Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

13 INCH DICK posted:

It's stock and if I were to guess it was to protect the turn signals there. Or they just felt like it, I don't know.

GIS seems to disagree, as do photos on Wikipedia. So does my memory of a few cars owned by friends over the years.

I can't say I've ever seen that bar before, though it could have been a dealer option. Definitely not factory as far as I can find, but it's ugly enough that I assume it was installed by a dealer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

With some white streaks mixed in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

13 INCH DICK posted:

Just threw the little poo poo box into a turn so hard it pogod and oversteered through the corner and I was only doing like 30 :hellyeah:

How many clowns were with you?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thread's over guys. :barf:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Snowdens Secret posted:

So I'm like 2000 posts behind in the chat thread, if it's worth repeating, what happened to the new shop you were going to and did you end up back at Firestone?

The short version is the new shop turned him into a janitor.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

13 INCH DICK posted:

it was like pushing brooms for $12 hourly

I make $5.50/hour + $1.10 per delivery + tips. And get to use my own car for deliveries. Did I mention my employer charges customers $2.59 to have me bring food to their door? I can put over 200 miles on my car during a busy shift.

I'd gladly push a broom for $12/hr, if it's a consistent schedule. :sigh: On a really really good night, my tips and wages combined may average out to $25+/hour, but my overall average puts me at about $11-15/hour... with me driving 800+ miles for that, and paying for my own gas + car maintenance.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 9, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Hey STR clean out your PMs bro

:doh:

Fixed

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Preoptopus posted:

Pretty sure this goes for a lot of auto techs and every delivery driver.

The local Domino's franchise does both pre-hire and random drug testing.

Worked there 2 days, and heard the GM toss out threats of drug tests at least a dozen times.

For some odd reason, they always have a shitload of ads for drivers on craigslist. No idea why... :350:

e: the store I was at for 2 days has several postings, looks like they've switched GMs at least. The GM that was in that store was a complete oval office.

bandman posted:

You would think that valets would at least be initially screened, seeing as the entire job is driving cars that aren't yours, but in the two years I worked nights as a valet, nobody I worked with got tested at any point. The only time anyone got fired was when guys would roll up to work absolutely reeking of weed. Of course, if you actually tested valets, roughly 90% would fail at any given time, so you minimize the risk upfront by hiring people who have enough sense to not show up to work baked.

One of my old roommates did valet work for a bit. He was completely stoned out of his skull when he left for work, but he'd shower + change clothes immediately before walking out the door.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 12, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't have to worry about a drug test at The Hut unless I file a workman's comp claim.

I saw one of the cooks start filling out paperwork for a sprained something or other after he slipped (GODDAMNIT WEAR SLIP RESISTANT SHOES YOU FUCKS), asst manager asked him "you know the owner is going to make you do a drug test right?". Cook: ".... can I wait a few days and see if it gets better before I fill this out then?" Asst mgr: "yes"

Out of ~35 employees, I can only name 4 that don't :2bong: regularly (the GM, one shift manager, one host, one driver). GM is rather anti drug, but he's also worked in food service long enough to know that he wouldn't be able to keep any employees if he did prehire or random drug testing. "I don't give a gently caress what you do at home, just do it on your own time" rolls out of his mouth fairly often.

When I worked at Whole Foods, they had a "no drug tests, period" policy. I could drive a forklift off of the dock while stoned out of my skull, break my arm, get treated on the company's dollar, and there would never be a drug test involved (the company trainer used that exact scenario in a talk actually). They would fire people for showing up obviously high/drunk, but I smoked plenty of :420: with various managers (off the clock and outside of work), including store managers.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 12, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Man. Did Hondas of that vintage have anything even resembling a crumple zone

The driver. Adding passengers also added more crumple zones.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

When did 13 inch start using reddit?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How do you know this?

:q:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Snowdens Secret posted:

What made it need a whole kit? Just general old age or did something break and take everything with it?

