in the rear end for large fights.

The gently caress man just let me cast all the spells.

My salt with AP limits in any game is less YOUR limits, and more the enemy gleefully getting extra or otherwise circumventing such limitations for their actions :v:

See also, the Shadowrun returns games, which openly displays the fact they have more AP than you do, unless you slam down hard drugs or spam haste. Then once your party's default AP rises, they get even more and now your single shot stungun can't stun things anymore without performance enhancers letting you fire it twice per turn :sigh:

Wolpertinger posted:

Warfare has some interesting synergies for Death Knight types - necromancy is purely physical, and raising necromancy doesn't actually seem to improve it's damage as far as i can tell, only INT does. However, raising warfare improves all physical damage.. including necromancy. So, by ignoring int and pumping str and warfare, your necromancy abilities will scale very well anyway - then, with enough points in necromancy, you will get like 50%+ lifesteal which works on /all/ damage you do, not just from necro spells and you hit like a truck anyway, and then necromancy has buffs that give you 50% MORE lifesteal, on top of flat out drain life spells, and then you can cast spells like 'blood rain' which fills the entire room with blood and makes all your enemies bleed, and from there you can use the necro spell to suck up all the blood to heal yourself or any ally, or have a geomancer turn the whole goddamn room to poison with blood->poison conversion spell.

So pretty much death knight is perfect for undead and makes their healing problems irrelevant.
Yeah it really keeps slipping my mind that most of Necro attacks are vs Physical. So even if you skip out on full 120% edgelord undead double death knight, it sounds like a good time once things get rolling with a nice passive on top.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PirateBob posted:

Why does the character creator only show the level 1 benefit from a skill, even if you've put 2 points in? Or does a skill like Retribution not upgrade further before level 3 or something

The chargen screen info is just all kinds of hosed in general and not to be trusted half the time, essentially :sigh:

For example, a bit before launch inquisitor preset had a staff in the preview, which was why it's warfare skills listed INT bonus. Now they start with a huge hammer... and still list INT bonus to warefare. So on and so forth. Chargen screen acts like it's not true tooltips so much as a bunch of pre-written examples.

Once you are actually in game, things will display right. But, well, that still leaves you having to either hope for the best or google up how skill results actually work.

queeb posted:

is it possible to combine huntsman/summoner? since you dont need to buff int you can pump finesse and whatnot. thinking of a death knight dude, huntsman/summoner and then 2 mages

So long as you remember to raise the actual summoning stat, it should probably work okay. I honestly forget if INT does or does not buff anything for your summons, but them playing decoy with their own attacks should still work just fine while you fire arrows around.

It might even combo better than usual, if you use elemental arrows setting up zones for the incarnate to spawn off of.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 16, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I'm playing a multiplayer game with a friend and we're lone-wolfing and ignoring companions. I started as an undead cleric for "reasons" and it's been going to poo poo. I've been gravitating away from hydro and prioritizing warfare even more than necro, but I'm pretty eager to respec as we finish Act 1.

With my friend being a ridiculously powerful ranger and me being undead, does anyone have recommendations for what I can go with that'd give good synergy and performance?

I'm not opposed to leaning harder on war/necro, if anyone has skill advice there. I've been sword-and-boarding it but haven't found anyone selling Taunt yet so basically I'm an rear end in a top hat liability in combat scenarios and just want to do better.

As for that last bit, from what I've read the Taunt skill like everything else, won't work unless the enemy has all their physical armor destroyed first. I hope this is not the case, but I have the feeling it honestly works that way.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mercrom posted:

Are sneaky stabby characters crap as they usually are in these kinds of games?

Combat wise they seem to fall into that other niche of "They can still kick all kinds of rear end, but it still takes more effort overall and working around limitations both obvious and obtuse" compared to people running undead knights standing in pools of blood and/or poison hitting things from the front.

Obvious. A bunch of skills that require daggers only if you want their tree attacks over preferring necromancy with a side of knives.
Less obvious. Promising sounding +40% damage from sneaking talent, apparently only applying to 4 AP sneak mode and not "I am literally invisible right now"
More fun than it should be (and probably not as effective as I tell myself). Throwing chloroform in some guy's face.

But it's still a fun feeling seeing when it works out well. Even if I am much more on the side of having no goddamned idea what I'm doing.

EDIT: I'm probably the only one who wishes the Chloroform skill made targets more vulnerable to fire.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

Over the past few weeks I've been wondering if any games have had a geomancy tree lately. I read tonight about this games geomancy tree! What timing! Is it a fun tree??

It seems cool, though the majority of people gushing about Goemancy is for using it to take advantage of "Undead heal from poison", and other side benefits of Geo applied to other builds.

While people trying to do the suggested by presets wizarding combo of Geo+Pyro (As Geo does have some oil spill causing rock throws, for example) have been posting about finding themselves lagging behind the rest of their party.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 18, 2017