Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

You guys you guys RELAY.SC is live!

It also appears to be boring and insufferable. Truly, they are the successors of INN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm not sure how one would begin to craft the book. Hell you'd have to start with the Wing Commander days, followed up with race horses and a used car dealership and then the kickstarter fest. That is a fiasco just getting to that point.

Ever read the L. Ron Hubbard biography "Bare-Faced Messiah"?

The dude was a hack pulp scifi writer, who repeatedly conned his way into things (literary salons, the Explorers Club, government contracts) through force of personality and talking a good game. Then he would more-or-less completely fail to deliver on his promises, flail about while milking the situation for what it was forth, and finally have to move on to pitch new promises to a new group. Until one day he had his only true genius idea: founding a pay-for-play religion based on selling acceptance to emotionally vulnerable people.

I can't really put my finger on why, but I think its basic structure might be a good place to Archerstart.

Edit: cat overrun by body thetans

mdxi fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 4, 2016

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

So there I was, haulin' 27 deciLesnicks of X'ian Pearl Cream from the Eastern Systems over to GrimHEX.

My port-side quantum tubes were acting up -- probably because I'd been too cash-strapped to have them deschmegged for the past 3 maintenance cycles -- but I had to push my trusty MISC Endeavor as hard as she could go. Pirates are peevish and mercurial at the best of times, and this was defniitely not the best of times. The humidifiers had been out of commission on GrimHEX for over a week, and an ashy pirate was not a happy pirate.

"Cortana!" I called to no one in particular (for indeed I was the only person aboard -- a sometimes unavoidable side effect of being a rugged iconoclast with uncorruptible space-morals), knowing that my ship's female AI would respond.

"Yes, M'lord?" her dulcet, voice answered, with just the slightest hint of longing and submission, from the PA speaker overhead.

"I'm sorry, girl, but I need you to push the QD as hard as you can. Even if it means exceeding the B'tak thresholds by as much as 5%. And remind me to lay in new supplies of fresh wipes when we hit Stanton."

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

ripptide posted:

Ima bet "Baskin Roberts"

FTFY

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Posting on the 5th (6th?) page 128, because powers of 2 scale better for special-ness than multiples of 100.

GLORY TO THE STIMPIRE! TORMENT ETERNIZATION FOR ALL GOONIES!

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I'm late to the holiday baking party, but I wanted to say thanks for the introduction to Portugese (Brazilian?) sweets. I fell way down a youtube hole on that one, and now think I may have a mild addiction to watching cooking shows in languages I don't speak or read.

Here's the holiday baking from my house: .

I'd never had homemade cinnamon rolls before, but my wife has been on a baking kick lately. They were amazing.

The recipe made way too many for just the two of us though, so we took all the extras to the closest fire station. They were warmly received, to put it mildly.

Star citizen sucks.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

The Titanic posted:

It's ok. You can steam my generators any time. :wink:

The steam in your engines isn't the only thing triply expanding around here.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I found this sign on a construction wall at Epcot.

I'm not sure why I feel compelled to post it here.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Oh you mean you had a G3/G4 Mac? Those weren't all bad, Performa Macs were the literal poo poo

I can't even remember the model numbers now, but there was a Performa which could be upgraded to a Power Mac 6?00 via a mobo swap. I read about this on Wikipedia, grabbed said Performa and board off Ebay for basically nothing, and then installed NetBSD on it. I think I set it up as a listserv, via an AAUI-to-RJ45 adapter.

True story, hell yeah.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

aleksendr posted:

Like the "Vegetable garden"mod. It add a bunch of crops and fruit trees to grow to add to the usual corn, rice and potatos of the vanilla game. Nothing dagerous for game balance there ? No ? Wrong. It also add a canning station, allowing you to turn vegetable, fruits and meat into "canned meat" or "canned vegetables" that never expire, potentially turning all food related events (blight, Zzzt, Eclipses, Solar flares, ect) that can be colony killer if you planned poorly into trivial challenges.