On every car I've owned, the timing belt, water pump, idlers(s), tensioner(s), cam seal(s), and crank seal were all done at the same time, regardless of if a shop or myself did them. The first time I had a timing belt done, the owner of the shop insisted on doing it that way when I questioned him about it and explained why he always did timing belts like that. Made sense to me, I sure as hell wouldn't want to go back in and replace a :10bux: part that otherwise take an hour+ to get to... when I could have changed it while everything was already apart. :downs: Kind of like when you pull a transmission to replace a clutch and don't replace the throwout bearing...

13 INCH DICK posted:

water pump leaking out the weep hole, belt and idlers looked good

Doesn't coolant soak into belts anyway?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 5, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Oh okay weird, they had like a steady blue glow. Must have been the lighting.

Most phones, and entirely too many digital cameras, don't have a good IR filter on the lens - you saw the infrared glow from the cherry.

14, we have shockingly similar tastes in music, but you don't shout at traffic nearly enough. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tool shows sell out nearly instantly.

My GM and I were discussing Tool the other day. When he learned that I've never seen them live, he told me next time they come through, I AM going. No questions about getting a day off or anything, just tell him I need the day off to get some Tool.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MJK did a wine signing in... 2008? or so at the Whole Foods I worked at.

Didn't get to meet him since I worked that day. :sigh: I did get a signed bottle, at least. I have some stories about rear end in a top hat customers that day though. Turns out when you close off the least-used entry to the store, it suddenly becomes the most important one, and suddenly super vital to anyone handicapped (despite it being nowhere near handicapped parking). :downsgun:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

keykey posted:

The worst concert I went to with him was Killswitch Engage. It was a last minute small club thing apparently except they brought large concert speakers into a small club, I couldn't hear for 3 days after only being in there for 15 minutes. Even outside where it was "listenable" everything was distorted. Though that's the only time I've seen them so I don't have any other venues to compare their sound to.

I saw Killswitch a few years back. Pretty awesome show. :allears:

They opened for Static-X though - at least when Killswitch was on stage, there was just barely enough open space for people to move around (and mosh, and crowd surf). Once SX came up, the place was packed so tight that I couldn't even scratch my balls.

This was at House of Blues Dallas though, which really doesn't have a ton of open floor. Been to a few other shows there since then, it's a great venue.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

People who drive Explorers are probably the same trash who pay $5000 for a cored-out '97 CRV because it's "safer" than a $2000 2002 Civic sedan.

One of my coworkers has a 2010 Explorer. Since he started working here (again), I see him more in either loaners or his mom's car, the drat thing spends a stupid amount of time in the shop.

Admittedly, the dude is 20 and drives like a giant rear end in a top hat, but how do you manage to keep breaking a fairly new vehicle (with about 40k) badly enough that it spends at least 10 days of the month in the shop?

fake edit: he wrecked his mom's brand new 2014 Cooper on the way home from work about a week ago. The Coop doesn't even have plates yet, it still has dealer tags. I'd love to turn this into something about kids not being able to drive, but someone backed out of a parking spot without looking into the side of it, so...

At the moment he's driving his mom's loaner to work, while his mom is driving his loaner. :psypop:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Those amps are actually pretty drat good, according to several friends who have them.

For basic "move music from mp3 player/phone/etc to speakers" duty, you can't really go wrong with them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

It's this or I buy another Lightning, which is going to be more entertaining for AI?

Prelude, natch.

I'd drive the hell out of it, personally.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There's a garage door opener, correct? It should be plugged into an outlet on the ceiling; I can't say I've ever seen a residential one hard-wired.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Isn't that a shared garage with a few other cars?

Time to peek in the other cars to see if one suddenly has a lot of spiders. :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

and yet, so terrible...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I know I took apart a DA cluster at one point (90-93 Integra), and was even able to reset the odometer (without the tell-tale silver lines showing up between the numbers). Before anyone flips their poo poo, this was a spare cluster I'd picked up from eBay - I needed basically everything in the cluster except the speedometer. I want to say the speedometer unscrewed from the printed circuit board, which gave me a lot of room to get inside (it was still a cable-driven speedo).

