Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Raenir Salazar posted:

Related, one thing I also felt was very "Type-Moon" in terms of art style is "Casually conservatively dressed heroines": Shiki, Saber, Arcuid, kinda sooorta Tohsoka, her red shirt covers a decent amount compared to a lot of anime today. It's something I *like* and find refreshing from TM and why some of the FGO Servant designs are just blergh and are disappointing, they abandon what I considered to be TM's signature 'style'.
FSN also had Medusa. Sure, the heroines are conservatively dressed, and this is something that has never changed (Hakuno, Gudako, Mashu), but the bets were always off with the side characters. And before FGO there was CCC.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Roll Waver and the rest of your team literally doesn't matter. Waver-Mashu results at level 10 being able to almost always having their defence buffs up; so you can slot in almost anyone else to get through content.
Remember it takes up to Camelot to bring Mashu up to scratch and material scarcity was a big thing in early FGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Pureauthor posted:

Lancelot's 'Eternal Arms Mastery' got translated as 'Infinite Military Training'.

I've been told the japanese name's supposed to imply "dude was constantly developing his skills", rather than "this is everlasting proof of his skill", so this's actually closer to the intended meaning. Still awkward, though.

Bakanogami posted:

FGO doesn't have anything quite like godfests, but they'll often pick 1-2 servants and give a special gacha that gives them a moderate rate up

Just for the record empirical testing has shown roughly 60% of qualifying rolls fall within the pickup, so while the overall chances are still pretty bad the rateup itself is pretty significant.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Lord Koth posted:

Good thing Jason isn't even a Servant so someone can't even ironically do that. And given how much the Nasuverse plays up just how much of a dick he is with basically no redeeming qualities, I don't think a version of him will ever get released either.
Actually they plan on introducing him due to popular demand.

He's a dick, but he's a lovable dick. :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Fortunately for my sanity my first reroll gave me Medea and Martha for the tutorial roll and Altera, D'Eon and a slew of useful CEs for the quartz roll so I'm set.

And since Altera chose to show up once again (she was my first 5* in JP FGO) I think I'm gonna grail her. I don't super like her FGO design but Wada improved her by 100% for Extella so I can just pretend.

Lord Koth posted:

I could have sworn seeing him described as effectively having Gil's personality, except with absolutely none of the good points or vaguely legitimate reasonings from a certain point of view, along with lacking the ability to actually back any of it up. Doesn't exactly sound very lovable to me, but I guess JAPAN(?).
It's not just Japan. Really, he's an egocentric rear end in a top hat with no tact whatsoever but he's actually a good guy (as in, "displays good intentions", rather than "we're told he's good"), and pretty fun to witness.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 27, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

The man called M posted:

What are those blue crystals used for? None of Da Vinci's shops use it as currency.

QUICK GUIDE TO CONSUMABLES:

Bronze/silver/gold-colored crystal cards: ___ of Wisdom: Servant-type cards, they are XP you feed to your servants to level them up. Matching class confers 50% more XP. All-class XP (starburst icon) matches class with anybody, including Extra classes such as Shielder. Extra Classes don't have matching XP cards, so you either have to eat the efficiency hit or save your All-Class XP for them.

Squirrel dude: Hero Crystal: ___ Fou aka Fou cards: Servant-type cards, they are used to increase your servants' stats a little bit up to a cap. Feed them to whoever is your main attacker then whoever you like the most. You can only add +1000 HP/ATK through this method. It's honestly not that big of a deal but muh completionism. You can only use matching or All-Class Fous.

Round blue crystals with class icon: Shining Gem of ___: They are consumed to reach levels 2 and 3 on a skill. Obviously needs to match class to be usable.
Rectangular red crystals with class icon: Magic Gem of ___: Consumables to reach levels 4 and 5 of skills.
Pointy yellow crystals with class icon: Secret Gem of ___: Consumables to reach levels 6 and 7 of skills.
Weird purple cubey thingies: Crystallized Lore: Consumable to reach lv 10 on a skill.

Silver figurines: Used to ascend Servants to their 2nd stage.
Gold figurines: Used to ascend Servants to their 3rd stage.

Assorted random weird objects such as claws and fangs: Consumables to level skills to level 5 and higher and ascend servants to 3rd, 4th and final stages.

Blue crystal thingies: QP, the currency used to pay for all improvements. Feeding XP uses a little QP, ascension uses a significant amount and skills range from "a little" at low levels to "literally millions" for the last few levels.

