Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
How important is it to have jacket/pants connected for street use? I'm browsing textile jackets and pants with waterproofing to try and out-smart our rather erratic Florida weather. Most quality jackets seem to have waist belts to prevent ride-up in case you go down feet-first or something. This is rather important to me since I'd rather not grate all the skin off of my stomach or lower back if a crash occurs. If both garments have attachment hardware, is cross-brand compatibility a thing?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Rainy day riders: Do you have separate rain gear, waterproof primary gear, or waterproof overgear? What have you found that works best?

I apologize if I am spamming questions, but I want to not waste money on crappy gear or bad purchases.

There's just so much information and the OP is so old... :(

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Pope Mobile posted:

Regarding rain gear: I ride year round in the Seattle area. I've got a "waterproof" textile jacket, Alpinestars Scout WP boots, heated, waterproof gloves and dedicated rain pants & jacket. No matter how waterproof your gear is labelled, the wet will find a way in eventually. I've found Frogg Toggs to be great at keeping the rain out and not making you feel all clammy. When it comes to boots, go big or go home. Keep them waterproof by keeping them clean and give em a good rub down with mink oil. Waterproof sprays may work, but be careful if your boot has rubber in it; some of those sprays eat rubber.
I don't really care about my hands getting wet. As long as they're warm I'm fine.

Got to talk to the guy that finally got me to make a move on this whole motorcycle business today and he also recommended Frogg Toggs. Having seen my buddy's set I think that's what I'll go for and skip the primary gear waterproofing. That should open the gear search up a lot more.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

If I was packing something to don in case my otherwise sunny ride gets a surprise downpour, I would get Frogg Toggs. If I was getting something for commuting rain or shine, I would get branded Gore-Tex gear and think hard about getting an Aerostich.

This is repeating myself but I've got a full GoreTex outfit and have ridden for hours on end in near-freezing rain and remained warm and dry, if not particularly happy. If you balk at the prices (this is reasonable) look in the ADVRider flea market for used stuff, it's how I got my $1000+ suit for about $375.

Holy poo poo this Aerostitch stuff looks amazing. I should have looked at it earlier but I must have glanced over it. They really tout themselves as the best of the best for textiles and they seem to have the reviews to back it up. I was planning on spending up to a grand on gear anyway, because if I'm going to do this I really want to wear the best that I can get to protect myself, but I will definitely troll the used stuff. Thanks!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA There are waaay too many choices for this stuff.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 23, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Just putting it forward that, if you're a bigger guy, I'm still willing to sell my Teiz Lombard suit at 1/3 price.

How big is "bigger"? I'm 6'4" and 260lbs, built pretty heavy around the shoulders and chest. That is an extremely generous offer.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Razzled posted:

Also, today I learned that a longsleeve turtleneck underarmor is loving fantastic on longer rides. I barely even got sweaty and definitely wasn't hot.

Oh christ is that really a DroidX? Just how old is that picture?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Should I bother dropping the extra coin for legit waterproof jacket/pants, or just pick up a set of Frogg Toggs to stuff in the seat compartment? The difference between your standard textile J/P and Gore-Tex waterproof stuff is several hundred dollars, while a set of Frogg Toggs is like, $40. I've been borrowing the necessary gear that came with the borrowed bike, but now that I have my own bike, it's time to get my own gear as well.

I specifically looked for waterproof gloves/boots, since good control without a lot of fiddling is of rather high importance to me.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 11, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Bought an HJC FG-17 and a Firstgear Jaunt T2. At 6'4" 260lbs the Large was still a bit roomy, but the chest straps snugged things up nicely. The backpad in the jacket seems like it's just there for abrasion mitigation, should I look into an upgrade?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 13, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My Rev'it Roadstar gloves came in today! I almost returned the drat things, I couldn't get the right hand glove on at first. I had 'em boxed up and was hovering over the "Print Return Label" button, but then checked the product page and noticed the dreaded "OUT-OF-STOCK" for the 2XL. I got 'em back out, and after working with it a bit, I got my hand in the right hand glove, and suddenly it was like wearing a second skin. An armored second skin, sure, but I'm glad I gave it another shot. Even after just flexing the gloves while walking around the house for the past 10 minutes or so, the fit has relaxed slightly as the leather has warmed up. I sat on the bike in the garage and made vroomy noises while playing with the controls, and I don't think I'm going to have any issues with these. If anything, the thumb is a bit long. A good closeout buy.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Forcefield back pad or bust. :colbert:

I mean, I saw your crash photos (reaction: :stonklol:), I'm inclined to take your advice since you're not complaining about having a titanium reinforced spine.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 14, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It was pouring on the way to work this evening. The jacket and gloves (Firstgear Jaunt T2 and Rev'it Roadstar) held up great, but I was wearing my riding duster over everything (to at least have some sort of spray protection for my legs; it didn't help in that regard in the slightest). I was completely dry from the crotch upward, but completely soaked below. Water pooling on the seat between your legs is a very odd feeling.
Gonna order frogg toggs today, and have another go at finding reasonable boots in size loving 13. I hate having big feet.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 16, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Gorson posted:

Black, leather duster. Tough, muscular dude. Underneath it, inside of it. Very sexual.

