Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

XK posted:

Agile in an environment without a defined framework only results in a nightmare mess of code.

You just get hack on top of hack.

I don't see anything here which doesn't indicate CIG are fully Agile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mangoose posted:

TL;DR A shitload of rambling. Start with C, use the endless resources available online and otherwise. Code code code code. Then code some more.

Counter-point: Don't start with C, it's a lot harder than things like Python and doesnt teach you anything massively useful if you're going to be using a high level programming language.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

XK posted:

:lol: no

Unless you're coding for a bot that makes microsecond trades on a direct line to a stock exchange, nobody is going to care.

I worked on a trading system once as a contractor and it was one of the worst piles of poo poo I've ever seen. It was an RCP application and it wrote all the trades out to a text file on the server because the database cluster used to crash on a weekly basis. If losses due to delayed trades where under 50 million a week no one cared.

Also codeposts are better than Moma or Dereks insane ramblings.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

This is the best summary of my own cognitive dissonance that I've read.

Star Citizen is an infinite grief engine. Every single mechanic and idea they have is easily exploited and griefable. It's probably why they haven't actually implemented and mechanics yet.

It's Pathfinder horses all over again.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

So I was really racking my brain to think of what SC is going to sell

Next up is going to be some UEE police beacon, a purchased-able consumable commodity which makes the police protect your ship at all times. That and some Wingman purchase like Hull + 50% to have an NPC buddy fly as your wing man 24/7.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think my favourite thing about the land sale is the surveying that they talked about in the Q&A. You need to survey the underlying geology of the the plot you're going to buy. Which means there is underlying geology, earthquakes, aquifers etc.

Plate Tectonics Feature - Confirmed!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bayonnefrog posted:

My question to the cultists and something that never gets discussed is why is everyone running around in a spacesuit INSIDE?

And also why are you wearing a spacesuit when you wake up from the wankpod? Makes no sense.

The elevators don't have atmosphere in them and checking your mbiglass can eject you from the space station. I'd wear my spacesuit to bed as well in those circumstances.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Why are so many people on r/starcitizen convinced that Amazon are going to swoop in an stomp this lawsuit? If I download Lumberyard then steal my neighbours car will Amazon do me a solid and pay my legal fees if I get caught?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

It's going to consist of twelve pages explaining the timeline of SC's collapse and how he knew it would happen followed by roughly 1800 pages shifting randomly between yelling about people on reddit, photographs of his twitter feed and feverish fanfiction describing what the game would look like if he had made it.

It'll ship with a 10% off code for Line of Defense.

Derek won't be able to publish his magnum opus until G0RF writes his.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

XK posted:

You could rent out rooms in that thing. WTF?

Not that you'd want to as they've put a massive shelltrap on the front of it. Any shell hitting the sloped armour will instantly ricochet into the underside of the turret. This is a lovely tank.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Galarox posted:

Seriously Goons - if you haven't watched this please watch it. I posted the link earler ITT but it is a must watch. It's all about how the media creates a boogeyman and when this was originaly broadcast the media in the UK got that, and got that it was a serious attack on them and their methods (while largely the public did not), so they attacked it in the most savage manner possible demanding Chris Morris's (the guy behind it) head. It remains for me, one of the great indictments of the media treatment of any subject in this or any age. PS: All the vox pops in it are (then) UK celebs who were handed a sheet of paper and asked to read, to camera, what was on said sheet of paper. None of them even questioned what they were reading. Which was just a small part of Morris's genius and point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcU7FaEEzNU

In the Drugs Episode they got various people to talk about Cake 'A Made up drug with real world consequences' was the tag line for it, something like that. One of them was David Amess MP who went on to ask a question about it in Parliament and the Home Office even came up with the chemical name for Cake (3,4-methylenedioxy-N-benzylamphetamine). He was later put in charge of chairing the committee looking at the governments drug policy. Cake works on the Shatner's Bassoon in your brain, making it's especially dangerous.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

imagine being so mad you write this many words about a video game

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&userid=210149

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Star Citizen is such that I had to take a moment to try and parse whether that guy was trying to imply Derek Smart is a Secret Jew or whether he was just so angry he couldn't breathe and passed out on his parentheses buttons for a second.

