Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just got my switch today, and holy gently caress this thing is amazing. I work 10 hour night shifts where I am basically just paid to exist in an area in the 1 in 10000 chance something goes wrong and having super smash makes it so much more tolerable. I picked up Smash, Diablo, West of Loathing, and This is The Police 2. Any other games that I should grab? I’m not really looking for like 60 dollar first party games at the moment, good cheap ones are ideal so I have a lot of options on longass nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

So what Super Dodgeball doesn’t count because it’s subscription based or something?

Is that game anything like the dodgeball game on the GBA? I loved that one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I was going to get one disgaea, should I go with one or 5?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Cool, I’ll get 5 once I get a microSD card since my switch is basically full. Not a lot of memory on this thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Melee had some great texture work for it's time

Melee still looks great, if a bit low-res. Same with Rogue Squadron 2. The GameCube had a lot of games with art design that had some staying power.

Edit

Bombadilillo posted:

Unfortunately black Friday was the time to buy them

Yeah, I really wish my new job started before Black Friday so I could take advantage of the deals, but as it is I’ve been going nuts on the eshop anyway. I keep telling myself I’m going to buy more physical games when I’m getting new stuff so I can trade it in if I get a turd, but digital is so convienent.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 23, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I would legit pay upwards of $100 American dollars to get a digital collection of the entire run of Nintendo Power. I never had a subscription as a kid and only grabbed random issues when I could afford it or if a friend had extra, a full physical collection is one of those dream things I'd buy if I had unlimited space, money, and time.

I got free issues for years after I stopped renewing, it was the weirdest thing. It must have been some computer error or someone hosed up putting in an expiration date.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hand Row posted:

Yea West of Loathing

West of Loathing rules. It’s a very, very funny game and if you ever played Kingdom of Loathing back in the day you’ll love it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pharohman777 posted:

Diablo 3 is amazing on the switch. Being able to use the switches portability to do a few rifts or bounties while waiting anywhere makes up for not having anything diffrent content wise other than the bonus twilight princess ganondorf transmog set, triforce portrait frame, shadowy wings, and cucco pet.

Yeah, I already owned it on PS4 but D3 on Switch has been one of my best buys on the system. It’s a great game for playing portably, since you can either sit down for a long binge or kill some time waiting for the bus and make progress either way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Roguelike chat made me sad that Gaslamp Games is dead and there will never be a Dungeons of Dredmor port for the switch, that game would be amazing on the go.

Is the FFXV pocket edition any good? I like the regular version a lot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Empress Brosephine posted:

BOTW is ok but I feel like it’s not as fun in a post RDR2 world because it all feels very...dead and nothing to do. Just my opinion though. I’m also a idiot who sold it and bought it again.

Really? I’ve liked it so far because it doesn’t have nearly as much unfun bullshit as RDR2. There’s way less stuff that comes along and disrupts my groove.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Andrast posted:

Not having a billion boring scripted missions I want nothing to do with already makes it better

Also I’ve never ended up on the run from the law because I drew down on somebody while trying to greet them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Over There posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the towers gated missions.

In what Ubisoft game did the towers gate missions? It showed you where they were if you revealed the part of the map with them in it but I can’t think of a time I couldn’t play a mission because I needed to do a tower.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

They keep saying, "New Controller". The tout the abilities of the new controller. They show people playing Wii games and using Wii apps on the new controllers. If the Wii U was a whole new system and not a new controller for the Wii, I think they would've said that literally anywhere in the announcement

Nintendo’s marketing department is made entirely by idiots. See, the 3DS, which I initially thought was just an upgraded DS that could do 3D on certain games and not a completely different line of consoles, or the New 3DS, which I think was named just so that trying to buy a used one would turn into a “who’s on first” routine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serenade posted:

World of Light? More like Waste of Labor.

WoL was a huge chore and classic mode is a much more fun way to unlock characters.

