Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

haha wow we are extremely bad lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it’s gonna be way cool when the patriots have the same number of wins as the rest of the afce combined

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

hurtful

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

“they’re not using me enough and when they do use me it’s not in the way i think is most conducive to my or the team’s success”

that seems like a reasonable complaint

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

btw the dolphins are the ones that granted him permission to seek a trade because we’re dumb enough to think we can get fair value on the best slot corner in football on a rookie contract; he has zero leverage but the team’s in full on “firesale for assets” mode and thinks accruing a bunch of first round picks will lead to a shorter rebuild

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ehud posted:

what's it like

besides the quanitifiable physical risks (pretty sure he could rupture a liver or sonething like that more easily than normal), i had mono in high school for a week and i felt like i was dying just laying on a couch and watching the shield; i can’t imagine anyone doing light exercise in that state, much less football

it’s like your whole body is hungover but you also have the flu and you’re recovering from a hard workout all at the same time

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

gostkowski missed two PATs #shook #cooked #washedup

no other takeaways from this game unlike the patriots who got 4 of them

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Are there people out there monitoring the social media profiles of every player just wanted to see if there is an edit?

i imagine most beat writers follow every player account on twitter looking for anything they can to feed the beast, that or there was some rumbling from unverified sources that jamal adams was unhappy

or they got a tip from a fan, or someone just stumbled across it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

NutShellBill posted:

So... what is the strategy in Miami right now?

The "Tank for Tua" part is obvious, but what happens if and when they get him?

At the rate they're going, they'll have Tua, a cooked Kiko Alonso and Preston Williams. QB is important, but having a decent lineman or two might be good, maybe some defenders?

They literally learned nothing from watching the Colts waste Andrew Luck's career.

the shitload of 2020 firsts will help; throckmorton and biadasz will be around where the dolphins extra picks end up and they would do a lot to solidify the line if they both pan out

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Draft picks, even very high “pro ready can’t miss” ones, bust all the drat time though. So if their plan is really that they can just draft a billion dudes in the first three rounds and have a stable of studs around Tua (who might bust himself for all we know)... that seems, uh, optimistic and reckless.

the dolphins hit on their picks pretty consistently (not perfectly but above average); it’s signing them to a second contract where things usually go awry

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i don’t think anyone in the dolphins org was seriously contemplating keeping flores long term and after two games that looks even less likely; i feel like the long term “plan” is praying that michigan gets tired of second tier status in the big ten, fires harbaugh, and then ross backs up the brinks truck to him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Flikken posted:

Wishing for 0-16 is lovely.

Going 0-16 sucks, a lot

i don’t think the lions or browns were trying to actively tank though

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i will root for my bills brothers in lieu of hoping the dolphins win a single game this year. i hate the loving jets though. gently caress you jets.

nosebleeds at metlife for the dolphins game are like $14 and it’s the week before my birthday; thinking about making the trip up and rooting against the green empire

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the bills defense did a good job, the running game was good and frank gore is ageless, what else could it have been that the bills needed to succeed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

allen does do a good job working outside of the pocket

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i’ll take 2-14 with two wins over the jets until the sun burns out, thanks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

dolphins were accidentally too good, whoops

e: all told i’d rather try to trade up for chase young if the option’s there and then have a second tier qb like eason or love sit behind fitzpatrick for a year, but i don’t see a way to do that without giving up the steelers pick so idk

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 30, 2019

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

pasaluki posted:

I think Chan Gailey can still be a good OC.

For whatever reason I still remember the press conference after he got fired as the Bills HC was just heartbreaking.

in 2016 the jets offense was either last or second to last in most major categories with gailey running the show

not that they were some wellspring of talent or anything but yikes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

tua staying to avoid getting drafted by miami and us ending up with, like, andrew thomas and jordan love would be such a bummer

not that they’d be bad picks but just kinda boring

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

pasaluki posted:

Gregg is a better coach than Gase but would not have been hired as the head coach anyway.

The folly of the Jets is that they still believe that Gase is somehow the key to unlocking Darnold. The same tortured logic they had in hiring Gase in the first place is the same tortured logic that they use to keep him in place.

how could they possibly believe that after watching ryan tannehill in tennessee

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

torgeaux posted:

Yeah, if they don't have the scouting for another guy they want at QB, getting a third first rounder in 2021 is not a bad idea.

i gotta imagine they at least take a flyer in the second round just to give rosen some competition

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kalli posted:

Jesus Christ Josh Allen

is losing 19 yards on a crucial fourth down bad? asking for a friend

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 5, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

Other than Byron Jones they’ve done basically what I wanted which was sticking in the signing a bunch of guys for $8-10mil range.

