Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Modern Pragmatist posted:

AppleTV 5.0.1 update just dropped.

- HD Previews for movies and TV shows
- Airplay, Home Sharing, and Netflix bug fixes

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448
My Apple TV has become useless since this update. Wifi only connects at 1mbps :mad:

I've tried a restore. I guess I'll try exchanging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Do you want to know all about iOS 6, OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion", new Macs, and all of the other cool poo poo Apple talks about as it happens?! Of course you do! Click the gigantic image or right here to head over to the WWDC thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MickRaider posted:

Seriously. I want goddamn apps on my goddamn apple tv.

Goddammit!
As far as I know, the Apple TV has almost no non-volatile memory -- just enough for iOS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do you want to know all about the iPhone 5, iOS 6, OS X 10.8.2, and all of the other cool poo poo Apple talks about as it happens?! Of course you do! Click the gigantic image or right here to head over to the event thread thread so you can discuss and follow along.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I was just wondering yesterday when that was going to come out. They'd been running betas for as long as iOS 6 was in beta, but it didn't release at the iPhone event. I figured they were possibly saving it for next month.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's holding a special event to debut the iPad Mini, a new iTunes, and some other cool stuff. Click the image or right here to head over to the event thread so you can discuss and follow along.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mex posted:

Any idea what the latest Update brought, if anything? I just updated but there's no patch notes or anything...
iTunes 11 compatibility.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

Use Handbrake to covert to m4v; there's a ATV3 profile out of the box. Every now and again it fails or only converts a portion, but 90% of the time it works. Can hardcode subs too, so check subscene to get the "foreign language parts only" subtitles if you don't have them.
Handbrake will reencode the video, which isn't ideal if it's already h.264. Assuming you're getting x264-encoded files in an MKV container, you just something to remux the content into an Apple TV-friendly container and maybe reencode a DTS audio track to AAC. I can't speak for Windows solutions, but I'm sure they exist.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Legdiian posted:

I wasn't even aware that it could send audio to any speakers. I always considered it the receiver of the airplay content as opposed to the sender.
The update in September added AirPlay-sender functionality to the Apple TV.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

5.2 software update is available.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

See: new thread title :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just power cycle it and try again.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

In my limited experience working with the people in the WDTV division, Netflix controls the user interface of their service on all 3rd-party products. My guess it that Apple has thrown some UI guidelines at them, though, which results in the odd interface we have for Netflix on the ATV.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Portable iOS devices can't be AirPlay receivers without being jailbroken. Apple removes apps that add that functionality from the App Store.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can the above be done with a macbook and that airplay receiver app?
I've never tried it, but I imagine so. I could try it tonight.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

On a Mac you can use MP4Tools.. It works in a fraction of the time handbrake does.
MP4Tools will still have to reencode xvid to put it into an m4v container, so it shouldn't save much (if any) time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Maybe. Alls I know is that in the instances I've used mp4tools it's been minutes, and when I use handbrake it's usually hours...
Sure, if you're remuxing from h.264 inside an MKV container. That simply grabs the h.264 video stream and drops it into an M4V. If he's coming from Xvid he has no choice but to reencode, which MP4Tools will actually do a worse job of since I've found its x264 settings less than ideal.

I keep and use Handbrake, MP4Tools, and Subler for conversion purposes since none of them are jack-of-all-trades.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They're going to take a while in Handbrake regardless of the source material. Handbrake will always reencode. You should be using MP4Tools or Subler to go from h.264 MKV to M4V.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jailbreak an iOS device and make it an AirPlay target.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Glad to hear it's working well. I recommended it to someone else on SA recently but hadn't actually tried it myself.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WWDC thread is up and will be opened in the morning, if you want to bookmark it now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

:siren:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Weren't we expecting a firmware update today?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bung Harmer posted:

Please please please will they finally add an Amazon Prime app.
At this point I'm actually more interested in a Steam in-house streaming client. I tried out streaming to my rMBP the other day and it was pretty neat. It immediately had me wishing my Apple TV had a client.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bung Harmer posted:

I don't do a whole lot of gaming anymore, but I can see the appeal. Would Steam even be interested in that right now since they are putting a lot of work into Steambox and Steam OS or whatever it's called?
They don't make money from the hardware anyway. They're just trying to get Steam on as many devices as possible because it will get more games sold through their client. To that end, I can't see why they wouldn't entertain a Steam streaming client on Apple TV. Would Apple entertain it? That's another question.

edit: We'd probably need an 802.11ac-compatible Apple TV for decent performance anyway, though I suppose GigE is always an option for some people who have the wires in place already.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 28, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

6.1 firmware is out. It makes it much easier to rearrange and even hide channels that you don't care about. I believe you had to resort to Parental Controls to hide channels in the past.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

https://support.apple.com/kb/ht3296

Been there for ages.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Also, there are only 3 providers that offer access to the 3 new channels. Thanks Apple!
How is this their fault? It's whoever they can get deals with as far as channels and cable providers go. Television rights are notoriously difficult to deal with. What is an acceptable minimum number of providers to support before they release a new channel?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I encounter so much bizarre righteous indignation over Apple on the Internet that it's frequently hard to tell sarcasm from the real thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Minidust posted:

So Netflix auto-plays the next episode of a TV show now, like on other devices. When did this start??
Today.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HBO Now is up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mahoning posted:

A few times since the update Netflix has just stopped playing what I'm watching and gone back to the episode select screen. Never ever happened before.
I think it's a Netflix issue, since I've been seeing this problem for the past week or so, and only updated to the newest update last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: WWDC time! :siren:

• Locked thread