Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Everybody's now aware of creepy Mass Effect fanart, don't post more, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

http://i.imgur.com/hyMtgyQ.gifv

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Luceid posted:

One of the cooler things people did for DA:I was make incredible portraits of all kinds using the sliders and then post up the settings on reddit or elsewhere for others to crib from and I hope we see that happen again for this game because holy poo poo Scott 'Pube' Ryder is too much for me
For Mass Effect 3 I downloaded somebody's Schwarzenegger look-alike and with each renegade choice he kept getting closer to the roughed-up Terminator look complete with red glowing eyes and that was one of the best things about the game for me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CJ posted:

What emotion is this.

He's eyeing crew member asses.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Zzulu posted:

most of the people in this thread who actually played the game instead of just staring at the selected awkward moments compilations think it's been fine so far. The most scathing review I saw in this thread said it was "dull". On this page alone you can see several examples of people enjoying it

It's entirely possible people are a bit hyperbolic itt
But what does fine mean? Dragon Age 2 fine? That game didn't fall apart either but playing it was just a giant waste of time. I don't think ME:A will set the new bar for bad games like some people suggest or something but the positive reviews of the game so far sound like it's some mediocre generic title only held above water thanks to brand name. There are different standards set for different series and 'it's not that bad' isn't enough for a high profile release like this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Milky Moor posted:

The system was a poorly defined mess but it also gave the player distinct choices: hold to your morals/shoot that fucker in the face. Be diplomatic/shout someone down. Good cop/bad cop. Work with aliens/humanity first.

The mess came from slapping multiple qualities to each side so Renegade could be pure amoral pragmatism or it could be racism that'd make the Illusive Man pause. Paragon could be a pacifist good boy, or a idealistic avenger. By ME3 it felt like they had the system down as a solid thing.

Andromeda seems to have taken to the FO4 school of giving you "Sure!", "Yes", and "Ugh, okay..."

That is to say, false choices.
Things like these are what cause actual doubts about the game. Lousy animation is funny and all but it's nothing too dramatic if the experience is otherwise full-fledged.

However, when people start talking about those false choices, uneven writing in dialogues that feel chopped up and tossed back again and that there's nothing much gripping about the overall story etc, then those are some real concerns worth talking about instead of going back and forth about how Shep's face ruins everything or how Shep's face not actually ruining everything means all criticizm is invalid.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Paragon/Renegade isn't the only possible choice concept. Just let me make some choices with tangible outcomes, that's it. Even if it only happens in the side-stories.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't really care what score this game gets but some of the things actually written in those reviews are not looking great. If somebedy uses a sentence like this defend the game then welp: "completing a boring mission might bring you closer to a character you’re really attached to".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Double post.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

I wish "sunk cost galaxy" wasn't already taken for Star Citizen because this is definitely the embodiment of it.
Nah, that's unfair, ME:A actually released.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CNET:

"The opening few minutes appeared to be laying the groundwork for a somewhat compelling story that felt a bit like Interstellar, but it wasn't long before I began to forget my character's motivation and why I should care about anything at all for that matter.

Andromeda seems hollow, its characters like a bunch of stand-ins trying to recreate a Mass Effect game. The cinematic weight that prior entries in the series conveyed is nowhere to be found."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

November 2015
Seriously? Don't do this, quoting your own past posts is embarassing, it's what actually makes a thread poo poo. Talk about the game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

What I take away from the reviews is that writing and dialogues aren't good and that the game fails to make you care about the story which is something that was important to me personally in the previous entries. I know that some reviewers liked the story but considering that it was panned by big review websites that don't have a really high bar set for such things then I'm inclined to believe them.

There are people who played Mass Effect for other reasons than me so they'll probably be ok with just the gameplay but to me gameplay in Bioware RPGs was always secondary to the narrative even in their best titles.

I really enjoyed ME3's multiplayer so I could see myself getting this game at some point for that but the reports of latency problems are really off-putting and unless I hear it was fixed with patching then I'm not taking the risk.

The last argument for me to actually buy this would be The Room experience where the product is extremely entertaining against the creators' intent. I'd just mentally switch to seeing this title as another Risen 3/Law&Order and have fun playing through a cringeworthy janky thing with embarassing dialogues but I can wait for a steep discount to experience that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I love seeing this haircut in the screenshots because it gives me legit hope that I'd be able to make Shepard look like Kramer which would be incredible.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i have heard amazing stuff about it. ill probaly pick it up in a week or so. how is the combat. i heard mixed stuff about it.
Combat is excellent. HZD is seriously one of the best open-world games ever made.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If you read the meat of most reviews they're deeply critical and note that the game is full of bugs, questionable design choices, bad dialogue and janky animation. They're far from positive reviews. It's mostly combat and the world visuals that are bumping the score up.
Yeah, that's what I'm reading from them as well. I don't care about the scores but rather what the reviews actually say and it seems that the things that don't work in the game are the same things I considered important in ME 1-3.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

precision posted:

