Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

GLOW turned into a drama with occasional humorous bits in the third season; I’m not all that sad about missing out on S4.

Agreed, season 2 was so good :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

snoot posted:

The Boys is great but the violence in it is so juvenile and unnecessary, it's like they asked a bunch of 14 year old boys what they'd want to see a supervillain do. Also Butcher and the C word - he said 'oval office' in every sentence during one long scene

I mean, he is Australian

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

As someone who is still mentally 14 I enjoy all of the gore and cussing in The Boys.

:same:

Season 2 starts out kinda naff but by the mid point it's excellent

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I swear Butcher was supposed to be Australian in the show

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I mean Hill house was only like 5% spooky stuff if that, it was mostly emotional drama

Edit: in a good way

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I live in Ireland and I'm female and it's pretty weird to me how the word is considered in America tbh. Everyone says it

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sloth Life posted:

I'm English and female, if someone called me that I'd be really loving upset. Its a horrible word.

For sure but I thought we were talking about how boys often call each other that word, not how boys call women that word? Of course it's bad to call a woman that

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I prefer the British Utopia as well

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Outcry is a really entertaining and infuriating true crime series on Showtime. Go in blind like I did so that things actually surprise you

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Away was high budget mom thriller fiction

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah I used to enjoy movies like that, but for Death of Stalin I wasn't in the mood for multiple casual rape mentions in the first half and never went back to it.

Black comedy in general is something I've lost the taste for when I loved it a decade ago.

Real world atrocities only stop being scary when we can laugh about them

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Trial of the Chicago 7 is extremely legit, even if you don't normally like Sorkin. Sacha Baron Cohen makes a great Abbie Hoffman.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh my God Borat 2 is amazing so far

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It’s really faithful to the original

And if you think the original is just worn out jokes haha have you met my daughter

It still works though it’s just yep you can still find white trash in America

We’re trash and need reminds

It's not just white trash. At the rich debutante ball he asks the old Asian guy "how much is my daughter worth" and the guy whispers "500" and the Asian guy's daughter just gives this look and says something like "you're loving disgusting" and it's the most amazing, honest thing

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Queen's Gambit on Netflix is great.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It feels so "loosely inspired" sometimes and he takes such creative license (on an event he clearly wasnt very informed in) that it seems to solely exist for the purpose of sorkin writing liberal fanfiction

But it's extremely entertaining

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Starks posted:

They turned everyone into a liberal lol, even the prosecutor and the judge who was an even bigger piece of poo poo irl.

Uhhhhh no they showed very clearly that the judge was a literally insane, incompetent, racist piece of poo poo

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

What's the ratio of fun to drama in Queen's Gambit?

50/50. It's also gorgeous looking.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Cats is on HBO now and also it's in the kids section. I'm pretty sure that counts as child abuse

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

i just read a take of Sorkin as a great storyteller/artist who is absolutely infected with morals and values. Its the reason why all his characters are smart white men that list going into Harvard within their first sentence of dialogue. Sorkin is a terrible man whose awfulness in real life is well documented.

But he is very entertaining.

Dont know why that is more awful than a Michael Bay, another well documented awful person that is fabulous in entertaining...

The hypocrisy? The preening? People I should respect valuing him so highly? Sorkin needing to impose his privileged douchebaggery as an answer to the world's ills?

It is weird, isn't it? I think that Trial of the Chicago 7 is a better film than Pain and Gain (barely) but I would say that Pain and Gain is more "honest". At the same time, I think Bay is probably (barely) more of an rear end in a top hat. I lowkey hate Sorkin but I dunno, I liked Trial. Maybe liberal fanfiction was what I needed lol.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I'm half way through the Third Day on HBO and this poo poo is pretty bonkers. I'm really digging it.