We make fun of SC all the time for being a hojillion years in the future but not having bloody obvious things because "realism". This kinda strikes me as one of those instances. I have a USDA canning manual from the early 1930s on my cookbook shelf, and it wasn't high technology then. Boiling water, glass jars, (synthetic) rubber seals, rules of thumb for acidity/salinity, sugar, salt, vinegar. With these things you, too, can magically turn fresh vegetables into food for next year!

Interstellar-travel-but-no-basic-food-preservation in the name of game balance is pretty dumb/lazy.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

I was a big fan of Star Control, so, I immediately scoured that site for any sort of hard info. There's plenty of stuff where they're saying it's a full reboot without admitting as such. It feels like one of those cynical 'using the name for a different idea' franchises. Like, without the Ur-Quan and the Spathi and the Orz and so on, what makes it Star Control?

No Frungy, No Purchase

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Better Online Networking Enablement Refactoring Job-queue Improved Star Network

B.O.N.E.R.J.I.S.N

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

D_Smart posted:

A whale (any gamer paying more than $60 for a game, is considered a whale) just got his refund, and posted a pretty good synopsis behind his reasoning.

Okay, which one of you wrote this?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Shills,

I have faithfully read every incarnation of this thread since the very beginning. I've been almost entirely a lurker, but I've been here the whole time.

I was here for the initial jubilation. I was here for the theorycrafting. I was here for the insane fleet spreadsheet and FLJK, and the first stirrings of GoonFear, and Bomber Bros. And everything after. All of it.

I will admit to skipping SOME pages, but seriously how many tens of thousands of posts about this horrible imaginary game have I read now?

To hell with comparing the development time of Star Citizen to other triple AAA games. Since this scam started, here is what has happened in my own life:

• I was living in a friend's furnished attic, because my long-term girlfriend and I were on the outs
  • We reconciled, and bought a house
  • I started a new job
  • She got a job offer, very far away, and we decided to end things for good
  • I refinanced the house
  • I met a new lady
  • She moved in
  • We got married
  • I sold the house and we moved across the continent

All of these things happened, at a minimum, months apart from each other. There's more than a year between some items on this list.

I've ended one major relationship, started another, changed my legal status, and completed three real estate transactions in the time it has taken this "game" to repeatedly fail to be released and/or be any fun whatsoever.

This stupid, stupid, stupid, dumb, no good, very bad scam has gone on too long. I never had any money in it, so I can't betray Chris Roberts by asking for a refund. I'll have to settle for betraying Sandi by no longer paying any attention to her career-relaunching gambit marketing tour de force shitshow. I'm retiring from the thread.

It's been a blast. I'll miss you all, but mostly :eonwe: and :kayak:

Also, y'all were way too hard on Fuzzknot. Fuckin' creepy goons.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Hav posted:

Datacenters are a big deal. Modern ones are elevated floor, multiple redundancy systems that suck up power, and frequently have their own high-voltage plant, double backup generators. Fiber and copper terminal points, and they usually have twinned AC units, not to mention a halon dump system.

Amazon/Google/Facebook scale datacenters are way, way, way, way bigger than what you're describing. There are more like "dozens" of everything instead of "double". Commercial colocation facilities aren't that much smaller these days (excluding the ones in urban cores, in highrises).

Also, it's been a long time since I've seen a halon system, because no one could hold their breath long enough to get out of a modern datacenter. Halon was a thing in the IBM Big Iron/dataroom era, where you could hear the alarm, take a deep breath (you've got five seconds to discharge) and run to the door.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Basically anyone who calls themselves a scientist without having a phD is a hack.

Many scientists-with-PhDs would disagree with you here. There is a whole cadre of academics who are trying to shepherd the citizen scientist movement into a means to engage people; to show that science is vital to society; and to show that science is the exact opposite of the elitist, disaffected, ivory tower, old boy's club you just described.

Science is believing that the world is knowable through observation, experiment, and evidence. Science is understanding that valid theories must be falsifiable, and that there is no such thing as absolute truth.

