Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
New op looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is it worth it to buy anything computer related right now? I haven't looked recently but have prices gone crazy with corona virus factory closings? I'm wanting to upgrade my storage to NVME's but when I built my computer 2 years ago it was during the time that RAM was stupidly over priced, I don't want to make that same mistake again.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I just want to get general consensus. My SSDs are older. I have a roughly 7 year old 125gig Samsung and roughly 5 year old Kingston 250gig drive. At this point it's clear to me that they are both too small. I really enjoy gaming but the 250 isn't big enough.

I'm wanting to get a ~500gig for OS and non game applications and a 1tb for games. It's there an appreciable difference between NVME and SSDs for games? What about OS?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Alternately, consider a single 2tb drive. $215 for a WD Blue likely isn't much more than you'd pay for 2 separate drives and you get a extra half TB..

That's a good idea.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
What case are you using?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

ItBreathes posted:

If possible, look into power line Ethernet as well, it blows wifi out of the water, though of course it lacks portability if you're a lan party regular or whathaveyou

I actually was going to the same thing. Power lines are amazing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm posting this in a few different places because it's a pretty good deal, but right now on Best Buy's website, if you get the Razer Huntsman TE TKL keyboard you can get the new Razer Viper for free. Pretty good deal IMHO. I just picked up the mouse today (keyboard was on back order) and I like it so far. Decent upgrade to my Naga (I quit WoW so I don't really need all the side keys the Naga has).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
A few months back someone recommended me a 2 TB WD Sata SSD drive. I want to say thank you to the person who suggested that because it has changed my computing life for the better. I "only" have about 500 gigs worth of games (with loving Doom 2016 accounting for like 70 gigs of that). Being able to install all the games I ever wanted to play on my SSD and not having to worry about shuffling them between my 4tb HDD and whatever has been great. Thank you!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Cross posting from the keyboard thread.

I'm going to be working from home for awhile. I'm currently using a very cheap Logitech wireless setup for keyboard and mouse. The mouse has poor tracking and the keyboard is physically uncomfortable for me to use after awhile.

Is there a keyboard / mouse combo anyone recommends? I would prefer one receiver for both and under $50. I would prefer a mechanical keyboard but am ok with whatever.

Some Goon posted:

What's your desk setup like / is this a desktop or laptop?

My laptop is tucked underneath the monitor shelf along with the wireless keyboard and mouse.

But that keyboard is just terrible for ours of typing and I do lots of typing.

EDIT: The picture above made me go clean my mousepad.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have a friend who is looking for something to get into digital art with. They do have a low budget (roughly $500) and would prefer a laptop and I'm assuming some sort of drawing tablet device, what sort of recommendations should I give them?

Also interested in potentially a Surface Pro or iPad but regrettably I know very little about them

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 3, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

a. there is a laptop thread, this is the thread for DIY PC building from components which excludes laptops
b. $500 isn't enough for a good laptop alone, you're definitely looking at an ipad or surface pro 6 (which is $599)

Thanks!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
This might not be the thread for it, but it's something I just learned literally yesterday.

I got a 1080p / 144mhz monitor like 5 years ago. Whenever I did vsync it would lock at 60 FPS and I could never figure it out. I was told it was because I was using HDMI and not Display port, so I changed cables and STILL I could never get it to lock at 144 FPS.

I recently watched a YouTube video that mentioned having to manually set it in the display adapter menu, and sure as loving poo poo, that had been my issue.

So yeah, I'm dumb!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SopWATh posted:

Can you tell a difference? Is it amazing or almost exactly the same?

