Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Takanago posted:

I hope there's a lot of cool alt-ideology flags for every single country like in victoria 2

See this post Paradox! Do this!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I’ve been waiting patiently for this for a long time. I can’t wait to build the german empire and win WW1

This unironically

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pakled posted:

That seems like a sensible way to handle it. In my experience, the #7, #8, sometimes even #5 and #6 GP slots in Vicky 2 are often really marginal powers that realistically don't have any business being considered in the same league as the other GPs.

I mean Austria Hungary and Italy didn't exactly rank in real history compared to the big boys

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BgRdMchne posted:

I could easily gp Belgium with only expanding in Africa and concentrating on boosting prestige by going for early inventions. Never felt like a gp when playing that way. It didn’t feel like I was in a position to push influence.

I think that that's probably more a representation of Vickys inability to consider geography. I base this on zero data but I'd be willing to bet that by nearly every metric Belgium would've ranked above AH or the ottomans during the period. It was only that it was sitting dead center of the three strongest powers that stopped it from being able to effectively impose it's will like say GB or Germany

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Everything looks really good, but I still maintain an 1815-1920 date would work much better than the 1836-1936 mark.

I was thinking one way to be able to mix up the start scenario would be to have different what ifs as starting points. So you could have a historical start, one if Napoleon successfully implemented the continental system and became dominate, one where the bonaparte's somehow maintain the throne but come to a shaky peace. And then some more out there ones. Like GB controlling NA, Japan controlling Korea and maybe Manchuria. Ottomans being able to modernize and not lose Egypt, the tribes of NA confederating in some way and becoming players, or A full on African Universalist scenario

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Someone post the warren spector article

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 23, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People would riot if they couldn't blay as byz though. And they'd be right too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wiz posted:

Not my fault you guys aren't asking the important questions :colbert:

Is the Byzantine empire still formable?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

His lovers seemed to have preferred wellington

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't put nukes in the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It had those cool leader portraits on the end screen too

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Victoria did a reasonably good job of simulating the Great War. The shift from horses to planes, making gas so powerful without a counter, and the increasing reliance on mobilization and the devastating effects it could have on your country were all very well done.

What I don't think it does well is the six subsequent Great Wars that fire off between absolutely crippled countries.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's been a minute but there's two ways to westernize via décision in Vicky 2 as Japan. One of them is getting spheres by the US but you need to wait until the 1860's. Or you can use the points you get from conquering Korea to westernize earlier at the cost of increased militancy.

Personally I'd go for the earliest westernization. It'll give you more time to gently caress around in the east before the euromericans move in. And conquering Korea Is a no brainer. High literacy, population, and good resources.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I would personally try and avoid confronting the UK at gane start. You can beat them by virtue of the ai being braindead and then having people scattered all over the globe. But the opportunity cost is usually too high when you could be beating up uncivs or secondaries for equal or greater rewards.

Vicky is however the one game where they're a good ally. Getting them as am ally and using them to batter your enemies is fantastic

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My brain says US, Japan, or uniting Italy
My heart however says Long Chile

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

zhuge liang posted:

This comparison to the antebellum US is really nonsensical. Did individual states have their own foreign policy, including armed conflicts with foreign powers? Did they have foreign vassals?

Yes actually but the argument reanir is making still doesn't hold up

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_at_Fort_Utah
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton

Anyways Utah under Brigham young was basically an independent fiefdom

And the vast majority of the conflicts the US fought in the period was states unlawfully encroaching on native territory.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 26, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Modeling the taping rebellion to be remotely close to historical is gonna be a hell of a doing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know. The idea that the person informing the widow of a soldiers death carrying a loaded pistol and a few extra magazines is a lot funnier.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

How does the economy work in this game?

Like in Victoria II I was never really sure how exactly you built wealth. My goal was always to try and build domestic production of all goods and I found what I got was a bunch of unproductive factories and a lot of sunk costs.

I couldn't "visualize" the global market and how the goods physically moved between the different countries nor how many of those goods were available in total for import/export.

So basically I build furniture factories in wood producing regions, glass factories where I had coal and so on. I had no idea whether I was consuming more raw materials than I produced and only assumed that goods would neatly flow from the raw material sites to the production sites at minimal cost.

How are you actually supposed to plan these things?

