Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

miscellaneous14 posted:

Playstation All-Stars now has a release date of October 23rd for both PS3 and Vita versions.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/06/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-smashing-bros-on-oct-23-in/

Can they not get Solid Snake for this because he was in Smash Brothers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I know I'm a billion years late on this, but I'm playing Mass Effect 2, and Jeaus Christ, how did this thing get released? I've had to restart levels because my team got stuck on an invisible platform five feet above the ground, and because the game refused to acknowledge a bad guy as dead, leaving my AI partners endlessly shooting at an empty patch of air.
Not to mention dying multiple times because Shepard sometimes chooses to walk six inches into a piece of cover and just stand there, half in a crate, rather than duck behind it, the "press R2 to fire probe" prompt getting stuck on screen and not going away until I docked at a planet in another system, characters turning invisible during cut scenes, and even the little thing where Shepard's head follows points of interest getting stuck so she wanders around looking at the wainscoting all the drat time.
I had heard tons of good stuff about this game, what's the deal? Is there a fix or update or patch I can download? Was there a refund? Did I get a copy from a recalled batch?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The worst part is that I really enjoy the game, aside from the broken bits. I do with their was a romance option with Jack tho, she's so moe.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
OK, most annoying Mass Effect 2 bug loving conceivable.I'm at the last bit of the suicide mission, no one has died, I'm fighting the giant skeleton with the four tubes, but the last tube won't fully break. Like, i shot it and it went a little through the breaking animation, but stopped and now the tube is there, but it's not full of orange fluid anymore, and it won't take any more damage. If i reload I go all the way back to the beginning of the mission. I was hoping to die and that that might send me back to the beginning of just this bit, but my loving squadmates kill the bug dudes before they can hurt me.
This is so loving terrible, Mass Effect 2 is the worst game in the world

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

I seriously think something is wrong with your copy of the game, or you are misunderstanding how that part of the game works.

I assumed I was doing something wrong too, so I watched the fight on youtube. IT's super weird, I even got the level up notification, but the thing won't die.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Housh posted:

My dirty little secret is that I never played Metal Gear Solid 4 and I keep seeing the greatest hits everywhere for dirt cheap and am tempted to play. However, I have only ever played Metal Gear Solid for psone briefly and I'm not really fond of stealth games.

I do love stories and long bullshit cinematics but I'm worried MGS4 might feel outdated to me after playing Heavy Rain, LA Noir and Max Payne 3 (I thoroughly enjoyed all of those games).

Would a person like me enjoy MGS4 or should I continue passing on it?

MGS4 is amazing, but I really suggest you play through 2 and 3 first. 4 is such an incredible culmination of everything that came before, all the characters and plot lines and questions of the series coming together, and it's so great, but if you aren't familiar with the characters and ideas from 2 and 3 I have to think the experience would be nowhere near as rich and fulfilling.
Plus, if you like stories in cutscenes in games, you should play 2 and 3 anyway, the Metal Gear Solid series is basically unmatched in terms of using the medium of video game to tell a story.
If you play on easy mode you don't really have to be stealthy at all.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

It was Johnny, the dude who showed up in every Metal Gear to date. He's just some guy who is a Genome Soldier, which I guess is why he looks like Snake? Because in Kojima Bullshit Land, being injected with Bog Boss' Soldier Genes or whatever the gently caress they were probably makes you look like Snake.

He's not actually a genome soldier. I think you missed a pretty important plot point in MGS4

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

He didn't get nanomachine injections for MGS4's plot point. That's unrelated to the gene therapy for Genome Soldier stuff. There is nothing that says he wasn't a real Genome Soldier aside from his general level of goofiness.

He didn't get the nanomachine injections because he was terrified of needles. There's no way he got the Genome Soldier injections.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
MGS2 says it's all just robots, too. "There's no such thing as magic, or the supernatural. Just cutting edge technology!"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

GUI posted:

I thought Ocelot was actually channeling Liquid in 2 and in 4 you're supposed to assume he got the arm replaced with a prosthetic one in the timespan between both games and that's when he started faking it.

wonderful writing

He wasn't. They explicitly say that in MGS4.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is this spread in Famitsu implying what I think it's implying?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlindNinja posted:

I was gonna say it sounds like a pretty accurate Deadpool.

No, he said some of it was funny.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

RichterIX posted:

If your local Best Buy happens to have a copy of Shadows of the Damned on the shelf, it's clearanced out to $9.99 at pretty much every store. You can't search for it on the Best Buy website, but if you go here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shadows+of+the+Damned+-+PlayStation+3/2480074.p?id=1218329496059&skuId=2480074&lid=New you can at least get the store locator (which is apparently only accurate if your store has more than 3 copies). I ended up having to call around and ask by SKU though.