I enjoy WoL because of all the weird matches, but the steady rate of new dudes you get playing classic make it so much more satisfying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Heath posted:

I will never log offstop demanding a port of Fantasy Zone

Why. Why would ever want to play that dogshit game?

Trying to check off the 20k point completion list for it in Yakuza 0 was torture.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
As someone with the kind of hands that they designed the original XBox controller for, playing with split joycons is maddeningly difficult at best. Even both joycons in the grip is pushing it. Portable mode works pretty well for me though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone know how the Risk of Rain Switch port is? Not like I need to buy another game but I just heard it’s on switch and I remember having a blast with it a while back. That soundtrack is kickass, too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

alf_pogs posted:

its good as hell. i have not played another version to compare it to but the game had manic insane pixels going on with v little slowdown. good game

:sigh: Gonna end up buying that one when I get home and I’m not on mobile internet. I keep buying games I already have because having a portable version is that much of an improvement.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God, I bought Risk of Rain for Switch last night because someone said it was a good port when I asked about it, and I’ve ignored all the new games I have to play one I bought on a steam sale like five years ago. Game’s still great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nichael posted:

The port prices are ridiculous. For example, Doom on Switch is great, but I only have it because I got it for $12 when Walmart incorrectly priced it. It fluctuates around $30 to $50. Bayonetta 1 & 2 is $40 to $50 too. The World Ends With You is the price it was on NDS in 2008 even when it's on sale.

Yeah, I was thinking about rebuying Doom for one of my consoles. It’s 20 bucks on PS4. I’m sure it’d be great to play portable but not enough to make me drop the extra 40. 44 really, when you add sales tax to the extra 40.

I was also thinking about getting Bayonetta 2 but it’s a bit steep for such an old game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
WiiU chat made me realize I do not know a single person IRL who owns a WiiU. I think a lot of that was because everyone had a Wii collecting dust after a couple months and most people I know who had one weren’t hyped for any nintendo home consoles after. Hell, most of the people I know who own Switches got them in the past few months.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

I feel like the goon reaction to the Wii U is a bit overblown. It's a fine system, it has some really good games and even poo poo like N64 and NDS virtual console

that said, I did buy mine second-hand...

I mean, the fact there isa goon reaction is more than I see from most of my friends who play games. Everyone but the nintendo die hards kind of go “the Wii whatnow?” and even the people I know that own most nintendo things didn’t bother buying one. I haven’t seen anyone who hates it but basically no one noticed it existed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Generic Monk posted:

it was marketing. look at that e3 reveal vid a few pages back; they were leading so heavily with the 'play anywhere with the new controller' line. it really sounded like a peripheral like the balance board or something, not a whole new system.

i can understand why they did it; the wii was a phenomenon and they wanted to coast off its brand recognition. but it was also in some senses a fad and the million grandparents who were bought a wii for christmas mostly aren't going to be in the market for a wiiu.

I remember how when the Wii came out it was almost impossible to find and everyone I knew my freshman year of college had one. Wii Sports was so popular for like a month and then no one touched their Wii again until Smash came out. Motion controls were not anywhere near developed enough to carry a console, and a lot of the stuff my friends and I were hyped about because of the gimmick like Red Steel were drat near unplayable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I recently had to stop myself from buying Dark Souls on the Switch. This isn’t going to be the time I like it. I keep buying those stupid games because they should be exactly my poo poo but I’ve bounced off all of them so hard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

You might be one of those people who would benefit from watching a LP of the game first, then playing it for yourself just so you can avoid the "WTF?" moments easier.

My problem with them is mostly just that they bore me. I can’t really give more detail than that since it’s not like there’s something I can point to that doesn’t work for me. When I’m playing them, I really want to be doing something else.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

Is it the combat that bores you? The game setting? The lack of a direct story? All of the above?

I think the combat and the way the game is actually structured. I like the setting and the way the storytelling is done, but the minute to minute gameplay just doesn’t work for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hammer Bro. posted:

Wear it with pride. That story evokes chuckles.

