Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kvlt! posted:

I think that's more true with regards to the latter movie you mentioned. I mean it is tragic what Jacob went through in Vietnam, but at the end you get the feeling he is genuinely going to heaven or at least a happy "hereafter" with his son, whereas in Pam's Labyrinth there's always that question (to me at least) of whether the fantasy parts are real or whether they are just a little girl's way of coping with massive trauma They're both bittersweet and feature themes of tragedy and redemption, and both excellent movies.

This was from a while ago but because this is one of my pet peeves movie wise...

(Pan's Labyrinth spoilers, obviously.)

There is zero ambiguity in Pan's Labyrinth about whether magic is real. It explicitly is. Ophelia escapes from a locked, guarded room by drawing a door in chalk and walking through it. There was no other way out.

e: I've heard people complain about this once they spot it, but honestly, screw them, it's a fairy tale and it has a fairy tale ending. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spring is such an obvious fantasy, but it's an obvious fantasy that speaks to me quite a bit so I really enjoyed it. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

Occult is IMO as good as Noroii, but is more blackly comic and less of a straight horror movie. His others are varying levels of decent to good but not up to the same level

Occult is better than Noroi, specifically because it has the deadpan sense of humor to match the way he portrays the supernatural

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hellraiser is a good movie but it's not good for the reasons that people typically associate with the name "Hellraiser", and it's disappointingly watered down from the novella in some ways.

Like it's more about Julia deliberately self-destructing because she's bored and constrained by her marriage and Kirsty getting caught up in her murder-drama than it is about Frank or Hell or the Cenobites.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

I'm fine with it because Hellraiser 2 sets up the fact that Julia is the REAL villain of the movies

And then they gently caress up real bad

Yeah, sorry, I kind of worded that poorly: I think both versions of the story are really Julia / Kirsty-centric, my ambivalence towards the film has nothing to do with that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fart City posted:

It definitely feels like a movie that only really works if you are exposed to it between the ages of 15-17.

as someone in undergrad when it came out, i loving wish it stopped having any appeal to people at 17

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also Cabin in the Woods is basically a baby boomer complaining about millennials and their avocado toast, but for horror

it sucks, and sucks in particular because of how thoroughly the film's actual execution undermines its own nominal message

e: the one thing it got right was casting Sigourney Weaver as the ultimate (and most sincere) representative of "what if we just kept doing what we've been doing?" because she's symbolically standing in for the Alien series in that scene, which is genuinely clever in light of the fact that Resurrection also sucks

but somehow I doubt that aspect of it was intentional :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 17, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

what am i looking at

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ThePagey posted:

This actually makes me wonder what film you would intentionally show a bunch of 10 year olds with the intent of loving them up as much as possible.

Disney's Robin Hood

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

And then it came out that she was an actress without a drop of native blood. Brando was said to have been furious that he got conned.

... that doesn't seem to be right? Unless wikipedia is straight-up lying to me.

My understanding is that her father was Apache, and although she was raised Catholic by her white grandparents on her mother's side, she still faced racial discrimination on the basis of her Indian heritage and was engaged in activism on behalf of native Americans before and after the Oscar speech. But that just suggests "complicated upbringing due to mixed heritage" not "she's a fraud."

Here's an article that goes into a bit more depth:

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/archive/a-recent-tv-slur-revives-debate-about-sacheen-littlefeather-f_wup4setkiFuOU5vPPisw/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hereditary's weird in that I respect the tremendous amount of research and authenticity that it poured into the occult stuff, but I also don't give a single poo poo about occult traditions and think the overt supernaturalism lessened the film.

It's this weird middle ground between "they were trying to make a movie that is clearly not for me, and that's fine" and on the other hand "there's like 2/3s of a movie I would have loved in here and then it completely undercuts itself in the third act, and that's awful!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Also I haven't seen the Universal Mummy in like 20 years so... grain of salt.

I like it a lot but as someone here said last time it came up, it's a Gothic romance, not really a horror movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Carpenter's extremely good but he's not exactly "safe." Like, one of the man's best films is about a heroic domestic terrorist fighting against capitalism.

Also a few of his otherwise great films also have some bafflingly terrible performances in them. Not everything he made is necessarily shoestring budget, but a lot of it feels that way because there's always one or two elements of the production that look or sound like crap, often in the same movie as e.g. amazing practical effects.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Those are all fine rationalizations, but keep in mind Carpenter's movies cost less to make than half of a John Carter or Bloated 80s Remake or Failed YA Series First Book Adaptation or whatever. There's no such thing as a safe bet.

Sure, but we're talking about something determined by perceptions in the first place.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe it's my secular upbringing making it so I fundamentally just don't get the threat being implied, but the mother/daughter parts of The Exorcist are the only part of the movie that land for me at all.

