Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think the problem may be that Arizona isn’t committed to the Coyotes playing in it.

I mean, they probably don’t like all the Canadians coming in and taking American hockey player jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’d be surprised that no ones mentioned the NHL scoring leaders for the month of November Minnesota Wild, but east coast media and whatever.

Honestly, this is just so much fun to watch.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

It's because we hate them and think you're ugly.

You’re probably right, but the referees are blind anyway.

eXXon posted:

Any other bigtime Rem Pitlick fans out there?

He played reasonably well in his time at UMN, but I don’t know that he has much of a fan base yet. He’s been okay, and he moves with speed still, so by the time he’s 28 they’ll move him to Pittsburgh to play on the second line.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

As a non-fan, it's a shame because it was going to be interesting seeing where Hertl went at the deadline, but I imagine he's staying put now.

I wouldn’t bet on that yet. SJ has been fun to watch them try to frustrate other teams, but I think they may end up outside the playoffs still. You have Vegas and Winnipeg on the outside but only by a couple points. A bad string of games in the division and they could be outside and trying to make up 6 points to get back in. Anaheim looks like they’ll be the surprise this season in the Pacific and if Vegas gets healthy and has a healthy ish Eichel it can quickly turn the tables. I do think the West will have one team from each division in the wild card, but I’d expect Dallas and Nashville to be fighting for it.

Quarter through the season I’d put it Min, Col, StL in the spots and Edm, Cal, VGK in the Pacific. I’ve been watching a lot of the late games and McDri will carry them to the playoffs, but not get them past the 2nd round.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

Hockey is terrible and bad

Alternatively, some of us are thinking that hockey is terrific and fun.

I also on one hand am happy for Canucks fans, but I also don't really want them to do better than okay. I just want the absolute misery of Benning to end for them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Friedman reporting the same, so I guess it’s just a matter of time until the front office announces it.

Congratulations to Vancouver and Philly fans. Your wishes have finally been granted just in time for the holidays.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

I laughed out loud when I read this just now and, though Larsen has done well so far, man, I wanted Bruce.

He really is a card. I love his interviews.

They won that game too. Goals from... Parise, Suter, and Zucker. That's only three years ago, but it feels like 6 seasons.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
But Draisaitl has 43 points already. This scoring race has Canadian media bias written all over it.

Seriously, that’s pretty crazy the rate these two are scoring at almost 2/game. I do hope it keeps up (just tomorrow).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Powershift posted:

I would rather he show some sportsmanship. Only score 20 and then coast for the last 2.5 periods

I’m sure he has a setting to just play pond hockey that they can turn the robot to.

We should almost make a pool just for the group stage games to see who gets closest to predicting the scores. Prize could be a hat from the worst NHL team (in the standings) at the break.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The more I put it off the more tape piles up and the less likely I am to watch a bunch of it and actually do a write up. I did, though, stay up and watch Pens/Kraken last night and was re-watching the highlights. IMO I maintain that Seattle is very very very poorly structured with bad understanding of what they should be doing when there are system breakdowns. Of which they have lots. Grubby made it 5 minutes and 30 seconds last night before being yoinked. Brief breakdown of these 3:

Grubby gets bounced and not long after Joey has to make an incredibly good save after a very lax defensive zone play. From there it's just Seattle handing out 2 on 1s like kittens. Guentzel gets a clean one. Carter gets a crazy bounce off Oleksiak after Daccord makes a great save off a 3 on 1. Guentzel's 3rd is a 3 on 2.

Of the original 3 the system the Pens seemed to employ was attacking Seattle through a high umbrella. Whether that's something they noticed on tape or the fluidity of Sullivan's attack is hard to say. The Pens executed it well enough, but my word is Seattle really awful in their own zone.

