Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalina
May 20, 2008

All right, I've finally caught up with this thread! Thank you for LPing the Tokimeki Memorial games, vibratingsheep.

Back in the day, 1998 probably, I read about Tokimeki Memorial for SNES and was able to play it using an emulator, despite no knowledge of Japanese. I read made up stories in my head about what the characters were saying, too. I even managed to get endings for every girl, too.

I went on to buy legitimate copies of Tokimeki Memorial 1, 2, and 4, and Girl's Side 1, 2, and 3. I probably would have tried 3, too, but there wasn't really enough information in English to fill in the blanks.

Speaking of TM3, am I crazy, or did I read that:
(Tokimeki Memorial 3 Spoilers(?))
quote="Sindai" post="423893937"]
Is she [Mira] a magical girl? That would be a pretty good excuse.
[/quote]
There's a character in 3 who has to keep ditching your dates, and in the end it turns out that she's actually a magical girl shrine maiden who fights evil demons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

Thanks for showing Sentimental Graffiti at the end there. I definitely see what you mean when you say it isn't a good game, but it seems like it at least has some interesting ideas. And it didn't make me physically uncomfortable to watch like Senran Kagura did.

I read about the concept of Sentimental Graffiti in the late 90's and had always wanted to try it. I'm glad that dream came true! I agree that it seems better in concept than in execution.

The only upside of now knowing that Senran Kagura exists is that now have a conversation topic for my friends who are familiar with otaku culture and it's...excesses..."Hey, did you know there's a game with a panty fortune?"

Catalina
May 20, 2008

My vote is for C.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh no, picking which girl to date is Tokimeki Memorial 2 is always so hard. :ohdear:

I'll pick A, mostly because of Miho. She's cute, and I want to see reactions to That Thing that makes her appear twice. Plus, she comes with a frog doll, and this is the Something Awful Forums :getin::

(My younger sister also attempted to hijack my account to change my vote to B, because of Miyuki.)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

By the way, vibratingsheep, the EVS disc for sale on PSN has all of the girls' voice data and is 600 yen:
http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0101npjj00308_000000000000000001.html

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Aw, I missed the stream! vibratingsheep, do you ever upload videos of your streams?

Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever finished a Miho game with her ending.

(Minor spoilers for some Game Mechanics that haven't been discussed yet)
I got all the way to late in the last year before I realized that Takumi had set his sites on Miho as well. Since Miho likes Art and Literature, my guy was too wimpy to defeat Takumi in the Duel for Her Love.

:argh:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I believe there are two more childhood events. One is with Homura, and one is with Kasumi, and both lead to events that happen later. Since we're not going after Kasumi ever or Homura this playthrough it won't matter, but if you anyone wants to go the road to *~Tokimeki Memorial 2 Utter Perfection*~

I found an updated Perfect Childhood guide with how to get those two events in addition to all the other ones here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/576446-tokimeki-memorial-2/67479777

The Homura one happens Days 2 and 4 outside of the store near the small park. It leads to an event in Winter 2001/2002.
The Kasumi event happens on Days 2 and 4 near the billboard near the small park. It leads to an event on 12/23/01.

(If the internet hadn't existed in 2000, maybe I would have done something more productive with my summers than learning to search message boards (then Yahoo! Groups) and FAQ sites for information on games in languages I can't understand. Oh well.)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Funnily enough, one of the guys in Tokimeki Memorial 2 has pretty much the same storyline as Kaori, except with BASEBALL.

I'm gonna have to vote Miho Because of the frog plush. (Also reasons.) Childhood promises are a dime a dozen in this game, but there's only one that has a childhood promise with a frog doll, too. :frogbon:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Alright, vote closed, it's time to start working on the Miho run! I'll be streaming in about two hours on my channel:

http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

Perhaps in the fullness of time. We'll see.

