Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

IAMKOREA posted:

god drat i hate my job. only good thing i get to do is help make sure that operators (like one of the only blue collar jobs left in the US where you can raise a middle class family without a degree) don't get blown up. that part is good. the poo poo i design is safe, i make sure of that. i'll throw a loving fit if something isn't safe. poo poo man you should hear some of the stories from operators i've heard - standing in a 6 inch puddle of liquid propane, poo poo like that. not under my watch though. gently caress everything else though, goddamn.

All decently paying STEM jobs are loving terrible and will radicalize you one way or another. There's something awful that happens to your psyche as you wake up every day to spend all of your mental capacity on solving complex problems in order to make things more poo poo, and facing that realization over and over again every morning that you wake up. Conversations with coworkers, with managers, so much of your life becomes part of this thing that shouldn't be and is actively making things much worse. And of course, the alternatives are unemployment or a job that's more helpful to people but pays poo poo.

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 06:18 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

The rainforest was already burned down and the cow was already raised, slaughtered, and shipped in from Brazil by the time you bought it, and not buying it doesn't reverse those.

:psypop:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shipon posted:

how do you get a hundred million americans to systematically boycott things if you constantly tell them individual action doesn't matter? you're sending a contradictory message by just saying "well it doesn't actually matter what you do" and then telling people that boycotts are going to be necessary to force change

we must all synchronously flip the switch from 100% bad to 100% good, anything else is virtue signaling and ultimately pointless posturing by scolds

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

im cynically going to brunch until Great Man arrives and skullfucks ExxonMobil and BP, call me when anything matters losers

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

hello, i understand you people have read no logo, and think buying ethical versions of mass produced consumer products is a good idea. well, i have some news for you :smug: there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. nike or patagonia? heh. good tv vs bad tv? get owned. food? hah! you still gotta eat. *slurps bacon grease cynically*

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

there is no greater comrade for changing the way we eat food than a bunch of debatelords that are activated all at once to put down their baconators and bring the fight to the meat packing plants and the factory farms. they will divine and intuit a whole new mode of buying, preparing and eating food all at once, if my leftist intuitions are to be trusted. in the mean time, there is no point in reading, introspecting or analyzing anything i do, as we are on a dying dead planet full of gay vegans who are skinny and shrill and won't leave me alone

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

since individualistic choices can really make a difference that's why covid isn't owning the most individualistic nation on earth, but hey i wear a mask so im doing my part. lets go to brunch

this logic is infallible and i am owned

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Wakko posted:

sorry that was actually very rude to religious cultists who are at least not so delusional they pretend it's possible to shop their way to a theocracy. i apologise and i will do better

thank u. all that i ask is that everyone is polite as they attack the individualistic vegan strawman that doesn't organize or do anything beyond arm chair scolding online

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

like i said that its still probably a smart personal choice but that fundamentally "voting with your pocketbook" doesn't work
yup, i agree! what do you think lays the foundation for interest in organizing for change?

Trabisnikof posted:

getting mad because you can't pretend to be saving the world by buying an EV and buying 3x carbon credits when you fly
gently caress, this person sounds awful!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

GND? No, gently caress you, you get a spot on the NSC. We'll "address" climate change by wokely buttressing the fortress and building more detention centers and dumping a poo poo ton more money into defense. more 👏 bipoc 👏 border 👏 security 👏

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If you've ever seen those Crabapple illustration with AOC voice over YouTube vids or the COVID19-impacted follow-up featuring Gael Garcia-Bernal - you're not far off. AmeriCorped BIPOC gleefully serving white do-nothings, all in the name of climate mitigation. This isn't actually a move contrary to the original aims of the GND though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9uTH0iprVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m8YACFJlMg

yeah the GND is the smallest step in the right direction but ultimately the united states needs to completely gut its defense spending and put cooperation with China first which is just so far into fantasy land that it's hard to not be cynically blackpilled

I first watched these videos after they were referenced in Naomi Klein's latest collection of essays and they're just pure fluff