So a lot of that is consistent in their play. They're not good in defending the neutral zone, and not really that good at transition play. I've seen teams just play cross ice passes up the ice from E-W. Three passes and they'll be in the zone against Seattle. They aren't good at breaking up good cycle play either. Once in a while they'll keep their assignments and actually get a break up ice from the blue line, but anything along the boards is too easy to pass around. And if you have a good cycle game then you can get Seattle out of position and actually get something through to the net. So that tight center defense in front of the goalie breaks down and the chances get through. Anyone who's unafraid of cycling with their D will overload and probably pull an extra few chances that night too.

Legitimately this is something that's gone on with Hakstol teams back to North Dakota. And if you also can't possess the puck really well and score consistently this is going to break down and you're going to get those higher danger chances coming through on net. I don't joke when I say he had a plethora of riches in ND to build his credibility. In the first few years he was there they had guys like Toews, Parise, Matt Greene, TJ Oshie, Travis Zajac... They recruited really well compared to the rest of the country and they just haven't done that with their entry draft. Sure, you have some solid players, but you're missing the headliners that make it work. They'd just go out and put up 5-7 goals in a game and in college that was just too easy. Can't do that in the NHL (unless your name is McDavid or Draisaitl).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Powershift posted:

drat, dude fell off HARD

He had some amazing years in Minnesota. easily could have won the Vezina.

did his groin explode or something?

He had some supposedly minor lower body injuries, but his wife got really sick two years ago and his game just fell off a cliff a bit and I don't think he found it again completely in SJ or Colorado. He was super goalie for a couple years there with Boudreau in Minnesota though and was super fun to watch.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mike_V posted:

Very cool that the league won't cancel the Blues game when they've done it for a number of other teams. Here's the fun lineup they're running out against the Panthers

code:
PROJECTED LINEUP
Forwards

Saad - O'Reilly - Sundqvist
Kyrou - Schenn - Buchnevich
Barbashev - Brown/Joshua - Tarasenko

Defense

Mikkola - Parayko
Krug - Scandella
Perunovich - Bortuzzo
Walman

Goalie

Husso

That sucks, but there’s only three players in COVID protocol, so this is completely different than the others that were postponed where they were at 9-10 just on protocol. Most of it is injury related and the league just doesn’t have sympathy for that.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Having only watched a few Seattle games and having extremely vague recollection of Hakstol Flyers I have a theory that Hakstol's defensive system positions players extremely poorly when they are 'in position' and as Jhet very nicely pointed out this system can be pulled apart fairly easily which leads to 'poor positioning panic' ending in both an inordinate amount of bounces going in, free players to slam home a rebound off of anything and everything, or just old fashioned forcing the goalie to try and make heroic post to post save...oh it went 5 hole. Which, if upon further review, is true... would be actually really neat for some how organizing and creating 'bad luck'.

I have the poor fortune of watching the Gophers try to do this to North Dakota for too many years. It would depend which size ice they played on. I haven't watched the Kraken as much as I'd like because trying to get around blackouts is more than I care to do, but when I have watched them, they've been mostly consistent with that. You can kind of spin them around the zone like a merry-go-round and eventually someone will miss an assignment or switch and the space will open up. Granted, you have to be sharp enough with your passing and cycle, but plenty of teams are good at this part.

This does jive with them being good at low and medium danger chances and just bad at stopping high danger chances. When they breakdown, they leave big openings that NHL caliber players will be happy to exploit.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Levitate posted:

it's going to be incredibly gaudy

anyways, no discipline for Trouba on that hit.
Seems like there should be but it's technically a legal hit so NHL gonna NHL

It does seem like it, but he’s also not aiming for the head and just trying to hit center mass. He kept his arms tucked and aimed for the chest without leaving his feet before making the hit. It ticks all the boxes for what they want people to do. Still don’t like that someone got hurt on it, but you don’t want to punish people for doing what you’re asking them to do either.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

heehee posted:

unless it's the canucks signing a player to a contract

DoPS should at least fine the Canucks for their contracts, I would agree. But now you’re just punishing the future GM.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

So far though my main takeaway from watching most of Seattle's highlights is they should fire go back in time and never hire Hakstol immediately.

