Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I took advantage of the Easter holidays to finally finish this game. It was quite a ride. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OutofSight posted:

Imagine Mark Zuckerberg would stay forever looking like twentysomething. But he has a sweet chrome-arm with wifi port = gps tracking for instant facebook access.(like the corp form Deus Ex: Human Revolution) And he wants to cut everone's limbs and replace them with sweet facebook arms, too.

Time to get my old SR books from the attic and work on a campaign...

I have the feeling Zuck would try to transplant his head out of his scrawny physical body onto a buff robo body a la Jaron Namir over the protests of his underlings and die from the essence loss.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I loving LOVE the Alice setup. It's basically the perfect excuse to have some ACTUAL shadowrunning in this game: you need a crap load of money to find the one person who can help you who has been missing for decades so get working. You can't give the "I am trying to save the world" excuse because there's something hunting those who knows too much. Heck, the person who you need to give a crap load of money to isn't even gouging you or anything: she even points out that she needs the money to pay off a LOT of OTHER people to find this guy.

This is where the game really starts getting good. Strap in lads.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

he looks a goon

A hipster goon, which obviously makes him incredibly trustworthy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

gently caress me, now I want a Shadowrun: LA game where you have to do exactly that. No big plot, no saving the world, just a bunch of runners wanting to make it big in showbiz/the music industry :syoon:

Instead of Mr. Johnson, all clients are known as "Mr. Cowell"

Or, God help you, "Mr. Morgan".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Interesting real world events relevant to this game: the real life Kreuzberg's residents are lobbying against Google setting up shop there and gentrifying the gently caress out of the place:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/may/09/gently caress-off-google-the-berlin-neighbourhood-fighting-off-a-tech-giant-kreuzberg

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yup, we were just tricked into committing a terrorist bombing.

Lesson learned: never deal with a hipster.

Kanfy posted:

And so thanks to our skill and competence the job was finished to the letter with (almost) minimal casualties - meaning in the end the seemingly enslaved elf is dead, the racist rear end in a top hat is paid and gets away scott-free, Luca gets exactly what he wants and Jana's ordinary life with her cat and her boyfriend is probably ruined forever.

Welcome to the Sixth World, enjoy your stay. Time for us to return home.

I have the feeling that James' horrified look is him realizing that if they were expecting him to die that means they want to get rid of him and that his days are numbered.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 11, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Like why an organization that old still hasn't figured out what "Penultimate" means.

If I ran an evil organization, I would definitely call myself "Number Two" or something similar just to gently caress with people and keep them guessing who the REAL leader is.

I mean hell, The Prisoner comic follow up implies that's exactly what was happening in that show.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 14, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Who does Number Two work for?

Edit: Some of the supposed facial recognition defeating paint is a lot more cyberpunk, though.

I really like the one on the right because you can see it being done by a futuristic machine or robot that generates a random pattern every time to make it useless for the recognition software to save your face for future comparison.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

WÜSTOF GEGEN ZWILLING :v:

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 21, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Oh, and Beckenbauer is presumably none the wiser about us murdering the smugglers as he makes no comment on it. Poor Maxim, forgotten by the world already.

You can brag to him that you murdered Stahl, though. That's MY pick for "best mission reward".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I would have taken blitz in case there is any decking to be done, but that would mean spending a whole mission alone with blitz D:

I took Eiger as well under the rationale "We're looking for guns ergo we take the woman who knows about guns. And can also break the face of anyone who doesn't want to give us said guns."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm really looking forward to see what HBS can do with Shadowrun now that they're not having to kickstarter every game.

If they apply Battletech's campaign structure to a Shadowrun game, I'm there.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Anticheese posted:

I still wanna see Payday: Shadowrun.

Since they have by this point crossed over with everything from Hotline Miami to Scarface to John Wick to Hardcore Henry, I'd say it's just a matter of time.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bewilderment posted:

In the world of Shadowrun, population changes of various wacky kinds means those high-rises got changed back into high-density apartments much like the old walled city!
(because the original Shadowrun writers probably wrote about it back in the 80s and didn't foresee it getting pulled down)

If these LPs get to Shadowrun Hong Kong, we'll see a bit of that.

Is the fact that the Walled City was torn down but was later REBUILT canon Shadowrun or something made up for Hong Kong? Because I found that point hilarious.

Slaan posted:

All these massive drug price increases seem more reasonable now that we know it's standard industry practice to install gun turrets, extreme ICE protection, and dozens of armed goons at every minor facility

People cant afford their drugs so they try to break into the labs, which leads to more security, which leads to more expensive drugs...chicken and egg problem, really.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I did this mission having been spoiled on the "twist" so I did the professional thing for the Karma. Nice to see I made the right choice. What an utter piece of poo poo.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I've how everyone gets upset with you for that one even though you still did the job asked of you in spite of outside interference.

At least Eiger appreciates our professionalism. That's why she's great.

Tylana posted:

Hmm. No Lodge request for that mission? I wonder what would be worse, being asked to kill the rigger or to save him? Imagine if you had all the reasons the game gives but you also know it'll make the Lodge happy.