Holy Grails: Enable Palingenesis, aka uncap a Servant past their natural level cap. 60/65->70->75->80->85->90->92->94->96->98->100. It eats shittons of XP and QP. Grail for waifu, not for stats.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 27, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I rolled 160 quartz and only got Emiya NP2 for it. I wanted tiddymom.

Ledgy posted:

Well that's weird, the free summon refreshed but not the daily login bonuses. Oh well.

They don't roll over at the same time. IIRC it's midnight and 4am JST for the JP version. The free FP roll also had timezone fuckery because the UI will use your local time for rollover but the server will actually use server time, so you'd get errors or weird behaviors depending on the mismatch. I kinda doubt they fixed it for the US release.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 28, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Pureauthor posted:

Welcome to gachahell.

Enjoy your stay

I've been at this for two years. There's a reason why I don't buy quartz.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Pureauthor posted:

Oh, I misread. I guess tiddymom means Raikou then.

Yeah. Who were you thinking about? I can't think of any release-day servant that counts as tiddymom except, like, Boudica but she's tiddy nee-san.

Dr Pepper posted:

Heh. (Orleans Spoiler)

So Lancelot mistakes Jeanne for Arturia this time around? :allears:

They actually took the time to code the behavior in gameplay, too.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Pureauthor posted:

They're supposed to refresh every month. Not sure about why they have it listed as lasting a year.

The very first batch lasted for a year, and we didn't get renewals until a while in. After that it was monthly. I assume it was 'cause it took some time for the playerbase to rev up their mana prism generation to "can buy the tickets and stuff every months" levels.

Dr Pepper posted:

Blackbeard's death line. :psyduck:

It just goes on and on.

FYI you can tap to skip death lines.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 29, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bakanogami posted:

It's kinda right on the edge. IIRC reddit or the wiki or somewhere did the math and arts first usually generates more NP than arts last but only if you can get a brave combo, and even then it depends on class?

BQA is best for damage, ABQ is best for NP generation and star generation, assuming a single servant. Specific combinations depend on the people involved, personally I put the servant with better NP gen or two arts/quicks first and the other dude last, since I like having NP levels even so I can chain them.

Jenny Angel posted:

gently caress... I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna encounter any Noble Phantasm names better than "Just, Kill"
I wish they'd kept some of the nuances of that NP's name but they relied on using both the furigana and kanji names to make a two-part phrase. I think it was literature inspired, too? Either way it was a bitch and you lost information when translating because you had three pieces of information (furigana translation, kanji translation, spoken line) and only two places to put them in.

The full phrase was something like, "We only need to kill, because the dagger won't return". (Without context, it becomes "Just Kill" and "Dagger of No Return", iirc).
Referring, of course, to the fact Jing Ke's mission was a suicide mission.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 29, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

InfinityComplex posted:

I prefer non-returnable dagger myself.

Returnable is a terrible word. :colbert:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Pureauthor posted:

I'm more tickled by the idea that her greatest manifestation of her 'legend' is being a giant lazybones.

It's a reference to an old method of torture that involved releasing humans into a forest with a wild tiger running around. The feast was the people. :v:
(Nowadays it just means a particularly debauched feast)

Endorph posted:

is that tamacat's? because hers is insanely long even in japanese - 燦々日光午睡宮酒池肉林さんさんにっこう ひるやすみしゅちにくりん
We rendered that one as "Opulent Feast of Sunshine Catnaps" or "Opulence of Sun and Shine and Catnap", so Aniplex did pretty well there. But yeah all names involving Tamamo are super long and hard to translate.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 29, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DrManiac posted:

Is there a good write up on CE yet?
Higher rarity cards are always better than equivalent lower rarity ones.
Less situational is better than more situational.

Crit-related CEs (both stargen and crit damage) aren't super useful until a few months down the line when we start getting servants with enough hitcounts to actually make a significant number of stars, although it's not nearly as dire as JP release day 'cause Quick cards are already buffed. The best CEs will be cards that straight up give you stars per turn, anyways.
Buster/Arts/Quick Up are always useful 'cause they boost damage (especially if the NP is matching color) and NP/stargen.
NP damage is useful but more situational than regular damage buffs since it only works with NPs.
Starting NP is literally never bad.
NP gen can be pretty useful.
Debuff resist is lol, so far not even the spammiest debuffer has ever warranted using such a CE.
Def Up is not bad but this has always been a bit of a rocket tag game, it's better to try to kill ASAP. Later on stall becomes useful but it's still recommended to try and maximize damage output.

Later events will start giving some very useful CEs that reduce the need for gacha CEs.