The tl;dr is you probably don't want to pull the needle. The one time I did that on a Honda ended in a very $painful$ trip to the dealer..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Eagerly awaiting the "70s Civic, only 26k original miles" post on Craigslist. :f5:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I quit 9 years ago. I'll still smoke if I'm really drunk, but otherwise it doesn't appeal to me. (:420: on the other hand... eh, few times a week)

That said, when I bought my car it had a little bit of a new car scent in it (despite being 7 years old). I was a bit surprised to find a few cigarette burns a couple of weeks later, especially since it doesn't have an ashtray of any kind. I guess someone ran an ozone machine in it at some point.

I can smell a heavy smoker's car when I walk past it in a parking lot; I gag if I have to sit in one now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

More of a trouser clockspider, really.

KozmoNaut posted:

Cockspider?

They call him.. Spider.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

este posted:

In high school my old Volvo kept going through generators, and during the periods when they weren't working I got awfully good at popping the clutch. I even did it in reverse a couple times :science:

Reverse typically has the shortest gear (even shorter than 1st) - so it's most likely to spin the engine over when you pop the clutch, if you have enough momentum. :science:

If you don't have enough momentum, it's the most likely to just lock up the wheels.

I've tried to roll start the Ion down a hill a couple of times for giggles, even with a full battery. It'll start, but either it'll run fine, or the throttle doesn't respond at all. If the throttle doesn't respond, it starts around 1500 RPM (cold idle is 1100), and it slowly drops until it dies. :confused: drat COMPUTERS :corsair:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Your enjoyment of the Mighty Boosh is completely based on whether you want to strangle Noel Fielding or not after watching for five minutes.

I kind of have a man crush on him, so there's that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the shortest gear would make the engine spin the fastest, which would make it the hardest gear to turn the engine over in from a roll. But maybe you mean that the shortest gear will spin the engine fastest making it more likely to start? For what it's worth I used to use 2nd gear mostly when roll starting my car every morning (the battery would go flat overnight).

Nailed everything. 1st or reverse are most likely to get the engine spinning fast enough to actually fire up, but also offer the most resistance when you let the clutch out. I'd like to say you need at least 250 RPM to fire up a gasoline engine (if it's not -20C outside), but I'm nowhere near sure on that. Reverse tends to be a little shorter than 1st. You have to get a good momentum built up for 1st or reverse; in my own experience, you need to be at a "moderate jogging speed".

If you have the help of a hill, 2nd, or even 3rd, would work. I've actually used 5th on a really steep hill - popped the clutch long enough to get the engine to spin, then downshifted to an appropriate gear once it was actually running.

Twerk from Home posted:

I've heard that you'll wreck your catalytic converters quickly if you're doing this to modern cars, but I'm not sure why this is any harder on it than cranking an engine that's struggling to start.

The injectors will start firing once the ECU detects that the engine is spinning (on most makes). You'll get a little bit of raw fuel dumped into the cat, but nowhere near as much as something on a cold start with a carb. Nothing that'll ruin it immediately; if you constantly push-start your car, then yeah, you may need new cat(s) sooner.

I'm sure each car maker has a different way to handle push starting in their ECUs.

veedubfreak posted:

Follow up question, how do you open the loving doors if the battery dies (no door handles).

A good quality install will always have a manual override of some sort. Usually a hidden button somewhere, or hidden key switch.

Otherwise, there's plenty of bricks around. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think we need to set up some kind of kickstarter or something to help him get this pile.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hey now, Interstate sells a decent battery. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

He already has several dick piercings anyway, not like this will be that much different.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:wtc: Best nightmare inducing username/post combo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Best of luck man. You have my contact info if you want to talk to anyone.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I doubt that's the original motor, but the motor is old enough that I can't find anything about it. The only link I got when I googled the model # was for a government auction compressor that stated the motor was seized.

That motor is over $300 to replace, btw, so treat it right. Dayton doesn't even make a 1.5hp (or 115V) compressor motor anymore, looks like Grainger only carries Marathon (which is decent) and Weg (who I have no experience with) in 1.5hp compressor motors.

Looks like the original contactor and wiring too. That contactor will probably outlive all of us (just need to buff/adjust the contacts now and then), but I bet some of that wiring is in rough shape.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 4, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Can you still get a rebuild kit for that carb?

