Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm glad it wasn't just us being dicks. That cast has earned A LOT of good will, but it was appallingly bad -- the middle-aged lady equivalent of those worthless Adam Sandler movies that are an excuse for him to drag his old pals on a paid vacation somewhere.

At some points, we wondered if there was even a script, or if they were just improvising and going with the first take of everything.

Wife and I in our 40's? Check. Did we grow up in the 80's? Check. Fans of Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, Jason Schwartzman, and others in this movie? Check. Fan of wine? Hell yes. So I thought it would be the perfect movie for Mother's Day. Well it is by far the worst movie we have watched in 2019 (I can't think of anything worse I watched in 2018 either). I had the same thought about the script. It seemed like all the dialogue was improvised. I will not speak of the stupid 'dancing' bit they kept doing which was never funny in the first place. I truly hate this movie.

Only positive I will say about it is Paula Pell has some really great skin for a 56 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Franchescanado posted:

The Man Who Knew Too Little is a funny, breezy comedy. Plenty of fun Bill Murray slapstick without him being a man-child jerk, and the film keeps escalating the stakes even until the final credits.

I haven't watched it in 10+ years, but I remember me and my wife laughing our asses off. It was critically panned (Ebert gave it one star), but comedy movies are the one type of movie that critics get wrong more than others. I might have to give this a re-watch.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After putting it off for awhile I finally watched season 2 of Ozark. Overall I really enjoyed it, but I do have some minor issues with the show. At times it can feel like one of those MASH episodes. You know the ones where Hawkeye does a favor for someone so he can do a favor for someone else which he is doing because he is doing a favor for some other person (it can be like 5 or 6 favors deep). Instead in Ozark, Marty needs to rob Peter to pay Paul because he needs to rob Bob to pay John and so on and so on (that said I liked where the story ended up). By far the worst part of season 2 was the daughter's story-line. Just eye rolling bad. It is a shame, because they handle the son really well. Maybe they will do better with her in season 3. I know they film the show in Georgia (it is currently in production), and Netflix is threatening to boycott the state. I wonder if that might end up causing a delay.

Oh at first I didn't like Julia Garner when I saw her in The Americans (mostly because I didn't like that whole arc), but I love her in Ozark. I read she is the lead in a movie about Harvey Weinstein (she is his assistant and the movie follows her over the course of one day). It wouldn't surprise me if sooner or later she ends up being a household name or at least an 'indie darling' (like Maggie Gyllenhaal or Catherine Keener). The acting overall is great in the series, and I will miss the characters of Jacob and Buddy.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lycus posted:

Watched the first several episodes of Jessica Jones, man, the JJ people really can't make interesting villains after Kilgrave.

Honestly JJ season 1 wasn't that good. Yes Kilgrave was interesting, but him and his powers were wasted by the writers. Also those 13 episodes were the longest 13 episodes I ever watched in my life. I did for a second think about watching season 2 (maybe they corrected what I didn't like about season 1), but when I saw it was again 13 episodes I was like no thank you.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

regulargonzalez posted:

Huh, couldn't disagree more. JJ S1 might be my favorite Marvel show or movie outside of Legion. It was fantastic to see a feminist take on the formulaic, male dominated, testosterone-fueled comic book genre. The fate of the universe wasn't on the line, just a baddie who was essentially a stand in for the Boogeyman so many women have dealt with. A series that focused on the aftermath of abuse and the struggle to find yourself afterwards was way more than I ever expected from Marvel.

I consider it in the same way as Westworld when it comes to its follow up seasons; for both shows S1 executed its sorry so well and accomplished the full portrayal of what the show was actually about that any subsequent seasons can't help but disappoint.

