Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the atmosphere in dkc3 is cool but the game chops your movement in half by never letting you build up as much momentum as dkc2 and getting rid of the higher bounce when you hold jump and it locks a ridiculous amount of content behind some really obnoxious collectibles that you'll never want to be assed with getting

the banana birds are dumb but iirc the only thing locked behind them is the true ending which is just a cutscene, which is also the only thing you need DK coins for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

that doesn't even get you an actual ending

you need the bonus coins to get the levels in the lost world so you can get all the dk coins

you need the dk coins to get the gyrocopter

you need to get the gyrocopter to get all the banana birds

you need the banana birds to actually get an ending and not just have another random fight where k. rool escapes after fighting him again and again

it's just a cutscene

using dk coins to earn Cranky's respect in 2 felt much more satisfying than using them to get a cool flying boat that lets you...find more banana birds

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
well, it's official. after defeating Michaelangelo in the semifinals and Raphael in the finals, Donatello is the undisputed King of the Ninja Turtles

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
notably the winner of the popular vote in each splatfest ended up losing, so perhaps Donnie is actually the worst turtle

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wish Splatfests had a better third item than group wins

Total points painted?
Most popular fanart?
Fewest disconnections?

e: total points divided by the number of total team members

Looper fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 20, 2018

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i'm gonna start a patreon for my video game blog stuff and hope i can pull in more than five dollars a month and if i can't then i'll have to live off of leftovers

what's your blog?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
today I went to a japanese bookstore called Kinokuniya that just opened a location nearby and I found the video game artbook section and oh man my wallet is not gonna be happy if I go there again

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

https://medium.com/@katcolonel/cotton-2-fantastic-night-dreams-3a21a7a827c9

i've only got one post up but i just wanna review obscure old games i like and poke into obscure bits of like jp computer game history. someone i know told me to do it so they could give me five bucks cause they like it when i talk about obscure old video game stuff

heck I'd read more

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
try Tales of the Abyss

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Skypie posted:

I got Symphonia and Baten Kaitos at the same time. Symphonia is really dumb but at least I enjoyed.

Baten Kaitos on the other hand was such an absolute fuckin disaster

voice acting aside, Baten Kaitos is actually a much better game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

chumbler posted:

I know it's smart to invest because savings accounts are worthless from an interest perspective, but neither will matter anyway when rich idiots destroy the economy again in probably the exact same way as last time.

Everything is meaningless so don't even bother.

Also rent in my apartment complex goes up like 10% per year.

we went in to talk about renewing our lease a couple of weeks ago and i was utterly floored that our rent was going up by less than $10

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

haveblue posted:

No it's not, you can escape capitalism through death

my dude have you seen how much funerals cost

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, M, Bullitt, Goodfellas, Clockwork Orange, 2001...

Young lonely male wannabe nerd from the early 2000s posters

i currently have Lawrence of Arabia, Bicycle Thief, Enter the Void, Godzilla 1954, and Super Mario Bros up in the living room :hehe:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Bicycle Thieves is like one of the saddest things ever.

yeah it owns

i forgot but i also have this bad boy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I played the first two stages and their B sides tonight and my thumb hurts, the switch d pad is so bad

stop using the d pad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharrrk posted:

i got this one as a christmas gift and i liked it a lot

this is sick as heck

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I owned every Nintendo system except Gamecube, but now I have a Gamecube with some games so I figured I'd play catchup. Right now I'm playing through Thousand Year Door, which is also my first paper Mario ever--I heard this one is the best one? Anyway I also have XMen Legends 2, Baiten Katos, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Caliber 2, and Bloody Roar--is there anything else worth playing that I can't play elsewhere?

what kind of stuff are you into?