Science is not going to school long enough to be awarded a PhD, though this is how you become qualified for jobs with titles like "astrophysicist".

TrustmeImLegit posted:

My job title is literally Medical Lab Scientist but I wouldn't call myself a scientist. I don't do research I just run blood tests. I don't have a phD.

My job title is literally "Systems Engineer", but I am definitely not an engineer. I'm a systems administrator, and I don't even have a bachelors. Our jobs should likely be more accurately described as either technician or engineering technologist. But neither of us is our khakis, and neither of us is trying to mislead the public, so there's nothing to get bent out of shape about.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

ZekeNY posted:

This helps them identify outsiders of the cult who must be ruthlessly indoctrinated or chased out

The word you're looking for is shibboleth, which is a good one for the Citizens to latch onto next, now that I think about it.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

A good space game came out of early access today. It's called StarCrawlers, and it is basically Shadowrun-in-space-as-a-square-grid-dungeon-crawler.

I'm five hours in and having a lot of fun. It's not exactly Triple AAA Doing Things No One Ever Tried Before, but it (1) exists, (2) is playable on Mac and Linux, and (3) has enjoyable writing. So that's a minimum of three things it's got that SC doesn't after 11 years and $3.9B or whatever.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

MV Golden Ticket to Center, requesting permission to ascend to FL290, over.
MV Golden Ticket this is Center, ah, please maintain FL270 due to traffic in the area, over.

Seriously, why is this alleged spaceship flying at commercial aircraft altitude over northern Arizona?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Star Citizen: I'm dead and gay and out a few k

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

TheAgent posted:

when this whole thing blows up, I'm having a thread meetup in santa monica to drink and watch them move all the furniture out of CIG

I recommend brunching at Blue Daisy beforehand. You'll need some carbs and protein to keep your energy up.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Sweet, I didn't miss out on the Women Who Don't Get Enough Credit In Computing chat! My nominees are:

Henriette Avram, who started her career in pre-med, married in 1941, had children, and then went back to school to become a mathematician and work for the NSA. More-or-less nothing is known of her work at the NSA, even though it was in the early 1950s and it is difficult to conceive of it still being relevant to national security. In any case, her work there isn't what made her a household name -- if you share a household with a librarian, anyway. Avram went on to work for the Library of Congress, where she designed, implemented, ran the nation-wide pilot program for, and pushed through as an international standard, MARC, which is still used in functionally all libraries as the electronic format for bibliographic data. If you really enjoy computing history, I recommend finding a copy of the MARC Pilot Project report and giving it a read.

Barbara Liskov. Dr. Liskov is a Turing award winner, and did much of the research work which supports modern distributed computing systems. As such, she has worked extensively in areas like fault tolerance and consistency, which are some of the deepest and most difficult areas of computing I've ever dipped my toes into. This also means that almost every programmer currently working (her Turing award was for work which led to the development of Object Oriented Programming), and almost everyone using computers which touch the internet (the back-end systems at Google, Amazon, and even more prosaic things like the storage systems at Netflix, couldn't exist without her distributed systems work) stands on her shoulders everyday. Yet she is almost unknown because (A) she's a woman and (B) infrastructure work isn't sexy in computing, which is just as faddish and trend-driven as anything else.

Edit: Radia Perlman, who invented the spanning-tree protocol, which enabled networks to grow to almost arbitrary sizes without packet storms and routing loops. You wouldn't have the internet as you know it without this.

starkebn posted:

what's the big angst about women not getting recognition?

You're asking why systemic, institutionalized sexism is problematic. I am willing to do a Gorf-style writeup to answer you, but it's going to have to wait until later tomorrow. I'm already up too late and I have a lot to do in the morning.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 24, 2017

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

My dev source (different from the agent's btw)

This would seem to imply that you know who is/was feeding TheAgent. Or that you believed a filthy, lying leaker when they said that you were the only one they were leaking to :sad:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I know that 90 other people have answered the "Why is a giant stack of if statements bad?" question, but I wanted to add my own take anyway.

