Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

1-Up posted:

Has anyone checked out the 100$ 3d-printer The Peachy Printer?
I'm thinking for a 100 it can be something fun to gently caress around with but not so much if it's a complete poo poo/scam.

Scam? Probably not. Complete poo poo? There's not enough information to call it either way. I've thrown a pledge at them already, but unless more information comes through before the end of the Kickstarter I'll probably withdraw the pledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Don Gato posted:

Is it kosher to post pen and paper RPGs here, or is there a thread on TG I can post in for that?

TG Kickstarter Thread II - Son of the Stretch Goal is probably where you want to put it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

$15 gets you into the beta right away... but it's $25 to get the game when it's launched.

Yeah, I don't get that. But I've been playing it and having fun with the game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I can certainly understand being annoyed (heck, I'm a backer of Golem Arcana already and it still managed to annoyed me. I want news on Berlin, dammit), but the way some people in the comments are carrying on you'd think that HBS had emailed them all a picture of their moms being violated.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

I just backed Faeria since it looks quite cool, and I got some extra cash to waste on KS. My only worry is lack of players, really, it doesn't have a ton of backers and being in Europe I imagine a lot of players aren't in my timezone. Guess I'll find out!

While it probably won't be indicative of post-launch, once you get your beta key you can see how many beta players are on when you are.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

It's listed in the right sidebar of the game's Store page, about 1 screen down:

Enhanced Steam on Google Chrome is flagging the game as having 3rd Party DRM as well, though it might just be inaccurate because the game is new.

Enhanced Steam is flagging it because it just checks to see if there's a 3rd Party DRM field at all. It doesn't care that it says "None", it just cares that it's there.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

So, has anyone else looked at Festival of Magic? It looks fairly well done, and there's something about literally farming your way to victory in an RPG that appeals to me. But I'm a little worried about the goal, especially in light of what they say in their Risks and Challenges section:

quote:

We have currently spent over $1M and will need a little short of $900k to complete the game. $250k we hope to get from all of you through Kickstarter, another $50k will come from the Norwegian Film Fund provided the Kickstarter is successful. Finally, the remaining $600k will have to come from stretch goals, pre-orders on Steam and finally, if we have to, from investors.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

It's what Clang did - and then they failed to get anyone interested in serious financing (though they seem to have done less with the money they got than other people, which was weird) so it's probably NOT a good idea to try that again.

To be fair, I don't think Clang was very up front about their Kickstarter being only a fraction of what they'd need to complete the project.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Lotish posted:

And Unsung Story has made its target with 20 hours to go.

I wonder how many people changed their pledges when they dropped getting all of the KS Exclusive Classes to $15 from $40.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Personally I backed it at $35, $20 for the game and $15 for the classes.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Cicero posted:

Last real dev update was 3 months ago, not 6, although yeah it's still been a while.

They did send out an email update to their subscribers 5 days ago, though.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Don't preorder games. That should be a hard and fast rule drilled into everyone nowadays but people still fall victim to preorders. Kickstarter projects are slightly different, because the amount of money they get beforehand directly influences how good the game will be. I'm sure most people who back KS projects don't care about sales happening not long after release because a large part of the reason they backed the project was to make sure it got as much funding as possible.

I dunno. I'm perfectly happy to preorder a game by a developer that has a history of games that I've really enjoyed.

But yeah, for most games I'll wait until reviews start coming out before even thinking of buying.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Cicero posted:

Subscribers? So, not to backers? Odd.

edit: I don't see anything about subscribing on their website.

My mistake, I double checked the first email from them and it wasn't a subscription thing, it was a newsletter for everyone who pledged $40 or more during the Kickstarter.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

What do you mean, that they're limiting the amount they can receive by offering such a steep discount or that they're making themselves look cheap?

The former. On one hand they'll get people who think the idea's worth $5 to maybe see in over a year, but not $15. On the other hand, they'll probably end up with people who might have chipped in $15 if that was the cheapest for the game, but won't because they can get it for $5, so why pay more?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

In case anyone's wondering, the Hex team made an official statement here.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey that's pretty cool! Its Mario-Kirby-Metroid-Vania. The art looks pretty good, I like their style, and they have a playable demo already!

Here's a kickstarter that's going places! And sure enough they're all but funded already :)

That's because it's their second try at funding, this time with a lower goal ($30k instead of $50k). They really learned a lot from their first attempt, which was fairly close to being successful.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

victrix posted:

Are there any other major kickstarter rpgs besides Torment, Eternity, and Wasteland 2 that I'm not thinking of?

There was also Shadowrun Returns.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Quiet you, my popcorn just finished popping :munch:

(it would be nice if someone had actual Kickstarter news, though - all the ones I was following finished)

In actual Kickstarter news, Massive Chalice will be releasing on the Xbox One as a console exclusive sometime after the PC release. Naturally, this has lead to many idiots commenting on how betrayed they are that the PC game they backed won't be coming to either the PS4 or Wii U.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Great Rumbler posted:

They basically ripped that off from one of the minigames in Jazzpunk.