I'm mad he mismatched his parentheses, that's how you get syntax errors.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Virtual Captain posted:

I think the tracker and perhaps even my posting have subconsciously been led by some desire to highlight how bad the foundation and current state of the game is. Thinking that at some point backers would start demanding real progress. Yesterday I saw a thread titled "Frame rate a “major” focus for 3.1! Check latest ATV." and that's when it hit me. The thing could crash instantly for the entire playerbase and they'd be absolutely fine as long as their belief session shows still air. Some people ITT tried to play last week and of the three people that got past the loadscreen, I think one managed to get in their ship, so by my count this has basically already happened. Many backers fully admit they do not install new patches, as they prefer dream crafting with their favorite streamer over playing what actual gets delivered. I finally got it, these people are absolutely in a belief cult.

People go to Church every week, God never shows up and fixes their problems. Scientologists never gain control of their Thetans. Prophets come and prophets go but the Messiah never shows up. If there's one thing we've shown as a species it's that we will believe in anything and continue to do so as long their is some hope that it might happen in the future. ATV is their weekly devotional practice, logging into the PTU is their praying.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tortolia posted:

But according to YouTube lawyer Leonard J. Crabs French, CIG's response was a slam dunk and Crytek has nothing!

I'm not sure why people listen so closely to Leonard J Cr..French. He worked for 9 years as a Software Developer, picked up a Law Degree from a second tier University, did an internship at a Civil Law Clinic before striking out on his own. Which has proven so successful he panhandles for dollars giving out legal opinions on Youtube. I mean he's surely got the legal chops to dismantle the arguments of:

James Pak - Columbia Law, fresh from suing Oculus Rift for $500 million.

Kevin Minnick - UCLA, successfully pursued actions against Wells Fargo and Toyota.

that's not counting the Partners

Anthony Sammi - With his paltry Cornell Law degree and industry awards of being one of the best litigators in the US last year.

Kurt Hemr - Harvard Law, Has successfully litigated against many companies in between doing pro-bono work for refugees.

It's the clearest example of confirmation Bias I think you can see. French agrees with the Acolytes of Roberts, therefore he is right.

I mean being Pro-CIG has almost certainly netted French thousands of dollars so I can respect the position he's taken.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bofast posted:

This is brilliant!

I'm not sure that it's incredible own of Goons that they think it is.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

They're 100% going to sell the F8 Lightning, or at least some kind of access to it. "What proof have you?" I can hear you screaming at the top of your lungs. Well, it's elementary, my dear goon:

Any time CIG implies they're not going to sell something, they almost immediately end up selling it.

I think they'll end up selling the F9 Lightning or F8 Lightning Black or something like that. IT'll be almost the same but slightly better, conceptually at least, than the F8 in every way.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm in the UK, what time should we expect to start rubbing?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pixelate posted:

but I'm definitely rubbing

That's all you need to be doing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Have the writers of Star Trek : Discovery been reading Star Citizen lore, the latest episodes have been very Stimperial.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wait....as a One time courtesy they'll unfuck your account by wiping you and making you start again. The implication there is you will have to pay to have them fix your broken accounts in the future.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think I've missed something because I didn't read the last 1000 posts that happened over the weekend. Is CIG seriously making the theft system, that if you steal a ship as soon as it despawns because you log off it returns to it's owner like a lost puppy? That seems to be what people are suggesting happens but I can't find the source for it. Can the owner still spawn another one in the interim?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

But...but my fidelity?

I think what I'm more curious about, with Death of a Spaceman etc is that if you log out in a spaceship and then it gets stolen and broken down into scrap. Does that kill you? Or do you wake up in your wank pod like nothing ever happened.

I'm beginning to think CIG have not thought this through.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bob Socko posted:

I don’t understand why they didn’t copy Eve’s mechanics for ship theft and replacement. You’d have to tweak it to reflect Star Citizen and it’s lack of manufacturing, sure, but it seems like a reasonable starting place. Grandfathered early backers have lifetime insurance on certain hulls, everyone else has to pay each time, everyone has a delay for ship replacement to impede abuse. Less-secure space has a longer delay to deter abuse by pirates, lore it up by saying its more dangerous and therefore less trade there. Hell, copy Eve’s system security and space cops too, add real teeth to theft in high-security space. The mechanics don’t seem insurmountable and makes me wonder if the real reason for the theft change is that they can’t get it to work.