New Leaf posted:

I saw somewhere that Altria sucks but no explanation as to why. She is my 5 star, and I'm rather fond of her from Stay Night, which is all I've seen of the series. I'm not going to reroll or anything because I have some 5 star equip stuff and I'm into Orleans too, I'm just curious why she isn't better regarded.
She's got a very simple kit and not particularly stellar raw stats. She doesn't really suck, but she doesn't shine either.
She also gets outshined by Alter because Alter has an inexplicably boosted NP damage value.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 29, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NRVNQSR posted:

I've seen conflicting reports on this: Did the shop on JP always have 5 tickets for sale each month, or was it five tickets total for the first year before becoming monthly?
There were 5 tickets in the shop with duration one year. After a while that definitely was less than a year, they started regularly adding 1-month tickets to the shop. I'm pretty sure they didn't overwrite the original batch of tickets for sale.

Nate RFB posted:

Between the mediocre anime of Fuyuki and having redo the Prologue a bunch for rerolls I've grown to intensely dislike the story for the first singularity, but I kind of knew it was kind of eh to begin with so that wasn't surprising. Just treated it as a Quartz/FP farm (from Cu Caster).

E: So I know from this that Nero is added to the summoning pool after Septem, but what is the difference between her and say Mordred who is not a Limited Servant but also seemingly not unlocked by clearing something later? Is it a case that the summoning pool simply gets updated passively for all players and all of a sudden players will start getting Mordred in rolls regardless of where they are in the story?
When you beat a chapter, the game secretly switches the gacha pool that represents "the story gacha" to you. So there's a initial gacha, a post-Fuyuki gacha, a post-Orleans gacha, etc.

Generally speaking, we almost always have at least two quartz gacha going on at any given time (plus the FP gacha):
The current available story gacha will have the base set of servants + story locked servants up to whatever you cleared.
The current available event gacha will have the base set of servants + event servants (which may include otherwise story-locked servants). So even if you clear Fuyuki you can't randomly get Alter from rolling event gachas. (Unless she's included for whatever reason)
Sometimes we have more than one event gacha going at the same time.

Later on for special events they'll run special one-10-roll-only gachas that can only be rolled using paid quartz (you'll note it keeps track of how much quartz is free vs how much you bought. The free quartz is always used first). These gachas so far have always guaranteed at least one 5* (can be more).

Incidentally, the story gacha system makes certain servants disproportionately rare, particularly the 3* story locks such as CasCu and CasGilles, since nobody rolls story gacha for them and rarely if ever get included in event gachas.

Freak Futanari posted:

Kiara, MHXA, Scheherezade

Why are all the best designs wasted on terrible stats/skills
My guess is because they know their designs will drive the sales anyways. It's kinda mean but it also helps slow down the power creep, which is a thing they care about.

Nate RFB posted:

I guess this is a matter of me not knowing what "rateup" actually entails. I kind of expected it to just be a "click on Summon, and now when you do a Story gacha it has different odds", but by the sounds of it it's a different/new menu option altogether?
A "rate up" means those featured Servants are a) available in that gacha regardless of their status as limited, story-locked or regular and b) have increased chances of showing up IF you rolled the right rarity. It's been estimated that about 60% of SSR rolls will be a rateup'd SSR, so rateups are not a lie despite how it may feel.
Event gachas always feature a rateup.

SOMETIMES, namely right after releasing a new chapter, the event gacha is also flagged as the story gacha, which means it includes the base set of servants + story locked servants + the event servants. Only the event servants are rated up, of course.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 29, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Just you wait until April 1st when everybody gets Riyo'd.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Endorph posted:

Time doesn't go linearly in the story, it jumps forward by a few months with each singularity. That's why there's no actual story event for new year's, just a gacha. Of course, that does raise the question of how we could have had two halloweens in that time, but, uh, shutu p.

Canonically events happen roughly at the time they get released. They mention how it's been a year and such.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

delfin posted:

Finally looked it up that when everyone says Waver, they're referring to Zhuge. That explains a bit.

It's because for the longest time people couldn't read what was printed on the card so they just went with the picture. :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NRVNQSR posted:

A lot of the common nicknames are pretty unhelpful to new players. Especially in this case, since the game is making at least a slight attempt to actively conceal his identity from casual players until he ascends.
There's a currently running LN series involving adult Waver being a magical detective, they aren't even trying to hide anything.

Not their fault most casuals only know of the FZ anime. :v: :v:

(seriously though, they really should localize Case Files)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

BlitzBlast posted:

So technically speaking rayshifting isn't wrong, even though that name tells you jack poo poo about what the thing is actually doing. What, are you being turned into rays of light?