This is another thing I'd love to see, too...the problem is there's too much good stuff in these games! I really appreciate everything you've done and you are doing! It's been really fun to understand things and see other sides to the games.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Yay! I've been checking since last night to see if this update was up! :neckbeard: It's so much fun to be able to fully understand events; I find it really hilarious that Akane just comes right up and copies your homework without even saying anything.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

If Wikipedia is to be believed, Tokimemo 2 wasn't released on PSP as like an actual physical UMD release like Tokimemo 1 was which is how I played it, but both of the PS1 versions of the games are available on the Japanese PSN which entails having a Japanese PSN account which I do not currently possess but sounds like it'd be easy enough to set up, so you can play both on a PSP like that.

Delightfully, this means the PSP has access to two separate but completely identical versions of Tokimemo 1.

I can confirm this, as I used a Japanese PSN account on a US PSP to play the PSP port and the Playstation versions of TM1 and TM2. Though I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to use my US Credit Card, I had to purchase Japanese PSN Gift cards. That was about 4 years ago, though. I accidentally ended up spilling water on my PSP and haven't replaced it yet.

Also, I don't remember which, but either the PSP version of Tokimeki Memorial 1 or the PS version had better graphics and sound. You can tell by which of the openings looks the most compressed.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

It's ok if you hate us. We still love (to see) you (suffer)!
Though I admit I have to cringe every time I see how long a reload takes with the EVS data.

My vote is for A :frogbon:

Miho theories so far:
Miho has a split personality.
Miho has a twin.
Miho has a twin brother who likes to cross-dress.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The_Frag_Man posted:

Your dedication is appreciated. :)

Agreed. Thank you for all of your sacrifices for the sake of entertainment. :)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I can't decide if the Shiori run in TM1 or the Miho/B-ho run in TM2 is more painful. (They're really fun to watch, though...)

I'm really enjoying the cultural notes, and hearing about reactions in the fan community. It really adds to the game!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

It sort of reminds me of Gingerbread Houses at Christmas.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

When things go badly, Miho ignores you and talks to fairies because she'd rather talk to them than to you. It's... well, it's not much better than the B-ho death glare, really.

Miho: Oh, could you be a time fairy?
Miho: Can you change the past?
Goon: Shirayuki-san?
Goon: :aaa:

This run is even more amazing than I ever imagined.. :allears:

This also makes the "B-ho is a time traveler" theory more likely! B-ho obviously comes from a future where Goon almost got an ending with her, but botched it up with bombs. Then she became the Time Traveling Fairy to try and rewrite history. "Goon, I will soak up all the terrible responses for Miho, so that you two can be together!"

Catalina
May 20, 2008

This whole update was amazing. I kept laughing and laughing, and had to explain what was so funny.

Sketchie posted:

Anyway, that Miyuki. I think I know who I'm voting for if he ever decides to do an alternative run of Tokimeki Memorial 2. She's like a disaster waiting to happen!

Sup, fellow Miyuki hopeful? :hfive: Vibratingsheep has said he'll probably do another run. Since Miyuki is my sister's favorite, I'm honor-bound to vote for her in a second run. (I'm sorry, Sheep, I promise if there's a third run I will pick a girl who isn't painful for you)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

I have actually thought about doing this. However, there are 13 characters total, so I don't know how long such an undertaking would last - I could probably do it intermittently and go back every once in a while, but part of the appeal of Tokimemo is all the fun side stuff.

Just the fact that you're considering it is exciting. I think it says a lot for the game that it's fun and lovable, even if you're only playing it with a FAQ with no knowledge of Japanese.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

:ohdear: This is too hard to decide!

I...I guess I have to go with B-ho.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Friar John posted:

That's a very good point. It seems like the world only acknowledges one Miho! You'd think more people would know "oh yeah, the Shirayuki twins" or something.

That's what I find hilarious about this run. Miho and B-ho keep switching personalities to opposite extremes, yet no one seems to notice enough to mention it. And Goon just rolls with it during the dates.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Shofra posted:

I just read through this thread over the past day, and I'm really enjoying the look into the TMM games I haven't played. I really hope you play at least one of the GS games so we can see the comparison to these (My vote is either 3 because it lacks an english patch, or 2 because I know it has a better selection than 1.)