Catlateral Damage's demo came out before Jazzpunk did.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not seeing the problem with it. As far as I'm aware the game's still coming out with what was promised in the Kickstarter, this isn't changing that at all. And if people pledging now means that the game I pledged for previously has more polish than I expected, I have no problem with that.

Now, if it somehow turns out that they've actually squandered all of their money (which I highly doubt) and they need more to finish the game, then yes, I'll agree that this is scummy.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

My what an incredibly generous way to chacterize that, how about this way more accurate way:

They made a ludicrous amount of money more than they wanted or needed and are now greedily grabbing for more with both hands by launching a second "kickstarter" with no middleman

This is totally what has happened, because scaling up a design based on the funding you get isn't a thing. I mean, the game they're producing is exactly the same as the one they would've made if they'd only barely made their goal, right?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Aww man, what!?

I didn't get a chance to Kickstart that game in time but I was so excited for it. :(

According to the update the game will still be made, it'll just take longer since they have to pretty much completely change their workflow to compensate for having their main artist in Russia, away from the rest of the team.

Whether or not they can pull it off remains to be seen, but I really hope they can.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Megazver posted:

Warmachine Tactics is in Early Access now. Anyone back it? How is it?

I'd hold off for a bit. It's very, very rough at the moment. Very definitely an early beta product.

It has lots of promise though.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Kenshin posted:

I just got my DIESELSTÖRMERS Steam key. Don't think I'll have time to look at it this evening, though. Anyone else?

I did as well, but the game won't be able to be downloaded until the 17th, so you're not missing anything yet.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Does anyone who's not trying to sucker people into those super scammy work from home schemes ever really discuss income in terms of per day?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

Devs basically abandoned it in May, claiming they 'might come back for Towns 2!'

Apparently they thought there would be a constant torrent of sales through the Early Access period, and quickly ran out of money. Gawrsh.

Specifically the devs claimed that the game was "finished" back in March or so, and that there would be no more updates. They then licensed it out to another company for a couple of months, but sales were so stagnant the other company dropped the project in May. Then there was talk of them selling the game to another company, but that fell through as well. And finally they released a small update last week, despite the game being "finished."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure that the sun told him not to release the digital version.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Sounds like they were fans of Limbo of the Lost.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

No Gravitas posted:

Shadowrun is still going.

The base game was OK. I really loved the setting, but the plot wasn't great and the gameplay was easy to cheese. Some patches came out, but I never played them. The expansion came out, I never played it.

Now the director's cut to the expansion is coming out too, and I think backers get it for free. There will be an armor system?

Maybe I will play through things again. It seems like this may what shadowrun was meant to be from the start, finally.

Yeah, backers get it for free, as will anyone who purchased the Dragonfall DLC (which will be removed from the market once the Director's Cut comes out).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Do we have an eta on that? I own both and was going to start but now I'm thinking I should hold off.

They have the release date set at September 18th.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

No, no, the official name is New 3DS.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

DoctorTristan posted:

I hate Valve a little more every day.

Pretty sure that's not even close to being the worst thing on Steam.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

I believe he took the money and ran.

I seem to recall it was massive incompetence rather that maliciousness that sunk the code gun project.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Kickstarter video opens with a guy biting into a pepper. I'm sold. :stare:

Allez cuisine!

But seriously, I wish I had the money to back it. It looks awesome, and exactly 0% of the video is of guys talking about the game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

Anyone who backed Zombie Playground, oh, two-and-a-bit years ago, may be surprised to find a Steam key in their emails. I honestly thought they'd abandoned it... Looking at the KS update, it appears they've run out of money and sold the game to another company?

They didn't sell the game to another company, they split off their dev team into its own entity. Probably for tax reasons or some poo poo like that.

But holy hell, the game is terrible, even for an alpha. It might get somewhere, someday, but not for a really, really long time at the rate they're going.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Wasn't there already a star trek bridge commander style game that came out a year or so ago, that you didn't need an oculus for because you actually played it with your friends in real life with everyone at their own machine?

edit http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

Artemis only has you control a single ship, as far as I'm aware, while Flagship has you controlling an entire fleet. It also isn't supposed to require the Oculus, although I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't play nearly as well without it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Great Joe posted:

I like that the trees have shadows but the guard towers do not.

Actually, that's only the case in the second picture. In the first one the guard towers have shadows while the trees don't.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Cicero posted:

We really should've done "10/10 would squat again" before.

How about "10/10 would squat on my stacks of money again"?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

No Gravitas posted:

I meant to post that and I forgot.

Yup. This is now in spades the most likely of the projects I backed to fail. Will be my first, if so. They talked vaguely about changing the "guts" of the game too.

This is not good. Not good at all.

Depending on how their original programmer did things and why they left, redoing the guts of the thing might actually be faster for a new programmer than trying to figure out their predecessor's code. Now, that's not saying it's a good thing, but it might be better than trying to work with whatever was left from the old guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Just got an email from the MASSIVE CHALICE kickstarter campaign. Apparently they've decided to send out beta keys to all kickstarter backers, today.

Yeah. If you haven't gotten an email about it, you can go to your Humble Bundle page to claim it.