Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Namtab)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Welcome to ePa Wrestling Club (ty tawal for the logo). In a similar vein to the other media clubs vying for your time we wanted to offer something that will drive up engagement with this subforum as well as allow us to share and discover good wrestling, bad wrestling, maybe weird wrestling?

How this works

We will watch an episode of WCW Monday Nitro once a week, every week, until we run out of WCW Nitro in 288 episodes, Jeff stops paying the server costs or we get bored, whichever happens first. Why Nitro? Ask/blame theSwizzler.

Once a month we will also watch a community selected ppv. A poster will be selected at random to choose a PPV from any promotion going (no real restrictions on this other than each day of a multi-day PPV counts seperately, and avoid picking things that people won't be able to find).

React to the wrestling as you watch. Post about the wrestling after it finishes. Let's have a good time!

Current Nitro Episode - 26/288

Monday Nitro 26/02/96

Singles Match - Sting vs. Big Bubba Rogers
Singles Match - Lex Luger vs. The Renegade
WCW World Tag Team Title #1 Contendership Match - Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) vs. The Road Warriors (Road Warrior Animal & Road Warrior Hawk)
Six Man Tag Team Match - Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage & The Booty Man vs. Kevin Sullivan & The Four Horsemen (Arn Anderson & Ric Flair) (w/Miss Elizabeth & Woman)

April Monthly Pick - 666 Hataage 20th Anniversary & Yuko Miyamoto Debut 20th Anniversary Show

Picked by: Ghosthorse

Ghosthorse picked this because snoozecruise told them to. I'm not sure what this is. There's a train belt. We'll find out if this is any good.

Card:

1. Battle Royal

2. Yasu Urano vs. Kunihiko Mitamega

3. Nene Dai & Takky Dai vs. Kohei Kinoshita & Yusuke Kodama

4. Hikari Noa & Pom Harajuku vs. Raku & Ram Kaicho

5. Jumbo Lee Burbridge, Kagura, Natsu Sumire & YANAGAWA vs. Banana Kaicho (Banana Senga), Ikuto Hidaka, Onryo & Rina Yamashita

6. Rebel X Enemy (Maika Ozaki & Maya Yukihi) (c) vs. Jun Masaoka & Ken vs. Dynasty & K666 (666 Locomotive Class Title Three Way Tag Team Match)

7. Jun Kasai, Ram Kaicho, Senpai & Yasu Urano vs. GENTARO, Guts Ishijima, Kunihiko Mitamega, Naoshi Sano & Yuiga (Five On Four Handicap Match)

8. Abdullah Kobayashi, Mayumi Ozaki & Yuko Miyamoto vs. Ryuya Kamishiro, Shinobu & Yuki Ishikawa

9. Konaka (c) vs. Koju Takeda (666 Chaos Undecided Freedom Title Match)

Previous monthly picks
Wrestlemania 30 (November 2023)
Halloween Havoc 1993 (December 2023)
Halloween Havok 1998 (January 2024)
Grand Princess 2022 (February 2024)
NXT Takeover New Orleans (March 2024)

Previous Nitro Episodes:
4/9/95
11/9/95
18/9/95
25/9/95
02/10/95
09/10/95
16/10/95
23/10/95
30/10/95
06/11/95
13/11/95
20/11/95
27/11/95
04/12/95
11/12/95
18/12/95
25/12/95
01/01/96
08/01/96
15/01/96
22/01/96
29/01/96
05/02/96
12/02/96
19/02/96

Namtab fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Namtab posted:

Why Nitro? Ask/blame theSwizzler.

Nitro will give you a great cross section of both the best and worst that wrestling can be. Brian Pillman tearing down the house and The Dungeon of Doom, Flair vs Anderson and PN News getting pushed

But honestly if you watch even one Nitro this week's is a solid one if you've never seen it before, it's held in the Mall of America and a bunch of crazy poo poo happens

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Watchin now and the first thing I'm seeing is Mongo, it's a good sign

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Pillman/Liger opener in the middle of a mall is hype af

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I attended Wrestlemania 30 live in my hometown of New Orleans - only one I've ever gone to. I had a lot of fun.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i never saw mania 30 on tv because i was at the show. i saw teddy long at a cvs that weekend, he said holla holla playa

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TheSwizzler posted:

Pillman/Liger opener in the middle of a mall is hype af

when dynamite started i kinda wanted the opening match to be pillman jr/liger before he retired

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I should probably put the info here again so that we don't lose the info next week when I update the op

WCW Nitro Episode 1 - W/C 07/11

Card:

Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Liger
Sting (c) vs. Ric Flair (WCW United States Championship)
:siren: Main Event: Hulk Hogan (c) vs. Bubba Rogers (WCW World Heavyweight Championship)

Current Monthly PPV - Wrestlemania 30 (6th April 2014) - November 2023
Selected by: Namtab

I chose this because this is the first PPV I watched in my adult life. I had followed the build with my friend and was excited to see if they'd let Daniel Bryan actually win (always a risk with WWE). I remember this being a fun night of wrestling and hope it holds up to my memory.