It's brown, but the rest of the description is spot-on :q:

It was an inherited item from my grandfather. I like it. It's warm, comfy, smells like rich, well-oiled leather, and drat near weatherproof (unless you're doing 55 in the rain on a bike, apparently).

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 17, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Let me know how you like them. The GoreTex version is on closeout right now at $350 and the 48 is just my size.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm going to have to send my gloves in for warranty R/R and you guys are not doing anything positive for my peace of mind :ohdear:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Anyone have a favorite glove liner? I discovered that the lower limit of my gloves is about 50F for any more than about 15m of riding at speed. No heated, if I can get away with it. It doesn't get colder than about 25F where I live.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Last WP piece I need is gloves. Usually I ride in the summer so my skin is waterproof enough to wear vented gloves, but I'm expecting slightly chillier weather up in northern BC and YT in a few months so keeping dry is gonna be a priority.

Is there a go-to un-insulated waterproof glove that gets recommended around here? Looking for a gauntlet style. Don't want a bunch of thinsulate inside, if it's cold I have glove liners to put in. I prefer to be able to feel my controls.

Price is more than I want to pay if I can help it, but are these legit? http://www.racerglovesusa.com/traveller-glove/

I like my Rev'it Roadstar GTX gloves, but they're more like a medium cuff. They'll go over a jacket but it's not really what you'd call a full gauntlet. Proven Florida downpour waterproof.

Do you use heated liners, or something like Thermasilk liners? I'm looking for a little bit more insulation when it drops into freezing temperatures, but I feel like heated gear would be overkill in Florida.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 8, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So I had to send back my Rev'it Roadstar GTX gloves because of a separating liner seam. Rev'it decided they weren't repairable, and now I've got $174 in Zillacash on my account to be spent. The XL in the Roadstar was probably just a hair too small, but it was all they had in stock at the time so that's what I got. They fit after some break in, but liners for the colder Florida weather were not an option. The 2XL in the Roadstar GTX is out of stock :( so I've gotta find something else.

After riding with the Roadstar, I've decided I'd like a full gauntlet glove, rather than the half-cuff of the Roadstar GTX. Again, I'm looking for a summerweight (N. Florida rider), waterproof glove, preferably Gore-Tex, that I can wear every day. I've got big fuggin' hands at a 10" palm circumference, so I'm kinda limited on sizes. The only thing that jumps out at me is the Alpinestars GT-S X-Trafit. Anyone have a pair that they can comment on?

EDIT: Ooh, these Held Race-Tex gloves look really nice.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 16, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Two bits for the FG-17.

I liked it more than the CL because I could shoulder check farther. The locking, pinlock ready shield was also a huge plus. They are true to size with the CL, so if you're willing to spend a bit more I'd get the FG.

I think the large will break in better for you. Use the spoon trick on the cheeks if it's still to tight for you after a week.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I bought a ten year old, 100,000mile Aerostich Darien jacket off of ADVRider for $100. It arrived Monday. I absolutely love it.

I simply cannot believe this jacket has seen that many miles or is ten years old. Nobody will believe me when I tell them it's ten years old. Aerostich makes some top-notch quality gear. I'm absolutely astounded by the fit and the feel. It fits me like my gloves do. I don't even notice the padding in the shoulders and arms, and the back pad is only just present, not uncomfortable. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. My Firstgear Jaunt T2 feels bulky and clunky by comparison.

The only thing wrong is that the two wrist cuff and one underarm vent zipper sliders need to be replaced. New sliders from Aerostich are on the way.

By far the best bike-related purchase I have yet made.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Razzled posted:

you're riding in ten years of accumulated grey beard ball sweat

I made sure to pee on it to mark my territory.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm glad the bike newbie is providing so much entertainment material for you grizzled veterans :D

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:vince:

E: Holy poo poo the daft punk :haw:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nice humblebrag there bro

I dunno if that's something I'd brag about, personally.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Are there any recommendations you guys have for either wash-in or spray-on waterproofing treatments, and advice on whether one application type works better than the other? I'm finding the shell on my pants/jacket isn't sheeting water off like it oughta.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Is the 10c still pretty much the way to go for comms/camera? The package deal is really what piques my interest.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Welp, my Held Race-Tex gloves are gonna have to go back. The liner, which was supposed to be permanently bonded to the shell, hasn't been staying put in the fingers and it finally bothered the poo poo out of me enough to get me to send an email about it. Luckily Revzilla and Held are gonna take care of it, but I'll still need gloves in the interim. It's a shame, once these gloves broke in (and it was a hell of a time getting them on and off the first couple weeks, but the Size 11 was just too drat big) they fit... well, like a glove :v: Kept my hands dry too, even in the Florida heat and rain. At least as dry as sweaty hands in 98° weather can possibly be.

