Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

C U B S P O S T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

That's right.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1773163567224594544

The Wrigley lighting improvements will continue until alderman morale craters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Furnaceface posted:

Bobson Dugnutt

How should I, a casual fan of the Tonto Blue Jays, set my expectations? Right now they are at "Probably not great but could be fun to watch".

The Orioles and Rays are way better on paper, the Yankees are probably about on par, the Red Sox are worse. It would take a miracle for them to win the division imo, but a WC feels pretty feasible since honestly the AL is pretty stratified this year with half the AL West and almost all of the AL Central looking like garbage. They also seem fun in general which is always good.

Tentative AL predictions: Astros take the west but Seattle finishes a close second on the back of a very good rotation and snag a WC. Royals surprise in the Central but the Guardians ultimately still take it. Orioles clean sweep the East, Yankees perform significantly worse than they're predicted to and there's a lot of national media handwringing about it that is extremely funny.

Tentative NL predictions: Dodgers steamroll the West while the D-Backs regress, Cubs eek out a division win on the back of an 85 win season because the NL Central is dogshit garbage, NL East is a slugfest between the Braves, Phillies, and Mets with two of the three WC spots going to the runners up in the division.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Is the Christopher Morel Third Baseman Experiment already over
https://x.com/Cubs/status/1773451378876133839?s=20

It was pointed out to me that vs a RHP it'd probably be Tauchman DH and Morel 3B but with Happ still kinda-sorta coming back from pulling a hammy they're likely keeping Mike in reserve just in case Happ needs to sit late in the game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So not quite on a .400 pace yet?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If Steele had gone six strong and then the pen blew it then it would be whatever. The fact that our ace is now likely out for at least a month if not longer is a loving gut punch. What's worse is that either one of Horton or Brown could come up and actually be exciting and maybe flash some upside while Steele's recovering but with my perfect crystal ball I can already tell you the Cubs will just push Smyly's crusty rear end back into the rotation while talking up the steady veteran presence that lets him flip infinite lovely hanging curves directly into the zone and give the pen slot to like, Edwin Escobar. :sigh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
No word on Steele yet but the Cubs are bringing up Brown who had a big spring for whatever that's worth and made a lot of mechanical changes during the offseason that seem to have born some fruit:

https://twitter.com/TommyBirch/status/1774107933619655126

Hopefully he's going to the rotation and it's not just some thing where he's gonna spot the pen while they shift Smyly over.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Tonight sucked but also we were like a foot and a half away from a Morel grandslam that wins it last night and being 1-1. Hopefully Wicks doesn't get obliterated tomorrow and we can salvage a win before getting what looks like it'll be three consecutive rainouts to reset.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I don't have a good feeling about the Wrigley opener happening at all

It's supposed to rain (and briefly snow) all day Tuesday and Wednesday as well, whole series may genuinely get rained out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao that they drove Len out over wearing full suits in the booth and then walked that policy back only a few months later when they finally realized literally everybody in existence besides the dipshit MBA failsons obsessed with some false veneer of professionalism running Marquee loving hated it.

The Cubs booth is only currently salvageable because JD stuck around but it definitely feels like he's been winding down the past couple years and whenever he hops off and leaves us with like, a booth of Boog, Dempster, and Sutt I'm going to have to watch every game on mute or just deal with the radio not being in sync.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah like Boog isn't a bad announcer in a vacuum he's just a really ill fit to be a specific team's home pbp guy. For some reason Marquee was really obsessed with a getting a national broadcast type to replace Len, prior to settling on Boog they were apparently going to go with some Fox national announcer guy who they ultimately had to back out on because it came out he'd done a racism in the past.

To their credit they've also tried to bring in a bunch of former player talent but the problem is none of them are actually good media personalities. Grace was an rear end in a top hat, Sutt is a droning old man who can't make it sober for three innings, Glanville and Dempster are both painfully unfunny.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jerry Reinsdorf should be stripped of his assets and the White Sox turned over the to people of Chicago.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1774882822253105655?s=20
https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1774882320585011271?s=20

Early returns on our cool and good new pitcher seeming positive, just needs to only ever pitch when it's cold and/or the wind is blowing in and he should be a lock for the Cy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Ok, so far as I can tell, "changeup" is just a catch-all term for an idiosyncratic pitch that is slower than a fastball and has weird movement

No a changeup is a specific pitch with a specific grip.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

What's it do?

Deceive the batter (hopefully) by coming in slower and with more downward tumbling action than a FB despite a similar arm motion. Yeah some people have different movement profiles for their changeups but you can say the same thing for literally any pitch, different pitchers have different sliders and FB's too. A changeup is a specific pitch, not a catchall term.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was at a Giants game two years ago where the umping was so bad it created cross fan solidarity and all of us were mad at the calls against both teams.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Late to the party but another common feature of changeups is they can break arm side, which makes them good tools against opposite handed batters who would otherwise have a platoon advantage on the pitcher. The more extreme version of this is the screwball, which is notoriously bad for your arm (but what pitch isn’t?) just ask Fernando Valenzuela.

How much arm-side movement it gets is the difference between the more traditional "straight" change and a circle change, yeah. Also some guys like Kyle Hendricks who can throw a cut change but that's much rarer.