Like her frustration and terror of not knowing what's wrong, her inability to rely on anyone for meaningful help, and so on is all incredibly affecting, but then the mom disappears from the script, Regan as a character basically sinks out of view and is entirely replaced by the demon, and you're just left with a chained-up child ostensibly menacing two adult male authority figures, and Catholic priests no less.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 7, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I appreciate you taking the time to lay it out like that, and I'll check out the book when I get a chance.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pomp posted:

That movie was gonna be Garbo the second it wasn't practical effects

This is a stupid hill to die on period and it's a really stupid hill to die on re: an adaptation of a story full of snake-spine cyborgs and brains and eyeballs flying out of their sockets and poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 8, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pomp posted:

Anyone can make a mediocre movie with 200 million and computers, it'll be forgotten within the year like Avatar was

Practical effects aren't going to make a mediocre movie any better. Like it's completely perpendicular to the issue.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dracula's scary because he's more appealing to your gf than your pasty British real estate broker rear end

the blood-drinking, transforming into beasts, strength of 20 men stuff is all secondary

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Just want to reiterate that this show absolutely rules. It looks great, has cool characters and it's really well written too as a total evisceration of the economic distance between classes and how much people exploit that. Zombie stuff as social commentary isn't a new thing but the way the show plays with and makes noticeable the differing scopes of the various towns and palaces and cities folks travel to and weaves that into its themes about social decay and such is really cool. But even without any of that it's just cool as hell and wicked funny at times too.

Thirding this, Kingdom owns. Looking forward to the next season, whenever that happens.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Excorcist 3 is fantastic. Like its the proper sequel to the original Exorcist and its one of my favorite horror movies.

All of the Psycho movies are pretty good actually.

American Psycho II isn't. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Barker's novels were never as good as his short stories, and he was already getting into "more stinkers than not" territory by the late 90s. Galilee is awful, Coldheart Canyon reads like a weaker rehash of Imajica / Weaveworld, Abarat is passable YA but "passable" is pretty disappointing coming from the guy who wrote The Thief of Always. Mister B. Gone was completely aimless. I haven't read all of his newer work but the overall trend is not good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

kinda inappropriate considering we are talking about irreversible but to change direction i'm going thru a bad breakup and what are the best romantic horror movies i can cry to

Spring was literally made for your situation

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I got Luc Besson. I guess I'll get away by shoving him to the monster at a critical moment.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

What the gently caress is "covered nudity"? If you're covered you're not nude!

have you seen Robert Zemeckis's Beowulf

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's interesting to me how in many creative industries there seems to be a complex relationship between sophistication (and amount of funding) and quality that is proportionate at first, then falls dramatically and eventually levels off once you pass a certain point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

david_a posted:

Serious question; are there actually horror elements to Legend of the Galactic Heroes? It’s been on my radar for a while but the length kind of put me off.

not really

like there's a creepy space cult subplot but they're more "political terrorists who use brainwashing" than "space cthulhu worshipers"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

from context it seems pretty clear the problem is animal death?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Evil Dead 2 > Ash vs. Evil Dead > Evil Dead > Army of Darkness

haven't seen 2013

The original Evil Dead is wildly overrated. It's an ugly, spiteful little film and only remarkable as a technical achievement. People pick out the tree rape in particular as being in bad taste and they're not wrong, but it's less that the movie just made that one misstep, and more that the same attitude permeates the entire film and that's just the most obvious manifestation of it.

(This is also why Army of Darkness is worse. It's not gorier or more explicit -- and that was never the problem -- but it's unpleasant in exactly the same ways.)

And while yeah, it's impressive and inspiring that a couple of friends filming in their backyard made something that looks that professional, treating that effort as a proxy for its actual quality as a film is a mistake. It's the cinematic equivalent of being impressed by how many notes some guitarist squeezed into a solo without consideration of what it sounds like.

Evil Dead 2 is roughly the same idea with better execution and much better humor, and probably the only Raimi movie I'd rank as one of the all-time horror classics.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not called Nice Alive lmao

just because i like horror doesn't mean i have to like sneering misanthropy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pomp posted:

Speaking of which, is the movie worth watching? I only discovered there was one looking up a TMBG song on youtube

It's about the best adaptation you could hope for, it stops right at the point where a movie with its budget couldn't possibly keep up with the cosmic-level weird poo poo going down.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I presented this idea before, but I'm going to go for it again. Horror stops being horror when there is an about equally positive or good force that opposes the villain. A story where the Joker is the only fantastic element is horror, but adding Batman makes it a superhero story.

Godzilla (1954) is a horror movie. Mothra is a horror movie. Mothra vs. Godzilla isn't because there are clear good guy monsters.