You're turned into pseudo spiritrons which are made of photons (somehow) so yes, actually. :v:

Really though it's an impossible to translate term because Nasu decided to layer every possible meaning plus L/R confusion into it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

I keep forgetting to review this mostly because they don't have an index so I can check the rest out.

Anyways, wrt Lily: Her NP heals everyone, not just herself, and for a surprisingly useful amount. Her NP charge skill affects everyone, so she can help others charge faster. Once she finally gets her NP5 from Saber Wars she does respectable damage thanks to a higher-than-average multiplier and the fact she's NP5. (This last one applies to all freebies)

wrt Atalanta: Her NP can easily generate 30-50 (or even more) stars. She's great for setting up Buster critmemes, although admittedly it's not quite relevant with the release day set of servants.

Dr Pepper posted:

Man why do Rulers cost literally three times the amount of materials to ascend.

Like, OK, a mix of different class tokens, that's fine. But it's the same number of each token. I can ascend three Servants.

They're costlier in early game when every resource matters, but then much cheaper in midgame when you have a million pieces to spare but need a billion non-piece mats and then levels out in late game when you have a good stock of both so it doesn't really matter.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 2, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Tired Moritz posted:

yeah, why not "enemies does less damages to your servants."? It reads like they accidentally copied the attack down tip.
That's actually correct because Defense Up is mechanically identical to Attack Down. :v:

(Also, there's other "less damage" skills, just as Waver's, which don't use Def Up but rather use Damage Cut, which is a flat subtraction at the very end of the calculation.)

Vengarr posted:

They'll let anyone be a Heroic Spirit these days.

But for real, how do you become a Heroic Spirit without a legend/myth? I thought you had to do more than simply perform great deeds, you had to somehow exceed human limits.

So George Washington could skate by because he cut down a cherry tree once.
You just need to be cool enough to merit enough people saying "man that guy was cool".
Also, Nasu history means he really could have been a vampire hunter.

Vengarr posted:

Archer, Noble Phantasm "Magic Bullet"
Too bad they already used Der Freischütz 'cause it's pretty much perfect for a Kennedy-based story. :v:

Freak Futanari posted:

Question. Which CE gives Arash the biggest NP damage boost: Demonic Bodhissatva, or Black Grail?
Black Grail deffo.

Endorph posted:

Demonic Bodhissatva. It's a 200-400% damage increase, depending on if you've done his interlude.
The jump from 1000%/1200% to 1100%/1400% multiplier is just a 10%/16% increase, respectively. Meanwhile Black Grail is straight up 60%/80% more NP power. You gotta compare buffed damage to unbuffed, not just use the raw numbers, 'cause diminishing returns.
One more overcharge level looks enticing but then you look closer and realize that it's not actually particularly good, 'cause it only works once and almost any other CE provides better buffs to damage overcharges.

Vengarr posted:

Give up now.

Orleans and Septum are full of useless fights, from a gameplay and story perspective. Three waves of 1500 HP skeletons/soldiers who do 300 damage a hit? I know they wrote those chapters before the guaranteed 4* tutorial Servant, but even a team of 3* won't have any trouble with those.

And they're not even a speedbump to Heracles :black101:
I'm not sure what it says of the industry and/or the userbase that they really honestly though people wouldn't have the attention span to care about the story without constant fights.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 2, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Baal posted:

I have an index in the second post of the thread, if you want to comment about more of them then they're there.