Nice score.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: goddamnit. not only is quote not edit, but it's also the wrong thread entirely!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:cripes: had this all typed up last night, and never clicked submit.

dissss posted:

I've never heard of anyone breaking a throttle cable on a Japanese car, even an 80s model with hundreds of thousands of kilometers and no one pro-actively replaces them.

I had one fail in an odd way on an 88 Honda Accord - it wore through the plastic sheath right at the firewall, and frayed, and got jammed.

I wound up loving with it until it would idle at about 4000 RPM, and just shut it off at red lights. Drove it like that for a week or so, it would do about 50-60 in 5th like that. I could give it more gas, but backing it off required pulling over and forcefully pulling the cable back through the firewall.

I also had the clutch cable snap on that car once, so I'd shut it off at a stop, put it in 1st, and start it when it was time to go. I'm amazed how durable that starter was, it never hiccuped despite me using it to move the car around my apartment parking lot for over a month after the timing belt broke (apartment had some rule that a car couldn't sit in the same spot for more than a few days).

Mileage was unknown - carfax didn't exist when I bought it, but the odometer showed 130k. When carfax finally did come out, I found out its last inspection (in loving Minnesota) had an odometer reading of 180k.. 5 years prior to my buying it. Aside from the timing belt breaking (and somehow not bending any valves; mechanic insisted on lining it up and doing a compression check before doing a teardown), and the alternator taking a poo poo in the middle of a 650 mile road trip (it would still charge above 4000 RPM, so I spent the rest of the trip in 4th gear), the drat thing never let me down. It was bitchy, and I suspect it had a bad cam position sensor (sometimes it would be really hard to start, and sometimes it would start jerking really bad for about 30 seconds complete with the tach going apeshit, then the CEL would pop on and it would drive fine afterwards), but it was reliable. It also gave me random showers going around turns in the rain, since the sunroof drain tubes were clogged to poo poo.

Fucknag posted:

Probably dropped a DBW engine into a car with a cable throttle and didn't want to redesign the throttle system to accommodate a matching pedal assembly, last model year or two of the chassis or whatever.

The first year of the Saturn Ion (and I assume the Chevy Cobalt) used a cable throttle. They switched to DBW in 2004. Then switched up the automatic transaxles for 2005 in the Ion (the manuals are the same Getrag F23 that was used in the Cavalier, Grand Am, etc).

My boss has a 2004 Ion sedan. It's a pretty unique unicorn - it's the first year DBW, but still has the 5 speed automatic Aisin-Warner automatic (AW55-50SN - which was only in 03-04 Ion sedans, not coupes). You absolutely want to avoid the 03-04 Ion coupes with an automatic, they used a very weak CVT (it's easy enough to swap in the Aisin-Warner 5 speed auto when they fail, it bolts in, just need to swap the TCU and some wires IIRC). He's mentioned he doesn't like how it shifts (which is a common complaint, and why GM dropped the 5 speed Aisin auto for their own 4 speed), but his average MPG is better than what I get in my 06 coupe with a manual transmission. His is also the relatively rare "Ion 1" - meaning it has a radio and not much else (the 2 is most common - power locks, power mirrors, optional power windows, CD player). I'm actually surprised it even has a/c, since he (and the car) lived in Detroit most of his life until this year, and the car was purchased new in Michigan. I don't see a/c being needed in that area most of the year, and I know a/c was optional on the Ion.

Speaking of, I've offered to track down a new front bumper for his - he had an "oops" with another car, but only the bumper cover was damaged. I'm wondering if I can fit one in my car, if I yank the sub, fold down the back seats, and fold down the front passenger seat (it folds flat). :getin: I need to make a junkyard run soon anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spaz (that's his name, right?) doesn't even seem more than mildly bothered by it.

But if he's anything like his owner, he might want to inject some .... DNA... into it. He has a better chance of actually fitting in that small opening (unless 13 inch is actually micropenis - I've seen such a thing up close, it's....... sad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Generally under 3 inches erect (Wikipedia claims 2.75 inches erect). The one I've seen up close was about 2.5 inches.

He's a top, his boyfriend is a bottom.... :allears:

• Locked thread