It does seem like splitters are starting to get a bit more popular than changeups in the last couple years?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Fastballs are described as either straight, running or cutting. Straight is what you would expect it to do often called a 4 seam fastball, a running fastball is often called a 2-seam and it moves arm side, a cutting fastball is called a cutter which moves to the glove side. Of course this is all sort of a grey area and some straight 4-seam fastballs may cut/run depending on the pitcher without changing grips to intentionally throw a cutter/2-seam

Yeah the traditional distinction between 4SFB/2SFB/Cutter is, if not dying, then really starting to blur as guys are getting more attuned to pitching science and chasing certain types of spin. Justin Steele (:rip:) for example is only categorized as throwing a four-seamer but he can manipulate the pitch to add/subtract cutting action as desired.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A cutter has a specific grip whereas a cut fastball is a 4SFB that takes on natural cutting movement because of how the pitcher is delivering it. I don't know if it's a meaningful distinction or not at this point though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Looking like the Cubs Rockies game will be able to happen today, but by game start the real feel is going to be 34 and dropping fast. Getting flashbacks to that game they played against the Braves years ago where it was so cold nobody could throw a strike and the Cubs ended up coming back from like a 10 run deficit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

Wind chill is not real becuase humans wear clothes when it’s cold. It’s just sensationalist garbage from capitalist media

I suppose if you are like doing some extreme naked mountain climbing wind chill could be a factor. It’s not a factor if you are wearing multiple layers in a crowded baseball stadium

I guess a goon who's never actually left the house isn't the most surprising thing in the world.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

If you don’t wear any clothes then yes wind chill is real

I said that in my first post

However that is not a real situation for 999.999999% of the cases “real feel” is sensationally used is. It’s actually worse then just telling people the temperature. It’s misinformation

Touch grass, preferably when it's cold and windy out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
And I don't just mean actually cold I mean low realfeel too!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DanaONeilWriter/status/1775119632283607193

Gambling is the thief of joy, right now we have two low stakes scandals (Ippei and the Raptors guy) which should serve as an early warning to the leagues to manage this problem but they aren't gonna. (The article is about some equipment manager-tierr 5th year senior hitting a garbage time 3 to let Purdue win by 28. But the spread was 27.) You have NBA players openly accusing refs of point shaving right now, this is even easier for umpires to do. We will have a huge umpire betting scandal within five years on the current path, I believe. This is also key to baseball because the greatest scandal in the sports history was fixing games for betting purposes. Can you imagine if the Black Sox thing happened now, in the current media environment? You could never trust sports again. Even now when a dude starts raking out of nowhere I have to be like "is he on the juice" because of the 2000s.

Yes but have you considered it makes rich people more money and this is good, actually? Why do you hate economic growth???

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sure but fouling out an NBA team's best scorer also doesn't stop some bench scrub from inexplicably going off either. It's not about guaranteeing a particular betting outcome, just putting enough pressure on that it tips scales in the favor of that outcome.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Feels like baseball is way more random though. Hell I remember every year Jake Marisnick would have MVP numbers for 3 weeks then revert to the .230 BA .600 OPS player he was always meant to be

Sure but doesn't baseball also have a lot more little microbets? Like I'm pretty sure you can put bets on a particular AB's outcome, and that's definitely something an umpire could have a massively outsized influence on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

We had MLB giving Judge and Pujols juiced balls 2 years ago to chase home run records and hardly anyone talks about it.

Yeah the league itself is already blatantly putting its thumb on the scale to chase ratings and nobody cares, sports betting is here to stay and will survive even a major Black Sox level scandal barring some kind of huge grassroots moral outrage campaign because it is an insane money machine for the 1%.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Like here are some props from today's Jays/ Astros game

You don't think an ump could affect the O/U on strikeouts? Or some clubhouse guy taking the U on all those Yanier props because he has inside info that Diaz is going to be off that day? Too easy to do and the stakes are insanely high.

Yeah stuff like this is insane but also kinda necessary to prop up the fantasy betting app paradigm that's trying to constantly tempt you at all times to make one more bet or add one more prop to your parlay. If all you could do was bet on game outcomes a huge addictive, instant feedback aspect of the scheme would fall apart.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I know gambling addiction is way more complex than this but, personally, I have no idea how people do sports betting outside of extremely specific stuff like horse racing where the whole point is to go somewhere and bet. I'm already a nervous goddamn wreck watching the Cubs when I don't have money on the line, if I also stood to lose money because Yencey Almonte got put in during garbage time and might ruin my O/U for K's I'd burst a blood vessel before week 3.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hand Row posted:

You bet on non Cub games so you get similar anxieties but while watching some garbage game you would never give a poo poo about.

Becoming a millionaire by just betting the under on the A's over and over and over.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^ Oh hey speaking of have you heard about the Cubs today? They're pretty cool:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1774946881254174959

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

I want to go see Seiya in person but the weather this whole week is rear end.

Yeah I'm really hoping the Marlins weekend series gets at least semi-decent weather so I can trek out and catch a game.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 3, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1775490272597528830

Good on the KC voters, gently caress this public funding nonsense

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Were they able to get a hold of Drew???

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't the Giants have to sign off on that since they have a minor league affiliate there? Or does team territory only apply to the MLB team's market?

Either way that's extremely scummy of the city of Sacramento to do to Oakland.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

just learned road to the show has a pitch clock what the gently caress lol

Love how SDS added in all the new Manfred rules like the pitch clock and limited pick offs but still left in glaring bugs that have been present since like, The Show '19. Extremely on brand for them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Wrigley too

It's actually perfectly fine after the renovations, sorry.

If you want a shithole stadium go see the Angels, the nature backdrop they have in center looks nice but the actual amenities are legitimately worse than O.Co's. At least Oakland pipes the radio feed into the bathrooms and can put bigger monitors up near concessions than ancient 2005 era 480i monitors.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

Everyone who gets paid to talk about baseball

So morons, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The worst stadium I've been in is definitely Angel's Stadium, followed closely by O.Co. The best is probably PetCo, it's insane how much work they've put in to it.