Fixed that for you.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao has a pro team ever had this happen cause good lord I want it to

Probably not in 30+ years in hockey (except the last time Arizona was broke).

Now, in lower tier football/soccer it seems to happen about once a year lately that someone’s going into administration for unpaid tax bills or something.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/dailyfaceoff/status/1469025854919430146?s=21 I believe in player safety and all but this looks fairly shoulder to chest, plus MacK placed himself in a bad position

It's like it's a carbon copy of the Khaira hit a couple days ago.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

CBJ have now had 5 offside reviews take goals off the board in the past 7 or 8 games:

It's always NHL officiating, Porty.

Yeah, not on offsides. The AR get those right at an alarmingly high rate. It's just bad luck that CBJ has had so many taken off the board because of it. Offside is a state, one that's well defined and difficult to judge 100% accurately at an angle. Complaining about missed penalties makes sense, but complaining about not being able to stay onside is something the players have to be cross at themselves about. The review is there to get to as near perfect (when it matters) as possible.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Yeah but it sucks. If it isn't immediately obvious that it's offside, then it probably doesn't matter.

The review was put in to catch this kind of offside Avalance goal, but instead it ruins this kind of offside Avalanche goal.

Oh, I’m not saying that it doesn’t suck. Just don’t blame the people who are actually working hard to see those things. As far as NHL officials go, the assistants do their job with great accuracy for the crap angles they see. Unlike slashing, offside is a binary state and they get them correct an awesome number of times. The change to it being a plane on the blue line really helps with worrying about toes being on the ice, but now if you’re in early or out late it just is or isn’t. That’s the rule and it doesn’t matter if it’s an inch or three strides.

Still not sure how they didn’t catch the first clip when it happened, but people make mistakes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

Also the alternative to not calling strict offside means giving officials a judgement call on whether something is offsides enough to matter. Do you let it go if it’s an inch offside? What about 3? 5? Which seems like a system that will lead to infinitely more controversial calls.

I'd argue that they just call what they see for offsides as true to the rule as possible. It's normally fairly rare that they get one wrong that even matters, and I'd bet that they get over 95% of them right when it doesn't matter too. The assistants aren't having an opinion so much as trying to quickly parse the information their eyes give them. They do the same with icing and they really don't get too many wrong. The referees are trying to have opinions on penalties and that doesn't work so well. You don't want offside to be subjective, because then we'd end up arguing about it constantly like you suggest.

I will happily argue about the referee's subjective penalty calling being dogshit, but man do the assistants do a great job almost every night.

xzzy posted:

Snowbirds.

They're home away from home games for Minnesota fans.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Every time I see JFresh posted I think it's CBJSprague and vice versa

I’m glad I’m not the only one with that issue.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ Thank you for putting words and pictures to the stuff stuck in my head.

Cartoon Man posted:

I think its safe to add “FIRE HAKSTOL” to the discussion, if you’re inclined.

You ever go to a college non-conference game between a good program and then one from a small school or not so good program? It's what watching the Kraken is like 70% of the time. They know how to play, they have a pretty good idea of what they need to do to win a hockey game, but they're outclassed and out-positioned by the third period? That's what watching the Kraken is like.

I've been saying it since July when it was announced, but Fire Hakstol. I'd say take Francis with him, but chances are too good that they'd end up with Benning or Bergevin (because reasons) or someone like them and why not just keep on with the slowly sinking ship instead of buying a new one with big holes in other places.

Edit: I legitimately feel bad for people from Seattle that don't know the game well, because this is setting the bar super low. Even worse with the season ticket and just ticket prices being insanely Seattle-priced.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 15, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Being a new fan I can't describe it well but I can definitely see it at the games I go to. Seattle rarely has a lane to enter the zone with speed and they always chip it in right from center ice then try to retrieve it off the boards. I can't count the number of times they go for a tricky pass and can't execute either.

But my real point is my seats are right behind a minority owner so if I like, taped a note on his seat saying to fire Hakstol would that be a good idea or what lol?

