Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Edward Mass posted:

According to serebii.net, Plusle and Zangoose and exclusive to the Americas and Africa, while Minun and Seviper are exclusive to Europe, Asia, and Oceania.

It'd be nice if they put borders somewhere else than "entire loving continents", but Niantic's gonna Niantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also yeah I'm getting a hazardous weather alert. There are no warnings, nevermind alerts on our local weather service. The gently caress is Niantic getting their data from?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Parrotine posted:

So for all the hype it's confirmed that Slaking is pretty much worthless huh? I guess his Yawn move really cuts any momentum he might have

He's worthless on attack, not so much defense.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Agg, a 2320 Groudon decided to not be caught with ten Great curveballs.

loving hell I ain't gonna see better.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Psychobabble! posted:

For real. It's so stupid. Meanwhile I'd bet money that if I raid in chicago, that'll be the one time I get an EX pass, and it's not like I can just have some rando link up to my google account to do it for me :suicide:

Anyways, I caught this little dude today:

Since Slaking is p much gonna be useless in general and for raids(?), I should probably forgo waiting for a high IV one and just evolve this guy to sit in the gym like a beast, right? Even with the massive decay rate and all that. I'm gonna wait to evolve until I get enough candy to do the evolve all the way so it gives me a while to see if that turns out not to be the case.

The Play Rough Slaking can hold all of its counters for a decent while, even time them out often until the decay gets to it. That's all it's good for. It's beyond useless for raids.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I said it's all it's good for, it's not exactly good for gyms, but not like anything has to be. You do you.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mastershakeman posted:

I've been playing this game wrong for a year and a half !!!

edit: or not, I can't reproduce this at all. I'll work on it tomorrow with more spawns I guess. if I can get excellent throws with a big circle it proves it wrong

maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean and since I'd always waited for the circle to get small and throw into its center I was doing this anyways. the way I'm reading it is you can let the circle get small but then hit the very edge of the pokemon for an excellent which seems incredibly not true. I think this whole time I've tried to max what I thought were two variables that was only one if I'm interpreting right

The circle size, when you hit inside it, is what gives you the bonus. The "Nice!", "Great!" and "Excellent!" are labels for different sizes of the bonus. There's just one variable.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also yeah, are the current sales just plain worthless if I don't care about star pieces or incenses/lures?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
... how did the Christmas deals get... worse?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Doug Sisk posted:

The ultra box seems pretty drat good for the super incubators and premium passes alone

It's better than the pre-Christmas equivalent, but it's not the best of deals.

And the other two boxes are just ???.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

~Coxy posted:

What a really weird non-way of warning people.
Is the app going to run or not?
And is the app going to run on newer devices that haven't updated to iOS 11?

I guess that implies it will still run on IOS 9+, iff your device is 5S/Air1 or newer???

The actual answer is clear - the app is dropping 32bit processor support.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

seiferguy posted:

I'm pretty sure the main reason Niantic isn't allowing iPhone 5 anymore is because it was the spoofer's choice of phone since it lacked a lot of security patches. They'll probably ban Android 5.0 phones soon too.

I'm pretty sure you don't know poo poo about iOS.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

seiferguy posted:

I'm pretty sure the main reason Niantic isn't allowing iPhone 5 anymore is because it was the spoofer's choice of phone since it lacked a lot of security patches. They'll probably ban Android 5.0 phones soon too.

And now for the why.

iOS 11 retired a hacky compatibility layer for Apple A6 and earlier. It was a heck of a memory hog, and any app that drops support for the A6 (and earlier) gains substantial memory benefits. Eventually, all apps must drop A6 support. This was announced by Apple in October 2014.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is a good idea, but two issues:
1) gently caress having even more variant pikachus i can't throw to the candy factory
2) 3 hours one day a month????????

My first reaction was "oh do gently caress off Niantic". My second reaction is the same.

The most "not worth it" event imaginable.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Chairman Mao posted:

It sounds like you would have been happier if they had done nothing at all. If that's the case you can just ignore Pokemon go for three hours and pretend it never happened! It's not like you're going to miss out on a rare Pokemon or anything.

That's not how anything works.

Obviously people are going to be annoyed when they miss something due to Niantic being lovely, and thinking it shouldn't happen because they end up at zero is pretty loving beep-boop-robot. If you were that level of a rational operator you'd neither play Pokemon Go or post on SA.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oh so delightful.

I caught a 2270 Kyorge.

And a 2328 one ran.

Jesus gently caress the legendary system is awful. I should have rare resources I toss at things I really want, instead of an overflow of golden berries.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
1/5.

On the same day, I got a 2270 and missed a 2328.

I hate everything about Kyogre. The ridiculous difficulty of capturing, the fact that it's on during the most frozen time of the year, the fact that it just won't stop loving dodging...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ballz posted:

So you don’t have to actually be in the gym at the time in order to receive an EX pass? That’s cool, because being Instinct means I’m lucky if I last two hours in a gym unless it’s totally remote.

Still haven’t gotten a pass, regardless.

As far as anyone can tell, it used to be "raided in the gym in the past week".

Now who the gently caress knows.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
This is what the Christmas boxes should have been. Woo raid passes and incubators.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
All the Kyogre I caught have 10 attack.

Meanwhile the first Rayquaza I got was 14/14/15.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
37 regular, 72 Legendary, 3 ex passes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Psychobabble! posted:

Does anyone have an iPad Air (A1475 specifically) and if so, can it run pokemon go? I know it's not optimized for tablets but plenty of people play of tablets so. I know they recently made it so a lot of older devices don't work but I'm not really sure where this specific model fits into the time line.

