Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
You guys weren't kidding about Thrill of the Fight...I'm not the gooniest goon and after a match with the Sparring Partner and a 3 rounder with the first opponent I was soaked. Also I can definitely feel it in my body today. I never boxed, but I used to practice HEMA and this feels oddly familiar, down to your head being encased in a sweaty box at the end of the match.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Anyone else experiencing weird "depth perception distortion" after spending some time in VR? I don't have locomotion sickness, but sometimes I get weirded out trying to put stuff close to my face in focus after playing for a while. I wear glasses inside the headset, if that makes any difference. It's nothing major (no dizziness or vertigo), just a weird feeling that something is "off".

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Luneshot posted:

Alright, still pretty new to VR so this is going to be a dumb question.

Is there any trick to getting a headset to not slip without having it so tight that it gives me a headache? I wear glasses and I have a Rift S. I think the IPD range is fine (62) from my admittedly-rather-crude measurement with a ruler in the mirror. When I'm nudging the headset around on my face, there's a tiny spot where everything is clear, and I'd love to see everything in VR that way, but even the tiniest amount of slip from moving my head seems to degrade the view noticeably.

It stays on my face and doesn't feel like it's moving at all, but the "sweet spot" for the view not being slightly blurry seems pretty small, and I find myself adjusting the headset fairly regularly- mostly vertically, but sometimes horizontally. I've especially noticed it in H3VR, in that my dominant eye (right) is usually pretty blurry when I close my left eye to try and look down the iron sights. If I nudge the headset to the left, both eyes are sharp, but it doesn't stay there.

Apologies if this is an "explain like I'm five" level of simplicity, but any advice would be appreciated.

I have an old Rift, so I can use the physical slide to regulate the vertical IPD range; once that is set, it stays on focus. Horizontal is the main issue, as the headset will move around a bit and I'll start losing horizontal focus after a while as well. Not sure if there is anything to do for that, unless you want to swap your native foam with something that has more grip (like the leather things someone was discussing a few posts ago). Note that VR graphics are going to be...blurrier than a regular screen no matter what; but I don't have major issues even with a rather loose headset, so maybe the shape of your head is also relevant to the process.

tl;dr: get a new head :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

At the time, Gurman said Apple had not finalized how users would control the headset, but possibilities included touchscreens

Ah yeah, love my augmented reality to be finger-grease tinted.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Some people on the Oculus store are complaining about FOV issues, anyone who has tried it can comment on it?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

WITH ALL THAT SAID
Its great for casual play, hour here or there.

I'm trying to figure out the Venn diagram intersection between A) Casual VR players and B) People ok with drilling in pulleys on their ceiling to play VR...and I'm having some difficulties :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Stormlands is good.

Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ3e3QbVEZA

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

dogstile posted:

Dev's won't get better at making cutscenes in VR better without having to try it first. Give it time, bound to get better.

This is a thing I am actually worried about. I got a Rift 2y ago but had to abandon it cause my old pc couldn't run it properly. I got back into VR now that I have a new pc and a lot of the recommended titles from 2y ago are still the go-to titles for VR. Also it's probably my headset showing its age, but most VR games still look like crap even with AA or SS cranked up. Robo-Recall is still one of the most polished games (both visually and game play wise) in my library. Other games are fun but super brief (I Expect You to Die) or just look very outdated from a gameplay perspective, VR capabilities aside. I am waiting for Boneworks and hope it'll deliver on the immersion side of things.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

How do you install something like Tea for God on an old Oculus Rift (non S)? Just launch the installer having enabled unknown sources in the Oculus menu?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

How's the Quest display/audio/comfort compared to the Oculus Rift(the old one, not the S)? If the Link is legit I may consider upgrading to it if there is a visual improvement.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll consider getting a Quest during Black Friday/Cyber Monday then. Has anyone tried traveling with a Quest through an airport security point? One of the main things I like about the Quest is the fact that I could bring it with me and have my family have a go at VR during the Holidays, but I am a bit afraid about being stopped from bringing it on a plane since it's a relatively unknown piece of technology.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I mean, they're not really advocating for that though? They're just saying that Boneworks has a Source-like look, a crowbar and it's a VR game, so HL:A May look similar?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I was considering upgrading my CV1 to an S to get rid of the cameras and have a better dsisplay, but my IDP is only 60...I could go with a Quest+Link, would that in theory have better visual quality than a CV1? Are the Rift S and Quest controllers identical?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Any EU goons have tried the Quest yet? The Anker cable is not available in EU afaik, was trying to find one that is confirmed to be working before I pull the trigger on the Quest. Best option would be a 4m long one (since I'm used to the CV1 cable), but any confirmed working will do.