For the reasons you stated and positive reviews by critics I was super excited to watch it. I hate how every comic book movie has to put (as you say) 'the universe on the line' as it's plot, and I thought at times the show did a good job when it dealt with deeper issues like control and abuse. That said it ran over the same ground one too many times for me, and it became boring. It suffered from lets make a movie into a 13 episode series. Still I thought there was some good parts in there. All they had to do was lower it to 8 episodes or try to do some episodes that were more standalone. Why couldn't have seen JJ spend an episode that had nothing to do with the main plot? Some of best the serialized shows do it all the time.

That said I don't like marvel shows outside of Legion. Also I thought season 1 of Westworld was the most overrated show I watched since...well season 1 of JJ. So I guess not my cup of tea in the end.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sure. Boots Riley's complaints here are pretty much what I'm referring to:

https://www.blackagendareport.com/spike-lees-film-makes-cop-spied-blacks-hero

In all fairness Boots’ movie was badly written too. Shame because it started strong, but end up an amateurish mess in the end.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
ST season 1 had it’s problems, but season 1 was really fun to watch. Season 2 not so much for me, but I found season 3 just as fun to watch as season 1. Also just as important once I was ready for it be over it was over. It really did a nice job of pacing, and limiting itself to 8 episodes (too bad Jessica Jones never learn this lesson). Still in the end it committed Speinwall’s chief complaint about most Netflix shows, it was an 8 hour movie instead of an actual TV series.

Frog Act posted:

Also the seasons setting being principally in a mall was maybe the most cynically contrived thing I’ve ever seen, because it allowed them to work seven or eight contemporary brand names into almost every shot, and they even had two whole 30+ second scenes about Coca Cola, which grossed me out some, as I can tolerate add placement, but not that much of it

I guess I didn’t let the add placements bother me (I can only think of Gap and Coke off the top of my head), since they were suppose to be at a mall. Just to be sure that ice cream place is not a real place is it (please let it be)? You make it sound like the reason they used a mall location was to do product/add placements. No they used a mall location because that is where teenagers worked and hung out (I can confirm I spent a lot of my free time from 86-89 hanging around the mall), and you can’t have a mall without stores. The Russians? They are playing up the Cold War paranoia that was still a part of growing up in the 80’s, and that was ever present in the media at the time. I was fine they kept the Russian stuff generic (let’s do it before the evil USA gets the power first and uses it against the motherland was pretty much applied) like a typical 80’s action movie.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rad Valtar posted:

Disney+ ESPN+ and Hulu bundle for $13 pretty much guarantees I'm cancelling every other service come November.

Can someone please tell if ESPN+ is worth even getting? Has anyone used the service? From what I can tell none of the games that are on regular ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc.) will be on ESPN+. That makes the whole service sound useless.

Hirsute posted:

The Beach Bum is on Hulu and it's great!

I am normally down for anything Harmony Korine does (I think Spring Breakers is a misunderstood work of art), but I found myself bored with The Beach Bum. We were so bored, that when we had to stop watching it (about 80% of the way thru) due to someone coming over, no one had a desire to finish it. Shame because when I saw the trailer it looked 100% my jam.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bred posted:

New Terrace House in Tokyo on Netflix.

Not digging the new song at all, they need to go back to ‘Slow Down’. Also I never realize how much I missed Terrace House until I see the hosts. They are the reason I keep coming back.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Maybe if you said, people who don’t like big sprawling books stay away from it instead of telling everyone stay away from it? I understand some people just don’t like books that are more than 500 pages. That said I was fine with the length, and Simmons kept me engaged. Funny I read the book when it originally came out in hardback, but I still have yet to watch the series. I plan to correct that before Halloween.

Also Dan Simmons has some really great books before Obama and Muslims broke him. His Summer of Night goes toe to toe with King’s IT, and the Hyperion’s series is amazing (although it finishes weaker than it started).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mystes posted:

There may not be any "untouchable" if people who have been content to stay on Netflix start hopping between services each month.

