Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Wait, those loving commas ARE periods :psyduck: Jesus, I was so confused because I looked at them as thousands first and I figured they're decimals and they used commas for some reason but they're actually PERIODS??? Why the hell are there decimals to the thousandths?

gently caress this UI, god drat it. Everything is so wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

So far, gigs are my favorite part of the game. Each one is a nice bite size Deus Ex mission that rewards looking around for non obvious approaches.

The structure in this game is basically what I always wanted out of Deus Ex. Open world with some cordoned off big/main quest stuff.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Isn't that the US notation?

Yes, my point was they look nothing like periods. It reads as small comma for decimals and a bigger comma for delimiting thousands.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Judy sucks, she’s like if Edward from Cowboy Bebop grew up and became more annoying. Every moment she needs my help is a moment I could be blowing up cactuses with my sweet Panam.

https://youtu.be/48OL4Mlj7gg

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Feels good to kill the poo poo out of the Voodoo Boys

Doesn't feel good to not be able to tell Judy that I found Evelyn's killers and killed the poo poo out of them

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
lol the speed at which the controversy around this game died down has given me whiplash

I don't follow AAA games at launch so experiencing it first hand is way different than just knowing about it.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
literally no reason not to kick Placide's rear end since you can spare him anyway

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
The criticism that Cyberpunk doesn't have a lot (or anything depending where you're coming from) to say isn't completely true but has some validity to it. I haven't put my every living moment to going through everything in the game and analyzing everything etc. but one problem I can see myself having is that most of the messaging in the game is basically just something that you already agree with it unless you're a massive piece of poo poo. Corporate exploitation pretty bad, amirite? Maybe we should improve society somewhat?

The problem with this is what a recent CCK Philosophy video touched upon about the Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_fxwLBSFo&t=1576s

The Simpsons had some pretty strong messaging in the 90s but the problem with that also was that it came to you by Rupert Murdoch monetizing it. Your subversive messaging in Cyberpunk has been monetized by some polish investors, corporate scam artists and endless amounts of worker exploitation. And it also hires a musician who's the partner of an apartheid emerald mine owners failson. That feels pretty capitalist realism to me.

I guess it's all worth it if the message is very radical? Is it?

Still love the game but thinking too much about what got us Cyberpunk puts a real dent in my enjoyment and makes it harder to look past the warts. The last thing that bothered my immersion very hard was seeing the cop who commits suicide because of depression and PTSD, Barry's model pretty much everywhere if you just walk in Kabuki or Little China.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

So yeah, of course in practical terms is 'capitalism realism', the game isn't about living in a hippy commune.

lol me riding to the sunset with Panam and Judy would like to have a word with you

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
There's so much stuff in the game that feels was cut with a heavy hand RE: story stuff

I would have liked to see Adam Smasher be fleshed (heh) out more. He basically appears twice (or three times if you count the past) in the game which seems really odd when he's the final boss for most endings. I guess he has that secret hidey hole but lol if you find that organically

On an unrelated note:
I wish I could sit down with Judy/River and watch TV or whatever.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Twibbit posted:

Know what would actually be a good online mode for this game. Cyberpunk payday

lol I thought of Payday too but mostly because that game has it share of really stupid jank as well. It would be cool though.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Veks posted:

just lol that the gay male romance option is locked behind having jhonny do straight poo poo with v's body and rogue's romance quests. and also that he's the character thats the most removed from the main story of the four love interests, appearing only in act 3, too. no wonder people dont even talk about him when talking about the romances, he's hidden away behind a ton of poo poo.

lmao holy poo poo, just absolutely tone deaf

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Like what? If you were a CDPR Dev and had been given 2 years to fully realize the open world of Night City, what would you have put there to keep players from feeling like there was nothing to do?

Gambling? Mini games with your choombas? Anything. Like you get to be with Jackie just enough to bond with him and he gets merced instantly. The game has pointless hooker scenes that you pay money for. That's one step away from blackjack and hookers.

I really appreciate the lengths that the devs went to realizing this world but feel a bit underwhelmed when I'm functionally just playing a broken Far Cry game.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

What would gambling really add? You say the game is already one step away from gambling and hookers. Its like, you're saying the game is bad because it doesn't have gambling, but its also bad because it does have hookers and they're pointless.

Doesn't putting 2 and 2 together there draw the conclusion that if they did implement gambling, it would be shallow and feel pointless?

lol

No, I'm not saying the game is bad because they didn't add gambling. Read the posts you're answering to please. Being underwhelmed doesn't mean something is bad. If they're going to add all the pointless poo poo like awkward sex scenes for virtual money and a gun closet that shows you iconics then why not add other immersive poo poo? Are you arguing for leaving this deeply immersive RPG world at the depth of a Far Cry game?

