Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
If there's one thing I'm sick of on this website, it's the loving Boring trolls, with their "HUrrdurr so edgy1!!!!1" posting and logical fallacies making GBS threads up the gamer gate thread. That's why ithought I'd make a thread dedicated to making constructive posts, and the winner gets afree forum upgrade or avatar.

To enter: post the word "enter" in this thread and I'll pm you the nature of the constructive post to be made. Then, once you've made it, pm me a link back. You can post your email if you don't have pms.

Points will be awarded based on adherence to post prompt, constructiveness, and how good the post is, and I'll announce the winner sometime on Tuesday.

GGood luck and rememb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

No!!!! tgats wrong!!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Pms and email sent, to the first five contestants.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

My latest thread on some major Do's and Do-Not's in GBS posting was very constructive. Please check it out and get back to me.

Thank you,

Killed a Girl in '96

It's ineligible for the contest because it was made before the start, but congrats on the thread.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Sent the pms.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I'm pretty psyched... I can't wait to see all the good and constructive posts

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

erm wtf...?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I've sent messages to everyone up to CommonTerry, and I'll send the rest once I get home. Cheers, and happy posting.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I think I've sent a message to everyone who entered

Alas Boobylon posted:

enter (the gas chamber)

Uhh, :stare: is this guy for freaking real.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

hey so how does this work i'm a moron. You pm a promt and the entrants pm back the post instead of posting it here right?

ps, enter

You make the post for real, and you pm me a link, thus protecting the integrity of the contest.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

professor shark can't be bought by your dumb asss upgrades op get hosed!

(In an insanely sarcastic timbre) Oh no, not professor shark. The contest won't be good, now.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

madeupfred posted:

Can you enter even if you have all the upgrades?

Yes - you can get an avatar/title, or a name change cert or uhh an unban account cert

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I think I've got all of you... some people are already sending their follow up pms, and let me just say it's already going to be a close call

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

OMFG FURRY posted:

whats the time limit?

I'm going to say you have until Tuesday

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Weird Sandwich posted:

Will you be posting the links to peoples entries?

yes, i'll post all the entries. There's some seriously constructive stuff here.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I'm gping to send the PMs to the rest of the people who entered, and then that's it: registration for the contest is officially CLOSED!!!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

no they will not posted:

I'm gping to send the PMs to the rest of the people who entered, and then that's it: registration for the contest is officially CLOSED!!!

Quoting this, for the new page.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

nomadologique posted:

god drat it this is BULLSHIT excluded because i don't have plats, of course the contest is just for the loving rich and monied, ain't no opportunity in this life if you weren't born into it and bootstraps are BULLSHIt

Actually, two (2) people entered by posting gtheir e-mail addresses.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I'm going to say, another 24 hours or so before judging.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
You have to post the thread...

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Lol, I'm already glad I didn't sign up in time. This is shambles.

It's actually going extremely well.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

bonestructure posted:

I'm just curious to see what kind of weird prompts everyone else got.

I'm going to pick a winner and post all the threads (and unwritten prompts by quitters) in about six hours... there's still time for people who haven't posted

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Time is up! I've decided in going to wait until tomorrow morning before announcing the winner, so watch this space... It's all extremely constructive

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Wow, there were a lot more people who posted than I thought: 16 entries to 22 no shows. Impressive. Here are the non-posters, and the prompts they judged to be beneath them:

amityville anus: Please make a thread dedicated to your band's discography in the Musician's Lounge, subforum of No Music Allowed. Mention your influences, your band's lineup (past and present) and some information about the themes and struggles involved with each album. The download link for each album should lead to a different .txt file comprised of a mixture of garbled characters and swear words.

darkwing cuck: Please make an Amusement Park/Theme Park Discussion thread in the Tourism & Travel subforum. Mention the already-existing Walt Disney World megathread, some aspects of other genuine amusement parks, and at least two fictional amusement parks.

dog kisser: Please create a thread in traditional games where you go through a custom ruleset for "playing" Yahoo Answers with friends, assigning points and an eventual victor. If questioned on your choice of forum for posting the thread, say that, while yahoo answers is a component of the game, all the real gameplay is player-to-player.

dongsbot 9000: Please make a Serious Hardware/Software Stuff thread about your experience "hacking" tamagotchis to perform other functions (such as as an alarm clock, reminding you about appointments etc) while also being quite kitsch

EagerSleeper: Please post a thread in Serious Hardware/Software Crap about your new technique for getting a computer to run twice as fast, by using two SSDs instead of one.