For me at least, someone who doesn't care about watching old shows that much, it comes down to original programming. It seems like every month there is at least one or two new things on Netflix I need to binge (honestly Netflix has the largest quantity of both good and bad shows right now). So as long as Netflix keeps that up I will continue subscribing monthly. The question is can that continue that into the future? Netflix also would be smart to try some lock in pricing like they did many years ago.

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1174061375825432576

I think the network streaming services like CBS and Peacock are gonna fold first.

Outside of the Ronald Moore show, AppleTV+ looks unappealing. Still Apple did a smart thing by including a year free with new iPhones. Their first year numbers are going to be super inflated even if no one is watching. Still I just don't see how Apple can keep people subscribed to a streaming service with just their originals. Yes Netflix could do it, but they had a 6 year head-start (going by House of Cards release date). Maybe they are hoping people will just forget they are subscribed and they don't pay enough attention to their credit card statement to see that $5 monthly charge.

HBO Max is a curious one. Given how much just HBO cost now, adding Warner (which includes DC stuff) and Cinemax for same price seems like a good deal. Also they have come out guns a blazing with getting Friends and BBT (which I think both are pure trash, but the public disagrees). So I will be switching my HBO Now sub to HBO Max once released for sure.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 19, 2019

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheManWithNoName posted:

Apple is giving a free year to everyone who buys not just iPhones, but Macs, iPads, AppleTV, etc. I don’t know how many millions of devices Apple sells every year, but if just a fraction of them keep their subscription it will be a pretty large paying user base.

Also, next year I bet they come out with some sort of package deal for Apple Music, Arcade, News and TV.

That is a good point. I really enjoyed Apple News for a few months (it is a great edition for anyone with an iPad), but given how often I used it I found the $9.99 price point slightly high for me. I do subscribe to Apple Music family plan at $15 a month. So if they did like $25-$30 for Music, Arcade, News, and TV+ I would be into. Actually please do this Apple.

Also just found out you can't stack the free years (was curious since I have 2 iPhones coming tomorrow). It is only once per lifetime of single or family account.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I couldn’t finish season 2 for either The Handmaid's Tale or Future Man. Honestly season 2 of Future Man was such a let down. That said I would still recommend season 1, because it was the funniest thing I’ve watched on TV in a long time.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have been a so-so fan of Sturgill Simpson (I like many of his songs and seen him live, but I still don't think he has made a great album) ever since I heard 'Turtles All the Way Down', so I had to check out Sound & Fury. I only watched the first half hour (due to time constraints), and everything I've seen so far visually is a feast for the eyes. That said everything I've see so far is pretty cliche (how many tropes can they fit in). If I was 16 I would think this is the greatest thing ever, but my adult self not so much. I will go back and finish it just for the visuals (music so far so good). Like a lot of things Sturgill Simpson, I appericate what he is trying to do more than the outcome.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just saw Insatiable season 2 is out. I hope it is off the wall as season 1.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Honest Thief posted:

Wounds on netflix is alright, but a disappointment after the director's debut movie. There's a lot of handwaving to toxic masculinity and what not but it barely does more than just showing Arnie Hammer being an rear end in a top hat, so it's just there, aimless and gory.
The horror imagery is pretty memorable though.

I think it is Hulu only in the states. I have read the short stories collection it is based on and the whole collection is amazing. Shame that the reception to the movie has been lukewarm. I might give it a watch this week.

I plan to check out Hereditary on Prime first. I watched (rented) the director’s new movie Midsommar and was blown away. It seems the movie is hit and miss with people, but it might be my favorite horror movie since It Follows. Curious to see if Hereditary is just as good (it seems they cover some of the same things).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 21, 2019