This. I mean I remember in EvE capturing ships and making them eject to save their implants and stealing their ships. They lost everything on that deal including the insurance.

My bet is they cannot ships despawning when the player logs out. If that was the case then this system would be the default behaviour of the system. You can spawn the ship, you can't spawn it again, you get the ship stolen, the player logs out and despawns the ship. You can then spawn it again at the terminal. I would say there's a 50/50 change that when the original owner of the ship logs out it will despawn their ship no matter whoes flying it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AngusPodgorny posted:

It seems like an example of the revenue model driving the gameplay. The can't do something easy like in Eve where if I steal someone's ship, then I have a ship and they don't, because that person paid $1000 for the ship and I paid nothing. So they need to make a new ship magically appear for the person that gave them money, and magically take away the ship from the person that didn't pay money (because people that don't pay money don't deserve ships).

So instead of just having to track that ship123 is at (x,y,z), they need to implement systems for multiple copies of a ship existing simultaneously, and making sure they appear and disappear properly.

This is the weirdest thing. Eve has perfected the Space MMO economy game, they've spent a decade refining it and it works. People mine, people build ships, people fly ships, pirates destroy ships to salvage them, cycle continues.

You can be as involved in this process as much as you want, managing planets worth of manufacturing output to buying off the shelf and not caring.

All they had to do was rip off this model and make it first person and they were done. For once in their life CIG failed to Archer something correctly.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hav posted:

Well, it kind of does, but it's a lot more complex with larger holes in it than most people realise, and they've hosed with the fundamentals a few times. Blowing up the empire routes that led to the move to Jita from Lumiere changed the dynamic for named modules. Mining barges changed the industrial dynamic, moon mining again changed it, planetary products changed the dynamic again;

The one thing that CCP has been unafraid to do is piss off it's player base. I mean loving enrage it, if you remember Hilmar's comparison of a $70 ingame monocle with designer Jeans. It succeeds despite being punishing to the unwary, and is one of the harshest economic systems that ever existed.

CCPs other dirty little secret is that they put a $ cost on their ingame currency and allowed transfers. Whales are buying themselves alliances and corporations all the time, and get ripped off by other players, forgetting that you can't buy loyalty and weird checks and balances exist for reasons.

CCP change the the dynamics of the economy but not the fundamentals. The whole Jita thing is a detail of how the players have reacted to the mechanics of the economy. The mechanics are fundamentally fine, where they break it is in things like balance issues, making certain ships better than other causing a peak demand in a specific factions materials.

The brutal and unforgiving economy of Eve makes economic warfare possible, and fights over territory have real effects. Star Citizen can only dream of that level of fidelity.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Quavers posted:

So CIG will now have to bulk-cleanup their near-two-million subscriber database? :lol:

They'll just slap a big, 'required for business function' sticker on it and call it a day. That's what everyone else is doing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm really baffled by this. Like how does he think this will work at all. Even if you know nothing about computers should be able to realise all he's made there is a slightly larger instance by throwing more CPU's at it. They could do something similar to this by replicating data across adjacent nodes and adjacent only but that's hard and CIG are not smart men.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 20, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I’m the persistent “persistent” online “online” game “game” that can’t save information for more than one character.

I think it's more like Multiple character slots is a way for people to dodge buying multiple accounts so they won't do it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Exactly. Which is why my eyes rolled into the next time zone when I first heard Chris explain how he was "planning for" emergent gameplay "possibilities."

There's nothing that fucker doesn't get wrong.

I would disagree to a degree when you say you can't plan for emergent game play. If you look at things like Space Station 13 or Dwarf Fortress they are essentially designed with emergent game play in mind. They don't know what those interactions will be, they just know that by modelling puddles and cats in enough detail something will happen. Like cats dying of alcohol poisoning from licking alcohol off their feet after walking though puddles of it in a bar.

Now what Chris thinks he is doing it making something as intricately detailed as Dwarf Fortress but in Space. Like I using my mining ship to drag asteroids out of orbit to bombard a planetary base. You wouldn't need to plan for that specific thing to happen, just to make planets have realistic orbital and gravitational mechanics, have ships that can pull asteroids around and then suddenly with enough maths you can bomb cites from space. It cannot be said strongly enough that this is NOT what he has created.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bayonnefrog posted:

non technical person here. Could someone explain what bind culling is for the lames like myself? Thanks.