Imagine 4 Breath of the Wilds in one game :eyepop:
Wow so this game is 4 times better than Zelda?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Zzulu posted:

hey it'd be real neato if you dont post spoilers itt
Yeah, just to note this: if somebody thinks it would be funny to post spoilers wihout spoiler tags in this thread out of spite then I'll probate this person. Pleaser report the offenders as the thread moves too fast to follow it closely.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

:rolleyes: Gravity is obviously way weaker in space.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Plavski posted:

When the Expanse did it, everyone lost their poo poo at the accuracy. This is EXACTLY the sa.... lol
The facial animations are actually how faces looks in space.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Falken posted:

I did not know that it would make Daddy Ryder custom matched too... he looked like some form of terrifying brown pepe. Big bulging eyes and his brow stuck right out. I couldn't take any loving scene seriously with him in it. I'm done.
Wait, the game generates how the father looks based on how your Ryder looks? That's amazing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DoctorGonzo posted:

You know hoy CDPR handled the difficult as gently caress animations?

They didnt show them
They did show off the best ones though.

Geralt was Roach's personal trainer for years.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Norns posted:

Roach just getting swoll. So what
God knows she needs all the strength in the world to pull off some of this poo poo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There was also Colonial Marines coincidentally developed by the same studio that made Battleborn.

It still sold better than Alien: Isolation which is a bummer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Decius posted:

It's also the only one that provides you with the Space Opera setting. Even if it is bad - what else would you play if you want alien worlds in space other than Stellaris and similar strategy games?
Have you played Consortium? It's pretty good for what it is.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bohemian Nights posted:

... colonial marines outsold isolation? that is legitimately depressing
Yeah, everybody bought Colonial Marines because of the Alien hype. Then Alien: Isolation sold below expectations because of how bad Colonial Marines turned out to be. The market really only remembers the last big thing associated with a franchise.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh yeah, there was also Duke Nukem Forever :dukedoge:.

The meltdown after release was so bad that Duke threads were forbidden in games.

It was also released by Gearbox, goddamnit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

I'll just never get over that Mass Effect was coming off one of the most controversial game endings of all time, you have the opportunity to give yourself a fresh start and inject some new blood into the series, and then conclude that the best man for the job is the dude who wrote Halo 4. Were there really no other narrative directors out there who wouldn't kill for a chance to write a new Mass Effect? After the first couple drafts that just read like a Halo plot with some nouns rearranged, did nobody chime in and say anything?
The only thing that really matters to the studio is how much it will sell. Halo 4 sold incredibly well, therefore they probably actually begged the director to do Mass Effect.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The best sex scene is in TW3's expansion where if you decide to get drunk the person Geralt sleeps with will throw up all over him during the culmination of an otherwise typical video game sex scene completely ruining it and I couldn't believe they actually put something like this in a game, it's great.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It looks like the game released, see you in Meridian hunters.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Zotix posted:

So if this game is actually poo poo, what is the next big release to get hyped about?
Prey
Divinity: Original Sin II
Red Dead Redemption 2 if it releases this year

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ash1138 posted:

i chose team triss just for continuity from w2

if you want to see a masterclass in animation and voice acting, turn down yen after the djinn's spell is broken. girl was so crushed that i felt bad

i legit felt bad for rejecting a video game character ffs
Also the bad ending is probably one of the best directed sequences I've ever seen in a video game. From the technical standpoint it's incredibly well acted, written and shot but from the emotional standpoint It's heart-breaking and really ballsy of CDPR to have the protagonist of their AAA+ game commit suicide and have it properly built up. You just don't get stuff like this in other games with these production values.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Much like the series itself, the thread titles get worse with every iteration.

:colbert:
I'm taking suggestions now, please go ahead.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cowcaster posted:

new thread title is good
:hai:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

precision posted:

I know I'm biased but I really think the Zelda thread title needed more time to shine :colbert:
I admit, it was a pretty great title.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I watched some of those romance videos and there's some dissonance about how Bioware depicts relationships. Like, on one had you have gay and trans characters which is cool but on the other hand those romantic situations are pretty creepy in their overuse of "Confused/stressed/vulnerable crew member? Don't worry, I'm your boss and I'm here to help you out with the power of sex". Like, come on.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Grey Fox posted:

Can't wait for the monstrosities this game will produce

I'll repeat this once again - this is the perfect game for creating a playable Kramer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Initiating any kind of romance in a Mass Effect game should give you renegade points.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I thought that up until the ending ME3 was a good Mass Effect game. There were a lot of choices and paths you could take and the amount of different permutations depending on what crew members you had were insane.

You could take both Javik and Liara as your team nad Javik would loving crush Liara's fangirl ideas about Protheans over and over, it was brutal and beautiful. Javik was also the one companion that flat out called out EDI's transformation into a sexbot for what it was which at least shows that some of the ME3's writers were aware of the issue. The guy basically made the game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Because this thread is popular right now please vote on TOP FORUMS DOG. Our subforum's dog is the 4th one: Rusty. He's a good gaming dog.