EDIT: this is weird, there is an Anker cable for sale on Amazon.co.uk, but it's not the correct model according to this breakdown on the recommended Anker model:

Seems to be the Powerline+, which is somehow supposed to have a lower data transfer rate than the regular Powerline model? Also it's 90cm long :v:

EDIT2: some rando on Reddit is saying this cable worked fine for him, and since it looks like he was running a series of different tests, I think it should be alright. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7NNJ61/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 25, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

For goons usign a power bank with the Quest, do you velcro it along the horizontal or vertical strap on the back? Also how large of a power bank are we talking (measures/weight and mAh)? The Quest weights only 100g more than the CV1 apparently, so I guess the problem is mostly with the weight being lopsided instead of being evenly distributed. I don't want to overdo it with an oversized bank and have the weight be shifted back instead of front.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Got a Quest, a Quest travel case, a 3m long cable that should work for Link according to Reddit, the recomended Anker 10000 PD battery pack, a 30cm USB-C to right angle USB-C cable and I'm getting this power bank holder 3D printed from a friend. Everything (aside from the power bank and maybe the 3d printed thing) should arrive in a couple of days.

I am ready :getin:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

You should be able to download offline videos from both Netflix and Amazon Prime (or at least you can where I live, on a smartphone).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Is there an easy way to filter for cross buy games on the Oculus Rift/Quest stores? I would be more inclined to buy something during the sales knowing that I would be able to play it both as a PCVR game and as a "mobile" game. So far I was only able to figure this out for games that I already own and are cross buy - cause they show up as "Free" in the Quest store...or I guess I could click everything and see if they have Cross Buy enabled, but that also sounds suboptimal.

EDIT: Reddit has a list https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/crossbuy

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 29, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Something I gave for granted but I am now unsure about: is it possible to use Steam VR games on Quest through Link? If so, is it as simple as with a Rift headset or is there some kind of setup needed? I almost bought that Elite: Dangerous deal on Steam and then I've realized it may not be possible for me to use it with a tethered Quest. Also kind of a big deal for HL:A.

EDIT: alright thanks! Worst case scenario, I'll use the old CV1 or just waste :10bux:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 30, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

rafikki posted:

All of the talk about IPD makes me wonder. I can barely, if at all, telly the difference between one end of the quest ipd slide and the other. I haven't found anyone that's really needed to mess with it when trying either. Does it just help with relative fuzziness? I had an optometrist measure me and came up with R: 32.0 L:33.0

It's more noticeable with straight lines. When I try the IPD setup on my CV1 (the green "+" symbol, with 3 vertical and 3 horizontal lines), the relevant lines are crispy clear for me with 60IPD and become visibly blurrier the more I move them to the other end. It's not as evident with games/Oculus Home cause they tend to be blurrier to begin with.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Gave the new Quest a quick run yesterday and I have to say the visuals are a nice improvement, coming from the CV1, but the comfort is a net downgrade for now (still waiting for my Anker 10k power bank), even with the backstrap way down the back of my head. At the moment I can choose between the headset pushing "hard-ish" on my forehead or on the top of my cheeks, with no comfortable resting position after just a few minutes. I have to say, as soon as I apply some downward pressure on my backstrap, the headsets immediately becomes more comfortable, so I'll give it a better go as soon as my counterweight arrives.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Gave the new Quest a quick run yesterday and I have to say the visuals are a nice improvement, coming from the CV1, but the comfort is a net downgrade for now (still waiting for my Anker 10k power bank), even with the backstrap way down the back of my head. At the moment I can choose between the headset pushing "hard-ish" on my forehead or on the top of my cheeks, with no comfortable resting position after just a few minutes. I have to say, as soon as I apply some downward pressure on my backstrap, the headsets immediately becomes more comfortable, so I'll give it a better go as soon as my counterweight arrives.

I've tried adjusting the straps again and played a couple of 3 rounders in Thrill of the Fight. Maybe it's the general fatigue, but I don't feel Headset specific fatigue this time.