I think the American Godzilla reboot is interesting though because it casts Godzilla as the good guy, but in a way that is existentially terrifying.

by this standard Nightbreed isn't horror

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

makes sense, i'm in the "star wars is science fiction" camp too

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i maintain that most romantic comedies could be turned into horror films with the addition of, like, a single scene at the end and a few tweaks to the score

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In The Long Kiss Goodnight they ostensibly drive through my hometown, but to be fair it could have been shot literally anywhere in the northeast and you'd never know the difference.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Hereditary is good and probably one of the better horror films in the last few years , but it has some serious issues in the middle of the film and the ending is loving hilarious.

The middle of Hereditary is the brilliant part, though. Then the third act is where it all falls apart and loses any possible claim to "best horror of 2018" in a world where Mandy exists.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I loved Hereditary, but it's not even in my top 10 of 2018.

If we're talking specifically horror films, then it's #4 from 2018.

I do need to give it a rewatch sometime.

What are your top three?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm pretty sure i've seen at least one horror movie that made me say "oh gently caress you" when they were over, which i think is a mark of a worse movie than just "oh i saw the zippers"

i can't actually remember any off the top of my head though v:shobon:v

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

oh wait no, i lied

The Re-Cycle is a Chinese horror/fantasy film about a woman who goes on a dream-journey to meet her aborted fetus and the whole thing is one long psychedelic guilt trip on her for not choosing motherhood

that's the worst horror film i've ever seen (even if it's blurring genre lines a bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gejimayu posted:

Anyone here a fan of horror anime? I've seen and loved Shiki, Another, and Mirai Nikki. I get annoyed when anime starts off horror and then just gets super shonen. Attack on Titan felt that way as well as some others. I know most Goons have a vitriolic relationship with anime, but for the same reason, I'd trust you homies with opinions over ADTRW. Also, not horror, but you all should see Puella Magi Madoka Magicka if you haven't. A magical princess anime that gets into some great light cosmic horror in a relatively quick story (13 episodes at 20 mins a pop I think) that plays with anime tropes and is brilliant in my opinion if youre willing to give it a chance. Made by Gen Urobuchi, a dude that apparently likes psychological horror and puppets. Good poo poo.

horror anime basically falls into three categories

1. weird artsy poo poo
2. horrible things happen to vulnerable, cute characters so you feel bad for them
3. the anime equivalent of Blade and/or Hellboy

with that in mind, the good poo poo:

Mononoke: a wandering medicine seller solves ghost problems on the side. it's a spin-off of the okay but less stylistically interesting Ayakashi

The Hundred Stories (aka Requiem From the Darkness): struggling author in Edo Japan gets mixed up with a group of monsters who hunt other monsters despite their repeated warnings that he shouldn't mess with the supernatural

Kemonozume: the young heir to a secret society of people who kill flesh-eating shapeshifters falls in love with a flesh-eating shapeshifter. one of my all-time favorites. directed by Masaaki Yuasa

content warning: dick trauma, although it happens offscreen and it's actually a drug-induced fake-out. this is my answer to "what are some of your favorite castration scenes?" :v:

Devilman Crybaby: Lucifer comes back to Earth and starts sticking demons in people's bodies so he can kickstart the apocalypse; the protagonist gets stuck with a demon but somehow manages to retain self-control. a really good, transformative adaptation of an extremely influential horror manga. also directed by Masaaki Yuasa

content warning: this one is incredibly violent and sexually explicit. there's always a good reason for it, but it has basically zero boundaries.

Perfect Blue: first movie on this list. successful idol tries to break into show business, but between the pressure of the job and a possibly-supernatural stalker she starts having a mental breakdown.

content warning: sexual violence, mental illness. genuinely frightening and upsetting in a way anime horror usually isn't. there's a scene where a film director pressures the protagonist into filming a simulated rape scene, and she starts perceiving it as real halfway through. Black Swan or Mulholland Drive are good points of comparison. directed by Satoshi Kon

Paranoia Agent: an apparition of a young boy armed with a crooked baseball bat goes around killing people, who have some subtle connection to each other; a detective tries to figure it out, and it might have something to do with an overworked character designer for a media company. hard to explain without spoilers. also directed by Satoshi Kon.

content warning: the ending read to me as kind of misogynistic, but it's a very abstract show and other people have interpreted it differently, and I might not even see it the same way if I watched it again

Parasyte: a race of alien parasites fall to earth in a rain and take over people's brains. protagonist gets a weak one that is only able to take over his hand, and so they're stuck with each other and have to cooperate. pretty heavy green / ecological themes, and the hand parasite is voiced by a VA famous for doing cute girl characters which is hilarious if you've seen any of the other shows she stars in

the following are kind of trashy, tits & gore horror, but they're also incredibly influential to the genre and worth checking out if you're curious what everything else is imitating or reacting to:

the original Devilman: I haven't actually seen this in its entirety, but basically every horror anime and manga ever made owes something to Go Nagai, so it'd be worse if I left it out

Ninja Scroll: patient zero for the formula/subgenre that Mirai Nikki belongs to, so if you liked that, give this a watch

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 9, 2019