Some of you really seem to have trouble understanding that people really love playing immersive RPGs like they're immersive RPGs and not just endless bespoke shooting galleries with story elements and broken RPG systems. I speak as a person who liked chilling with buddies in GTA 5. It's content and a can be a nice break of pace from the endless shooting, looting and shard reading.

And I'm not arguing that the game absolutely needs any of this, I was answering a question with incredibly simple examples because the game already has similar pointless functions.

Zaphod42 posted:

The standard some of y'all seem to be holding Cyberpunk to is one that would leave literally every video game ever made wanting. There is no game that does what some of you seem to want. Its just not feasible.

This isn't some long lost forgotten art. New Vegas was made in 18 months and had more stuff to do. You're selling the devs really short here.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

It's funny, how for the first 80 hours I didn't have that much of a problem with the game, and now that I'm trying it to finish it I'm having more issues.

It do be like that sometimes. First time I played Sinnerman, I finished it in one sitting with zero problems (apart from the jank). Second time had me hit an invisible car that left me frozen midair during the chase. Stepping outside the cop car and jumping over it, made the car Team Rocket to the stratosphere giving me a star, spawning angry cops and failing the mission. lol

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Zeta Acosta posted:

what the gently caress is dunkey and why some people are writing about it like im supposed to know what it is

he is a youtube

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Funny thing is that gambling is a legitimate way to make money in New Vegas if you have a build with high luck. lol

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's weird. Nothing in even stuff like New Vegas has actually had the emotional impact on me that Cyberpunk has so far. Looking back on it in fact alot of RPG games, Vegas included, feel more like academic exercises of dry presentation, punctuated by something witty I feel I can have a sensible chuckle about. There's honestly something sincere and genuinely resonant for me about things in Cyberpunk that I haven't felt from a game in quite a while.

Some parts made me a bit emotional in New Vegas but nothing like I've experienced with Cyberpunk. Some of the endings just wrecked me. The experience is immaculate and my gripes have been with the "game" from the start.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, few people would dispute that within Cyberpunk 2077 is a very good 30 hour, linear story. I myself ranked it the fifth favorite game I played in 2020! If CP2077 were nothing but a series of quest hubs that connected the main plot, character missions, and a few of the more involved sidequests, it would have been a stronger product on balance. But CP2077 tacks on a bunch of systems, whether through the open world or the illusion of a deeply reactive and immersive roleplaying system that either flat-out don't work, are shown to be much shallower than advertised, or are superfluous to the experience. The drop in quality is so immediately noticeable that it weakens one's overall impression of the whole. This is what people have been calling attention to, in pretty rational and well-reasoned arguments, that are usually met with "la la la I'm having fun no GTA NO GTA!"

It's this for me. The rushed and broken gameplay implementation severely waters down the great execution of the story, art and the game world.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Chalks posted:

It again depends entirely what you're expecting and are interested in. I was expecting a rich story with great characters set against a cyberpunk backdrop and that's exactly what was delivered. The other mechanics don't water down the experience because they're not a big part of the game for me. If the game had the best driving implementation ever I'd still avoid driving as much as possible because I don't want to play a driving game. Maybe the npcs are complex simulations leading complex lives or maybe they're a facade that disappear as soon as my back is turned - guess I'll never know because I don't care enough to glance at them for more than a second.

The bugs suck, especially when they impact the missions or story, and the map needs to do a much better job of highlighting actually good missions as opposed to garbage filler and loving used car sales, but there are no fundamental flaws I've found that diminished the game for me.

This is good but you should have closed it with "you just wanted GTA" to make it thread compliant.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, I didn't even understand what I was looking at before I read quoted spoiler.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
While I'm a bit disappointed with Judy's post romance content (couple of voice lines and that's about that), it still makes me very :3: and :syoon: when she texts me and calls me her "calabacita".

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

You guys I played this game for 75 hours then spent another 10 hours watching the game on YouTube then I spent a week and a half posting about it all day and I just wanted to let you know, over and over again, that the game is bad and disappointing and unfinished and very, extremely bad, which is why I spent 100 hours of my life playing it and talking about it all day. It’s a terrible game and I’ll probably only play it again a few more times and buy the DLC day 1, just to see how bad it is.

:discourse:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Next up we make steak & hamburger analogies.

lol you say this but

The knife is all the games art content, assets, writing, music etc and the rest is the game mechanics.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s just hard to keep up with newfangled takes like “I played the game and liked it, but then watched all the endings on YouTube and decided it was bad” or “this game has cars and missions, so it should have been a GTA game”.