It's fuckin great!!!!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

sexpig by night posted:

it's such a loving terrible movie and it has a twist ending that is so loving stupid I can't believe it happened. Spoilers, I guess out of pure manners, if you want to watch the bad politics movie:

The whole town is running a grift, it's a small midwestern town the guy comes from and it's an entirely fabricated moment and everyone, including his opponent and his staff, is grifting the parties to get money. It's set as some smuggo 'you coastal elites think we're dumb rubes, but we're actually smart liars' thing but it does forget that the parties don't just dump money into a city in the literal sense, but rather like...pay consultants, often from out of state, and poo poo??? So I don't know how Jim Bob the guy who runs the diner actually got a poo poo ton of money because the Democrats set up a big operation there. To be clear it's portrayed as like, a town saving level grift, everyone is somehow profiting off this. It's fittingly the kind of ending only someone who doesn't actually understand how the political campaign process works could write, which fits the whole vibe of the movie as a whole.

This sounds like a plot that mel Brooks threw away as being "patently absurd"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Cithen posted:

The Third Day is pretty good. It's strange though, I wouldn't have known this series existed if it weren't for this thread. There is no advertising for it and it doesn't even get represented in the HBOMax app very well.

HBO advertised it heavily a few months ago, but yeah it's been oddly low key. I didn't even know Jude Law was is in it until I watched it

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I wasn't totally feeling the first 4 episodes of The Boys S2 but holy poo poo everything from episode 5 onwards is amaaaaaaazing

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm not the biggest Stone fan but Snowden is pretty good, it's on Netflix now. JGL and Nic Cage are really fun in it

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Slashrat posted:

I had difficulties placing her as well until I found out she was the main character of Split and voiced one of the main characters in The Dark Crystal series. Hopefully (almost definitely) she will turn up in more quality-stuff from here.

She was also in Thoroughbreds

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Deadite posted:

And New Mutants, which everyone loved and is surely the start of the next big franchise

I liked it :(

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

teagone posted:

Yeah, Anya Taylor-Joy is great in Emma. She's also going to be Furiosa in George Miller's upcoming Fury Road prequel. I haven't seen New Mutants, but looks like its digital release is in a couple weeks. Movie is prolly trash, but she looks great as Magik.

New Mutants is actually really good trashy fun and surprisingly faithful to the darker tone the comic had in its first 30 or so issues

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Mother, the new Japanese Netflix film, not related to Mother, the Korean horror film, or mother!, the Aronofsky film, is really great. I don't know what to compare it to other than maybe The Florida Project.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh God those evening at the improvs. That used to play after SNL and there's a certain weird time capsule charm to them

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Famethrowa posted:

Jim Gaffigan is absolutely dire.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Finally finished off Bly Manor. While I certainly understand why some prefer Hill House, I thought they were roughly equal. I think Bly has a stronger start and Hill House had the stronger ending though.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Orlando Jones was improving and elevating the material, even ad libbing most of his lines

He was being "problematic"... lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

Anyone given Truth Seekers a try? New Nick Frost and Simon Pegg thing on Amazon Prime Video where Frost leads a team of goofy Youtube ghost hunters who stumble onto some real paranormal conspiracy poo poo. At least I think that's the idea.

Surprised no one's talkin about it! Probably gonna give it a shot tonight.

It's good but it's insanely slow, it doesn't really get going until like episode 4

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
New season of the Crown is out and Gillian andersson is as awesome as you'd hope as Thatcher

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

Truth Seekers is a weird show. It's a comedy horror, but it leans a lot further towards the creepy horror side of things than you'd expect while still carrying itself like a comedy. It makes for a very odd feeling show, but I'm still really enjoying it.

My only issue is that it feels like the scripts needed just one more pass through a writer's room. Had a weird half baked feeling.

Malcolm McDowell was great though

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I have it on good authority that Crow T. Robot votes lolbertarian

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

JaneError posted:

I saw it described as GA playing her like a serial killer and I feel like that's accurate (we're through episode 6).

Yeah it doesn't make Thatcher look good and I don't know how anyone could say it does lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Don't worry, even she can't make Thatcher sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Get Duked on prime is really good

Definitely