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

imagine thinking your children would help you and that you would deserve it, must be some nice families and situations to grow up in to have that expectation!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I only bring it up when people ask me why I don’t have or want kids despite liking them. I used to try being indirect but got tired of that and now bluntly say that it would be unkind to will someone into existence during the human extinction event

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Sing Along posted:

i'm currently renting in tucson and strongly considering moving to the upper peninsula of michigan (i'm fortunate to finally have found a remote position). is this a terrible idea?

same except i'm in texas. I have spent all of my life in arizona and texas and am deeply tired of hot miserable summers that are only becoming hotter and more miserable. i dont even like these places, im only here because of my boomer parents. I occasionally look at places in new england and the upper midwest and am getting closer to just doing it as I think more about desertification, droughts, deadly wet-bulb temperatures, drinking water scarcity, etc. That and most of my friends have already moved away because they can't afford to live here after prices have continued to skyrocket over the past 15 years

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Mass songbird die-off, gently caress everything

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

instructions unclear, all of my poo poo is packed and ready to move to a state bordering Canada, where do I go?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

okay but aren't there chud militias there? also there's a lot of michigan, which part specifically?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1067746578226704384?s=20

thanks obama

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

just eat lentils and beans. stop pulling stuff out of the ocean you freaks, it's radioactive and dying

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

love to work all day on useless poo poo for money while a catastrophe that began before I was born continues to unfold and destroy everything

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

A million miles of pipeline that nonstop pumps natural gas to fuel fires along the whole arctic so we can burn methane as it comes up.

and we call it 'The Aristocrats'

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Tech worker libs/libertarians I worked with were all on the soylent hype train for years starting around 2016. It's SlimFast marketed at Musk fetishists who want to work at their desk for lunch. It's gross and overpriced

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

ah yes, the "newb doomer" special

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

hitler was a child :smug:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

so much for global warming :smug:
(we are all hosed)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

that's hilarious, is everyone just losing their poo poo? has the national guard been called in?
Yeah. Saw coast guard zipping down my street on ATVs and have been hearing helicopters. Our buildings here are hilarious not suited to the cold. I rent a lovely condo and spent last night taping towels and whatever i could find to windows and door cracks to keep this place warm just in case electricity was cut (it was). I have sleeping bags and a lot of water saved so I can last for a couple of weeks but some people were caught with their pants down. We had seven inches of snow, which is ridiculous for this area.

actionjackson posted:

we are at the the tail end of a polar vortex here in MN, I assume they are part of the same system. But obviously we have weather like this at least once every winter. Coldest windchill was yesterday at -32, with close to -50 up north

a few years ago we had a -58 windchill lol

It doesn't get much colder than 30ish here usually, sometimes it dips into high 20s at night but this winter has been record breaking. I like 25-30ish, it can be pretty cold if the humidity is high but it usually feels like a welcome taste of winter. I'm learning that the difference between 25 and 0 is about the same as 85 and 110. I was outside last night insulating our lovely spigots at about 0F, making sure our cheap Texan plumbing didn't result in burst pipes, and it hurt. The snowstorm was blowing in at pretty high winds and yeah, I don't want to gently caress with that.

Us catching frigid weather like this is like when areas in western Europe have heat waves killing people that would be normal weather for us in the summer. Part of it is infrastructure and preparedness for once ordinary weather, part of it is acclimation and knowing how to handle the elements. Global warming drat near could have made me freeze to death in central Texas last night

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 03:03 on Feb 16, 2021

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

So what I am hearing here is that things aren't that bad yet!

Things are better than they'll ever be right now! as I tap this message out in an unheated and unlit apartment by candlelight in a failed state

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Sjs00 posted:

holy moly. do you have a fireplace? If you do I recommend gathering firewood, if you can. I always have some now

I have a tent and a sleeping bag :texas:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Water is out in much of Austin. Will this impact the extremely hot real estate market? Yes, it will make number go up

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

hope u like mold!

i do not

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

take_it_slow posted:

:siren:Paging Car Hater:siren:
Study: Car commuters at higher risk of carcinogen exposure

edit: gently caress cars

I was recently reading this when considering buying a house:
http://blog.cityprojections.com/2018/12/how-far-should-you-live-from-road-to.html

Made me think about how long I lived within 500ft of a highway in some cheapo apartments in my 20s :shepface: can't wait to get pollution induced dementia

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Car Hater posted:

lolol gently caress CARS, CAN I GET AN AMEN BROTHER OOOOH YEAH!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Car Hater posted:

lolol gently caress CARS, CAN I GET AN AMEN BROTHER OOOOH YEAH!