Maybe just engage with the takes that are worthwhile to engage with?

No, let's just get really angry and shitpost endlessly about caricatures.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't really get the claims of a good story and characters, where are they? Who are they?

I guess that's pretty subjective not to like them? I love Judy, Jackie, Vik and like most of the big characters. They all have clearly defined strengths, flaws, interests and they're very well animated, voice acted etc. Like objectively, they're very well made. Judy has an arc you can participate in and you learn a lot about what makes her tic.

If you think they're "not good", it's totally up to you but the characters and story is the stuff I love a lot about this game and what's keeping me in.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

sean10mm posted:

For me personally it's telling that every time someone names a game to critically compare Cyberpunk to, it's a game that I think is complete dogshit to actually play compared to Cyberpunk.

I get this but most people probably (especially me) don't probably have nuanced enough opinions about games, writing and art in general not to voice their opinions without comparisons. And it doesn't really help the thread when some people kramer in to these comparisons with the most uncharitable readings of them with "OH, you compare this to what I think is poo poo? YOU MUST LIKE poo poo, HUH"

sean10mm posted:

New Vegas was also a game that was only properly finished after a long string of patches and DLCs which followed a launch decried by the gaming media as a buggy omnishamles. And then a corporation hosed everyone involved in actually constructing that world over.

I get this as well and time will only tell what gets fixed or added in the future and what happens in general. Sure would have been nice that a game with the manpower, time and budget as Cyberpunk and CDPR would have delivered a bit more on the stability and polish front but like with New Vegas, a lot of it wasn't in the devs hands. I'm hoping that CDPR didn't have their bug tracking on post it notes but you never know. Much like the base release, I have hope but no expectations.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

This thread is also a textbook example of how utterly meaningless RPG has become.

This game has

Character Level
Attribute Points
An infamy level that gates content based on your reputation
In-depth weapon and armor itemization & crafting
Over a hundred skill/perks that can dramatically impact or completely change your playstyle (and a bunch of useless ones)
Cybernetic enhancements that can completely alter or change your playstyle entirely
Branching dialogue trees
A massive open world that is partially level-gated

and yet for many posters ITT, these don’t add up to an RPG, because one or more of these isn’t robust or centralized enough.

This game is as much of an RPG as Deus Ex, The Witcher 3, Dishonored, or Fallout, IMO, it literally has everything any FPSRPG I can think of has except for, like, weapon durability?

RPG for me was almost always a meaningless term and mostly it seems to make everyone just confused. Most modern Ubisoft games implement some if not all features on that list but they're not "RPG"s. Those are all game/system mechanics and you can make an RPG with almost zero of those features.

RPG for me has always been about world building and immersion and good systemic and game mechanics are the glue that holds it together.

I mean I try to withhold my posting from doing purity tests about "what's a true RPG" because I don't actually know and don't give that much of a poo poo. I just want to forget myself in fictional relationships, politics and intrigue and hopefully have a smooth gaming experience while I'm at it. Cyberpunk did one those extremely well and the other serviceably enough to have FUN™.

e. I remember having a conversation in my teenage years with a friend who told me that Fallout wasn't an RPG because it didn't have magic and sword fighting etc in it like Diablo II. I tried telling him that he was confusing fantasy with RPG lol

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 25, 2020

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Artelier posted:

Finished with my first character, female V. Loved the conclusion, though I'm slightly miffed that the final pre-credits shot was me with Panam and not my lover Judy.

Yup. I was pretty much just "What the gently caress are you doing here???"

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

columborumble posted:

There are multiple sources that all coordinate the same story of Keanu Reeves wanting a bigger role in the game in the middle of its development and that requiring the studio to shuffle things around for him to fit (along with unverified claims by anonymous devs in interviews that production was "rebooted"), so it doesn't seem like speculation that it happened; moreso that the speculation would be on which parts were affected by the rewriting of the story.

If that's true then that's a real drat shame. I like Keanu/Johnny but I would have traded his part for more coherence and not just getting 90% of the cast from the first third of the game unceremoniously dumped. Especially because the Johnny's past stuff just got in the way on my second playthrough. Hopefully mods can make them skippable.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

In the Johnny/Rogue ending your love interest always breaks up with you no matter what so that's somewhat disappointing.