Ectral: Please post a thread in The Cavern of COBOL talking about a new "racially unbiased" programming language you and a few friends have been working on, and are looking for feedback on.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt: Please make a TELL thread in Ask/Tell talking about your experiences as a proprietor of a men's hat shop, and how the resurgence in sales of fedoras etc has impacted your business.

Funkstar Deluxe: Please make a thread in the animal forum about the logistics of keeping a lizard and a bird in the same cage/terrarrium.

gnarlyhotep: Please post a Traditional Games "Game Room" thread, for signups for a game of "Ichor of the dark card: Pick of five and two", complete with elaborate sign-up requirements. When the game starts, it plays as a game of 52 card pickup
(Eagle eyed readers will note that gnarlyhotep did in fact write for this prompt, but didn't post the thread: check it out here instead)

Hogge Wild: Please create a thread in ADTRW about how anime-style fanart of popular western tv shows and movies helps to elevate both the eastern and the western art involved.

Leroy Diplowski: Please make a thread in creative convention showcasing your paintings and sculptures, looking for constructive feedback. The post must contain no pictures.

Los Lobos: Please post a thread in Pet Island about the "Pet Rock" phenomenon of the 70s, and what it had to teach us about real pet ownership and care.

madeupfred: Please post a thread in Business, Finance, and Careers for discussing the techniques you use to invest the thousands of dollars you earn from drawing small chalk drawings on public sidewalks and saying god bless you to passers by.

Nathilus: Please post a thread in GiP (Goons in Platoons) about your experiences flying one of the military's many so-called "unmanned" drones.

OMFG FURRY: Please make a thread in the subforum "The Dorkroom" dedicated to "mirror photography" - the art of taking a photograph via a mirror, both for the aesthetic qualities associated with a mirror and the practicalities (using a periscope to take photos around corners, etc)

proof of concept: Please make a thread in the DIY&Hobbies subforum, for a project you are in the process of undertaking - a waterproof bird house made entirely of aluminium foil, with little to no adhesive used. Be sure to mention hurdles you've run into, techniques you plan to use, and where this bird house will go once completed.

Quickscope420dad: Please make a thread in subforum: The Crackhead Clubhouse about using drugs as a means to improve the memory, either from the perspective as someone with advice to give, or someone who is looking for help. Mention both the emotional factors, that taking a drug might remind you of a previous time you've taken the drug, and the physical factors, that the drug actually improves your memory.

Rocks: Please make a thread in the car forum detailing your efforts to custom-build the world's tallest car.

roymorrison: Please make a thread in Batmans Shameful Secret about news articles about comics, either from an intellectual or a derisive perspective.

Shithouse Dave: Please post a thread in Automotive Insanity about how car alarm technology is woefully underdeveloped, and give some ways you think it could be improved.

Spanish Manlove: Please write a short piece of romantic WWII fiction detailing the forbidden love between two soldiers, and post it in Creative Convention for feedback. Please do NOT write the story from a comedic perspective.

wilfredmerriweathr: Please make a thread in Traditional Games outlining the rules for a fun real life version of angry birds that you and a few friends have been playing in a park or other open space.

-----

Here are the real winners, those that dared to be constructive, and their respective threads:

Alejandro Sanchez: Please create a thread in Sports Argument Stadium from the perspective of a gym teacher, for discussion of places to bulk buy cheap plastic soccer balls, small orange plastic cones, and other such paraphernalia for P.E. class. If questioned on your choice of forum, note that teaching sport is one half of playing sport.

Applewhite: Prompt: please make a thread in the Inspect Your Gadgets subforum about an upcoming new, curvier phone.