It's not that deeply-nested conditionals are, ipso facto, bad because they are deeply nested. Sometimes the inelegant approach legitimately is the best way to accomplish the task at hand. But usually not.

Usually, deeply-nested conditionals are an indicator that a problem is being handled in a way that is very likely naive, and almost certainly brittle. As in all fields of knowledge, naive approaches are generally not the best or most powerful ones. And in computing, brittle means exactly the same thing that it means elsewhere: not robust; unlikely to be durable; likely to be damaged by small perturbations.

If you have one piece of code which is evaluating that many pieces of data, in relation to each other, you are probably violating separation of concerns. And you are also probably doing a poor job of architecting your data such that there's good information hiding. And you also probably have a poor handle on coupling, and why you don't want your code to be tightly coupled.

Less on the data design side and more on the logic side, anytime I find code evolving into a giant wad of interrelated conditionals (because it usually doesn't start out that way), that's a good indicator that I should consider a more powerful approach, like a finite-state machine. Writing the flock of functions which embodies the FSM takes a lot more time than it does to add "just one more" conditional to an already unwieldy stack, but I know I'll get that time back in ease of extension, power of expression, and actually being able to understand the goddamned code later.

But! I really don't know anything about game development; I'm a distributed systems programmer and administrator.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 4, 2017

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

BobHoward posted:

A lot of that wasn't a consequence of the instruction set. DEC had really good chip fabs and an incredible design team, from architects down to physical design. You can do a lot with guys who are wizards at manual circuit layout.

Everyone should remember that a huge part of what let AMD continually kick Intel in the balls during the Opteron glory days was their acquisition of the memory-controller-on-die and EV6 bus (AKA HyperTransport) patents from Compaq.

Who got them in their acquisition of DEC.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Archering this from elsewhere on the internet.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

TheAgent posted:

I think this is a good list of games you should look at

Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall: Again, good turn based combat. A lot more hand holdey than DOS2, but still fun. The original Shadowun wasn't as great as it's sequel.

The new Shadowrun games all improved on each other in massive ways. I'd recommend playing Dragonfall and Hong Kong, and skipping Returns, unless you're an oldie who is unreasonably fond of the SNES Shadowrun and wants some fanservice. DF and HK are much better written and have better settings and characters.

Also, if you want a game with good writing, check out Fallen London. Failbetter hires some of the best people in interactive fiction to write storylines for it. If you're the sort who likes settings that never stop being in media res and are explained only in passing, it'll get its hooks into you, deep.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I want to take a moment and :justpost: about something that bothered me while catching up on the past 97,000 posts: people kept saying "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

A stopped clock is right twice a day. But a broken clock may be right a far smaller percentage of the time. Consider a clock which loses one second every day, which would be right only once every 236 years!

You people clearly know nothing about aphorism development.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Hav posted:

Also, youse guys really need to look at entropy. Abstraction of time as a construct is fine, but chemical processes tend to run in a single direction, and thus far there's been no obvious reversal of entropy. Or some poo poo.

You down with entropy?

Yeah, you know me.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Lethality is goddamn Typhoid Mario

:yeah:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Has anyone run a Wireshark-equivalent on this thing? It came out of nowhere, with a completely nonsensical connection to SC, so I bet it's made by one of CR's sleazy friends. God knows what kind of data it's shipping to/from your phone.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Toops posted:

Honestly, I'm fuckin' proud of you, Chris. You aimed for the stars, missed horribly, and landed in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Let this be a lesson to you all. Got an idea? Just loving do it. Find a way. Make it work. Always do, even if you're a complete gently caress up. The universe loves action, it needs juice, and as long as you just show up and try, you win. Get off the loving internet. Stop watching the loving TV. Don't play video games, they're all just poo poo designed to keep you off the playing field. And NEVER let that nagging fuckster in the back of your mind tell you you're gonna fail.