:science: The group that did an English translation patch for TMGS2 is pretty far along on a patch for TMGS3. The latest news on their forums is that it's almost time for them to pick out beta testers. They're not very public about it, because when they were doing the TMGS2 patch, they kept getting too many annoying messages demanding it be done sooner.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

I declared this thread as a Tokimemo megathread, and at this point I think I would be guilty of false advertising if I didn't play at least one of the Girl's Sides. I'm tempted to try a completely blind playthrough of it, but I don't know if that would be satisfying if I missed any fun events.

Meanwhile, I have updated the OP with the pervy convenient side-by-side comparisons of Miho and B-ho's bust sizes. I remember one old, fun theory from back in '99 - "maybe her personality changes when she puts in the pads".

Personally, I think it would be fun to watch you do a blind run. TMGS 1, 2, and soon to be 3 can be played in English, unlike the mainline series. Plus, you're very familiar with the Tokimeki Memorial series, but haven't played Girl's Side yet, so your reactions would be fun to see.

I would recommend the 3rd one for PSP if possible since the third one has the most features, and the PSP release added more to it. (the English translation will also only be for the DS version of 3) Any are good, though!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Shofra posted:

As much as I love more content...skinship. Don't tell me you don't want to see everyone react to skinship mode. Say it to my face. :colbert:

All that aside, 3 would be a good choice regardless of system for the mechanic they introduced in it with dating boys.

I had forgotten they had placed skinship with another minigame for the PSP version. I think my brain was trying to erase it from memory because if you fill up all the hearts in the PSP version, you enter the also-unfortunately-named Climax Mode. :stonklol:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ok, I think it's time to stop this train of thought now.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Schubalts posted:

We never make wrong decisions in these games.

I 100% agree with this.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Wow! That update's up fast! Thanks for

vibratingsheep posted:

Personal note: I'm mildly acrophobic. Once, when I was a kid, I got on one of those Ferris wheels with the spinning cages and the carnie forgot to unlock the cage after letting me in and closing the door. So the cage was locked in position relative to the wheel, and when my cage reached the top of the wheel, I was stuck upside-down. Right around then, the power went out and the ferris wheel froze with me strapped to my seat in an upside-down cage. That was probably the least fun 5 minutes of my life.

For this reason, I very quietly freaked out when Hikari put that image in my head. Back to the LP!

:stonk: That's terrible! And here I thought you were just pausing to figure out which was the right choice.

As for Mei and Homura, I've put off on reading the other LP, in case we end up covering them here.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Now I'm wondering if the arcade game with monkeys driving trains is real - it sounds cute!

vibratingsheep posted:

B-ho's Limit Breaks

1) "You should be wary of the water today" - B-ho's butt gets lit on fire, and B-ho takes damage.
2) "Today should be a good day for your health" - Goon starts to gain an aura of strength, but it lights him on fire instead and he takes damage.
3) "Today, you will get what you wish for." - Kero Kero Debeso-chans rain from the sky and deal damage to all characters, including B-ho.

Ahahaha, we picked the best run.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Poulpe posted:

:crossarms:
So B-ho is basically a fake Miho with worse abilities who can't actually do real fortune telling. What is her game? At this point it would seem like B-ho is an outright imposter if we didn't already know they live in the same home.

Or the same head. :v: I'll bet that she (they?)checks the fortune and send Miho out on good luck days, and B-ho out on bad luck days.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hellioning posted:

I second this motion.

Okay, maybe we can skip Miyuki. While I admire her 'things will get better eventually!' outlook that she seems to have, that voice is grating as all hell.

NO.

