Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marquardt-Doerksen II make it happen

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

(banging knife and fork on table) GIVE HIM A CAN! GIVE HIM A CAN!

If we can't ge the KZ vs Ortega megabrawl, I want some loving awesome poo poo to go down with him clowning on an outmatched opponent so he gets a big cool win in Korea.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Featherweight is by a wide margin the best division holy poo poo.

Non champs include
Zabit
TKZ
Ortega
Kattar
Yair
Emmett
Moicano
Burgos
Volkanovski

Like gently caress why can't other divisions have so many awesome fighters. Even the mediocre ones in there are better than 95% of the UFC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Frankie's going to die and then he'll be dead

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I still like Fitch

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

According to people on twitter, her release was announced while she was representing the UFC as a UFC + military veteran at a "UFC Are Troops" event.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The UFC is really poo poo and I'm glad that I give them as little money as I can manage while still staying up with this sport which I really like

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Starting a GoFundMe to fly Mark to Dana’s office.

:hmmyes:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had first row of the bowl dead centre once and it was great.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Rashad's brain seems fine, right?

Love that correlation between right wing conspiratorial thinking and brain damage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CRISPYBABY posted:

I think he's a better kickboxer than an MMA fighter, but MMA is where the money's at. He's better with it than he used to be, but he still leans on a super defensive high shell guard that just doesn't work that great with MMA sized gloves/also isn't the best at defending not traditional kickboxing techniques. He's willing to take shots because he tries to block them all with his arms and then gets starched when things slip through.

I'm amazed how long he and his guard held up though. Bigiboy has serious power even among heavyweights. I was expecting Reem to go down basically the first time he pulled that stunt. If he can last that long under that kind of power it's working, but against top-tier power it only needs to go wrong once.

Other things that went wrong for him were a) BB's chin held up to the 3-4 big clean shots that he landed, b) BB conserved his energy better than reem apparently expected, and c) he didn't mix up his offense. For (the as always value neutral) "whatever reason" we didn't see much of his step knees or other good clinch work. I don't see what kind of threat Bigiboy offers that Mark Hunt doesn't (maybe reach?), and the knees were there all day against Hunt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tag yourself I'm the Jesus is life tshirt

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm the Jesus is Life guy's jorts.

On topic: why is Nunes fighting De Randamie again? It's cool and good to see Nunes fight, but is she just going to victory lap all of the women she's handily defeated now?

De Randamie is the highest ranked opponent coming off of a win who Nunes hasn't already defended her title against. She also scored a really quick KO of Aspen Ladd and is on a (checks wikipedia) 5 fight win streak!

Wow. GDR's only loss since 2011, and only UFC loss, is to Nunes, if you don't include her loss of dignity and fans' goodwill after the whole FW title fiasco. It's really more of a "GDR has earned her rematch with Nunes" situation.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Is there anyone that actually thinks GDR has a chance?

Just a glance at a betting site sees it as -264/+237 ish. So somebody thinks she has a chance . No idea who that somebody is.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm actually reading a sci-fi alt history book about a hypothetical Congolese resistance starting in the 1890s. I really really want it to be good but it's merely mediocre so far.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Is that a Harry Turtledove novel?

No. It's called Everfair. It's by an African woman whose name I can't recall and can't be assed to switch phone windows to Google.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The problem is that it's headlined by the most boring fighter with the worst gimmick in UFC history, fighting an also not very exciting fighter.

If I felt as if boycotting it would send a message about covington's bullshit I'd probably not watch it at all, but I'll likely tune in eventually once my other obligations are finished that night.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dede's fight against Miletich was not a terrible performance by the era's standards. He gave the future hall of famer a tough fight. He has been a successful coach.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nothing But Hate posted:

Of the three title fights the only one I’m really looking forward to is Holloway/Volkanovski. Hoping Max pulls it off but won’t be mad if Volk wins.

The other two title fights I’ll be rooting for Covington and Nunes respectively. I don’t like Colby but Usman seems like a genuine jackass and Covington is only trying to cosplay one or something?

Cosplaying racism is still racism.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also if Colby wins he'll be main eventing more cards, so we'll have to continue to see him. He's not even Jon Fitch exciting.

Colby Covington is Jacob Volkmann with a more expensive haircut.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

I will always love Royce running out and kicking Ken Shamrock in the dick immediately.

And then admitting it was intentional after getting the TKO win.

All time best foul.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr. Abysmal posted:

This dude doing a flipping stomp to the balls in One FC.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xhw53

Also Eric Prindle vs Thiago Santos I and Eric Prindle vs Thiago Santos II

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Literally the only thing Colby did that was any good was get hit by a boomerang.

I'm equally disgusted by Conor's and Mike Perry's poo poo. I'm slightly more forgiving of Mike Perry because he's obviously dumb as gently caress.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Two months ago I posted vaguely, willie_d style, that I had some mildly interesting inside info that I'd share some day. As the thread is craving those kinds of posts right now, and it's no longer sensitive info I'll share.

