Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah I have no idea about the man's personality but he's been great at doing damage control for when one or the other (mostly the one) runs his mouth and that is something I appreciate, because from the distant standpoint of "used to like PA a lot, now am totally apathetic", it's cool they're not jerks.

He was that guy. He left like four years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

lol even when it's not an image it's always loss.jpg, isn't it?

I'm going to disagree with the thread, this was good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Okay, okay, I'll accept this burden. I will be the one who is Truly Mad Online.

The Mad Arab Gets The Internet!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

weed cat posted:

we regret to inform you bum the sad was permabanned

it seems to have been overturned, I saw him in TGD recently

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pick posted:

Why do so many threads get into talking about Stephen King? Read a real book, jesus christ.

and why isn't a Stephen King novel a "real book", Pick

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

My favorite goon saga was when scientists accidentally opened a portal to some other dimension and monsters popped out and ate everybody

Doom? Doom. Doom!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pick posted:

I'm not the one who brought him up, and I did offer alternative recommendations, so this thread is just more evidence of the fact that the forum format is increasingly unhelpful as people don't actually read what's on it.

I looked at them and they were all historical texts, which aren’t a suitable alternative to most of King’s writing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Someone who’s not seeing red should write up the Something Awful Trad Games versus Zak S the shitlord saga now that it’s reached a new forums step with Ettin stepping down as Trad Games mod due to a defamation judgment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inceltown posted:

Wait what?

A shithead successfully harassed several forum members off the Internet because he didn’t like them being trans women who play RPGs. Then that shithead became a consultant for the biggest brands in the industry despite significant criticism stemming from the former. Then the shithead’s Ex girlfriend outed him as a rapist and an abuser. Now that shithead is winning defamation lawsuits against his critics in countries whose legal system he can exploit with his trust fund. He just won one against former trad games mod Ettin. I say former because Ettin stepped down as mod literally yesterday before he had to post a public apology everywhere he could as part of the judgment against him.

Thread with all the details: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919633&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Could follow up with Bechamel Boys: make each of the 5 mother sauces (and serve them on something appropriate). I'm thinking about doing Eggs Benedict tomorrow, although I don't have any ham or bacon.

Avocado? Fish steak or fillet? Lobster? Tempeh? A hash brown patty?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

I know this isn't a cooking thread but I made it this morning and it was goddamn delicious. I used lime juice in the sauce because I didn't have lemon, and lime goes well with avocado. Thanks again for recommending that.

("eww eggs and acid and fat emulsified into a sauce, yuck, how Midwestern and white")

Hell yes! I love eggs benedict and I'm glad to have inspired bringing more into the world.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alaois posted:

wait why does TFR have a mental health thread

All the other e/n threads say to lock up your guns and throw away the key, but the TFR one says it’s okay to sleep with your security pistol under your pillow

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

Could you show a post where someone in TFR says that?

that was a "joke post" on the "internet forum about jokes", april 13, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

Don't quit your day job.

yes I am very worried about losing income from the crucial demographic of "crazies with deadly weapons"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

FYAD killed that thread and I'm ever so glad that FYAD and most of those posters are gone. I'd love to see another good Feminism thread pop up. Maybe there already is one and it's in a subforum I don't visit. I don't think the ladythread counts and that thread doesn't get a lot of traffic.

the other problem was that the feminism threads were infamously full of TERFs, which was part of what kept excluding trans people and good discussions around gender

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MageMage posted:

Hell, trans threads will exclude trans people if they decide they don't like you. Which is a shame because there are times I could have really changed someone's life or, I needed help to better mine.

Yes, they get pretty cliquey at points. I don't think you're excluded for no/an insufficient reason, though.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Not sure if the LF feminism threads were TERFY, not sure how defined TERFism was by 2007-09, what I mostly remember is people being very concerned with men sitting wrong, heated arguments over whether you could really be a feminist if you wouldn't permanently give up PIV sex, and weirdly angry derails on if it was ok to bring a small baby into a loud movie, and if disagreeing made you a bad feminist.

I swear to god the juche forever folks irony poisoned themselves into being unironic DPRK lovers. I think theres a whole thing in cognitive therapy where you just repeat stuff till you believe it, and the internet is just chock loving full of examples of that working.

