Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Kurtofan posted:

have some goats

There's your MonoBlack control finisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I wonder if Green will get another potentially playable adventure. It seems like all the other colors are better at it in constructed.
Lovestruck Beast will probably see play, as will Beanstalk Giant

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I've been playing Naya Giants Ramp and it kind of eats T3feri alive

It's a very, very good feeling

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's 2019, grow a loving conscience and stop talking like you're 17

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

little munchkin posted:

personally i don't see any joy in a stranger who doesn't have to be a wage slave for a faceless corporation and is instead getting paid 3x as much to be a shameless marketing shill for said faceless corporation
Congratulations, you win leftist woke-poker. Let's go back to talking about a children's card game plz

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Sickening posted:

Well the dumb cats deck gets even more tools, just weird.
The dumb cats deck is great, how dare you

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
OH LAWD HE COMIN

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"I choose nothing it has protection from everything" is still going to be everywhere at prereleases I reckon

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

ShadeofBlue posted:

Wow that’s a boring Tymaret. Probably at least somewhat playable if mono black devotion is a thing which I think it probably will be.
A 2/Large graveyard hoserthat pumps your Gary by 2 is 100% sideboard material, possibly maindeckable

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Obscil posted:

Looks like we are getting a cycle of X spells this set.
"Kill target Achilles"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
That -3 is a little more potent than it looks like at first blush because of all the enchantment creatures running around, but it looks like another standard "limited bomb not good enough for constructed" PW

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm not watching a 24-minute video of someone projecting their mental illness onto the internet. It's sad and I really, sincerely hope he gets help.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Yawgmoth posted:

it's actually a sandwich
Horniness is, technically speaking, a ravioli

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gimme a Heist Film Plane
This. This is the real answer.

Also, for the record, the role of American Indians in the Western genre is 1) 100% necessary and 2) 100% racist. It's not really possible to portray what they're supposed to represent in a way that isn't deeply offensive.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
See now I'm curious about how monored artifacts could possibly be a thing

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's been a while since I've seen a good old-fashioned internet slapfight. It's like it's 2005 all over again

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Owlbear Camus posted:

Selling an elicit recreational drug you have no reason to think is adulterated in a way to be explicitly dangerous to another adult defaults to a 1 and goes up to maybe a 3-4 if the supply chain has actual real crimes upstream from your acquisition of the weight you're moving. (only a 3 because those crimes would be mitigated by decriminalization and thus the weight of the moral burden falls on the state.)
Supply chains of recreational drugs are almost always going to have crimes upstream; ethical consumption is hard enough under regular capitalism, let alone illegal, wildly unregulated capitalism. There's no such thing as fair trade MDMA

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

C-Euro posted:

Clearly we need to put Hidetsugu's Second Rite into Pioneer then.
This but unironically

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Bonder's Enclave is a whirlwind slam first pick in any Limited format. Repeatable card draw on a land is insane.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's only clunky if you don't have 3eferi out, then it's a one-mana haymaker

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

PJOmega posted:

I'd love to see "deal some amount of damage, if that creature would die this turn return it to hand instead"
This is way, way stronger of an effect than I think you think it is

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Bounce is usually weaker against smaller creatures (because they're cheaper to replay) while direct damage is usually weaker against bigger creatures (because it won't necessarily kill them). By combining them, you've created a removal spell that has both of their upsides and none of their downsides.

Unconditional removal that you're never sad to draw isn't really an effect they print outside of black.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Count Bleck posted:

All I see is a pissed off skeleton flipping me off

hey LISTEN HERE BUDDY

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm actually fine with Lutri not being allowed in Commander or Brawl? Those formats (Commander in particular) get catered to fairly hard in the form of big splashy bombs that aren't Limited or Constructed playable but show up in normal sets anyway, so I'm 100% okay with the shoe being on the other foot.

If a card has the potential to make Standard interesting but would be too good for Commander, I don't see the problem in preemptively banning it and letting it make Standard interesting.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

meanolmrcloud posted:

This is slightly better than 2012-2019’s endless parade of mechanics that put a plus one plus one counter on something, for some reason
Counterpoint: putting +1/+1 counters on things is cool and fun

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the Onslaught block books, particularly Scourge, are to me the apex of magic lore. Everyone is a huge weirdo, two critical POV characters from the book appear absolutely nowhere in the set, the plot is driven by weird inexplicable phenomena that everyone just rolls with. It captures the feeling of living in a post apocalyptic magical domain where some rear end in a top hat Uberwizard can ruin your life at any moment without even noticing.
Zagorka card when WotC

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

ScottyJSno posted:

Finally a product for the wealthy. The true overlooked demographic.
This is basically what's wrong with unregulated capitalism. Nobody is saying that Wizards of the Coast (and by extension Hasbro) doesn't deserve to make money off of their product, but the only people who could possibly object to calling out WotC on their blatant whale-bait are the 100 or so top shareholders who have a deep, vested interest in WotC's bottom line. To Literally Everyone Else, a few hundred thousand dollars shaved off of WotC's profit margin is negligible and doesn't reduce anyone's ability to feed their families, up to and including the people whose families are being fed by MtG's profit margin.

gently caress this, and gently caress anyone who defends this.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
loving brutal

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Some Goon posted:

Even if Shinto would do much better this time around, I dont doubt Maro when he says the real issues is that the suits would never sign off on it.
This. The problem isn't whether or not Kamigawa portrayed Shintoism well enough or whether or not Shintoism is a good cultural well to draw from for a set, it's that you're never gonna convince the people that fund Magic to sign off on a sequel to a set that famously didn't sell well

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
This actually owns and is cool

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sorry that facts don't care about your feelings.
No one that says this is ever worth listening to

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

mcmagic posted:

The Field decks were fine until they printed Hour of Promise.
:wrong:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Crackbone posted:

Who would have thought that letting mana ramp be its own repeatable recurring threat might be format warping
"What if Ramp decks had a win condition that could be tutored for without subbing out ramp for tutors and also was basically impossible to interact with"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Panzeh posted:

I think I would've hit hour of promise and uro rather than field of the dead tbqh. Make the control decks win the game at some point.

The turbo ramp decks have plenty of ways to win the game anyway, take out some of the best turbo ramp and i think we'll get somewhere.
Field is restrictive design; it's a reason ramp can't get too efficient rather than being crazy efficient ramp like Uro. It's a Valakut that keeps generating value and is harder to disrupt. It 100% had to go.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 25, 2020

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Counterpoint: Maze's End is cool and good, whereas Field is uncool and bad

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, independently of JK’s heel turn, Harry Potter is also a lovely book series that has really lovely ideas played straight. I can’t think of anything more boring than setting an entire block in a school.
They literally just set the latest Hearthstone expansion in a school

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
This reads like one of those AI-generated cards

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Just do another Persian / Islamic Mythology set. Rocs, djinn, island-sized whales, wandering wise men, Zoroastrian dragons, nefarious bandits, what-have-you. Set it in or around a fantasy Silk Road, the One Safe Point Of Passage between great cities in a world where everything is big and scary.

It's not hard to do representation, WotC. You've done it before.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

HMS Beagle posted:

Bring back double faced cards and vehicles for the inevitable MASK revival.
Don't say it out loud, you'll jinx it