I've played it for a couple hours and I've definitely gotten $10 worth of fun out of it. The controls can be a little wonky at times, but the guys are fun and loud, and I'm having a good time with it for what it is, which is RE4 with bad dick jokes.

Thanks a lot dude, I enjoyed the poo poo out of Lollipop Chainsaw and have been meaning to pick that one up ever since

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlindNinja posted:

It took a couple hours but I'm starting to really enjoy Infamous 2. It's too bad that the new Cole sounds like such a whiny douche.

The problem with Infamous 2, to my mind, is that Cole is a better character in the good playthrough, but the girls are both better characters in the evil playthrough. It's super annoying too, because you can play as a nice dude who helps people out, or an evil sociopath who kills people at random, and then you get to the end and neither of those fits either end. There aren't good or bad ends, there are self-sacrificing and pragmatic ends. The evil end does not fit the tone of mass murdering psychopath Cole at all, and it's super easy to imagine good Cole taking the evil end.
I really wish there had been none of the moral choice stuff, just a well written, cohesive story with fully fleshed out characters, until you get to the end and have to decide.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Spalec posted:

I hope they keep making Littlebigplanet x games. Maybe on PS4 they can do LBP FPS or RPG.

I'd be down for LBP VN.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

RichterIX posted:

If your local Best Buy happens to have a copy of Shadows of the Damned on the shelf, it's clearanced out to $9.99 at pretty much every store. You can't search for it on the Best Buy website, but if you go here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shadows+of+the+Damned+-+PlayStation+3/2480074.p?id=1218329496059&skuId=2480074&lid=New you can at least get the store locator (which is apparently only accurate if your store has more than 3 copies). I ended up having to call around and ask by SKU though.

I've played it for a couple hours and I've definitely gotten $10 worth of fun out of it. The controls can be a little wonky at times, but the guns are fun and loud, and I'm having a good time with it for what it is, which is RE4 with bad dick jokes.

boom boom boom posted:

Thanks a lot dude, I enjoyed the poo poo out of Lollipop Chainsaw and have been meaning to pick that one up ever since
I take it back. gently caress you, gently caress you, a million times gently caress you. The side-scrolling levels are the worst, most frustrating thing I have ever seen in a videogame. And there's three loving side-scrolling levels. I can't even express it, I need to hire that guy from The Thick of It to do a monologue about these loving side-scrolling levels.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
So, uh, if 10000 people pre order the Ni no Kuni with the book, something will happen?

http://www.ninostarter.com/home

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

It came out, it isn't getting a US release because the PSP is dead in the US.

they aren't even going to do a PSN release? You could play it on the Vita.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
OK, Shadows of the Damned may have some terrible parts, but the post credits scene owns so much.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
First goal for Ni no Kuni announced, it's 5 art prints.
At first I was like, 'that's kinda lame' but then I remembered, 'oh right, Studio Ghibli.'

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Did anybody ever play that Tron game? Is it horrible?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Policenaut posted:

It's not a complete leak (because it's a beta). David Hayter and Cole McGrath's voice actor both have said that Hayter is voicing for All-Stars.

I've said this before, but you know that David Hayter has done stuff aside from MGS, right? It's probably gonna be The Guyver

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ChetReckless posted:

As far as the last boss of U3 is concerned: I think that a boss fight in a game of that type is a little weird anyhow. I preferred the running escape in U2 from Shangri-La as a climactic moment, rather than the Lazarevic fight. I think trying to make a human-on-human fight as a "boss fight" is a little silly, especially if you've been fighting humans the whole time. If you don't have a big boss monster or device or something then think of something else. A quick time fist fight against another dude just doesn't really have the same effect.

The Metal Gear Solid series disproves that idea pretty well. MGS1 has the weakest final boss of the series, IMO.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
New Trailer for Lost Planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hPEM_3StVPI

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Yechezkel posted:

Journey Collector's Edition (Compilation/Adventure/Interactive Art) $29.99
* Includes fl0W, flower, Journey, soundtracks, documentary, mini-games, avatars, 30-day Playstation Plus trial, among other things

I haven't played any of those, except the browser version of Flow a billion years ago, I'm gonna buy the poo poo out of that. That is an amazing package

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
MGS4 trophy patch out on Monday, in Japan at least. Also probably at most.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Spite posted:

You'd be surprised at how good companies are at losing their poo poo. For example, I believe Blizzard doesn't have the source to the original Diablo anymore. Poof. Gone. I have no idea how that could happen but many game companies really aren't run that professionally.