Azraelle: Please make a thread in The Firing Range about your experiences as someone who converts toy guns into real guns for a price. Don't be afraid to be specific.

bonestructure: Please make a thread in The TV IV about Season 6, Episode 11 of popular NBC sitcom Friends. In this episode, Rachel buys a table from pottery barn, but pretends she bought it at a flea market after finding out that Phoebe hates pottery barn. Meanwhile, Joey and his roommate, Janine, go on a double date with Chandler and Monica, which goes well... or does it? Please be as in depth as possible about the plot of the episode, behind the scenes info, trivia, etc.

CommonTerry: Please create a thread in Goons With Spoons about non-alcoholic cocktails. Mention some of your favourites, and at least one creation of your own.

Equine Don: Please post a thread in the Musician's Lounge asking about ways to better incorporate your PlayStation 3 Rock Band controllers into your band's live show. Add details as necessary.

FartGhost: Please make a thread in the Games forum about forgotten Japan only super famicom rpg Seiken no Deimashi: ENTERTAIN.

g0lbez: Please make a thread in Sports Argument Stadium about a real life league who have started playing a sport based on Final Fantasy X's blitzball

Izumi Konata: Please create a thread in You Look Like poo poo about ways to use different items of exercise equipment in unconventional ways to bulk up faster.

Machai: Please make a thread in The Book Barn dedicated to the underrated artists who draw the illustrations in elementary school textbooks. Please include pictures and a brief historical overview (veracity notwithstanding).

Puppy Galaxy: Please make a thread in The Punchsport Pagoda subforum, about your love for a little known local independent wrestling promotion, that is notable for having never shown a wrestling match, preferring instead to rely on suspense and character drama.

Rando: Please create a PYF keychain thread (in PYF), alluding to (but not explicitly mentioning) a now defunct off-site forum and a larger goon keychain subculture

SniperWoreConverse: Please make a thread in the Cinema Discusso subforum about an upcoming Terry Gilliam written/directed movie called "The Gizzard" (2016). Mention plot details, rumours, and quotes from interviews (from both Gilliam and actors approached for the film).

Splatmaster: Please make a thread in Batman's Shameful Secret about a surprisingly good underrated webcomic that you found via the GBS webcomics thread. All images used in the OP must broken links. Please include a brief character overview. If anyone asks for a link, tell them that the site seems to have vanished.

Weird Sandwich: Please make a thread in the food forum about your own recipe for the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

Zero Star: Please post a thread in The Book Barn asking for help with purchasing a pre-ruled lined notebook. List a few of the options you are considering, comparing paper quality, line spacing, size etc.

My "shortlist" for victory was Azraelle, bonestructure, SniperWoreConverse, Machai, g0lbez, and Weird Sandwich, but overall there can only be one winner, and that winner is         bonestructure  ! PM me for what kind of forums upgrade/avatar you want, and in my heart you're all winners, except Splatmaster.

I think what we can all take away from this contest is th

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

g0lbez posted:

i really wanna see Leroy Diplowski's prompt

Me too... these prompts are all in the "public domain" now though so feel free to use any of them yourselves

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Machai posted:

here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675290

the funny part is the bit about my uncle is actually true

lol gj

NO!!!!!!!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
fine. anime sandwich aka misandrist wytch has to do all the untaken prompts

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Misandrist Wytch posted:

amityville anus: Please make a thread dedicated to your band's discography in the Musician's Lounge, subforum of No Music Allowed. Mention your influences, your band's lineup (past and present) and some information about the themes and struggles involved with each album. The download link for each album should lead to a different .txt file comprised of a mixture of garbled characters and swear words.

whoa. he's doing it

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Machai posted:

wait were we actually supposed to try super duper hard to hide the fact that these were big dumb fake threads? I think I did mine wrong then

haha I thought yours seemed pretty legit all in all

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Equine Don posted:

Gom give me something good to write for D&D, I have their trust.

I can't think of any good D&D prompts... that's why there are none in the contest. couldn't think of any

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I don't think anime sandwich is doing it. In fact, I doubt he had homework at all.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Since anime sandwich is on probation due to an ill-conceived bet on a first to ten street fighter II match, I have PMd bonestructure the av cert, and will give anime sandwich one if he completes the Prompt Challenge in future. Also I might do another contest like this in future, so please give yr feedback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Misandrist Wytch posted:

ill be done next tuesday.

:cool:

• Locked thread