Already, let's see:
  • Mash: Technically her skillup costs are nothing like any other servant's. Her skill mats are just 5 of every release-day material. Which is really cheap in the grand scheme of things, really. Cheaper than even bronzes, IMO.
    Her NP generation is decent enough, and if you pop her 3 then she can easily go from 0 to 100% and even to 200% if you hit a crit. It's kind of insane. (And unlike many, her NP has tangible benefit from the increased overcharge). Damage Cut is applied after most modifiers including class advantage, so its effect is magnified when you apply it along side other Def Up buffs or when properly exploiting the class triangles. Stacking her skill and NP can let the team take almost zero damage from NPs. After upgrade her damage output is actually fairly respectable, if not particularly stellar, so her cards are less of a waste.
    I'd rate her at 5/10 before Camelot and 9 or even 10/10 after. She doesn't quite fulfill the same niches as Waver or Tamamo or Merlin, but she is better than any of the three in the "keep people alive" niche.
  • Mozart: His NP rolls the trigger chance for every effect, so it's 80% chance for each effect. Your wording is kinda ambiguous, makes it sound like it spins a roulette on the effect. I know you clarify in the Pros section, but yeah. Also the third skill is great on buster critmeme teams, which you glossed over. You also didn't specify the actual effect numbers. (It's 20%-40%, Curse is 500-2500 but nobody cares about DoTs in this game)
  • Mata Hari: Having release-day Caster animations means your Quicks are actually unusually powerful for charging NP if you give them the Arts first card bonus. It's not as good as Carmilla, but still pretty good. She needs support, but she's not as bad at cycling her NP as you paint her. (Why is this: Originally, Caster animations were 1 hit on Arts and 1 hit on Quick, but the Quick buff raised the Quick hits to two, doubling the NP generation, and their NP gen never got rebalanced to account for this. So Mata makes 14.7% on an Arts 3+first card bonus and 12.6% on a Quick 3+first card bonus)
  • Spartacus: Class-based modifiers means even though his attack is lower than Mata Hari his effective attack is higher before counting triangle modifiers. It's still bad though.
  • Asterios: Why not include the %s on overcharge?
  • Leonidas: Taunt is on himself, not on enemies.
  • George: Agree on the assassins having less inherent damage but they also have higher inherent crit rates. They're the ones that can ruin your day with a badly timed crit, so I'd rather not give people a false sense of security.
  • Teach: Isn't that 30%/70% chance to drain NP?
  • Hans: His 1 doesn't mention the crit buff is to everyone. Same thing as Mozart, it's one roll per effect.
  • Sanson: His 3 is not like Nightingale's. Servants are Humanoid, but not Human. It's a really useless skill. Also you said "burst" instead of "buster".
  • Hassan: 1-hit Arts cards are good because NP gain is balanced around arts cards (or the NP card if it's arts). Since it's single-hit, he's got a relatively high base NP generation number, which makes his Quick NP generation much better. (Conversely, Kerry's gain is rear end to counteract the fact his NP does like a million hits)
  • Gilles: Militart tactics
  • Medusa: Why not call it Blood Fort Andromeda?
  • Boudica: You keep randomly skipping some %s and I have no idea why. This one is particularly egregious given how often you bring up her 3's % value.
  • Mephistopheles: His 2 says "cri stars". Also why wait until now to explain Curse damage? Why not Mozart?
  • Lu Bu: You mention demerits on 2 of his skills but only his 3 has a demerit listed. His 2 is missing the demerit, isn't it. IIRC it's lower chance for his self-buffs to hit.
  • Darius: Proof the overall opinion a bit.

On a general note, you don't mention passives, which have a small but still significant effect. Territory Creation and Riding, in particular, are Arts and Quick Up, respectively, which means more NP gen and more stargen, respectively. These are particularly significant on the third card. Honorary mention to Magic Resistance and Divine Core, which sometimes become really useful when the fuckers start spamming debuffs or stuns.
Also I feel you kinda overemphasize self-reliance over team synergy but that's just me.
Oh, and DoTs suck so why even mention them. :v:

Trihugger posted:

Not that it's relevant anymore, but I thought he was also considered good before they reworked how crit stars were generated. When he was first released, he was the best crit star generator in the game, but they nerfed how many stars Buster and Arts cards generated and buffed Quick. I think they also tweeked how many stars you could generate off of overkill, so Gil bullying an already dead opponent to generate 20-30 stars is no longer a thing. I guess he was bad for like 3 months and top tier for the rest of the life of the game.

Captain Baal posted:

He was considered rear end until his animation update in like March of 2016, so he wasn't as good as he is now for a while and then they made him really good.
Gil was always decent-to-good. Before the release of new servants with high hitcounts he had the best hitcounts and therefore stargen with only Hassan being close. His NP gen was always pretty good (NP gen is balanced around hitcount so it never really changed except caster-animation servants got their Quick np gen doubled because the Quick buff raised the hitcount on that particular animation from 1 to 2).
Obviously the ability to be super effective vs Servants is always useful, but most of the early game was defined around single-target NPs murdering ASAP, so he wasn't super relevant. When later content came out and the adds became a real threat he rose in relevance again as he could clear the board while still dealing near-single target levels of damage to the main threat.

Also the increase in star generating servants (and the release of Fragments of 2030 with its 8 free starts per turn) and the overall increase in skill levels for important crit boosters like Waver made his crit abilities more useful, particularly his 3 which was kinda useless before.

Then finally came Merlin who fed him stars and boosted his Busters and crits and his relevance shot way up. His 3 getting a self-NP charge was just icing, really.