It's like Bob Kane using his original pencils as scratch paper, or the BBC throwing out episodes of Doctor Who to make room in storage. Why would anyone want this stuff in the future?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Anyone else think the MGS HD download releases and MGS4 trophies are in preparation of a MGS Playstation Collection? I bought 1, 2 and peacewalker twice, 3 three times, but I'm dumb enough to buy 'em all again for "bonus content"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ohnoitschris posted:

I've got a question for the MGS guys here. I bought the HD collection on Vita, but my Vita broke and it's been at Sony for a while. I didn't get too far into it, but in the meantime I found MGS4 at Half Price Books for just $5. So, is it safe for me to jump right into MGS4 or should I wait for my Vita to return and play 3 first? I'd really like to start 4 while I have the Summer to enjoy it at home and reserve 3 for later, but I don't want to gently caress the story up if that's what would happen by playing 4 -> 3.

(Also, the previous owner was a smoker and the case reeks of cigarette smoke, and the install screen featured Snake smoking. That's the only time I've appreciated the smell of cigarette smoke :clint: )

I'd strongly advise against it. Skipping 3 won't affect you too much when you play 4, certainly not compared to 2, but mostly because 4 thoroughly spoils 3. 3 is amazing, arguably the best game in the series, and you really should play through it without having so much spoiled for you.

blackguy32 posted:

The story in MGS3 isn't really anything to write home about
see this guy? he's being sarcastic.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Also, it's gonna come with a demo for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That Ni no Kuni kickstarter preorder special edition thing made it's first goal. Goal #2 is a gold coin.

http://www.ninostarter.com/home

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

RichterIX posted:

I've been replaying MGS4 since they released the trophy patch and I can't really wrap my brain around how good it still looks compared to a lot of the stuff coming out now. I can't wait to see some Fox Engine stuff.

I'm doing a Chicken Run right now, literally i've had Snake sitting in a barrel with the tv off for the last half hour, and my god does it suck. I'm legitimately excited for the first Kojima game to be released with achievements, I bet he'll do something cool with them, and these added in later ones are a drag.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe they are SUPPOSED to look incredibly awkward. There are a lot of awkward people in that game.

Yet it also has the best romance scene in any video game I've ever played.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Harlock posted:

I'm really curious how people are playing the Walking Dead going by the end of chapter statistics.

Just gonna create a big ol' spoiler wall of text about Chapter 2 specifically:

Does the presence of Clementine change how people make their actions? It seems that people are choosing the 'good' path by setting a good example for her by not killing the farm brothers. I really think the game has made a system of pushing people towards noble/good things by having a child proxy to filter your choices. If Clementine wasn't in the party, would people hesitate or think twice about killing? I guess it becomes a philosophical question where do the majority of people playing the game believe in the goodness of people and therefore do good actions, even when their backs are against a wall? Or are they making these choices hoping to get the 'best' or 'happiest' ending? I did find it telling, however, that I was in the minority in choosing not to steal the food. There's a definite line in the player mindset where murder is taboo, but stealing isn't. That was interesting.

I'm definitely interested to see where the game goes in the next chapters, and am probably going to purchase the whole series. I think this is a good example of what PSN+ can do to raise the profile/sales of a game. I wasn't really interested in the game before, but by having a little taste of the episodic content, I'm hooked.

To me, she's the game. The Walking Dead games are about trying to be a good man in a horrible world, and whether or not you succeed is all based on Clementine. I mean, when you meet her the game might as well just have a little flashing sign come up, "this girl is your redemption"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If you bought a used PS3, and only bought used games, and played online a lot, wouldn't you actually be costing Sony money? not much of course, like fractions of pennies, but still.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Great news everybody, Dream Club Complete Edipyon! is coming to the PS3! This is a port of the 360's Dream Club Zero, but with new stuff including new events and outfits for the hostesses.
So if you ever wanted to feed a banana to a girl you are paying to be nice to you, all in the comfort of your own home, without actually interacting with a human, that is a thing you can do now.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Naw, you can say "No it's this really cool puzzle game, check it out" and I bet people will be fairly impressed actually. For something like Ar Tonelico 3 you could argue that it's an RPG too (not a particularly good one though). Not so for Dream C Club.

edit: Don't watch this unless you really, really mean it

Why do they always get people who are terrible at the game to do demos for it?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Harlock posted:

https://psnbeta.eu.playstation.com/userInfo.php?enroll=PlayStationAllStarsbeta

Good for PS3 and Vita users apparently.

Signed up for this. I'm so psyched for MGR, it'd own to get to play as Raiden again a few months early.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Honest Thief posted:

Why is sam fisher... what the heck, is snake aging backwards now too?

That's Big Boss, Solid Snake was never a part of MSF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Way too old to be MG era Snake.

• Locked thread