Highways are super hosed. I've known "car bad" for a while, suburban sprawl is devastating the biosphere, but the local pollution impact I understood was vague and unclear. I started digging in more and recently learned how about terrible ultrafine particles are, and how you're breathing that poo poo any time you're driving or within 300m of a highway. And if you're in an area with nocturnal surface inversions, like LA or Salt Lake City, you're getting extra hosed, because the extent of the pollution plume greatly extends extends at night and can't disperse normally, resulting in plumes extending up to 3000m if you happen to be down wind of the highway or major road. You breathe that in all night, and it easily gets indoors, and most filtering systems won't capture it.

Also, do not live near airports, especially if you're within 5-10 miles downwind of the airport depending on the prevailing winds of your area.

Don't jog in the nice, brisk morning.

Always recirculate air in your car when you drive, the air you breathe is pure poison on the highway but recirculating cuts it down to 20%, which is still terrible but not as bad. Major roads have these problems as well, depending on the car throughput per day, if you live near an intersection, on a hill, anything that would cause cars to accelerate or brake harder.

Truly awful stuff, and it's invisible! Makes me reflect on extended periods of time I've lived close to highways and major roads and would get headaches and regularly had irritated sinuses and breathing issues that resolved after moving. Or my grandparent who lived within 500ft of a highway and a mile downwind from the airport who died young from cancer. Or a person I know with asthma who grew up near a busy road and close to an oil refinery. Dated someone who had a sibling with autism and multiple different types of psychoses, their childhood home was within 1000ft of a highway and downwind from an airforce base. Fuckin everyone near or inside cities is getting poisoned with this poo poo and it slowly cooks you over time. You could go move out into the wilderness or a sparsely populated area, but global warming will still get you there, and you're more likely to die from something stupid and random like appendicitis because you're far away from services. A lot of people here probably know this stuff already, but I don't think it's common knowledge.

gently caress cars

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Feb 18, 2021

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

God Hole posted:

*lives in phoenix*

oh cool, even more ways im completely hosed

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/es5001566

This study was in LA, so the impact could be different in Phoenix, but yeah

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

I like how people go "Tesla will save us" because they don't understand what road surfaces are.

Tire wear is a huge source of ultrafine particulate matter, and one of the biggest sources of microplastic pollution. Let's not forget the rare metals extraction, brake dust, on and on. I love to poo poo on Tesla whenever I get the chance

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

It's Texas' turn right now, but collapse will soon be coming to a state near you!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Nordics and to some degree Spain have improved our tech in significant ways.

lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Still better than the USA.

:allears:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Pobrecito posted:

unironically asking, where would be a good place to move to in the near future to ride out the oncoming climate catastrophe. i live near the coast in the southern US so between hurricanes, heat, rising sea levels, and polar vortexes its already getting to be pretty loving miserable here

i'm thinking montana or alaska

Duluth or Michigan's upper peninsula

I decided to stay in the failed state of Texas because I don't know anyone in a place that's less hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Duluth stretching over to the tip of the Michigan UP sound like the lowest risk area in terms of weather, climate, water, extreme weather events, and flooding, earthquakes, yada yada but I'm also very aware of how overwhelmingly white it is. I'm a white passing latino, so I could be okay, but I'd also have no family up there and may accidentally slip into speaking spanglish and get executed by rabid chuds. I'd need to change my name too. No thanks, I'll just die from thirst down here near my dying family

e: actually we would probably become a migrant caravan of browns moving across the melting wastes of the great plains/the ozarks or w/e and then be murdered by militant white supremacist christian dominionists if we didn't all die from exposure lol

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Feb 20, 2021