At least it's an excuse to go gear shopping, I suppose. Probably going to go for a dedicated lightweight summer street glove, since whenever I get my track gearset put together, the Held gloves will suffice.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 22, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

I have that in the same size, I really like it. Unfortunately, I've gotten a little fat for it with a Forcefield back protector on. (I'm selling it, if anyone is interested)

You has PM.

I really oughta buy a Shoei RF-1200 though. I dropped my HJC FG-17 the other day like a moron and it left a pretty nice impact mark in the exterior.

Edit: Aw man, I really really like the Beacon in yellow but it's out-of-stock for Large heads.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 24, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
What does the CA hivemind have to offer for recommendations regarding summer base layers? I'm kinda leaning towards UA Heatgear, ever since I tried their boxer briefs I've never again considered cotton skivvies and my nether regions never felt better. MC-specific stuff on Revzilla starts at UA price levels and just goes up from there.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Smartwool socks. I have like, ten pairs, and they go with everything.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Just watch Sierra Trading Post and grab good merino or wool socks for cheap (even more so with one of their constant 25-35% coupons).

Mine were a gift. I joked to my parents that I'd like socks for Christmas, and not only did they make be laugh by doing so but Dad absolutely hit it out of the park with these. I've had them for two years and only a couple are starting to show wear. I'm not easy on my footwear, either.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
When I sent my Helds in for warranty, I put the bike up. Even if I'm just going 'round the block to the grocery store with nothing on but gym shorts and a t-shirt, I wear my gloves and my lid. My hands are integral to my livelihood and I didn't blink at spending $250+ on a top-shelf set of gloves. Hell, I spent less on my pants and jacket put together (granted it was used gear, but still).

Hands are real fuckin' important, yo. Don't screw around.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Re: Leatherchat
I've used mink oil on every leather item I've ever owned, and have been more than happy with the results. Do I need to step forward in time a bit?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

I wear Nike compression 3/4 pants and a compression long sleeve shirt pretty much all the time when I'm riding, it actually makes a difference in terms of what I feel temperature wise. Maybe that's an Arizona thing since it doesn't really get over 50% humidity when over 110* here.

Floridian checking in, slightly lower temp but humidity regularly 80+, I find it helps me too. I only wear UA underwear, gym shorts for bottoms though (edit: under my gear pants, of course). The top is just amazing for getting out of the jacket though, and wicks so well that all I really have to do to dry off is head downstairs to our production area and hang off of one of the big 48" pedestal fans. I gave myself shivers the other day just from the swamp cooling effect.

People always loving ask "Isn't it hot? Don't you have a car with A/C?" They simply can't believe that a textile jacket could be anything but like their winter coats.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

A Cargo net will not hold a 30 rack of Budweiser during aggressive acceleration, for most other things they're great!

It will also not hold a gallon jug of milk. Or a 5qt jug of oil. Both of which I have been seen chasing down in my neighborhood.

I keep a folded up paper grocery sack in the tail of the SV for my grocery shopping on the way home. The net grabs on to that pretty well. A couple bungees for extra insurance and you can pretty well strap down whatever you can fit on the tail.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

M42 posted:

"Oh wow, revzilla's telling me alpinestars just released literally 100 new products for fall! There's gotta be at least a couple dozen women's things in there, right?! Maybe they've finally made a women's gp-pro glove!"

:rant:

(they haven't)

You just need to become a MotoGP star so that the big euro names will start taking women sport riders seriously and expand their product lines.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 9, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

SimonCat posted:

What's the thread's opinion on back pads in jackets?

Having just had an off where the back pad played a large part in my current good health (link), I'll never leave home without one. I don't know much about them, since my Darien came with whatever Aerostich puts in there, but mine protects the entire thoracic and lumbar spine, and spreads out in the lumbar region over my kidneys as well. Seemed to work pretty well.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 27, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It seldom gets down to freezing down here in Florida, but since I am not a fan of cold hands in any way, I bought a pair of Thermasilk glove liners and now even in 0C-5C weather my hands stay warm in my Held RaceTex gloves. I bet combined with a true winter glove you wouldn't even need heated grips.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Z3n posted:

In ear headphones for lyfe

Outlawed in FL :(

Earplugs are legal though :argh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Alright, I'm going to start piecing together my track gear. I'm pretty much sold on the A* GP+ perf jacket, and at some point the Missile pants (if pants ever go on sale), I'm set for gloves and helmet, and then boots. I feel like a huge A* fanboy, but is there a better track/sport boot for the money than the SMX+?

I live in Florida, so vented/perf everything would be real nice if anyone has any suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

-Inu- posted:

Dainese Torque or Course series. They provide more lateral protection than the SMX+, but they are nowhere near as comfortable and run narrow. SMX+ run regular to slightly wide. Don't buy the Nexus series if you're looking at Dai - they have poo poo for lateral support (similar to an SMX-6 or similar).

I prefer the SMX+ personally; Dai boots are just too uncomfortable for me (plus I do not have a narrow foot).

Yeah I got some bigass feet, SMX+ it is then.