I've also tried the Link and boy this cable works but it's super heavy and rigid. If you are looking into a link cable, it's probably a good idea to try and find one with a T junction at the end (similar to the charging cable that comes with the Quest) to alleviate some of the extra stress the cable puts on your head. I really hope that when the official Link cable is released there will be some kind of accessory to guide the Link cable (original or 3rd party) along the headset the same way the native cable is handled on the Rift. I can see myself smashing into that cable hard otherwise.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

One of my favourite games on VR so far has been I Expect You to Die...are there any more puzzle games that are somewhat similar to that on Quest? Something like old time "adventure games" ala Mist or even Zero Escape would probably be awesome with VR interaction.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

How well does streaming pcvr games to Quest through Virtual Desktop (sideloaded) work? I got VD from the Oculus store yesterday, and somehow the visual quality looked better to me compared to the Quest Link, desktop version? Can you play most games wirelessly, or is the latency too much?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll wait and see if anything goes on sale during the holidays.

Regarding VD: I'm in this weird limbo where I requested a refund cause after the realization that it wouldn't work to launch PCVR games, but before discovering that sideloading was possible...so my app is unavailable until refunded. Do you guys know if Virtual Desktop for Quest goes on sale, usually?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not "just" a USB cable, it's a fibre-optic cable.

That is true...however you can get a 5m long fiber cable for :10bux: (without usb terminations, of course).

I guess the idea is that this cable is lighter than a normal usb one while also being robust enough to sustain damage from being twisted or stepped on. I have a usb 3.1 Amazon essentials cable and it's:
A) 3m instead of 5;
B) Heavy;
C) Not flexible.
Which means I haven't used Link that much for the time being. I'll wait and see what the general consensus on this cable is, but if it's comfy and durable, it may be the only item for the job currently on the market. So yeah, gently caress monopolies, but it's not surprising if the price is so high.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Hand tracking report: both my wife and I had no flickering issues, but you can see the system is very alpha-beta. The fact that you pinch and drag to drag...or pinch to click is probably part of the reason you get phantom clicks or drags when you don't intent to. Also the tracking is totally lost if you move your hands too fast (like, let's say, throwing a punch).

Anyway they have been really open about this being mostly a "use users devices to capture hand motion data to improve their neural network", but you can definitely see the potential of the system once it'll be feature complete.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah I'm really not understanding why they went with a menu like that. I can't even think of the last VR game to use a menu for all your guns instead of slots on your body. Even games where you can pick up a lot of weapons, like From Other Suns, you still have 2 slots on your belt for guns, while the rest are in an inventory.

The only thing that comes to mind like that is fallout 4 VR, and thats a terrible port of a flatscreen game. I really hope it just wasn't shown off and you can put weapons around your body for quick access in the final game.

What's even weirder is that you grab clips from an invisible holster behind your head, so maybe the weapon menu is temporary?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Am I correct in assuming both War Thunder and Elite don't allow a virtual control scheme ala Ultrawings (touch controllerà with virtual stick), but are either physical stick or controller/m+k?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Just buy a HOTAS

I mean, I don't think I'm going to spend 500$ on a device I may use with a few selected games. Unless hotas are now way cheaper than they used to be (like kB+mouse 30$ cheap) this is probably not going to be a solution :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I was having issues with the Quest comfort at first, but everything changed with an Anker 10k pd Powerbank strapped to the back. Now I barely feel any difference from my old CV1 even if the actual weight is more. The real issue is that by default it's very badly balanced.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 30, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

It also boasts "a weight three times that of a 10k power bank" which seems...super excessive. The Quest weights 570g and it's quite frontloaded (but still, that weight includes the straps and parts of the headset that are more center-balanced). A 10k bank weights 200g...600g on the back seems like severe overkill, especially if you want to add a power bank to it, which I would say is really needed for certain intensive games (to the point that I will still run out of juice if I forget to plug it in early enough during long session - the charging rate is sometimes not enough to counterweight the draining).

This is my current setup:

The small "bag" the Powerbank is snuck into is included with it and adds some extra grip to the velcro straps. It also fits in the travel case without any need to disassemble it.