The Lodge only calls when you REALLY don't want them to.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ephemeron posted:

This is an amazing journey. Thank you for taking us along, Kanfy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I know most cults tend to be variations on a theme but reading all that stuff about Harrow again right after binging Uncover: Escaping NXIVM left me feeling super uneasy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

That reason being that Max deserves someone better to take care of her. :colbert:

That was my reason for not giving Max back to him. Besides, there was only room in that team for one rear end in a top hat dronelord: me.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 16, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This upcoming run is better than it has any right to be. It's worth having Blitz on your crew for it alone. Kinda screws you over a bit if you're not specced right, though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Can a main character who is a decker replace him completely, functionally if not narratively?

Pretty much, yeah. My PC was a Rigger/Decker and Blitz was permanently benched except for his personal mission.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

And THIS is why we didn't use our Mulligan on Volker.

(Says the dude who did all of the Lodge missions. In my defence I had no idea you were allowed a Mulligan)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 19, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

kaosdrachen posted:

(Although this would probably be a good summation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJIjNs_s2NI )

You got to love how despite the countless deaths, no one at OCP ever figured out the simple concept of "don't use live ammo in demos".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I dont know posted:

I saw Robocop for the first time a few months back. There is a throwaway line in there about how profitable OCP's prison division is. That got a bitter laugh from me. At the time it was made, the idea of the government privatizing the prison system to for profit corporations was regarded as a parody of corporate greed as oppose to just being the system.

The full line is "You'll find that we've gambled in areas traditionally regarded as non profit: hospitals, prisons, space exploration. I say good business is where you find it." It just sounds so QUAINT now.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

>>*Herr Schmidt*
>>to: Rosa

Here's your money. Don't ever contact us again.

-Schmidt

PS - When your new "friends" turn on you, I'm gonna spit on your grave.

When I got this email after doing the Lodge objective, I honestly felt a small chill up my spine. Short but effective.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is this something you are able to share with the thread or does it fall under whatever "no spoilers" rules may be in place

Maybe we can just wait until the actual update. Pretty sure it will be discussed in length then.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Everything OK, Kanfy? :ohdear:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

As I've said before and will say again, we're in the most boring cyberpunk dystopia.

Also, LOL @ Green calling himself muscular. Pretty sure that wasn't the description of him given when we first saw him.

That entire profile is gold but the most hilarious thing to me is it having THAT picture. Winters is definitely the sort to think "Yup, looking good!"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

The reward for finishing Feuerstelle on the revenge path is a weapon upgrade for Glory. Guess it was only a matter of time until they made this particular pun, even if it took them until the re-release of the DLC.

Lol, I knew about this upgrade but had no idea what it was called. Love it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So does the game actually put all other objectives on hold when the option to start this missions shows up (and thus we are essentially going to see these missions being completed with a much weaker team than we are "supposed" to have right now or as long as you don't talk to her, it's fine?

Also, lore-wise, how suicidal is taking this job? It sounds like "Kick Lofwyr in the balls" level of suicidal.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

iirc the trouble with those QTEs was that there was never a reason to not take every single one of them. It never had any negative consequences or put you at any sort of disadvantage.

The big disadvantage was if you did Renegade interrupts if you were playing mostly Paragon or vice versa: there was a hidden stat that the more you stayed consistent, the faster you built up Charm/Intimidate and if you didn’t do that you could miss a lot of Charm/Intimidate checks later on.

It’s utter loving bullshit how they give you role playing options and screw you over like that. I’m extremely glad RPGs have started to move away from Karma Meter bullcrap.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

The company I work for got cryptolockered about a year ago. Apparently the attackers got in via the printer, which is internet-connected so it can order its own ink refills.

Wow, it's literally like that old joke:

quote:

Tech Enthusiasts: Everything in my house is wired to the Internet of Things! I control it all from my smartphone! My smart-house is Bluetooth enabled and I can give it voice commands via Alexa! I love the future!

Programmers / Engineers: The most recent piece of technology I own is a printer from 2004 and I keep a loaded gun ready to shoot it if it ever makes an unexpected noise.

Security technicians: *takes a deep swig of whiskey* I wish I had been born in the Neolithic.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Hey good looking out, lemme run the numbers here real quick.

Hmm yes I'm looking at the data right now and I believe we can indeed confirm the presence of numbers.

Can't argue with data!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Might as well get the inevitable discussion out of the way:

Why the hell are there mercenaries sitting around guarding bombs until they actually explode? Are they THAT committed to the cause?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Basement? What could you possibly want to go down there for?

You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

You'd be surprised what I'll believe. Try me.

All right. I need to stop a killer AI so that I can rescue an elderly scientist from a ghost-dragon. The future of Berlin could be at stake.

You're right. I don't believe you.

This is one of my favorite exchanges in the game, hands down.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, sure. Let's release cyber-Cthulhu after it murdered our friend. That sounds like a great idea.

Send this son of a 486 to the Recycle Bin.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Guess that Vauclair forgot to teach his pet A.I to NOT eat his little brother.

code:

if((target.CurrentlyInvestigating() == "Feuerschwinge") || (target.CurrentlyInvestigating() == "Adrian Vauclair"))
{
	target.Kill();
}

"Should be enough! No way this backfires!"

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 13, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

By popular demand posted:

E: no fair, you removed the exclusion clause while i was replying

I was trying to make a joke around having "target.Name() = "Hermann Vauclair" instead of "target.Name() == "Hermann Vauclair" mistake but found I couldn't make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, way to date this game, HBS.