2 or 3 more of those types plus drafting an entirely new offense. I’m excited for a couple of years before it all falls apart.

i’m actually excited to see what flores does with His Guys tm

i suspect the defense will be in the top 10 and the offense will be... there

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

winston would have way way less to throw to up in new england and he’d be on a way tighter leash under belichick

i think bill would be more interested in a stable game manager or an unheralded backup than anything else

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

tarbrush posted:

Surely the better idea is Tua in the certain knowledge he's going to have a year to rehab

i think this is the way to go presuming that there won't be a second draft without another nfl season in between

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Raku posted:

god you just know he and saban are having the time of their lives doing nothing but watching tape for months

saban would way rather be crootin but i think he’s made his peace

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

torgeaux posted:

Tua, best tackle, best safety. Round one done.

i feel like the tua gamble makes a lot of sense for the dolphins in particular; they have multiple firsts, a need at the position, and a guy who would be #1 if not for injury red flags (which other than concussions tend to be a crapshoot in terms of predicting future health)

i think the dolphins need to swing for the fences or they need to trade down but going “bpa as long as it’s not tua” is shortsighted

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

fsif posted:

My god Miami better not draft Tua. The entire event would be ruined.

always bet on teal (to goof it up)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

new england having a normal one as always i see

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

thank gently caress the fins didn't goof it up hail satin

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

pasaluki posted:

Signing a Nazi isn't even in top 10 of evil poo poo they've done.

nah it’s pretty loving bad; the patriots just gave a fringe right wing ideology a bunch of free press because they liked how strong he could theoretically kick a football

is it the worst? probably not but still really really bad

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

here's hoping it goes well instead of poorly

this being the dolphins (and really the whole afc east) i know how it'll end but maybe it'll be cool for a little while

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The AFC East is the most devout division in all of Christendom. Tebow, Tua, Brady (I think)?

We are God's chosen. Amen.

tom's not the praying kind (drew brees is the secret devout ageless all pro qb)

sanchez believed in the ole jesuchristo tho

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

Bill definitely seems more like the type of dude who wants to win 9 games with a barren roster to prove it was him all along than a guy who would tank.

he lives, eats, and breathes this poo poo and now he doesn't have to deal with anyone butting heads with him

he's gonna have a great time going 8-8 and being surly as gently caress about it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

4-12 with improvement on both lines would sit fine with me

ideally tua would only start the last few games of the season and hey maybe he looks good in them

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

fsif posted:

I'm not a fan and I also don't have a good handle on the Dolphins' fan base outside this forum, so I could be completely wrong, BUT…

This is a lot easier to say now than it would be when you are actually living through it. The team absolutely loaded up with talent on defensive talent in the offseason and added three first-round draft picks. Obviously the Dolphins' schedule is harder this year, but you'd still be watching three losses for every one victory they have. 4-12 is generally the record of a team that can absolutely not compete with good teams, is generally embarrassed by mediocre ones, and looks silly going blow-for-blow with bad ones. You're either talking a six or seven-game losing streak or no consecutive victories.

Compounding all that, national stories will be all about how disappointing the Dolphins have been, being unable to improve despite all the money they spent and all the draft capital they appear to have squandered. Players will start griping and we'll all begin discussing how poisonous the Belichick coaching tree is, how premature we were to crown Flores because Fitzpatrick Fitz'd his ways into improbably victories once again.

if flores delivers less than 6 wins (which i don’t suspect will happen), he’ll be under the gun in year three; at that point anything less than 8 wins would probably get him canned

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

The only top 10 pick since 2000 to not play a lot their first season was Jake Locker.

carson palmer went #1 in 2003 and was a healthy scratch for the bengals all season long, phillip rivers went #4 in 2004 and had a combined 30 pass attempts in 4 games his first two seasons, jamarcus didn’t start until week 13 partially because he missed training camp with a contract holdout but mostly because lane kiffin wanted to bring him along slowly, goff didn’t start until mid november, mahomes was already mentioned, and you yourself mentioned jake locker

so it’s not super common anymore but it’s also not that uncommon to take a qb top 10 and let them sit for a year or two; usually there’s an entrenched starter but sometimes you’ll have a dude sit behind case keenum

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

torgeaux posted:

Best case scenario for Jets. Do you root for early disaster? Gase going 4-4 thru the front half keeps his job, teases competency.

start 2-6, gase fired, darnold gets hot and they go 7-1 down the stretch and make it into the wildcard

gregg williams is back baby

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

fsif posted:

Josh Allen is a good intermediate passer.

i believe in josh allen and i hope he goes deep, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

tanking is for chumps, play hard and the right guy will fall to you, follow your dreams to the max