I don't (but also I never really noticed things like tearing to begin with). It was more an annoyance of "Is this monitor really 144mhz?!"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've been thinking that if we get a second stimulus check I would like to use at least $1000 of that to build a new machine. My current PC is as follows:

Intel Core I5-8600k overclocked to 5ghz (6 cores 6 threads)
16 Gig of DDR4 - 3200 G.Skill Trident Z Ram
Asus ROG Strix Z370-1 ITX Motherboard
CS650M 80 watt plus gold semi modular PSU
MSI GT 1070 Graphics Card
NZXT H200I Case
2 TB WD Blue SSD
4 TB WD Blue HDD
NZXT Kraken x52 water AIO

While I'm generally happy with the performance of my PC with games like Star Wars Squadrons, Cyberpunk 2077, and many new games coming down the pipe, I would like to upgrade. Now here is my idea:

Upgrade processer to a 9900k
Upgrade to an ATX Motherboard
Upgrade to an ATX Case (have been thinking about the Lian Li O11 Dynamic)
Upgrade to an 30 series graphics card (Probably the 80 this time instead of the 70. I have always regretted buying the 1070 and not spending the $200 or however much it was at the time for the 1080)
Upgrade to a new power supply (probably 750+)

Does this make sense or if I'm going to upgrade the Mobo and Processor should I just upgrade to something that will fit the 10 series Intel chips? Of course this is all not a big deal if we don't get stimulus checks, but just something I'm thinking about. I will probably stick with 1080p right now. I recently bought a new monitor so I have dual 1080p monitors. I think a 30 series card is probably WAYYY overkill for 1080p but I'm also thinking of "Hey maybe I get a 4k monitor down the road)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
The main reason I was wanting to stick with intel was so I could reuse my Kraken. I'm not 100% sure I still have the AMD bracket :-D

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

spunkshui posted:

Nope, you should put the money in savings and wait. That OCed cpu is not nearly close to being overwhelmed yet.

Are you 144hz on your gamming display? I would put the money there and then upgrade the gpu when it cant handle the games you want.

current case GPU Clearance: Up to 325mm

Sorry to not quote everyone else, but yes my displays are both 144 MHZ. I really really do appreciate everyone's input. I think I will probably need to get a slightly bigger power supply since I'm worried that 650 might not be enough. Which I've actually been wanting to get a SFX Power Supply for awhile. Thank you all so much!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kingnothing posted:

Are the WD Green 2.5” drives lovely as a install drive for games? Is there any real reason to get one of the WD blues over the green?

Or should I be looking at something else entirely? I get a 25% discount of the list price of the WD drives so the 500GB green is like $44.

Green's are the "bottom" line WD Drive. They are more designed for Granny's internet computer. They will still be fast, but the WD Blue has faster read / write speeds

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Green-240GB-2018-vs-WD-Blue-250GB/m377351vsm191455

I missed the part initially where you said you get a discount on WD drives. The Black is their "gaming" SSD so if you really want the fastest WD SSD for gaming I would recommend the Black.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 5, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Verviticus posted:

last time i built a computer was 2014 and then i built one a month ago and i was totally blown away at how it had somehow gotten even easier. cases in particular seem to have improved drastically

You and I could've been making this exact same post. I built a system in 2014 and 2018 and I couldn't believe how much easier it was.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I used the same case for like 10 years and when I went to build my ITX build I was blown away that modern computers didn't have disk drives.

EDIT:

This was the first case I ever bought

https://techreport.com/review/4771/antecs-lanboy-case/

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 12, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

DeadButDelicious posted:

Thanks Doom I'll do more than a 10 minute search for a thread while on a work break next time. I'll go pester the folks in that thread but you've already got me going through search engines for mice so good start. :)

Razer Viper Mini

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Sanity check:. I can get an msi rx 6700-xt for $800. I have a 1070, would I be a dumb gently caress to buy a 6700xt when I've never really dabbled in the AMD environment?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Here is my current system:

Intel Core I5-8600K (Overclocked to 4.9ghz all cores)
16gb DDR4-3200 G.skill TridentZ ram
Asus ROG Z370 Strix Gaming-I Motherboard
2TB SSD
4TB HDD
MSI 1070 graphics card

I know that graphics cards are pretty much impossible to find, but I'm starting to get into video editing and I feel like it's taxing my system. Would there be any upgrades in the $500 - $600 range that could help me encode videos faster than currently? Or since I'm new to this I just don't understand how long in general it takes to encode something.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Thank you both. I figured the answer was "More cores = better" considering that whenever I see Linus or other youtubers talking about encoding it always seems to be threadrippers or what not. I think I'm going to save and just do a big refresh of everything in the next 6 months. Thank you again!