It has an A7 and 1GB of memory. It can barely run Go, but it'll crash a lot.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Darth TNT posted:

I'm only "smarmy" against people who immediately resort to insults.

edit: Let me just quit my job then as I don't know applications for machine learning.

You should only be smarmy after you've checked a dictionary to confirm you're not being an idiot.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Louisgod posted:

1 for 5 on Latios, gently caress Latios, loving pain in the rear end to catch.

Maybe you should learn how get good rng.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spam Musubi posted:

I left literally after the first update came out and now I’m back. What’s changed? Also let me flex my old Dragonite that hasn’t run away yet:

Easier to list what hasn't changed, which is "nothing".

The game has more meat on its bones now, though it's a bit threadbare still.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SirBukkake posted:

Apparently, there are some rumors in regards to the Pokemon switch game coming out today. The big thing being more Pokemon Go integration—in game rewards for both games, the catching mechanic will be loosely (hoping VERY loosely) be based on Go, and another piece of hardware that will link up both games.

The rumors could be true since there was data linking Go to Pokemon Bank months ago, and the Party feature still being in "Beta" (Upload your parties to the Switch game for reasons?).

I just hope Niantic isn't going to go "gently caress trading/PVP now; you can just upload your buddies to the Switch Game". And I really hope the big summer feature for the game is just an in-game map and/or chat. That would be lame.

I heard you could push a truck to find your long-lost uncle; he works at Nintendo now.

(There's rumors about loving anything remotely possible, nobody gives a poo poo until you got more than zero evidence a feature exists.)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Entropist posted:

Lol okay. This reminds me of those ROM hacks where they make alternate forms of existing Pokemon:

Great post/redtext combo.

Tall Exeggutor is one of the best additions for a few generations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Louisgod posted:

They do, for whatever reason if the signal is 3G or less this game struggles to run well. I’m guessing there are a bunch of backend handshakes that get interrupted.

This isn't true at all, the game runs entirely the same running the phone in 3G mode.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Louisgod posted:

Just yesterday for whatever reason my phone was only getting 3G access and the game consistently threw up GPS and “this item can’t be used at this time” errors, along with long delays when throwing a berry at pokemon.

That's just lovely signal, not connected to 3G in any meaningful way.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DaStampede posted:

It can't be that hard to code friendship progression through the exchange of gifts.

Whether it's hard to code or not has little to nothing to do with whatever nonsense code Niantic is farting out. At this point I'd buy them just training a new neural network to code in features every time they want to add a new one - it would fit time, cost and quality.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

slave to my cravings posted:

I suppose if your time is worthless then it makes sense.

Buying stardust, incense or lucky eggs with pokecoins is such a bad deal compared to rewards from raid passes and incubators calculating their value at zero is a perfectly acceptable shorthand.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

AzureSkye posted:

The lazy way to do it without going into an actual IV checker is to just do an assessment from the menu option. "Can really battle with the best of them/Can accomplish anything/Is a Wonder" (Instinct/Valor/Mystic) means it's in the 80%-100% range and that's usually good enough unless you're getting really into things and trying to solo higher level raids or something.

This. 80-100% range is good enough to where you'll never notice the difference (with current game mechanics), especially if the high stat is attack.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

omnibobb posted:

I want to get a cheap pay as you go phone for my kids to play PoGo hotspotted to my phone. What would people recommend for a phone that will not (likely) get turned off in the next year?

Entropist posted:

In Europe I recommend the Moto C or Moto C Plus for this - it's the cheapest phone here that's still relatively up to date on Android and from a legit brand where PoGo won't complain that it is not supported. It also has a relatively big battery, which is removable/replaceable, and allows two SIM cards which is convenient when traveling. The game runs a bit slow on it but well, you get what you pay for. It's playable for me, I've used it as my main phone for more than a year now. I've dropped it a few times and it still works fine as it has shock absorbing edges (those do get damaged).
But perhaps there are other options in the US.

With some models coming with 1GB of RAM, it's definitely getting turned into a boat anchor next year.

I recommend the Nokia 3. Not great, but vastly better than the 1GB Moto C models.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DizzyBum posted:

Some people (like me) have severe social anxiety and it's not as easy as you might think.

I'm better than I was a year or two ago but it's still very difficult to get out and talk to other people. I would much rather hide in my car and then leave immediately, still knowing how much that doesn't help me.

You don't have to talk to other people, as a general rule on special days - just look for a crowd on their phones and hit "join". If they want to prevent you from doing so, they have a private group.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also yeah these special days are actually the worst part about Pokemon Go and if it was anything but Pokemon it would alone lead me to delete the game and never look back.

3 hours at a time, timed so it's The Worst Time for a lot of people? Having to find out-of-game communities to reasonably find a group? gently caress Niantic, they're incompetent as hell.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i have three 2500+cp blisseys in gyms right now :c00lbert:

Just 2500CP? Go 3000 or go home.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Beachcomber posted:

He's actually kind of a pushover.

Works the way it does in the games - getting to a chance to catch him is a pain, but once you're there he's easy.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The way you store rewards is by running away from reward 'mons. You can't store item rewards.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

gen 3 is kinda the low point. gen 4 ain't great either but it's a substantial improvement over gen 3. gen 5 and onward rules.

Klink and Vanillite are both generation 5. Generation 5 sucks way worse than generation 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
:frogsiren: If you want friends for the quest, give a clue to your rough location. :frogsiren:

• Locked thread