And for the record Altera's got such a high base Atk that she's useful even outside her NP. :colbert:

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 3, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Haha no no need to apologize, I give totes respect to anybody that bothers to write all this poo poo out. I couldn't ever be arsed to do that. That's why I wrote a program to spit out datamines for me. :v:

Tae posted:

So I saw that there's a new anime. Is it a coincidence that a lot of characters from France are there?
Same writer. Beyond that not really.

MotU posted:

random question but are there any 3* or 4* CEs that are secretly keepers no matter what or anything like that?

3*s I can't think of any except Leyline (Dragon's Meridian I think is the name?) 'cause cheap NP charge.
4*s there's a fair number, particularly Illya (Buster Up), Rin (Quick Up), Shirou (Arts Up), Sakura (NP Charge) & Maids (NP Gen Up)

(FYI there's two versions of Rin, Shirou and Sakura. The 4*s are as above, the 5*s are tiddy Rin (Arts Up), abs samurai Shirou (Buster Up) and weird sleeve Sakura (Quick Up). They obsolete the 4* versions but you might wanna hang on to them because cost and such)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 3, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Pureauthor posted:

ka-kin ka-ching

Edit: Although on the flipside if you're already going to whale that loving hard, who the hell could you conceivably still need to buy?

Event servants get added to the store during their event gacha. This means you can outright buy newly released servants if you've got the blank graphs to spare.

Pierson posted:

Whales on that level have basically got to be bored 1%-ers right?

There's the story of that guy who used up all his money, used up his parents' money and then borrowed from the yakuza...

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 5, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Schubalts posted:

All I saw were people mocking his art style and calling him Edgelord.

He's so edgelordy tryhard it comes off as endearing.

Same with Jeanne Alter post-Orleans, actually.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

RanKizama posted:

If you can't see the incompetence in the article you just took a snippet from then I've got nothing for you. Granted, that doesn't play into the lovely romanization that was given when the translations for the basic things like loving names were already done by other companies, but it's just another instance in a growing number. It's really not hard to see.

The snippet is quoting Iwakami, who is the president of Aniplex Japan. Extella was made and published by Marvelous and XSEED. Extra and CCC were made by the now defunct Image Epoch, published by Marvelous and in Extra's case localized by Aksys. The core animes have been made by Deen and ufotable.

Marvelous is not related to Aniplex.
Deen and ufotable are not related to Aniplex. (A-1 pictures, which is a currently producing Fate/Apocrypha, is owned by Aniplex)

The dude has no obligation to know what other parties do in association with the actual copyright holders, which is Type-Moon. What incompetence is there?

As for Altria, that is the copyright owner's fault. Whenever Type Moon is directly involved in the production of a work, such as material books, the name is romanized as Altria. We just assume Takeuchi is really enamored with the name. And since he's both the character designer and CEO of the entire company...

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 5, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Endorph posted:

some are just plot. you can tell which is is which by the icon next to the quest, the ones that boost their np will have a gold coin with a sword in the middle while ones that are just story will just have quartz. The coin without a sword means it boosts a skill or gives them a new one.

(if you look closely you'll note they match the icons in the Enhance menu)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

SaffronKit posted:

I really despise the dailies for ascension mats now, I've gotten more reverse scales/gold skill up gems than I have the lovely common drops I want to ascend a bunch of my cards.

Is Intermediate better for the common drops? Or just suck it up and grind?

It's easier to get common drops from lower AP missions, yeah.
And the current dailies are lame too.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Endorph posted:

actually here, a summary of the welfares. also spoilers.