Card:

(Pre-Show - you don't have to watch this) The Usos (c) v Los Matadores v The Real Americans v Rybaxel (Fatal 4 Way Tag Team Elimination Match | WWE Tag Team Championship)

Daniel Bryan v Triple H (w\ Stephanie McMahon) (Singles | Winner to be added to the main event)

Kane and The New Age Outlaws v The Shield (Six-man tag team match)

31 Man Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal

John Cena v Bray Wyatt (w/Erick Rowan & Luke Harper) (Singles)

Brock Lesnar (w/Paul Heyman) v The Undertaker (Singles)

AJ Lee (c) v Layla v Natalya v Alicia Fox v Rosa Mendes v Brie Bella v Nikki Bella v Emma v Tamina v Aksana v Naomi v Cameron v Summer Rae v Eva Marie (Vickie Guerrero Invitational Match | WWE Divas Championship)

:siren: Main Event: Randy Orton (c) v Batista v Daniel Bryan (Triple Threat | WWE World Heavyweight Championship)

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We're going to be watching on the SAW server tonight at 11PM GMT

https://discord.gg/q2rzwntf

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

starts in less than 5 minutes

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pillman v Liger was probably the best match of the evening.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

The cut from Pillman/Liger to Hulk Hogan promoting his mall food court pasta restaurant is the yin and yang of Nitro summed up in a few short moments

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

the good: the wtestling
the bad: the end to the flair v sting match
the ugly: the commentary was kinda dire

monday nightro

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

the good: the wtestling
the bad: the end to the flair v sting match
the ugly: the commentary was kinda dire

monday nightro

Talkin poo poo about Mongo?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TheSwizzler posted:

Talkin poo poo about Mongo?

yes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

pasta nuggets....ftw

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Nitro E1 overall is a pretty well put together show, all things considered. They showcase what WCW has to offer for better or worse with some good workers, some former main event WWF talent, Sting/Flair, and the big shock of Luger showing up. The mall crowd kinda lessens what you're gonna see with Hogan's reactions and the campy dungeon of doom stuff souring the traditional WCW fans who are going to be heavily making GBS threads on the show coming over the next while which is really the breakpoint that leads to the formation of the nWo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

it kinda felt like two shows, the main event was very tonally different

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

it kinda felt like two shows, the main event was very tonally different

Yeah there was definitely a Hoganverse happening through his whole tenure, he'd draw the other main eventers in too to be his buddies. Luger's one of the actually interesting characters during this period of Nitro because he's a bit of a tweener who hates Hogan, but he's still great buddies with Sting, which leads to a p great angle down the line

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

agree with everything the two of you've said. the sting back bridge recovery whipped rear end also.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
im doing this

Thank you Ohtori Akio for the incredible sig!! 😍

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont know how much I can commit to this since my childhood WCW memories were very important to my wrestling development, and if I were to find out I misremembered something it would gut me.

That said, I'll keep an eye on this thread and dip in maybe.

You Can Join Something Awful Wrestling Today

Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9pm Eastern on twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

im doing this

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Namtab posted:

Welcome to Wrestling Club (logo pending - make the best one by December and I'll buy you a forums upgrade of your choice or donate £10 to charity if you prefer).

Come on people, make some stuff

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The second an admin reads this they should make me ik so I can change the thread title weekly. God bless

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If you can provide links to all the videos you will watch, I will try to be there

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

If you can provide links to all the videos you will watch, I will try to be there

It's all up on archive.org, under "ortin", we're starting from what's listed as 4/9/95

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Count me in too. My only live wrestling experience so far was seeing Nitro at the Nassau Coliseum with my dad.

I watched the first episode last night on Peacock, so I'm not sure what got changed but it was a pretty fun show. I got into WCW around 1998-1999 so I haven't seen much of the pre-nWo era, so this should be cool.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

It was a really weird period overall. They were trying to kick start Hulkamania again with some bizarre content that fell pretty flat with crowds but ended up being so bad it was good, but they also had some really great talent up and down the card outside of that. Next weeks episode 2 has an absolute banger of Sabu v Alex Wright

You get to see them flailing for a while on what to do with Hogan and it sets the stage for some of the best wrestling TV in history

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

namtab will the streaming wrestlemania 30 on the discord in 15 minutes

https://discord.gg/cqmyGWMD

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

time for wrassle

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

cesaro and bryant winning was very good

the crowd being so behind bryant gave it so much energy, the camerawork for the main event was kinda bad though

you really felt how little wwe cared for the womens division in their match though

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My thoughts:

Daniel Bryan v Triple H (w\ Stephanie McMahon) (Singles | Winner to be added to the main event)

At this point the HHH spot on the card is very much a vanity match and it really feels like this match is booked around his limitations. Theres a start contrast between the two, one is plodding, slow and has a long and elaborate entrance, the other is daniel bryan. It's poorly paced and kinda slow at times, and really feels like a match between 2 different styles and eras of wrestling If the supposed original plan to have HHH v Punk had gone ahead I doubt it could have been any better. From a storytelling and crowd perspective though this match is hot. Corporate overlords keeping a fan favourite down is always a good angle.