I also had to spend a moment evaluating my lifestyle choices when I cleaned out my garage a bit and moved some things to under-the-bed storage:

I forgot how much I used to spend at Gamestop way back when.

At least I know what my retirement plan is.

That’s really cool, actually. I have a bunch of N64 and GameCube games kicking around that I can’t see myself parting with anytime soon. The worst part about the N64 games is that the battery based save games are all long dead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

I was talking about No More Heroes regarding intentional mundanity, tedium, and repetition, not Dark Souls.

I really dont know what to expect from No More Heroes 3 because 2 already did the "were creatively bankrupt" schtick.

Oh, you responded to my post about being bored by Dark Souls and I felt for a minute I wasn’t the only one that found those incredibly dull.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Nah you arent the only one, just games forums like this probably wont have tons of those folks. Most of the folks I game with find them both slow and reveling in repetition so they get no enjoyment from the victories. I must have loaned out my copy of DS1 to like 5 or so people all who returned it to me with at best the first bell rung.

One of my oldest friends keeps trying to sell me on Souls games and CKII, so at least it’s not just online?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

THE loving MOON posted:

Dark Souls is great even without the online component, although it does enhance the experience. I only ever summoned help once in my DS1 run for O&S, but I had some good pvp fights here and there along the way.

That has very little to do with my point that it’s not just extremely online people evangelizing about how good DS is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What kind of climate do you live in? How are your games stored?

My NES and SNES games all hold saves fine on their original batteries, but I've also known people that have had their games quit saving within a couple of years of purchase and I've never figured out why. It can't just be luck of the draw because ZERO of my NES games have needed battery replacements.

I have them in an indoor storage unit. I haven’t booted them up in ages but I just assumed after 20 years the batteries would be shot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Argue posted:

FWIW it has more in common with chess, or a puzzle game, than the usual isometric strategy games. The gimmick is that you know exactly what the enemy is doing the next round, and you have to spend your turn basically preventing those attacks from succeeding. Maybe some players will try to stay two steps ahead of the enemies but for the most part it's about cleverly positioning your units to mitigate damage from the monsters in single turns.

Yeah, there is almost no RNG at all (there’s a small chance for buildings to ignore damage, but it’s small enough that it’s more a nice bonus when it happens) so you know exactly how your turn is going to go. It’s a lot of fun and very much a low-frustration game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The eshop has stopped accepting my debit card for some reason. Is there some kind of transaction limit or something? The card works fine for other stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rotaryfun posted:

I don't know if this is a thing for you or not, but my Credit Union has blocked all transactions to "Game sites" due to an overwhelming amount of fraud linked to them (their words). Might be worth a call to find out if that's the case?

I just use paypal or another one of my accounts.

Yeah, I should probably just do PayPal. I was worried that my bank locked my card for suspected fraud at first because I’ve made so many eshop transactions that it probably looks like suspicious activity.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The top the the stick on my left joycon bent while I was taking my switch out of its case. I miss when nintendo consoles were indestructible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Imagined posted:

Haven't analog sticks always been Nintendo's Achilles heel? The N64 one ground itself to powder. The GameCube one was defective in some way SSBM players actually liked...

God, yeah; the N64 analog stick was the worst. I don’t have any controllers left with functioning sticks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The shoulder buttons on my GBA SP were loose as hell from the day I got the drat thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

I think a lot of it just has to do with use. All of my old consoles and controllers (minus the N64 controllers that got the Mario Party treatment) are still in perfect shape, but I've always handled them pretty nicely. It's not like they fall apart on their own.

The N64 stick will inevitably break down regardless of how you handle it, nintendo designed it in the dumbest way possible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

West of Loathing.

West of Loathing is one of my favorite Switch purchases and I love it to bits. The writing in it is up there with the best of KoL and it pulls off its surreal and heavy-on-the-references humor without being random or relying on “lol, remember this thing” just like KoL did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

But that somehow counts as a challenge today.

My dude have you ever tried to beat Donkey King 64? Beating the original DK in one life was insane.