saber lily (saber): bad
halloween elizabeth (caster): mediocre. her only good things are her high np gain, but she has the same arts caster with buster np problem that gilles/cu caster/mephistopheles have. though she at least has a buster up skill. only useful for waveclear on assassin nodes, but she does a decent job at that.
nobunaga (archer): pretty alright. she's another aoe np welfare but her np does decent damage and her skills actually synergize with her decent stargen. plus her NP does extra damage to servants with Riding, and a lot of Sabers have riding. And she's an archer.
Santa Artoria (Rider): She's basically Alter Saber, but in the rider class, and with worse attack. Saber Alter is pretty good, somewhat worse Saber Alter is decent. And a heal with a half-decent buff attached is probably better than rank e charisma.
Ryougi (Assassin): Arts assassin who does decent damage, has a strong single target NP due to it automatically being NP5, and has a basic but good skillset.
Irisviel (Caster): Garbo. She's a dedicated healer but the thing is due to how this game works, heals over time like Hans has are so, so much better than just flat heals. And all her NP does is heal people. Hans's heals people and gives them buffs.
Kintoki (Rider): Insanely good. He has an insanely strong NP, a skillset that it solely focused on buffing it and pumping it out, and even has decent stats for his rarity and class. He's probably one of the best 4*s in the game, and he gives a bunch of the 5* Riders a run for their money.
Scathach (Assassin): Decent. Nothing to write home about and her stargen is pretty mediocre for her class, but her NP generates a lot of stars and does decent damage due to being NP5. Mostly useful as waveclear in Rider only nodes.
Kuro (Archer): Insanely good. An amazing skillset, an incredibly strong NP, good hit counts for NP gain, and great stats for her rarity and class. Not quite as good as Rider Kintoki, but still crazy good for being free.
Elizabeth Brave (Saber): Has the best animations in the game. Is otherwise a mediocre 4* saber, though her RNG-as-heck third skill and her single target NP can lead to some shenanigans.
Santa Jeanne (Lancer): An AOE buster skillset basically like all the sabers, but she's a lancer, and with the added bonus of her NP buffing the rest of the party. And again, saint's present is probably better than Charisma. Decent.
Chacha (Berserker): Actually pretty good. Her attack is kind of low but her class makes up for it, and an aoe buster is a lot better on a berserker than it is on a Saber or Lancer or Rider. Combine that with a strong defense debuff and a skill that makes it pretty much guaranteed that she'll have 100% crit rates and she can do some great damage. Not Kuro or Kintoki tier, but a step above the average welfares.
BB (Moon Cancer): The only Moon Cancer in the game, which makes her invaluable against Avenger bosses. Her attack stat is pretty low, but her NP is decently strong and it gives her allies 20% np gauge. Works great as a damage dealer on an arts team due to that, since everyone will just be using their NPs every single turn.

And to summarize:

2 are bad
2 are mediocre
3 are decent
3 are good
1 is great
2 are amazing

So a pretty good haul all in all considering they're free.

I know this is super late but I just wanna point out that Halloween Liz has two skills that generates stars, one of them over time, and both skills also come with survivability options attached (stars per turn + pretty big self-heal and stars + guts, respectively), and her remaining skill is a Buster buff that shores up her NP damage. And she's NP5 by default.
So she can feed your party stars and help you clear preboss mobs more effectively than Berserkers. Assassin mobs in particular can get extremely annoying later on, because they have natural high crit rate and can sometimes are quite tanky. Especially those loving automata that have a 1-use Evade skill and sizable attack. gently caress those things.
So while she's not amazing, she IMO has a solid niche that is sadly underappreciated.

Irisviel is a dedicated healer, but more important she can give AoE Guts much more often than almost everyone else because even though her NP generation is kind of rear end it's still way faster than anyone else's skill cooldowns. This can be an incredible boon when you need to stick around for a long time, such as certain challenge quests (e.g. the 100 Hassan fight) or when the enemy has Invul Pierce and your def buffs aren't cutting it. Her niche is very narrow, so she's overall not really good, but she can save your rear end when you do need that niche.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 12, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NRVNQSR posted:

Better outfit because how could anything be worse, but his face and hair are way more boring. Caster Cu's design isn't an awful compromise.

That reminds me, do we know if we're ever getting the Lancer Medusa and unidentified Rider from the First Order anime? Or were they just the animation team's random ideas?

Random ideas, and would be kinda redundant at this point.
Like, Lancer Medusa is a combo of "Medusa using Harpe", covered by mini Medu, and "Medusa but more obviously evil", which is mostly covered by Gorgon.
I don't think they could even give her a different NP, unless they pull Bloodfort which I hope they don't 'cause it'd probably suck in gameplay (AoE damage with a bunch of debuffs as overcharge, maybe self-NP charge too).

Rider Darius has more design space available but nobody cares about Darius except for Iskander. :v:

Proto Cu's boring face and hair are partly because Nakahara's FGO artwork is clean but really bland.
Here's a better one:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bad Seafood posted:

I think Darius looks cool but that's about all he's got going for him.

When do we get the coolguy Archer from the opening, and no I don't mean Emiya.
Arjuna? Should show up with Karna... eventually.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NRVNQSR posted:

They really missed an opportunity not trying his first skill's effects to the server clock.
The issue there is that it skews server loads in bad ways. :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh, so he does well with a quick team? Honestly, I haven't been using the green cards as much, I don't really get how they work, beyond "drop stars, pray that your strong servants get them".

