Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Infinity Gaia posted:

So how playable will this game be if I'm absolutely terrible at managing RTwP systems? I was always super into the plot and character development aspects of the old Infinity Engine games, but I could never get too far in them because I just couldn't handle the combat, it was either too overwhelming and generally impossible in real time or too finnicky with constant pausing, especially when it came to handling multiple characters cast times and movements and positioning and poo poo. Will easy mode be easy enough that a terrible player like me will be able to make it to the end of the game?

Probably, there's a bunch of really good passive skills that you can set to auto start when combat begins and if you can solo the game you can probably beat it with any party as long as it has monks in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are there any chat options that unlock with *low* stats?

Low int options eh?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I wish you could rename all your abilities. :allears:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Eej posted:

Which of course is funny because guns coexisted with melee weapons for centuries and didn't completely supplant stabby things until relatively recently.

Man I still don't know if I want to make a gun psychic or a gun Paladin.

My monk is gonna shoot things whilst running up to punch things.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I never actually beat baldur's gate one or two. :(

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oasx posted:

I normally play a Wizard in these type of games, but i also have a soft spot for the Monk who just kicks rear end with fists and kicks. So since there is a Wizard companion i will be playing a Monk. Though most of the classes sound really fun.

How is the party AI? The only real worry i have is that all the classes have so many cool abilities, that i hope i don't have to babysit my companions all the time.

Pillars of Eternity 2 is gonna have hybrid classes like Druid/Monk.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm wondering what the Dyrford equivalent of places like the Firewine Ruin be like. I can't wait to get lost in a maze and get my arse shot full of burning arrows by not-Kobolds.

It's the Drow tombs and if we had just backed a bit more we would've gotten that kickstarter goal! :(

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I can't wait to wreck everything peasant style, all hatchet murders from top to bottom. Battle axes are for people with no self-confidence.

So Juggalo tactics then?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Harebrained schemes has put out two games with their shadowrun engine and is working on a third, why not kickstart Pillars Of Eternity 2?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Roguelike posted:

Oh sure, now all the people are going blame me for getting druids and guns getting nerfed.

Keep your charts away from monks you monster! :argh:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ok going to try and beat baldur's gate 2, just realized Viconia is in fact a republican.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Baldur's Gate 2 romance is a strange game. The only winning move

Is not to play

I'm playing a dwarf barbarian with a charisma of 2, I lead because I'm a berserker with over 150 hps who dual wields flails.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Going right from BG 1 to BG 2 makes the Jaheira romance incredibly weird. "Sure, foster-mom! Let's bang!"

She's half elven and elves have con penalties from inbreeding.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Do any of the heads have really long wizard appropriate beards?

Other classes need beards too!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

X_Toad posted:

A polish person is doing an unboxing of the game :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjG3Ww3-IJQ

Great, now I can never enjoy this game because somebody is playing it early. :smith:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Retail edition uses Steam (backers will get DRM-free DVDs + digital copies on release) so that person probably can't play the game either.

That doesn't stop the accursed beta testers! NOTHING STOPS THE BETA TESTERS!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Yeah I'm starting to feel like picking monk for my first run was the right idea.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Playing Baldur's Gate 2 and I am sincerely happy about the upgrades to pathfinding that POE is going to have.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jackard posted:

N-no

:negative:

Then, does this game have the equivalent of Irenicus dungeon?

Yes, but five times longer!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

:allears:

He possesses a rare gift for making his viewers feel intelligent.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Yeah, I'm pretty settled on a bleak walker gently caress YOU run as my second go through but I want to know the game cold first because otherwise I would get myself mega-killed I'm sure by taking challenges in the wrong order.

The one spoiler I really am hoping for is exactly where to go to get all the companions ASAP first thing pronto STAT etc.

Gonna do it as a death godlike?

Edit: Question related to a bleak walker playthrough, how easy is it to change the soundtrack for this game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onE43h_TUUY

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 23, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Firstborn posted:

The dude on the right seriously looks like a recolored IWD2 portrait. I'm too lazy to find it, but if you messed around with that game I think you know the one.

There's a portrait it kind of resembles, similar hair and beard with a cloak, but the pose and angle of the face is very different.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Traditional western RPGs that are decent have a really long tail in terms of sales. Unless PoE is just a shitshow at launch somehow it'll do fine even if it doesn't set charts on fire this week.