If nothing else, she has the best ending. (Probably tied with Homura)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dragongem posted:

Do whatever you feel is most fun, VS. I'll be enjoying it regardless :v:

Agreed. :)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

7/10-7/14: Midterms

33rd: Fudou Gunma
107th: Sakaki Takumi
I get way more pleasure out of us beating Takumi at exam scores than I probably should.

Aw, how cute! She even dressed Kero-chan in his pajamas, too!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Mei: You understand Mei's interests quite well, rear end in a top hat.
Mei: Today is a great day indeed.
Goon: (Good, it looks like she really liked the present.)

WHY does this game have so many awesome girls in it?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

I'm not a big believer in AFD pranks, but I could probably stream it tonight - could borrow a friend's Xbox and play the weirdness that is Bistro Cupid 2 for nostalgia and utter weirdness mixed together.

I would love to see it!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I think Miho telling you that you're under a sign of calamity that only can be cleared by going on a date with her is adorable as heck. :3:

vibratingsheep posted:

Man, B-ho is really interested in showing off the goods.

By that, of course, I mean the brand logo on her umbrella, which is the same VK as her handbag and backpack.

Hahahaha!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Otome game protags don't have that no-eye thing, do they?

The vast majority don't, but a few of them do. I know I've seen some eyeless protagonists featured on the images of some of those so-bad-they're-good android otome games.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh my God, this is the best game ever and the best Let's Play ever. I'm so happy I saw that katsudon event.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Nondevor posted:

So is that a side game to TM2 like the puzzle one? I like how they labeled it ADVENTURE GAME at the very bottom, but you mention needing a DDR pad...

Oh, it is an Adventure Game that benefits with the use of a DDR pad. :allears:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Now that I see it, I think the 4:3 ratio makes everything look a lot better.

Raitzeno posted:

Also, was that Kotoko sitting at a background table in the restaurant on Christmas Eve?

I've always thought of her as the daughter from Princess Maker 3, showing up for a cameo in another stat-raising simulation game:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Life Simulation is a genre I really like, so I know way too many a few!

Harvest Moon (Link goes to SA thread) is a nice life simulator series that's been around for a long time. As for which one to get, the answer is usually, "the latest one on your favorite system."

The Princess Maker series is good, but can get a bit creepy in the fanservice department. Princess Maker 2 was translated to English but never released. There is an archived Let's Play of Princess Maker 2.
(If you're patient and adamant about playing, Princess Maker 4 & Princess Maker 5 can be played with a machine translation and a guide for installing the Japanese game and text extractor).

Princess Maker 5 also has an In-Progress Fan Translation that is about 84%+ done.

For non-creepy Princess Maker type games, Hanako games has Cute Knight Kingdom, as well as Long Live the Queen. Both have demos, and Long Live the Queen currently has a Let's Play that is currently running. Hanako games also has Magical Diary, which is a life-sim with a Harry Potter-esque magic school bent. A Let's Play is currently semi-active here

Speaking of Harry Potter-esque magic school life simulation games, there's also Academagia . It's hardcore in-depth simulation game for gamers who really like reading, looking at numbers, and making decisions with a cost-benefit analysis. There is an archived Let's Play, as well.

Two very little-known but really good life simulation games with English translation patches are Wonder Project J for the Super Nintendo, and Wonder Project J2 for the Nintendo 64. The theme of the series is raising a robot boy (J) or a robot girl (J2) and teaching them to become a real boy or girl. :3:

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, and let me second the mentions of Persona 3 & 4, and Cherry Tree High School Comedy Club. I also like the Sims 3 and the Sims Medieval, but I personally classify them as a different type of life-sim

Catalina fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 15, 2014

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hey, he said Life Simulation games. All of my games have numbers in them, thank you very much. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Fading Hearts :unsmigghh:

That name sounded familiar to me, so I dug back to where I thought I had heard about it....
Canada's Worst Visual Novel

"What I didn't know was that I was about to play what can only be described as "The Room" of visual novels."

Welp, now I have a new entry on my Steam Wishlist.

• Locked thread