Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

endlessmonotony posted:

Does it need to be explained why it's wrong when we have evidence people won't do it and a list of their reasons?

Yes. Because I'm not the DNC, and you're not the amalgam canonical voter in chuck schumers head. We're individuals making individual actions and we're permitted to analyze our own actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Shot: https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2007/sep/30/featuresreview.review11

Chaser: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/trump-hillary-clinton-populist-right-left-democratic-party-civil-war-a8975121.html

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Monochrome posted:

let me know when the democratic party and everyone spending the last year posting hashtag believewomen is honest about their actions in this election putting the lie to what they say and actually admit that they believe that yes, there is a powerful man that a woman can't cross, and that man is <insert democratic party presidential candidate>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ZNmYJo_lE

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I read that reply 3 times I can't parse it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fart simpson posted:

everyone draws a line in the sand they won't cross. why is yours better than mine?

The problem with this is that non-participation has a moral weight to it. It's not fair to say that people who vote are guilty for all the actions of the candidate and that people who stay home aren't guilty of anything.

In reality, total political non-action is the least moral thing you can do. I'm not saying that you personally don't take political action outside of voting, but that this is the problem with the argument in the general case.

Inaction is action

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Everybody knows that you can't live in America without participating in capitalism. You read all over that there's no ethical consumption under capitalism. I believe as well that there is no moral vote under capitalism, but as well not voting is a type of participation with the same weight and the same moral problems. Now with all the moral problems being equal, and now I'm already here voting for the down ballot candidates, how can I justify not voting against trump? I don't think I can.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Democrat in this race told people not to vote for him, and they didn’t.

So now you do everything joe tells you like an obedient dog?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

endlessmonotony posted:

There's a lot of things worse. Joe Biden has done a lot of them.

Obviously I meant in terms of voting...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i don't understand this level of freakout

like in 2008 sure i can understand because the dems swept

but they still have the courts and the senate. literally nothing is going to change

trump supporters have no policy goals or political motivations hth

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
MAGAmen say "oh the left has no real critique of trump, its just orange man bad". Just plug that into the universal law of conservative projection and you'll realize that the entire reason they like trump is actually 'orange man good' and there is no policy piece to it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

qirex posted:

I’ve always been annoyed at fixations on celebrity in politics but it’s obvious some people need the single hero to root for. like yeah bernie is great but I thought it’s weird he doesn’t have a bench of people behind him and he’s just kind of a lone crank in the senate but then I realized that’s part of his appeal

So what you're saynig is bernie is just like trump but for the left.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

They found out that she was going to charge them money.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have to share this or I might die and this was the only place I could think of.

Last night my boss sent out a page to every person on the team at 9pm. There was no issue, but he "wanted to test our readiness and see how long each person took to check-in".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sagebrush posted:

i would also accept seeing an f-250 covered in trump flags get blown to smithereens by the M1028 canister round, which is an anti-personnel/anti-helicopter munition, packed with over 1,000 tungsten balls.

or alternately we could use the M908 Obstacle Defeating Round, based on the M830A1 MPAT, but with the proximity fuse replaced by a hardened nose cap. The cap allows the round to impact and embed itself in concrete, then exploding inside the target and causing more damage.

or of course there is always the option of shooting the f-250 covered in trump flags with the Laser Homing Anti-Tank (LAHAT) projectile.[2] Using a semi-active laser homing guidance method, the LAHAT can be guided by the tank's crew or by teams on the ground, while the missile's trajectory can be selected to either attack from the top (to defeat enemy armor) or direct attack (to engage enemy helicopters)

Or just use a sharp car key on the paint like a true patriot.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

President Beep posted:

yeah, i know, millions of people like that out there. still fun to just stumble across one though.

Some nut is going to minecraft the vaccine storage lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DELETE CASCADE posted:

imo this would be better as a how it started, how it's going

*checks notes* that meme sucks poo poo

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
*Takes a look at collection of heckin chonker photos* that meme sucks

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How it stared: fiestacat
How its going: how it started/how it's going

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's been a meme for years about how there's a Trump piss tape out there and the joke of it all is that it wouldn't matter if there were. If the Trump piss tape came out tomorrow, piss parlors would open all over red state America and real American patriots would be drinking piss and talking about how much they love it. Mitt Romney would say the tape is troubling, but powerful men have strange needs and nothing illegal is happening.