Of course if you're going to use your Quest with Link exclusively, you won't need a power pack so that seems like an alternative solution.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 31, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

I did the tests on that site and apparently I don't have a dominant eye? Did the triangulation test and the object moved an equal distance to either side when I closed an eye, only stayed centered with both open. Probably did it to myself back in junior high when I ripped a contact lens and was afraid to tell my parents, so went about 9 months wearing only one contact lens.
I'm a pretty good shot IRL anyway, so not sure what difference it makes.

Try the other test suggested on that website (the thumb one). I had your same reaction to the "triangular focus" test, but had a very clear difference with the thumb test.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Do you have to sideload an APK or something to have Tea for God run on a Quest? It wasn't on the store last I checked.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

and its no worse than the CV1?

I upgraded from a CV1 to a Quest and I am unable to perceive any compression or degradation in quality; the optics themselves are much better in the Quest to begin with. I can't honestly tell the difference in refresh rate apart (although the CV1 had 90Hz and the Quest has 72), but I am not really effected by framerate the way some other people are, so maybe I'm not the best judge for that. It still has some screendoor effect (less than the CV1), which I guess masks any compression I could otherwise notice in a perfectly crispy clear screen.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Is the quest using a ton more batteries than the old Touch controllers on CV1? I used the CV1 sporadically for a couple of years without having to change the batteries, but the Quest ones were dead after a couple of months. Maybe the controllers turn on somehow while being stashed in the travel case?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Just played an hour of The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners and it's really well done, my only nitpick is that it feels weird to be able to grab bodies/zombies from their head but not from their limbs. During the first real "quest" of the game I've spent a minute trying to turn the dead husband around to grab his wedding ring from his left hand by moving him around pulling his head, since I had not seen the ring falling off on death.

I've played on Quest with an 8m long cable (3m Amazon Basics + 5m active extension) and I have yet to experience any drop in the Link signal, even if I was playing in a different room from the one my computer is in (since the bedroom has a larger VR playable area than the studio). For the first time though I have experienced video compression while using Quest+Link, during the first part of the tutorial/game - everything is pitch black and foggy at the same time, and the banding was very noticeable. Interesting enough, I've stopped noticing it after a while, so either I got used to it, or it's not nearly as noticeable in less dark/foggy situations.

EDIT: also after 1h of standing mostly still my knees hurt.
:goonsay:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 28, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Slayerjerman posted:

I do dislike the weight of this thing on my face/cheeks but it does fit perfect over my glasses so thats a plus. I can play for about 20+mins before my neck starts to ache though, sitting or standing.

But I am confused.... should I wait to buy games through Steam, Occulus Rift store or the Quest store? Why is this complicated?!

Get an Anker PD 10k Powerbank or equivalent and strap it to the back of your headset with Velcro and 90% of your face/checks issues are going to disappear (also make sure the backstrap is quite low on the back of your head). It will also extend your Quest battery lifespan by about 100%, depending on the game you're playing (mostly needed if you are traveling or doing a "show the Quest to friends and family" long session).

Storefront: if you care about crossbuy between Quest and Rift (aka: buy for one platform, get the same game for free on the other) you should check this list: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/crossbuy. Note that games may get crossbuy later on, so I would only buy on Steam if a game is unavailable on the Oculus store.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 30, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Slayerjerman posted:

I setup my sons Quest with SteamVR using the side loaded Virtual Desktop app and got it streaming wirelessly from the PC, this is the darkest of black magic I’ve ever witnessed with PC tech... it works so well it’s just absurd.

So you just sideload Virtual Desktop to the Quest (you need the official Quest version, the desktop version is not enough, right?) and then launch pc games through VD? Does it only work with SteamVR or can you launch games from the Oculus desktop app too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

In case anyone is looking for EU available alternatives that are working 100% (at least for me on USB 3.1), this is what I got from Amazon UK for about 20£ total:
- AmazonBasics Double Braided Nylon USB Type-C to Type-A 3.1 Gen 1 Cable | 3 m, Dark Grey
- deleyCON 5m USB 3.0 Extension Cable Repeater Cable with Active Signal Booster 5 GBit/s USB A to USB A Port - Black
And I'll also add this:
- UGREEN USB C Cable 3A 90 Degree Type C Quick Charge Cable(0.5m)
that I use with the usual Anker 10k PD power bank - I previously bought a 30cm/1foot long cable but for some reason it was too short to reach both the powerbank at the back of my head and the usb-C port on the side of the headset.