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Speaking of horror I did finally watch Gasper Noe's Climax last week on Prime. I went in to it thinking that it was a movie where the drugs lead to insane dancing and some drama between the dancers (you know maybe Gasper chilled out some). Nope once the drugs kicked in I was led on a handheld horror show. That said I really liked it, despite not being a big fan of his other movies. The opening dance sequence is amazing (I had to watch it twice). Also the cinematography is great, but it does feel like at times it is filmed by a talented director trying to show off all the cool things he learn in film school (much like PTA in Boogie Nights). That said I didn't mind cause I am a sucker for stuff like that. It is a tough movie recommend which is true of all of Noe's movies. I will say my wife actually liked it, and I bet this would be the only one of his movies she will ever say that about.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mary had a little clam posted:

I have Shudder though Amazon. Does anyone know if I'll get to participate in the Joe Bob Special tonight at 9pm EST or is that exclusive to Shudder qua Shudda

Can’t you just log into the Shudder app?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Past Tense Ragu posted:

You're just completely not understanding his point at all. He's saying the way the battle is presented is plagiarized from Game of Thrones. Like when Lord of the Rings came out and every battle scene after it for years looked just like its battle scenes. Not just in content but in form.

This. Everyone I know that has seen the trailer is like, hey they are filming that battle like the Battle of the Bastards.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

pospysyl posted:

The King's portrayal of the battle of Agincourt was based off of the original archival photos, so you're really showing your ignorance here.

Jesus you had me for a moment (I read photos as paintings at first).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mike12345 posted:

Does "On Becoming a God in Central Florida" get any better later on? I watched the first two episodes and was like, yeah, the acting is good from everyone involved (apart from Skarsgard, he seems miscast), but otherwise, eh.

I didn’t watch past the first episode. I do agree acting is great, but something about the show just seemed off. It kind of felt like the show was trying too hard. I have been thinking about giving it a spin again.

The biggest shock I had with the show is finding out a few weeks ago the character Bets was played by Beth Ditto (I didn’t recognize her). In the 2000’s I considered Beth to be the best front woman of any band out. Her band, Gossip, were great until Rick Rubin of all people started producing their albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74FHIBtWvi0

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 18, 2019

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Inspector Hound posted:

I see it eating everything and finally stepping over Netflix's corpse to do battle or rule the world with prime, I think it's here to stay.

It’s here to stay, but it is no Netflix killer. The fact no R rated shows or movies on Disney+ hurts it with its competition with Netflix. It is a more niche service in comparison to Netflix, which now has so much variety it is almost a replacement to cable.

That said I am also canceling Disney+ year end. It is the type of service (like Showtime or Starz) that I only need to subscribe to a few months a year.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 19, 2019

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I did enjoy when King released the Green Mile novel as a serial back in the 90’s, and I don’t mind the occasional show that is released weekly. Honestly I am actually glad both Watchmen and Mr. Robot are released weekly. That said, for example, Mandalorian seems to be the type of show that is more of one long movie that is meant to be binged. While I enjoyed the first episode and would have kept watching if the episodes were available, I haven’t made any effort to go back to it. For me to watch weekly it has to be appointment TV, and while it is good, it is not that good (I will go back when all episodes are released).

After giving it a fair spin, Disney+ is truly something I only need one month a year at this time. The only thing I’ve used it so far was to catch-up on some Marvel movies, watch the Star Wars prequels for the first time since they came out, and Mandalorian. I figured this would be the case for me (kids are grown and I find the MCU stuff just ok).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just saw another John Hawkes movie on Netflix called Too Late. It came out in 2015, but it really feels like one of those post-Pulp Fiction quirky crime dramedies from the '90s -- movies like Two Days in the Valley and Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead. It has a real '70s feel and style to it, despite being set in modern times. More than anything else, I got a strong Elmore Leonard vibe, maybe because it was about a tough detective, idiot criminals, sexy women, and a killer. On top of that, it starred Hawkes (who was in Life of Crime, based on Leonard's novel The Switch, an earlier story about the characters from Rum Punch/Jackie Brown) and also featured Robert Forster (from Jackie Brown) and Natalie Zea (from Justified).