TERFs, while not being known so much under that term, has been a thing ever since 1979 when Janice Raymond published the Transsexual Empire and got Sandy Stone fired from Olivia Records for being trans.

I'm not sure if it was the LF thread in particular, but it's been a big problem with a lot of the SA feminism threads.

Pick posted:

A loud baby genetically engineered from Andrea Dworkin and bell hooks is exposed in a bathroom to a video game about giving up PIV sex (as indicated the the posture of one's legs). The title is "emotional labor: a mansplaining story" by Gaslight Games. They donated to an anti-abortion candidate in 1991.

I laughed. Hard. Dworkin's great.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

rooty tooty gear shifting fluidy?

Tranny (used in the non-offensive automobile transmission part way). And yes, I can confirm that story for the facepalming stupidity of it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
<-I still have red text from the posters in the trans thread turning into their own clique and trying to exile people they didn't like. Specifically I started talking about queer sexuality and politics in a way they didn't approve of, and then Koalas March backed them up. The trans stuff in TMS (previously TGRS) went quiet because Fluffdaddy became mod and said he wasn't going to let the clique run the thread or the subforum any more, so a bunch of the posters dropped off and headed for I guess that cspam offsite?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Who What Now posted:

You got the redtext because you kept posting super gross poo poo that literally nobody wanted to read.

If you're part of that contingent and you think arguing for sexual positivity and openness in queer spaces is "super gross poo poo" you have issues, whoever you are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Who What Now posted:

There's a difference between sex positivity and oversharing the details of your latest hook up.

I did absolutely nothing of the sort. Are you maybe thinking about the other poster who tried to go "hey I felt really gender euphoric and appreciated in my local queer community now that I've been to an orgy?" Who also got shut down, etc etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Serious question Arivia: since you strongly feel that people are misrepresenting your posts in that thread and most people can't check to decide for themselves, have you tried messaging a couple mods or posting in QCS to ask if a mod or admin or two could review the exchange now that things have calmed down a bit, and reexamine the thread ban and general stigma its attached to you? I know "lol time to get judged by a tribunal of mods" sounds a bit absurd but at this point it can't be any dumber than arguing back and forth with people every time this incident gets mentioned.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm less concerned with my reputation more than how it illustrated the issues with the clique in that thread.

Speaking of, the thread ban was actually lifted by Fluffdaddy when he revamped the thread, and I haven't had any issues since; it was very specifically and clearly that one group trying to treat the TGRS thread as "their safe space" and using Koalas March to back them up that didn't like me.

The problem was that what I was discussing is a contentious but worthwhile issue to discuss in queer and trans communities; for example, Pick I know has an infraction on her rap sheet for arguing the other side of it (that queer spaces like pride events need to be less sexually open and more "family friendly".) This is why I brought it up specifically in what was the trans news and discussion thread at the time, to discuss with other trans posters in a trans space; instead the clique decided they didn't want to have a discussion at all and just shouted to shut it down.

Issues like this can be misrepresented outside of queer spaces, which is simultaneously why I'm wary of getting mods to review it and what I think Koalas March got caught up in. If you're not familiar with the history of the issue or what people are talking about, if you just see the posters you're familiar with, a shitton of reports, and a single poster (me) who seems to be posting very objectionable poo poo (from a straight perspective) that the rest of the thread dislikes, then it's a slamdunk which side to go with. Koalas March was fairly open about how she was interacting with the clique off the forums on Discord or whatever (since this was about the time of DEEP UNDERCOVER NAZI MOD), and I don't think she had the background or the understanding to realize that she wasn't creating a safe space for most or all trans posters, just the ones she believed were acceptable or her friends.

Getting another mod to look it over runs the risk of the same thing happening again, and I already served a month+ over it. How Wonderful! might be worth approaching about it, since she's trans, has the background, and was involved in the original discussion anyway, but I'm just inclined to let it lie. I'm more trying to inform people about how much of a mess the thread has been, and the direct pressure that lead to the trans contingent on SA fracturing so hard and so fast. Someone called it catladies turning on each other recently, and that's pretty correct.