They don’t have any good breakout structure because Dave there still thinks this is college hockey. Also, it’s a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners. Next time you watch a game look at what the players (on the other team) do when they don’t currently have the puck. Watch where they tend to go through the neutral zone. Dumping and chasing isn’t always a bad thing, sometimes it’s the best option at the moment, but they’re going to be trying to do something else with it first mostly. But Seattle’s neutral zone is soft butter, so it should be pretty obvious. Some teams are better than others, so watch a little more the next couple games.

If you don’t tape a note or hold a sign I wouldn’t blame you, but I’d get my Gopher stuff out and bring some animosity out from where it should have stayed. In the past. I’m honestly glad our number for tickets didn’t come up. I can’t imagine the level of disappointment I’d have on a regular basis.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I don’t understand why people think a backcourt violation will change things substantially either. Most of the time they want to change or don’t want to give up a bad turnover. So why punish this? I’d expect those numbers are down because teams figured out how to defend it better. They’re just going to have to restart with a FO, so what’s the difference. Or they’ll figure out how to hit the puck so it comes out anyway but it was a shot/pass instead. They’ll game whatever rule change anyone tries to make. There needs to be an actual incentive to win and not gamble in the shoot out, and they won’t change the points, so there won’t be one regardless of rule changes.

I too want to see more other teams actually try to win in OT, but not at the expense of bad giveaways that we all complain about when it happens 5v5. You know what would increase the number of shots in OT though? Actually calling penalties during it. Teams have a goal to get as many points in whatever way possible. Of course means they’re going to defend possession. Shooting gallery line rushes only work for some players and teams, and no one wants to just lose.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think the only problem is shootout wins being the first tie breaker means not much. If the goal is achieved and there are fewer, then you may end up wanting shoot outs again because of the tie breaker. Make the tie breaker the head to head for the teams and all of a sudden you have to worry about winning before you ever get to a shoot out.

VOTE1 posted:

I think another super simple change for OT is to flip the direction, a chunk of the backtracking seems to be designed to try an eventually get fresh skaters against tired ones. Make it easier to change meaning if teams curl back into the neutral zone defences will have a easier time changing.

You can still keep a team in their own zone and get a tiredness advantage but not by just floating around the neutral zone for 45 seconds.

This would solve some of it. Fresh skaters will have the energy to also press the play and you'd probably get more offense just from not having players out for minute or longer shifts just because they have to be conservative when they're tired. Offensive players may actually end up shooting more (until coaches get involved and then there's another problem).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I feel left out. Minnesota doesn’t have anyone on the COVID list since last week and that was just the one.

I’m okay with this feeling. Much better than all those years it would get to January and they’d spread the flu around the locker room for three solid weeks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arivia posted:

Are you sure you’re a good coach, Paul?

Well, he's the best coach these Winnipeg Jets have ever had.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Has Dahlin ever had a decent coach?

Just this year. Granato has that team looking like they may actually know how to play hockey. They're not really the best at it, but they're not skating around without purpose.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1471986859924467722?s=20

Makes me think they should just ban twitter in Toronto.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

Opened up the ESPN app and goddamn jackets really pouring it on today

But Calgary has the football, so they may put up some score soon.

All this chatter and postponed games, but there's currently 14 teams without anyone currently on the protocol list and a couple more with only 1-2. So that's good to see.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Wasn't there an article that came out that showed hockey rinks are somehow like super good at keeping COVID aerosols suspended at head height months ago
I vaguely recall that

It was last season even. I’m not going to sift through the threads to find it. But cold air moves less without something moving it, and because it also falls everything falls and then was suspended in the slowly moving air about 7-8’ up iirc.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

I don't think the Olympics are going to get delayed. I think it will be another hockey tournament with no NHL, and a World Cup in 2022 or something.

