Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

don’t forget that you’ll need to remove the car seat to fold down the rear seats

carrying one of those auto glass hammers/strap cutters is probably a better option

unless Elon didn’t like the aesthetics of safety glass lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

canyoneer posted:

he sent a submarine expecting a kid pro quo

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a 30 year old demon in a child's body

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

any sort of company with an iso 9001 cert or emphasis on quality assurance should be tracking all this poo poo and not loving comingling nonconforming damage material back into the supply stream without a material review board authorization after rework

sounds like the suppliers who are too slow, inflexible, and expensive for elon

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

hedge fund v elon? whoever loses we win

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

Video game crash of 2018

This article is about the Tesla crash caused by Atari video games. For the industry crash caused by Atari video games, see Video game crash of 1983.

hah

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

President Beep posted:

lol

my awesome tesla, itself it can drive!
i hit a brick wall, no longer alive.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

anybody checked on the SoftBank guy recently? p sure he’d be pissed if he’s not involved

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

hahaha

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

a six hour layover; scouting delorean plant, scoring some new Protestant club drug fueling/crew stop?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

musky smell

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

nah, by like '09 the Prius could go a mile or so and up to like 40 mph on the electrics only

10 mph unless in the plugin prius

also not more than 5-10% of throttle or it turns on anyway.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

with enough nukes, anything is possible; look up NAWAPA.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

assembly line so fast suborbital velocity deliveries direct to customers

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

iospace posted:

The only problem I can think of about why Tesla didn't license the drivetrain is that it would likely require a patent, which is a pro and a con. For 17 years, only people you approve can use the drivetrain (I think), and they have to pay you for it (know this one for sure). Once those 17 years are up, anyone can use the drivetrain for free. You have to release how it works and such, which is why a lot of companies refuse to patent things. I wouldn't be surprised if Musk felt the same way here, given his ego.

I mean, EV drivetrains are nothing new, but Tesla's was arguably the first mass-market Li-Ion one.

if your twenty year old tech doesnt have twenty years of incremental patents by the time it expires what are you even doing

if you rely on twenty year old tech as a licensor why is being a full boat automaker going to make it better

also giving away your patents lol

but bosch doesnt get invited to fashion week, lear automotive doesnt get to save the world, delphi ceo doesnt get to do sick photo spreads in vanity fair

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

diesel should die and thank vw for giving that poo poo technology one giant push that managed overcome a irrational industrial policy driven euro lovefest and get that poo poo sludge out of the industry

poo poo for emissions poo poo for carbon poo poo for efficiency

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Media Bloodbath posted:

are there any independent studies on whether or not EV cars actually are better for the environment if we look at the whole product lifetime incl. raw material sourcing?

I know it's said to be better to buy a used car over an EC but what about new IC vs EC? From what I remember the avg life expectancy of an IC is around 15 years, right?

its been done a bunch to little effect. partisans on both sides will nitpick to death. did you include the fuel used by the coal mining trucks for evs in coal zones? what about pipeline construction and trucking for gas? people driving more due to more efficient vehicles etc etc

also good for the environment is an ambiguous metric. better for co2? better on local non co2 emissions? less resource consumption? better recycling?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Lonoxmont posted:

i was always worried about the constant start-stop cycles being bad on engine wear from lack of oil pressure while starting. i take it they fixed that issue somehow?

some have an electric oil pump, some use the electric motor to turn engine before ignition to reoil, other misc engineering to address

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

also lol @ no service centers in michigan

how much you wanna bet that's because musk is a pissy baby and he wants to stick it to BIG AUTO and anyone who lives in the vicinity (collaborators)

franchise laws

unsurprisingly michigan didn’t jump to change the law to allow auto manufacturers to make direct sales like so many other states dud

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

thankfully there's a handy tool for getting out of your tesla when the doors won't open that fits into the palm of your hand

it's a spring loaded center punch. if you've never seen one of these before, they're really useful for marking metal/wood and shattering the gently caress out of tempered glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdeHk3CjgB0

it takes very little force to trigger one and it immediately destroys tempered glass. note this will not work on the windshield which has laminated glass to prevent shattering of this sort. most firefighters i know have these or something very similar they keep handy.

lol at being paranoid enough to carry one of these in your car but not have one with the integrated belt cutter

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Five-Point Exploding Car technique

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

yesss. ive been wanting to make this all day. if only it were also his tweets

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was watching the unveiling of Audi’s first all electric vehicle and one of the things that they kept bringing up was that Audi has over 100 years of experience in building cars and has a solid supply chain. There was an underlying theme of “we have the experience, institutional knowledge, and professional management to actually deliver on what we’re saying”

also, really sorry about the diesel thing, really

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ol qwerty bastard posted:

just watch the first laundry folding robots will get installed in people's homes and someone's kid will climb into one and it'll fold the kid's shirt with the kid still in it

the video of the cat in the dog washing machine

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

lol nissan

it isnt 1986 anymore

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Is there a level of trains so low it's worth ripping the tracks up too though

ehh ten trains a weekday with ten autoracks per train (probably low) and ten cars per autorack could handle their 5K weekly output entirely

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

sounds like yall ain’t respecting muskies free speech rights

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

men with puns posted:

a miserable pile of SEC writs

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

china has that cool idea where they execute you for government corruption

sure it's not a perfect system but that part is p cool

i'm from louisiana tho so maybe i'm biased

one of those things only enforced against those not in power (trump lol)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Combat Theory posted:

Thanks. I lost it half way. Not my intention to ramble about drivers especially after a lethal collision... It's just mind boggling to me that people go out and treat these cars as if they were regular vehicles without an engine noise without once thinking about how fuckin dangerous the accumulated power is.

my man if you think theres a lot of power in those batteries wait till you see how many mj are in a tank of Shell gasoline

still, tesla lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

Yeah cool how the doors could still open

heh

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao i can't wait to test drive one through a school zone

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

incels interlinked posted:

what idiot called it a model x instead of a rand rover

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

President Beep posted:

i was born in 1980. what generation am i?

daywalker

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Your a dick poo poo, all cool people LOVE good scotch, not burbon , and screw you, he who can smoke has a better brain, but Elon rarely smokes so the jokes on you.
Now go back to your boring Ibm job in a suit.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ol qwerty bastard posted:

hey why dont they just put a solar panel on top of the tesla so it can charge while it drives and you never have to plug it in

no, just tether it to the solar road, bumper car style

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Bulgakov posted:

that honest optimism about THE FUTURE! that epcot embodied is entirely shriveled and dead now :shrug:

which is depressing

honest?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

subaru's CUV is literally a lifted impreza; is anyone else's that blatant?

the bmw x1 was a lifted e90 3 series for a while

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

im here for the folks defending the vision and legacy of alfred nobel lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

nobel created the prizes in part to repent for his legacy of creating destruction (although dynamite has always been used far more by civilians for mining and construction than by any military)

wikipedia informs me he owned 70 armament companies, the merchant of death lol