Chris Roberts wins at life. He laughs all the way to the mobile banking app on his phone to check his auto-regenerating bank account balance. Scummy? Oh what the gently caress ever. He played by the written rules and that's all that matters. Bad person? I don't know him, but he pays for his wife's movie dreams and gives all his friends jobs, and that's a hell of a lot more than most of us. Immoral? Didn't know you were runing the books on that one. And I'll tell you what. It's immoral to let people as stupid as Star Citizens, with their loving cringecore stunted bullshit fantasies, keep their money. Who the gently caress would wanna make a game for that lot of losers anyway?

gently caress em. gently caress you. And gently caress me.

Chris Roberts is a genius, and he deserves to enjoy his Porches, because god dammit, at least he got up off his rear end and tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzwlhHdhOcc

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Has anyone said Star Citizen: 40 acres and a M.U.L.E. yet?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Man, have you guys seen the, garbage-tier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ActhIPQ_DFQ

unfidelitous, lovely frame-rate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGqkWVRQD1g

console peasant crap coming out these days?

I sure am glad Chris Roberts is here to save PC gaming and herald the glorious, not-at-all amateur-hour, 3-19 FPS with a Titan V, future the Master Race deserves.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Enchanted Hat posted:

There lived a certain man in England long ago
He was stout and bald and his nose was full of blow
Most people looked at him and thought he was a fool
But to space game nerds, he was clever, he was cool
He could code all night with golden fingers
Hallowed be his holy name
And the nerds they thought he'd be the bringer
Of a perfect game

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
Scammer like you've never seen
There was a dev that really was gone
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
Britain's greatest coke machine
He crobbled millions in a great con

He ruled the studios just like a Russian tsar
And he shot mocap, it was really wunderbar
Decisions lay with him, he couldn't trust his staff
And fidelity, it became his golden calf
For the nerds he was no wheeler dealer
Though he never made a game
He would be the genre's holy healer
Fill the goons with shame

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
There was a dev that really was gone
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
He crobbled millions in a great con

But when his lying and hustling and his hunger for money became known to more and more people
The demands to do something about this outrageous fraud became louder and louder.

This man's just got to go, declared the Crytek team
Now their lawsuit would put an end to Roberts' dream
The backers and the shills, their hearts filled up with fear
But the salty asshats let out a rousing cheer
Then one night a team of high-priced lawyers
Served him Crytek's legal claim
Skadden would now be the game's destroyers
(Goons were still to blame)

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
They raised a suit, said "your rear end is mine!"
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
He laughed it off and said "we'll be fine"

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
They didn't quit, they wanted his head
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
And so they sued CIG 'til it was dead

Oh, those lawyers...

This deserves more love. I'd like to see Turisas cover this version.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Say what you will about Disco, at least he doesn't look like a scoop of mashed potatoes that never takes off its stupid loving backward baseball cap.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Golli posted:

None of them emphasize realism in the boring, transit parts

Friend, let me introduce you to VATSIM and virtual freight airlines.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Berious posted:

also it sounds like friendship drive :glomp:

Friendship Drive Engaged!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Just found out about a game called Helium Rain. It's single-player, but otherwise sounds like it scratches every single itch the citizens have.

The Developer posted:

Helium Rain has a focus on three important elements : realistic handling of ships, long travel times, and a dynamic universe. Ships have lots of inertia, they move in three dimensions, can turn independently from their velocity, and don't have a maximum speed. Fleets can take days to reach a destination, with a travel system that is essentially turn-based and requires you to plan ahead when you manage military fleets. And attacking a cargo ship, destroying resources or blockading an area have meaningful consequences on the world's simulated economy

Oh, and get this: they're using UE4 for the engine, and some store assets, but everything not licensed is in a public Github repo. They also accept patches from players.

The Developer posted:

I'd like to thanks the volunteers who send pull requests with every version...

Where is your Most Open-est Development Ever now, Citizens?

Edit: It costs $15 (but is on sale for $10.50 right now on Steam)

mdxi fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 3, 2018