To elaborate on what the other guy said, stars are distributed using a weighed table according to something I call star weight. (I think NA FGO calls it star attraction?) Star weight mostly depends on the class, with Riders having the highest star weight (around 200), followed by Archers (150ish), Sabers & Assassins (100), Lancers (90), Casters (50) and finally Berserkers (10). Ruler and, Shielder are neutral at 100ish.
These numbers have a plus minus 5 or so variance.

Anyways, you take this base star weight of each servant, multiply in any star attraction buffs like Gail's Collector or the Bazett CE, randomly choose 3 cards to add 50 20 and 20, add everything up and divide the pie proportionally.
Then you take the pie, put it against the wall and throw darts, each star is one dart. Wherever it falls will get that star.

tl;dr: Archers and Riders will eat all your stars and your Berserkers will starve unless they have skills for it and sometimes the RNG will screw you and give the wrong servant extra priority.

E: this is why eternal arms mastery has a crazy high multiplier. It has to do 10 times the work to compensate for the terrible base value.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 18, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Schubalts posted:

A sample. Look at that Herc and ROMA!

http://news.fate-go.jp/2017/2nd_fgofes2017/

They've also got all this stuff as merch, so if you can somehow swing by FGO Fes you can pick up your own Summer Herk swag!

Personally I'm partial to Bedi and Nightingale's outfits. Those suits are snazzy.

Demiya and Kintoki are pretty great too.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
FYI they've collected the high res of the anniversary CEs, if you wanna take a closer look. They are very nice.

http://imgur.com/a/SPWwF

(They're quite detailed, probably because the artwork was also used on merch and those cardboard stands during FGOFes)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 29, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Vengarr posted:

It seems the main scenario writer for Orleans and Septem was the same guy that wrote Apocrypha, to my absolute lack of surprise.
Fuyuki = Nasu
Orleans = Higashide (Apocrypha)
Septem = Sakurai (Prototype Fragments)
Okeanos = Higashide
London = Sakurai
USA = Not sure, at this point they rejiggered the whole writing process. Originally planned to be Higashide. This was the first chapter they wrote after they received feedback on the game (which could be summarized as "wow our players actually do care about the plot!")
Camelot = Primarily Nasu, dude got inspired. Originally planned to be Sakurai.
Babylon = Nasu.

a kitten posted:

This is as close as he ever got to saying it. :colbert:

...well in the books anyway, he has said it in the movies. :v:

Part of his Bond 5 profile entry posted:

Furthermore, this True Name is associated with one of Holmes' famous saying, but, in reality, he first stated those words not in Doyle's Novel, but in the actor-manager, playwright, and stage-manager, William Gillette's theater drama. Doyle praised the Holmes that Gillette's played as "Beyond the one in my own novel."
By the way, in a short story [The Adventure of the Crooked Man] that Doyle's wrote, Holmes said to Watson "Elementary," and it is said this is the source of Gillette's inspiration.
:eng101:
Japanese anime games teaching about western fiction!

Freak Futanari posted:

Doing the final memorial quest has made me realize that Merlin has permanently hosed up the game because it feels like every boss is now balanced around people having him

I used an artsmeme team with waver and tamamo though? It was definitely designed to gently caress over all the support casters, though, what with the focusing. It was more tolerable if you brought two, because then she'd split her attacks.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bakanogami posted:

Speaking of Riyo comic, the book version (I think) while not explicitly saying their names, has descriptions on the 3 Riyo-original servants that completely gives it away.

[etc]

I wonder what the chances are that they're ever added to the game proper?

I am seriously hoping tonight's secret announcement is those three.

Btw the secret announcement should be in a bit over 10.5 hours from this post.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I thought Da Vinci is and was summoned as a man, but just decided to use his Caster powers to turn himself into his ideal vision of beauty, the Mona Lisa.
Dude dicked with his summoning so his Saint Graph (the body) would be shaped like the Mona Lisa.
Or he loved Mona Lisa so much the above happened. I don't recall which.

Either way dude loves it.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 1, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

a kitten posted:

I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed that my newly, (shockingly painlessly) ascended Murder Cat isn't whacking people with the soup ladle she somehow aquired.

Man I hope she uses it when she finally gets an animation update.

Schubalts posted:

Th-there's still hope for Scheherazade!

:smith:

Schez is still a bit too new for a SQ. I mean, she does need it, but it was unlikely she'd get it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I grailed Altera after she showed up as my first 5* in my NA FGO.
She was my first 5* in JP FGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Endorph posted:

the cash to quartz ratio is actually pretty good if you buy in bulk, you can get a ten roll for like 14 bucks which is way cheaper than just about any other game of this type

I wonder if you guys will get the bonus quartz increase during the first anniversary since you already have the price reduction.