I knew Olivier Aubin-Mercier had been released from the UFC a week before it was announced because his manager offered a fight to a guy I train with, and my buddy wanted my opinion on OAM. I didn't say anything at the time because messing up an ongoing negotiation and stuff isn't worth e-cred, but that doesn't matter any more.

So that's the crumb I can throw into the maw ravenous for gym drama. Perhaps an appetizer.

Oh also Jon Jones apparently whips his dick out all the time at the gym. I will not be answering any questions about that one.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

Isn't Jon Jones like mega-christian?

I won't answer that.

But remember that the file jonjones.txt also contains the phrase "Dick pills" when trying to paint a fuller picture of this in your mind.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

amenbrotep posted:

just poking fun at team alpha males reputation of being full of cali boys who appear shirtless on camera ta any opportunity possible

Is spray tan a poser thing among shirtless cali guys, as in like a tan has to be from being shirtless to be legit and only shirt-wearing desk jockeys get spray tans or go to tanning booths?

Asking seriously b/c I'm so pasty that I'd look ridiculous with any kind of tan so I know nothing about tanning.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Untrustable posted:

Colby fans on Twitter right now:

A. "He's a warrior for fighting with a broken jaw!" (conveniently forgetting what would have broken his jaw)

B. He didn't have a broken jaw, fight was called early, he was about to win the decision.

C. Wasn't going to win, but is still better than Usman.

Bonus: All the people crying "ILLEGAL STRIKES TO THE BACK OF THE HEAD! AT LEAST SIX! ZOOM IN AND SLOW DOWN THE FINISHING SEQUENCE! COLBY IS STILL CHAMP!

Colby fans are fuckin wild.

I'm still not really convinced that there are actually Colby fans and not just a bunch of sock puppets.

Was anyone from these threads at the event last night? Were ther eactually arena-wide "Colby" chants going on? I noticed part way through the fight that the levels for the commentary/crowd noise were loving goofy as if the broadcast was just cranking the crowd mics up at certain times to make it sound as if some things were louder than they actually were, and then having to rapidly turn it down when the arena got actually noisy. :tinfoil:

Also with Joe DC and Anik repeatedy saying boilerplate poo poo like "COLBY COVINGTON SURE HAS PEOPLE WHO LIKE HIM GEEZ HE'S SO LIKEABLE AND A STAR"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh this is something I noticed the other night but that post reminded me -

Alexander Volkanovzki has one of the longest proportional reaches in the UFC. If he were the same height as Jones he'd have an 82.5 inch reach.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's a bit of a rock paper scissors game right now between "mobile striker", "good leg kicker", and "wrestler",

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ilmucche posted:

Is metal mulisha related at all to the metal militia that did motocross stuff? They seemed like decent dudes.

I looked into them briefly when their iron cross and wehrmacht + skull themed poo poo started popping up in my area about a year ago. I guess they're originally a skateboard/punk apparel company which was founded in the 90s, so the whole aesthetic draws from the late 70s early 80s heavy metal style a la Motorhead, which isn't a nazi thing (though nazis have coopted it as cover).

My reading is that it's not a nazi company but it's certainly stuff which nazis are happy to wear, and they have no qualms about selling to nazis.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So now that Max isn't champ who is the coolest champ? Izzy? Or Amanda?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Augh dangit

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

Frankie is gonna die.

My prediction is that since TKZ is such a nice guy that he'll try to avoid KOing Frankie since that'd ruin Frankie's plan to have another fight in a month and be a general bother and thus the fight will end up much closer than it should be as a consequence

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BlindSite posted:

Shut up nerd.

Be fans of fighters for what they do in the cage or you're going to have a bad time 99% of the time.

And this is why I don't make a habit out of watching fighter interviews

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's too bad that they're like 5 weight classes apart because Fitch vs Cruz would be the fight of the century.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So I'm seeing lots of mma media takes on "Fighter of the decade"

Do we want to do some kind of decade-end awards thread? Maybe like 5-6 categories?

Best at fighting
Coolest fighter
Fight of the decade
Honourable mention fight of the decade
MMA story of the decade
MMA comedy of the decade

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ratios and Tendency posted:

KO's gotta be Yair vs TKZ

:mad:

Anyway, I'll make a thread specifically for this and nominations, and I'll populate the initial nominations (the categories listed, plus the ones suggested) from the previous -OTY winners.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Thread for MMA's Best & Worst of 2019 Voting & Discussion is now open - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907807

Thread for MMA's Best and Worst or 2010-2019 Nomination and Discussion is also now open https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You guys have me thinking of rejiggering the categories a bit to ditch the "Honourable mention FOTD" (since I have no nominations for it) and making "Fighter of the decade" for combined in-ring out of ring stature, and then "Best at fighting" for in-ring and "Coolest fighter" for out of ring.