It came out like two years ago and people just said "well, it can't be real because he's the president" and that was that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The my pillow guy has assured me its not a big deal.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Roosevelt posted:

the US national debt at this point is such an abstract concept to me. it's like trying to hear the sound of a color. i used to think a debt was something you pay back, but now what. ok you guys want your 27 trillion dollars back? suck my red white and blue balls!

It does get paid back.

If you buy a bond you will get paid in full.

The real poo poo about the debt is that its almost 100% owned by american people and businesses. The debt is an income source for all kinds of investors and retirement funds. It would actually cause severe problems if it were eliminated for this reason.

The way to think about the debt is that its a redistribution mechanism. We should see cash going out as neither good or bad. It just depends who gets taxed and who gets the bond returns.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It owns that we are rules by a group of dying boomers.

They aren't boomers. Look at when Nancy was born.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its true, but then its free money and the government should borrow more. Anyone who can borrow at 0% would be a fool not to.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If someone runs over people with a car the first step is to arrest them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Truman Peyote posted:

any prosecution of trump is ultimately just the impeachment all over again: something liberals can use to try to slow the frenzy they've been in since 2016, to try to feel like things are """normal""" again, which is what they really want because they didn't have a fundamental problem with the status quo back then. you can execute trump by guillotine on the national mall and the march toward general penury and collapse will continue.

It doesn't matter - It's the right thing to do so we should try anyway. gently caress those ghouls, I don't give a poo poo if its "going to work" by whatever lame metric you have in mind. Do it anyway.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Truman Peyote posted:

my problem isn't that it won't work. my problem is that it's backwards-looking. if one could do it for free then yes, they should do it because it's right, but there is a cost - it's time and political capital that could be spent undermining the future success of billionaires and reactionaries

that's obviously assuming that one has power to affect either punishing trump or sabotaging the right, though, and i surely don't

Political capital doesn't exist. It's more fake than the US debt. Have you ever heard a republican talk about running out of political capital? What a loving joke...It's like driving for nascar and explaining that you can't press the gas pedal too much because the fans might get bored.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

echinopsis posted:

time will tell i suppose. american news never shows anything that doesn’t support their narrative so how could you know or trust things are or aren’t happening? don’t mean to sound conspiracy theorist i just have little faith in their journalistic integrity
Weird because you're repeating OANN talking points.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fart simpson posted:

good thing that wasnt a serious weapon, like a nuke

A MOAB is 11 tons TNT equivalent compared to nine million tons TNT equivalent for the B53 nuclear bomb deployed by the US.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The smallest nuclear bomb ever designed, the size of a 2 liter soda bottle, is 10 times more destructive than the MOAB.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SmokaDustbowl posted:

and nobody will use it because it's a loving stupid thing to do

Yes, nuclear weapons are tools of genocide and have no real military application. The people that support their use or development generally do it because they don't fully understand just how destructive they are.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If I had a job that made people throw trash at me I would think about getting a new job.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I read TCC enough to know not to touch benzos, opiates, or stims. Booze is dangerous enough and then everything else is pretty safe in comparison.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DELETE CASCADE posted:

"full communism now" is fun to argue on the internet, but it signals you're not having a serious discussion, one that is even in conversation with reality

"Sir, if you don't stop drinking you will be dead within a year. You need to enter rehab!"

"Well that's fun to argue about but it signals that you're not having a serious discussion, one that is even in conversation with reality"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Captain Foo posted:

what if we changed it into universal bonghit income

This would cause lung inflation.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If its any consolation its very profitable to break apart communities and isolate people which is why stocks are way up from covid.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It already exists its called only farmers but you have to be all those things plus a farmer though thats the one catch.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My work announced that we're never going back to full time office work. I should probably move...somewhere.

I worked with a guy once that told me every city is basically exactly the same. He said "just move anywhere cheap and its the people you know that matters not anything to do with the city". I think he's probably onto something but at this point I don't know anyone in real life.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
All I want is to live somewhere nice, not too dense like gently caress downtown NYC or Chicago for example, but like you can ride a bike to a dentist, doctor, grocery store, park to run at. Um

I think that's everything I need. A library? Some mountains maybe, and oh bortle 2-3 skies within 40 miles by bicycle.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Truman Peyote posted:

if you don't have roots just pick the place that seems like the most fun and go hog wild

Yeah but where is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/DudeDra/status/884858900708814848