Hawkes plays a hard-boiled private detective in L.A., but the most interesting thing is that the movie is divided into five vignettes, each one about 20 minutes, and each one filmed in one long, uninterrupted take with no cuts. I liked it, but I love detective stories, anything Leonard-esque, and anything with time jumps and twists and non-linear structure.

I can't find this on US Netflix (I assume you are in another region). I did find Life of Crime on Hulu tho.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Watching this season of The Crown, and I just realized it has become an episodic show disguised as a serial. In my memory the show felt more serial like in the first 2 seasons (maybe my memory is fooling me but I swear it was more of mix), but every episode so far this season are pure stand alone. As someone who has avoided episodic TV since the late 90's (I couldn't even finish the first season of Justified), I can't believe how much I am enjoy the fact it is episodic.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I was watching 6 Underground with no idea who the director was (hey let’s watch what I thought was a direct to video Ryan Reynolds movie in the background), but it was so obvious that I stopped it about 30 minutes in the see if it was Michael Bay or someone who worked with him in the past. The car chase at the beginning was fun as hell (the good guys causing civilian causalities was a nice touch), but after that not much stands out to me. Just the typical editing of a Bay movie. Still it was sorta of fun (I wouldn’t call it good), but it should have been cut down to 90 minutes.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finally made a decent dent into Mandalorian. I like it mainly due to I’m sucker for westerns and most things Star Wars. That said it is not that good. Acting is mostly bad and the most of the episodes are so typical you can guess what is going to happen in no time. I do feel like the show is getting a big pass by many due to Baby Yoda cuteness and the nostalgia for anything remotely cool that is Star Wars. Part is my fault due to I listen to the hype about it and got my hopes up. It is 2019’s version of Westworld when it comes to being overhyped.

Plan to finally watch The Witcher next, which I feel like is going to be a let down too (maybe it will be helped by me having no hype).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
To steal from Allan Speinwall, my only real issue with the Netflix model is how shows are becoming a 10 hour movie. Every episode doesn’t have to be a push to the finale. The best serialized shows know this (just look at the shows responsible for the golden age of HBO). This 10 hour movie thing didn’t happen because of serialization, it happen due to all episodes dropping at one time. It is almost like a crutch for the show runners.

I did enjoy watching Watchmen and Mr Robot weekly, but those shows know how to make each episode feel unique. Thinking about it I loved season 3 of Stranger Things for example, but I can’t think of one standout episode. While with Watchmen I can think of 2 amazing ones, and there are at least 3 episodes that standout to me this last season of Mr. Robot.

Also The Crown is the anti version of this too, and it drops all at one time. Despite having a running overall story/theme, each episode is like its own movie.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Glottis posted:

I think it's kind of odd to compare it to Westworld since they are basically polar opposites. Westworld is convoluted and very layered with a grand overarching storyline / mystery to solve, The Mandalorian is simple and mostly episodic. People are enjoying The Mandalorian for that reason - it's refreshingly light and accessible when compared to a lot of other media out there. It's like the anti-Rise of Skywalker.

Hype is a powerful thing. Just realize that the number of people talking about something does not equate to how good it is. Sort of like rotten tomatoes vs. metacritic scores. Just because almost everyone thought it was enjoyable doesn't mean it's extremely good, just that it has wide appeal.

I only meant to compare it to Westworld (season 1) in relation to what I perceived as over hyped by some, not in the actual content. I do get what you are saying about enjoying a show vs. extremely good, and I do think the Saturday morning comparison is perfect. If I knew that going in I would had the right expectations. I think the biggest shock to me was how light it was, but in the end it is a nice palate cleanser. To be clear my hype came from what I suspected now is people who are a little too pro-Disney+, and the fact it showed up on several top 10 list. Still I do enjoy it for what it is, and I will get Disney+ again when season 2 is released in full.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 8, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
You guys must be lucky. I work with a bunch of people with the ideal of TV watercooler conversation is (at least the last time I pay attention years ago) what happen on Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead, or some reality show (The Voice or some crap). When I asked if anyone watched 'insert prestige show name' they would look at me like I was crazy. The only shows that did cross over to them (during their air dates) was a few watched Mad Men (several of them found it boring) and the other was Breaking Bad. They call me the office hipster because they think I am a pretentious rear end in a top hat when it comes to TV viewing. I guess I need to stop saying things like 'I don't watch network TV anymore'. I am an rear end in a top hat to be honest.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 9, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Franchescanado posted:

That's insane. Your co-workers are insane.