Culling in Cry Engine is the process of working out which objects to render. So if you're just staring at a wall then you only need to render that wall and nothing else. There's no point rendering objects which are behind you. What they're trying to do is expanding this to not even caring that the object exists as well as not rendering it. So you care about the person running about on the ship beside you, you don't care about the person running about on the planet below you. So what they want is for your client to not even know about the person on the planet, you can't interact with him so he might as well not exist.

The Miles Eckhart thing is just one problem, you can't put a marker on Miles if he simply doesn't exist to your client.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

iospace posted:

Which makes me wonder, what happens if your ship blows up, you don't have the ingame money to rebuy it. What is going to be SC's default "well, we'll throw you a bone" mechanic to help people back on their feet?

Work as someone's wine waiter on their spergmobile for a years ingame time and you'll be able to rent a starter ship again I would predict. OR pay money to get a new ship, but it's not pay to win you see, it's pay to play at all.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Good morning. Friendly reminder that other games have taken many years and much money to be released, and are wildly popular today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/8a8z8v/til_grand_theft_auto_v_cost_265_million_to_make/

GTA was completed by 1 studio, what are the other studios the RSI have for exactly? Also using Stein...Roberts Maths that's like $700m dollars.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

G0RF posted:

Strategic combat was out the door the moment they stole her Drake. This was personal. She was going to teach those two miscreants they messed with the wrong Batgirl and if she had to ram one of her ships into yet another of her ships to teach them that lesson, so be it.

The fact that the stolen ship was loaded with Cargo she’d spent 3000 credits on was no deterrent. Nor was the fact that she blew up both her ships in the process and therefore lost even more than had she shrugged off the Piracy altogether. She chose the bloodsport route (a.k.a. bumper car bonking) and made sure her lesson was not lost on them.

“No matter what you do, I will self-own, even if it kills me. Especially if it kills me.”

Woah woah woah less of the FUD. She didn't blow up both ships, they flew away unscathed with the cargo and the Cutlass.

Everyone knows the ultimate weapon is clipping through your opponent, they obviously weren't hitting each other and you know physics didn't happen. They just clipped through and span on the spot a little bit.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This has been going around for a bit now, why exactly are backers convinced DS is going to be penniless and homeless? It just seems to spring fully formed into existence as a fact in the minds of some backers.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Today's lesson in Star Citizen Stupidity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmykrAkQb68&t=209s

What?

WHAT?!

Sounds like faking things to me and if there's one thing CIG will NOT do it fake things. Except a game that is.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Maybe, but I think his real motivation was to undermine Star Citizen in Chris' face to prove to him the Wing Commander franchise was still really popular and he should definitely get the rights to it and convert everything to be a new Wing Commander.

I bet 90% of the meetings involved him talking about how "everything would be better if it were Wing Commander" and how much more popular it would be. CR probably got tired of hearing this dumb poo poo. Not even he cares about the old, dead franchise. Except of course when he did because he needed their money.

If they shipped Ben off to live on a farm (Maryland?) does that mean his wife is still working for CIG in LA or is she also gone?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Chalks posted:

Holy poo poo I'm stealing that for the auto-reply for our bug reporting portal at work

It's perfect because you just get to mark it as invalid making it not eligible to be selected as an existing bug. So when someone tries to log the same bug again you just mark that one invalid as well. One weird trick to ITIL Practitioners hate!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sabreseven posted:

The Doodlebug made me giggle, not even sure why, funny farty exploding things. :)

All the fideliteous chaos happening, and then it splutters overhead, like SC getting a patch update, it just farts itself along for a bit before blapping into the ground pathetically.

(The explosion was quite nice though)

The legit method they used for destroying doodlebugs in the air was to fly up to them get the wing of your aircraft 6" below the wing of the doodlebug which made the wing rise up and send it into an uncontrollable dive. If they have that in the game then it will have fidelity.

Oh yeah and you have to do it at 340mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fangrim posted:

Indeed. I was just thinking about how the SJW League would react if a guy wrote what Titanic wrote :)

Not that the SJW League is haunting SA, but everyone takes offense these days, except if it's somehow OK for one person ti say something, but not others.

Pisses me off.

Tell us more about how it's really unfair you don't get to say the N-word whenever you want.