(PS: Koalas March not being trans is also why a bunch of the trans posters were skeptical of Fluffdaddy, who came into the thread really early and started trying to throw his weight around as an IK, making some really stupid posts that showed he had no understanding of trans communities. That also contributed to the trans posters being skeptical of him when he became mod, but to his credit he just laid down some ground rules for the thread so it couldn't be so cliquish and handed over day to day moderation to there wolf as thread IK, who is trans, and seems to be doing an okay job with it.)

e: it's worth mentioning that I never actually broke the thread or forum rules as part of this; I brought up an issue to discuss civilly, got shouted down and told I was "making people uncomfortable" by the clique (again, treating a discussion thread as their personal safe space), then got repeatedly probated by Koalas March for asking her what the gently caress she was doing when she immediately took their side and acted to protect them. It really felt like their private Discord must have been all upset and I was being punished for that instead of anything actually in the thread.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 18, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

So I know about Zak S and get Trad Games' new subtitle but was there anything in a specific thread that spurred making that the subtitle now, or did an admin just decide to?

Zak won a lawsuit against Ettin and forced him to post a public apology in a bunch of places including here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919633&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I also suspect it was a requirement for Ettin to step down as trad games mod, since that happened literally the day prior.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jippa posted:

Did Zak S post on SA?

Way back when yes. He tried to take on his critics and got banned for being a boring rear end in a top hat. Cyrano unbanned him in the thread I linked in case he wanted to come back and make a fool of himself.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Passengers isn't a rom-com but was very hosed up in that way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

weed cat posted:

know who else had a really high position in gemany in the 30s? that's right,

magnus hirschfeld?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Continuing the religion derail, a few years back, my wife and I finally joined our local Unitarian Universalist congregation. It's kinda the best of both worlds for us - a church service and community made up of like 50% atheists, 30% pagans and pantheists, and 20% progressive Christians. It's full of college professors, local activists, etc. Highly recommended if you are looking for a church-like community that isn't trash.

It's helped me be less of an Edgy Internet Atheist even though it's fun to play the role sometimes online. And the kids' programs are top-notch; imo all kids should go through OWL classes.

Yesssss. UU is great!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

purple death ray posted:

He hates every second of it

that means it's actually a fetish, not just a kink

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Final Seraph84 posted:

I take my meds religiously, I even have a little weekly medicine box so I never miss a day!

BTW it's pretty condescending to tell a person with mental illness to take their meds! You shouldn't do that.

As one person with mental illness to another person with mental illness take your loving meds dude

And by meds I mean get the gently caress away from the forums for your own good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Considering his sexual preferences I think the number should be reduced

now there's a REAL simp for you

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

No, it is still locked but with new posts, so....

it's a post by sebmojo, who's a mod, so I imagine they're still talking in there a bit in wherever mod secret place it went

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Cards with borders are under maritime law, and YOU CAN'T MARITIME LAW SPACEGODZILLA

no, but he is subject to the comprehensive rules, sections 2, 302, 4, 5, 6, and 7. :smuggo:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lord Garmadon posted:

Maybe unfair, but the "eat the rich" narrative in those threads felt tacked-on to me. I didn't follow them outside the drama, to be fair, but I remember those threads as if they pre-dated the "eat the rich" narrative, which made the later development of it come across to me, as a bit of an excuse for the death-pool stuff that people had been doing in earlier editions of the threads anyway. We weren't talking some Washington fat-cats or captain's of industry either, so I sort of think you might as well pretend that being financially able to go to Disneyworld and getting crushed by the Teacup ride is somehow karmic.

I could be wrong for sure, but when subs and threads veer into "mock thread" territory, I sorta think that narratives often develops like that, in order to justify some of the worse behavior. Like, the fat-mocking threads pretended to also have an angle about helping people with "tough love" and setting the record straight re; "healthy at any size" stuff, and idk, it just come across as an excuse.

There was a solid content, too, and it isn't fair to mark the threads out as worse than other stuff. I think maybe the reason the threads got more flak than like Darwin Award or the Schadenfreude threads, wasn't because it was actually worse, but because the OPs were more or less copy-pasted yearly and may have been going on for like +5 years, if not more than a decade, and had become front-loaded with some of the worse stuff, like the picture of the Canadian woman's corpse. People just stopping by and just reading the OP probably saw the worst of it, I'd guess, and not really the neat stuff. Like, there was a bad rear end Polish climber and his story ruled, and it also *is* funny that someone thought that they could train for the climb by photo-shopping themselves to stand on top of the mountain.