I am also my office hipster. But I'm at least talking about how The Lightouse was filmed, or how I'm gonna see this new Korean film called "Parasite".

It got better when I replaced "I don't watch network TV" with "I don't own cable, I just stream and go to the movie theater often" and "I'd rather watch one movie than three episodes of any TV show."

Take in to account: a) I am a controller of an accounting department and half the staff is older than me, b) I work for a government contractor full of government retirees who are also older than me, and c) we are located in East Tennessee (aka the bible belt aka Trump country). That said I am good friends with everyone in the IT department, and if it is comic/fantasy/sc-fi related it is all good (Expanse lovers, all of them).

It is so bad, none of my employees knew who Parliament/George Clinton was when I saw him a few yeas ago.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 9, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Midsommar is now available on Amazon Prime. It seems to be a love or hate movie, but I thought it was the best movie I watched in 2019.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finally watched End Game right before my Disney+ expired, and it is everything I hate about comic book movies. I know I’m dealing with the subjective here, but I just don’t see how anyone who is over 13, could say that was a great movie. As someone who grew up reading Marvel comics I was I could, but the Avengers movies are just big misses for me (the one before End Game was the best of the bunch).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's also way loving better than Game of Thrones ever was

I haven’t even watched it yet, but I am willing to bet this is one of hell of a bad take.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Patrick Wilson was great in Little Children (based on book by The Leftovers and Election writer Tom Perrotta), and he was perfect in his Girls episode. Also loved him in Fargo. Don’t think I can say too much negative about Mr. Wilson.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jose Oquendo posted:

To Live and Die in LA pairs well with Manhunter. Same lead, same vibe.

I can’t stop thinking of the Wang Chung song every time I see a post about TL&DIL. That and the chase from the movie is all I remember. To be honest I haven’t watched it since my parents rented it on VHS back in the 80’s.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I must be the only person that likes all of Girls. I wouldn’t call it great and it did have dip in quality, but I enjoyed every season of it.

Also when Entourage was released it was a pretty positive reviewed show, and everyone seemed to like it. I really thought Kevin Dillon’s character was fun during the early seasons. That said around the time Sasha Grey showed up the backlash against it started. I did try to watch an episode in the last year or so, and it was painful. It is amazing how you can enjoy something 15 years ago, and now think it is complete trash.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Honey Boy is now on Prime V and it's amazing and devastating and all the things. Shia LaBoeuf knocks it out of the park watch it now.

Shia LeBoeuf is a national treasure. Also his Hot Ones is one of my favorites.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am not a fan of this trend of documentaries being turned into a miniseries. There is no reason why it can’t be a 2 to 3 hour movie. I just don’t the time, so good chance I will not watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finally watched Hereditary after putting it off (I just knew it was going to be great), and man it actually lived up to the hype.. I love a horror movie that has me looking online to find what was based on actual beliefs/text and other theories after I watched it. While you can tell it is from the same person that did Midsommar, they are so different in many other ways I don't think that is bad thing. I am not going to get into which one is better, but I can see how one could argue for each one of them. That said Hereditary is more horror than Midsommar. My wife doesn't like horror that much, and she prefers Midsommar.

Also Ari Aster really gets some great performances out of his actors. I think I read his next movie will not be horror related. That makes me sad and happy at the same time.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 17, 2020