I think that's the whole point of it because you're choosing the fame/fortune at the expense of everyone important in your life. The game doesn't really telegraph this to you though in an obvious way (unless you pay really close attention and remember everything in your first 30h playthrough?), I chose the smash 'saka ending first because I didn't think it wouldn't make huge moral choices for you because of that. Nope! V is incredibly materialistic now, I guess.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
And still that's not to say I haven't had an overall good time with the game. Too bad it's just a missed opportunity after missed opportunity. So much legitimately good poo poo just to kind of fall flat on it's face or rear end in other respects. I can get similar "this could have been better" feelings with most games because that's natural but the differences with CP2077 have been way more extreme.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It doesn't even make sense for the game to frame the end choices that way because you don't know if the Nomads are going to survive the assault on Arasaka and if you really liked Panam then you wouldn't want to risk her life, either. Yet this is somehow the glory hound option?

I can see where the "this game has no meaningful choices" criticism comes from. You have choice over your initial actions sure but the game just kind of takes over for you then and explains to you "well, here's where that lead to" with no input from you even if there could have been a lot of input to be given.

You can explain that away with "no time to implement" I guess but then it just circles back again to the argument where the game was kneecapped by it's management/investors/whatever.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

piL posted:

The Sun Ending spoilers:

I think that is left in the interim. Basically, V knows she has six months left and is trying to destroy herself to put distance between her loved one, get killed before the stuff kills her, and as a desperate attempt to avoid mortality by becoming a legend in Night City. A Homeric trope. She's an addict either trying to self-medicate, self-destruct, or both by edgerunning until the job burns her. The ending's use of the word Glory is not as a good thing; Glory is V's drug of choice as she crumbles under existential dread of her mortality.

Well summarized.

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, the problem is that's totally not how the end choice is framed on the balcony though.

Exactly. You can't logic your way in to the endings the game shows you just by the information presented to you before the choice and that lead to feelings of betrayal more than anything else.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i never thought id go shiny

but my gently caress am i shiny now

The game nails shiny clothes really well.

Too bad about the stupid loving armor system that's tacked on with it lol

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Why would you want to craft 200 grenades?

:chloe:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

afkmacro posted:

I feel like everyone who complains about the npcs are going out of their way to peek behind the curtains to see how the sausage is made.

I'm wondering what you mean by peaking around the curtains in an open world game where all the civilian NPCs strictly exist in a 20 feet half bubble in front of the player.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Eraflure posted:

What is it with this thread and GTA V? :psyduck:

Someone suggesting that other games might have done something better than Cyberpunk 2077 and that Cyberpunk's open world might have had the chance to be elevated by learning from other open world games is sending some goons into tantrum spirals lol

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Delizin posted:

DLC 1: Chilling with your Choombas
V can call up all his buds and just hang out doing mundane poo poo instead of wanton slaughter for once. Just engage in minigames like go karts, bowling, volleyball, minigolf, or whatever.

Guaranteed to win over the people who complained this game wasn't a real life replacement.

I don't get why there are so many people opposed to this. I loved the part where I was sitting in a bar with Jackie getting to know him more and wished there was more of stuff like that. Jokes on me for wanting to get to know more of the characters the developers crunched to realize I guess.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I think Delizin is more specifically calling out the people asking for minigames ala bowling. (like the post says). Wanting to hang with Jackie is very cool and good. Wanting to throw horseshoes with him is maybe a little questionable.

When if anything in GTA4 the constant "HEEEEY NICOOO COUSINNNN LETS GO BOWLING BIG AMERICAN TITTY" was actually super annoying and few people even engaged with it

Sure, that's reasonable. It's not just minigames though even though I talked about those before or what even counts as a minigame. More racing with the cars would have been cool and could be a minigame. I said gambling before, but I obviously don't mean "Please use 40 000 dev hours to implement a casino", more like, just have a blackjack table at one of the cool night clubs in the game. It's more par for the internet of course to just engage in mindless hyperbole about how SOME PEOPLE just OBVIOUSLY wanted a one to one representation of life and the world itself. They don't need to do that. Just add interactive small touches that make the world more believable.

Like the game lacks now the 3rd person animations required for player character reflections, there's no barbershops, no car modding, clothing stores are just the lovely inventory UI. Would have been swell if you could model your character while you're trying out clothes like in Watchdogs (or ... *gasp* ... GTA). All of these things add to the immersion and making the world more believable and not just a shooting gallery for the biggest cyberpsycho in the universe.

And all of these suggestions are probably just piss in the wind because they probably had plans for a lot of that kind of stuff but were just forced to cut because of the rushed release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

piL posted:

I really hope they did not have plans for writing another poker/blackjack/roulette for any purpose other than to train the new guy that just got hired.

There's probably a copy paste solution of one on Stack Overflow somewhere.