Kane and The New Age Outlaws v The Shield (Six-man tag team match)

I wonder if the curtain jerker ran long because this was very short. Almost felt like a squash match. Shield are very over, Kane and the New age outlaws are here to get paid.

31 Man Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal

The issue with Battle Royales for me is that they start off very unfocused, you're starting with everyone in the ring and it's difficult to know what to focus on. This is the opposite of my favourite gimmick match (royal rumble) which builds to that at times. This again felt quite short comparatively. The choice of finalists was good and the right guy won. The problem is that history shows that the winner of this match never actually seems to get any kind of push...

This was a good match. This is Bray's first mania and his gimmick is really over right now. The angle behind this match is great and all in all I really enjoyed the in ring action. The downside is the ending and it's the only match of the card where I think that the result was wrong. I think Cena should have either taken the high road and lost, thus allowing Bray to continue with his push and Cena to continue as a face, or alternatively had Cena turn heel to win thus proving Bray right. This is the start of a legacy of Bray Wyatt having a great gimmick but never really achieving anything. On a personal note Bray is wrestling really well, and it's such a shame that someone on his level and with such a future ahead of him was taken from us so soon. RIP.

Brock Lesnar (w/Paul Heyman) v The Undertaker (Singles)

Another slow match, although not as bad in this respect as the HHH match because this is clearly booked as a big hoss off so them booking around Taker's limitations works and they both look strong. We all know this is where the streak ends, imo this match makes it meaningful, they did it in a way that genuinely puts Brock over as having achieved something. It's the correct decision too, it's a proper passing of a torch and legacy. WWE didn't waste this either, Brock was pushed as a monster heel for the best part of the decade after this match. Due to things both in and out of WWE's control this is probably the most Important match of the night, and certainly the match with the most long reaching aftereffect.

AJ Lee (c) v Layla v Natalya v Alicia Fox v Rosa Mendes v Brie Bella v Nikki Bella v Emma v Tamina v Aksana v Naomi v Cameron v Summer Rae v Eva Marie (Vickie Guerrero Invitational Match | WWE Divas Championship)

Piss break match. It's interesting to see how far the women's division has come in the last 10 years, but at this time only a few of them can actually wrestle. It's 2 years before the main roster's women's revolution.

:siren: Main Event: Randy Orton (c) v Batista v Daniel Bryan

Great match, both from a story and wrestling perspective. It's a genuine pity that the winner of the match couldn't capitalise on the victory before injury caused him to take an extended hiatus.

My overall thoughts are that 9 years later I still had fun watching this. There was only one match where I felt that they'd made the wrong decision as to who won and overall I still enjoyed the angles and a lot of the wrestling, although some of it didn't hold up to memory and the booking around match length felt weird. The show was quite oddly paced. The low point of the evening was probably the shield's match just because it seemed tacked on.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Namtab posted:

This was a good match. This is Bray's first mania and his gimmick is really over right now. The angle behind this match is great and all in all I really enjoyed the in ring action. The downside is the ending and it's the only match of the card where I think that the result was wrong. I think Cena should have either taken the high road and lost, thus allowing Bray to continue with his push and Cena to continue as a face, or alternatively had Cena turn heel to win thus proving Bray right. This is the start of a legacy of Bray Wyatt having a great gimmick but never really achieving anything. On a personal note Bray is wrestling really well, and it's such a shame that someone on his level and with such a future ahead of him was taken from us so soon. RIP.

yeah the finish was really lame, it was a slow story match that ended up building up to... nothing
wyatts entrance was great though, big contrast with ortons which was meh

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i thought i was going mad when i was making match length comments during the ppv, but no it was that weird:

not going to time the rest but the ppv was really weirdly scheduled

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Monday Nitro 11th September 1995

This week's card

Sabu vs. Alex Wright Singles Match
Sting (c) vs. VK Wallstreet WCW United States Heavyweight Title Match
Randy Savage vs. Scott Norton Singles Match
Hulk Hogan (w/Jimmy Hart) (c) vs. Lex Luger WCW World Heavyweight Title Match

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’ll watch 9/11 Nitro. Lex vs Hulk is a huge match, probably.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stream is happening on the SAW discord in 14 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Real weird seeing Sabu in WCW doing full on Sabu matches