So first off Raise all your taxes to max, at game start your Admin Eff. is so poo poo that it won't matter that you have 100% tax, because they're just gonna hide most of it in their mattress.

Second you do get a bonus for keeping your factories in the same province as it's input so that's good. Your missing piece is how you acquire resources on the World Market. Their is no transport or anything like that. Countries must sell any resources that their Sphere master wants to them first, then they go on the world market and are offered first to the number one Great Power, than if any is left to the Second and so on down the line.

So if you seem to be lacking resources, say you need wood for a furniture factory you can either conquer a Wood producing province, Sphere a country that makes a lot of wood, or hope to god the rest of the world above you in rank doesn't want wood as much as you do.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wrong! It's important to have more money to prove your better than everyone else

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Sort of. It is a constantly increasing supply, due to gold mines which are the intended in-game way of creating more currency out of nothing, and various bugs which are not the intended way but nevertheless do add more money to the system (although there are also bugs that delete money from the system so I don't know which of these comes out on top). But in some extreme situations you can get out ahead of the curve and starve the global economy of cash enough that the trickle of new money being added is entirely insufficient.

It's like deus ex. Always learning more about this drat game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wanted a video explaing why onion futures are banned in the united states'.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

This sounds cool as poo poo; imagine pops all getting addicted to guns.

Time for a Texas playthrough

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

Speaking of China, my one (...well... One of many) confusion with Vic2 is I have no idea how I'm supposed to interact with China like a proper imperialist. Conquering chunks of them is right out, as then you'd have a bunch of wrong culture, illiterate peasants mucking up your research. You cant sphere them, because then your economy explodes. So... What does one do?

You conquer them and send endless waves of Chinese Peasents at your enemies instead of your own soldiers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

It's actually a pro strat to conquer the Pearl River Delta, based on what I regularly see people on Youtube do.

Oh I wasn't kidding, I wouldn't try taking the whole of China, but grabbing a state or two is fantastic, shitloads of Raw materiel and Raw recruits. The penalties don't outweigh being able to militarily punch way above your weight.

My go to with Spain, was Deal with the Carlists, Take Sokoto, Take South Korea, and then see if I can take a piece out of China, Then you can actually get enough power to not constantly be struggling for GP against loving Belgium, and take part in the big boy wars

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hope V3 requires things like the british indian army to actually spend the majority of their manpower garrisoning India instead of colonies being endless manpower pools.

No! then I'll have to git gud

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tiger attacks

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Paradox should buy the studio that made Rule the Waves 2 Imperialism and just add it to Vic 3

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

The Triple Alliance and Ottoman-German alliance (the one that brought them both in against Russia) are literally taught as the classic example of the secret alliance system but go off

Where?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair Italy backed down.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

UK kinda sucks to learn cause your poo poo is way too spread out at the start. USA has to easy wars and two oceans that let you gently caress around to your hearts content while you learn

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And people say Vicky doesn't accurately represents reality

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hellioning posted:

It's realistic that capitalist pops or local communes might control more infrastructure or buildings than the local government, but in practical terms it means that the player's primary form of interacting with something that is 'absolutely core' and 'a major part of the game's core loop' is staring at the screen and hoping the AI doesn't screw you over.

It's realistic but not all that fun.

:wrong:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

where the gently caress are the potatoes

The Irish wondered the same

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

gamers will optimize all the fun out of a video game if given the opportunity

This is the truest statement about game design ever made, and one that gamers hate the most to hear.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should probably read a more nuanced history of the war tbh. The generals in WWI were constantly innovating and switching tactics to try and break the stalemate on the Western Front

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wiz posted:

We are however turning most of it into subjects (this is a thing we're doing in general with a lot of established colonies), which is one of the things that makes Britain a lot more manageable to play in V3 vs V2.

Please dear god give me a "Assume direct Control of subject armies" ability. I don't care if it costs Dosh, Prestige, or some new resource. I cannot stand watching my subs do dumb poo poo when I'm at war

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hate watching them walk between provinces. It looks gross

I wish they'd just go all in on the boardgame aesthetics and make them look like pieces

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Having a palette to select your color during the game would be lit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

It probably just stores those numbers that you see there. The entire concept of pops is a clever trick to *avoid* ever simulating individuals.

They'll get there eventually, the "Real world" is just Vicky 8