The not very rare example of an on-site sub or in-thread community being largely fine, but sort of failing to just get rid of the dumbest poo poo when prompted by the surrounding forums, was my impression.

The other thing to realize is that the "eat the rich" mentality was very much informed by the subject material, it didn't come out of nowhere. Reading secondary or primary sources about Everest makes it very clear, very quickly that there's a big problem with rich people paying to climb the biggest mountain in the world without any preparation or experience, that there are conflicting narratives about this (for example, the OG rich lady who's said to have brought an espresso machine up the mountain with her in In Thin Air was defended by her climb leader as being much more qualified than Krakauer made her out to be), and that capitalism, race, and class are big issues regarding the whole situation.

Death pools were maybe a bit ghoulish but the frustrating discussion of inequality that a lot of goons attached onto as being Bad really was justified, especially as things just got stupider and stupider (epitomized by Shriya Shah-Klorfine, Ms. Photoshop Her Way Up The Mountain.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

L&O is pretty messed up, OP

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I too remember when Adam Schlesinger passed away and everyone posted all of the lyrics to Stacey's Mom on mental health thread for no goddamn reason.

tbh I did post his other band Ivy in the PYF dead musicians thread shortly after because IVY WAS BETTER

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

*deep sigh*

First things first, here's the perma'd mods using this method. I did my best to strip out the IKs but some of them I'm not sure. I know most of these stories but if someone wants to explain the more obscure ones, I'm all ears.
code:
+------------+--------------------+
| userid_req | username           |
|      14902 | happyelf           |
|      22120 | zen death robot    |
|      26473 | radium             |
|      27125 | NotJust4Breakfast  |
|      27201 | McCaine            |
|      29266 | HELLO.JPG          |
|      30183 | peenworm           |
|      31459 | Shmorky            |
|      34129 | cheeyckeku         |
|      42894 | Indian War Chief   |
|      49669 | shivadas           |
|      59332 | Aatrek             |
|      63102 | Blue Dad Sucks!!   |
|      83177 | Marxux             |
|      98156 | SpankinSteve       |
|     119284 | Party Plane Jones  |
|     120530 | HondaRider271      |
|     133579 | neonnoodle         |
|     134451 | Bobbie Wickham     |
|     141601 | gnarlyhotep        |
|     153069 | WorstAyatollahEver |
|     153147 | WORST ADMIN EVER   |
|     158362 | SilverSliver       |
|     158420 | AVBrafaDiMatteo    |
|     164480 | D_Smart            |
|     180070 | a star war betamax |
|     185906 | Joey Vapes         |
|     193027 | El Spider          |
|     216359 | LadyAmbien         |

I am 99% sure happyelf was an IK, I can check with Winson who would know for sure if you want me to.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

Become an Idiot King instead. You only have one thread to worry about but it's more than enough to satisfy your inner desire to be a petty tyrant.

And sometimes you wake up in the morning, see 75 new posts in the thread, and say to yourself "oh god no." But then you read the thread and it's all interesting and informative discussion! I lost my job yesterday so this was a very pleasant surprise that I needed!

:smith: I hope you're able to find another one soon and stay in a good place, Moon Slayer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I believe that there are only 11 people that post here, all the other
200,000+ accounts are alts and re-regs.

and the other 10 of you loving SUCK

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

name since changed to atomiq, hasn't posted since 2019.

I know there were quite a lot of...creative names registered in the 2000s especially the series of "X CURES Y" in GiP where X would be "white phosphorous" and y would be some slur for middle easterners. There's the famous "i'm permabanned poster niggerstomper58" as well.

Have mods/admins ever forced name changes on accounts with slurs in them as a corrective measure or just banned the account?

I was dating a goon for awhile and now my phone thinks I want to autocomplete all words beginning with n to niggerstomper58 after I sent her so many bad references

e: welp. this is a hell of a snipe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
can your account drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

2003, but ditto. I was intimidated because I didn't realize yet how much cooler I am than everyone else. It's okay, I know it now! :downs: P.S. I put my underpants on inside-out today.

so you really are tina fey, basically