-From made a couple of deckbuilding games called Lost Kingdoms, the second of which is worth playing imo.
-if you like Bomberman, Generation and Jetters are both alright.
-Mario Party 5 is the one with capsules i think, which makes it pretty top class.
-Kirby Air Ride is essential
-Harvest Moon Wonderful Life is... interesting. Magical Melody is populated by ugly babies but is otherwise good
-Custom Robo owns
-Battalion Wars is cool but if you've played the sequel then the controls will feel a little weird
-Fire Emblem Path of Radiance is one of the best in the series
-Luigi's Mansion is short but super cute
-idk if Twin Snakes ever made it to anything else but it's rad as you probably know
-the Star Wars Rogue Squadron games are v good flight sims
-Pokemon Colosseum and XD are the closest we currently have to console pokemon
-Wario World is a Wario game made by Treasure

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the gamecube owns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Prime 2 is the best Prime, much like Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark

this is true if and only if you ignore the end game key hunt

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

We got a bird in our workplace a couple of days ago, the managers just called the exterminators :/

exterminate the managers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Do what we all do, pretend that time enjoyed isn’t wasted

time spent feeding the capitalist machine is time wasted almost by definition

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

(plays star fox assault for the first time) huh this doesnt seem too bad

(tries to control anything in the second 3rd person shooter/landmaster stage) holy gently caress this is awful

which control scheme are you using?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharrrk posted:

the super mario bros. movie rules

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
"yes it is absolutely a good thing to have fewer options" - an idiot, who probably smells weird and gets barked at by dogs

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i wish i could be playing dark souls on switch :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

If you want a Linkle game, buy Dragon's Crown.

i love that Linkle's second weapon is the Pegasus Boots so she also has a kick-centric moveset, as though she weren't a blatant enough copy of the Elf

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Marcille is the coolest elf because she is good at magic, is very relatable to me because she is cute and I am cute, and also she is gay.

this manga is insanely good and Marcille is one of the best characters. everyone in the core party owns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

There's nothing interesting about robots in scifi when they look, talk, and act exactly like regular humans.

it worked very well in blade runner, a movie david cage has never seen

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah but are hylians elves?

hylians are humans
zoras are elves
gorons are dwarves
kokiri are gnomes
deku are goblins
gerudo are....um I'll get back to you

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

he's not an auteur, he doesn't believe in stories in video games

i may not agree with yoko taro on tone but i do agree with him on fishing mini games. ff9 meets this criteria. chocobo hot and cold is, after a fashion, a type of fishing

lots of movies directed by film auteurs have minimal focus on story

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's actually a M/W/Thur/SatAM course. 4-6 hours a session. Summer half-semester graduate courses are brain melters.

every single time I've taken long classes, you can feel the energy in the room plummet after hour three and it's so painfully obvious nobody is engaged or interested in being there anymore that i don't see the point

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
David cage is a creep so it doesn't really matter how good or bad his games are imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I took 2 hour 30 min classes last semester and preferred them to my old college schedule. I'd rather do all my poo poo for a class once a week in a big chunk then have to keep going back to the same one multiple times.

my grad school classes were so mentally exhausting that it was actually a huge relief when i got in trouble at work for doing my homework on the clock because i could justify turning my brain off for a few hours

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i played detroit for two hours last night (assuaged my guilt by only renting it) and had fun that's my story

please don't feel guilty about playing the new video game!

i mean it's not like it's kingdom come

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
legacy of goku is one of the only games kid me used a gameshark to beat because boy was it a grind otherwise

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

gently caress Sen's fortress.

Sen's Fortress owns for how malevolent the environment itself is

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Its weird to me that so many games can only have one general battle song when Earthbound figured out it was better to have a bunch back in 1994.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if there were games that came before Earthbound that had a bunch of battle songs.

it should be a cardinal sin for rpgs to only have one non-boss battle theme

I really dig Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates way of handling music though. maps will have a calm track playing that smoothly transitions into a more percussive and bombastic version of the same track when a battle starts up and then transitions back when it ends

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Phantasium posted:

You should have gotten the dash immediately after finishing the opening stage.

this forever

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

is that aisha clanclan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if you're gonna use the same June title as the last two years, at least preface it with June Chat Remastered

• Locked thread