They really need to stop forcing hockey at the olympics. Just make it U23 like they do soccer and call it a day. The big problem they have is that they schedule it during the season when everyone's already playing. So they have to go, "well, does anyone want to come to this tournament? we promise it'll be so important they won't hardly televise the games." At least with the world championships they start after the season is over and it's just people in the playoffs missing out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's possible--not likely, since Ron Francis picked these players, but possible--that Seattle's actually a good team. We can't know, because they've never tried to play NHL hockey, and won't for as long as Hakstol is there.

This stuff is actually super important, which we learned from the Penguins. When they fired Mike Johnston and hired Mike Sullivan they instantly transformed from "struggling to make the playoffs" to "one of the most dominant teams of the cap era".

This comes up a lot in soccer. You can change manager and stay with the same general formation, but because expectations for where and how you plan to play through the lines changes, your team can go from not being able to pass through an airplane hanger to being able to ping the ball up the pitch in 4-5 passes. All because you change the behavior of how those triangles change. Conceptually it's as simple as changing the interior angles of the triangle when you're passing, but more difficult in practice.

What you don't see with Seattle is their triangles moving consistently. When you defend in that 4-2-3-1 in soccer, you have your DM and wingers dropping back into two defensive lines when not in possession or pressing and you'll end up with two lines of 4 or a 4-5. You can watch successful hockey teams do this in how their D pop out to the walls from in front of the net, where the center goes, and how the wingers press on the walls and blue line. But then their spacing between each other and where they keep their sticks is part of that positioning. Not having good stick and body position leaves lanes open to pass through, and an offensive unit on their toes will adjust to fit inside those gaps and take advantage.

The biggest problem in that picture Rex posted was how flat 4 of the Seattle players are to the boards. There's no shape anymore, it's just flat and by the time they even think to react, it's too late because they've left 3/4 of the ice open. So once your blow your coverage, there's going to be a chance. The better teams and systems will exploit it. So even if you don't give up a ton of goals on low danger chances, if you get dragged out of your space by a good cycle play you're giving up bigger chances instead. Seattle still panics like they don't know where the spaces are, or are being told to cover in ways that pull them out of shape. I wonder if part of this is how Hakstol seems to want to create chances on the breakaway, so they're jumping and taking risks where they really shouldn't be.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

EDIT: ^^^^^^ JHET THANK YOU FOR REMINDMING ME.............I did not bring up 'depth' here at all and I absolutely meant to. Depth in defense isn't just for World War 1! But depth and offsets on how players move and deploy is exceptionally important. The most obvious example I can provide is the move towards more 1-3-1 on the powerplay and how you manipulate the 'bumper' in unison with the other players is fascinating and both complex, but why we've seen the shift to employing this type of setup.

The LA Kings are boss at the 1-3-1 through the neutral zone. It is very annoying. If Seattle were capable of running it, they’d get a lot more of those break always they so desire.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

Dylan Larkin: will buy your beer that he knocks over

That's nice, but what kind of idiot puts their beer down on the boards. Maybe they've never been to a hockey game before.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

The NHL season should be cancelled so that the last thing anyone saw was the Stars beat the doodoo out of the Wild.

Anywho, I'm hopping back into my Imagination Zone.

It was a pretty good game regardless. Not defensively, but still fun to watch.

Not happy that Eriksson-Ek got injured on that play. Don’t think it was malicious or anything, but it wasn’t great.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Powershift posted:

"I've read enough, $5m x 3 years" ~Peter Chiarelli, probably

Is he over 35 though?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkE5Rt3PRwg

this is like C-level beer league

also i looked up the philippines team and they have one guy over 6' and his name is steve

So what you're saying is... I have a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

I made the mistake of looking at the Capitals subreddit and the idea that the league has a testing problem and not a COVID problem is really catching on.

Just stop testing so much and you won't catch the asymptomatic infections! Bingo bango, where's my check?

Ahh, the sandy ostrich strategy. That always works so well until you pull your head back out when you're done rotating the eggs.

Honestly, I very much love hockey, but it's not worth all these players and their families getting sick traipsing around the countries.