Unless Barkley 2 comes out the day before. :(

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'll just take a quick look at that thread, how bad could it-

crazy sperg from that forum posted:

How can you claim to be relying on "past experiences" when in this case the past experience is the IE games? That's what backers paid for and wanted, an IE experience. Instead a certain egotistic designer (yes, you have to be a douche to insist that fans are not actually having fun with what they are having fun with) decides to reinvent the wheel / remake NWN2.

Did you have empirical evidence that players wanted an engagement sytem?
Did you have empirical evidence that players want to run around in combat rather than abstract/tactical movement like in the IE?

Why did you waste man hours creating animations and implementing ridiculous features that have nothing to do with IE style tactical gameplay?

Is there "empirical evidence" that players do not like interesting spells and hard counters, or are these the biases of a single madman allowed to run amok?

:stare:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tarezax posted:

Because Obsidian CHANGED things! And CHANGE is BAD!

...That's about the gist of it, I think.

Beamdog is going to be putting out an adventure that takes place between Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, so it's going to have all the same grognard mechanics, but coupled with Beamdog's amazing writing skills.

This for like, 30 hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToJXRnxYuyY

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I don't think anyone got mad at obsidian for those new vegas roleplaying perks that made playing a cowboy super viable throughout the whole game.

Edit: I've got chrome set up so it converts "SJW" into "skeleton" :)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pwnstar posted:

RPG Codex seems to follow the philosophy that the more dense, unbalanced and impenetrable a system is then the better it is because it keeps out undesirables.

I couldn't remember all the counters for status effects in baldur's gate 2 so I googled it, found a post where someone asked on the gamefaq's forums and people were yelling at him to learn the system like they did instead of asking questions.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Weapon proficiciencies are dumb and annoying, my 15th level archer 5 ranks in longbows (ranger kit) has no idea how to use a shortbow.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SunAndSpring posted:

I would strongly appreciate it if the keys would be sent out today.

All the backer keys will be sent out early next week, don't worry about it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Eej posted:

For Barbarians, does Intelligence affect the range of their cleaves and their aoe attacks that cleave? I'm kinda tempted to switch from Gun Paladin to Gentleman Barbarian for my first run.

Why yes, yes it does and a fire godlike barbarian with stilettos is really making me reconsider being a monk.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

cheesetriangles posted:

Heels or swords?

The monk would have stiletto heels for piercing kicks and the barbarian would have stiletto blades for piercing punches.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Meh, I'll check once before going to bed, if it ain't there it'll come in the morning and then I can get back to waiting to play.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Illegal Username posted:

Dangerously sassy!

I think it was only during WW1 when the idea of fancier hat=tougher man finally died

Worst war ever. :(

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Does monk unarmed damage scale appropriately or will we have to wait for a mod to add enchantable brass knuckles?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

sean10mm posted:

Oh god damnit I broke down and pre-ordered this poo poo, I don't even know when I'll have time to play this but just take all my money Obsidian :homebrew::krakentoot:

I broke down and pre-ordered this over two years ago, I admire your restraint and will power.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hoboskins posted:

can anyone who played the beta tell me more about how wizard grimoires function? do you still have the ability to copy/research spells you come across into your books? Or is level up the only time you will get to learn new spells. Spoilerish but did anyone come across unique spells (as in ones inaccessible on level up) during their play through.

Is a gun toting wizard a viable build? My understanding is they have an inherent accuracy malice with weapons. Or do you need to stick with spell casting and beating up dudes with your magically charged telephone book.

Shotgun wizard is totally viable.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I just remembered something about disengagement attacks, icewind dale 2 was originally supposed to have attacks of opportunity(which work pretty similarly to disengagement attacks) and there was even a feat that you could take to increase the number of attacks of opportunity per round, however since that mechanic didn't exist, the feat did nothing.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Had to switch it to normal mode in the temple, I was doing fine until that second level, running with a barbarian main, went back and got a chanter for backup with Eder and Aloth and after losing the same fight to two shades 5 times I'm calling it in. :(

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tabletops posted:

So I made a barbarian (18 might, 10 con, 18 dex, 17 int, 8 resolve, 8 perception). I intended do dual-wield and slice lots of dudes up, but the cleave AOE even with 17 int seems miniscule. most of the time It'll hit one additional mob but thats about it.

Problems with it is that she dies incredibly fast, and no monsters seem interested in killing Eredar first instead of everyone else in my party. So she just gets rocked by everything because her defenses aren't too hot.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of just rerolling, unless theres feats that increase the cleave range because right now it's just not worth it.

Cleave range is determined by int as does how long your abilities last, so yeah re-rolling might be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Now it says difficulty changes when you change maps, I set that temple to normal, left the basement and none of the encounters had less or less difficult creatures. I then went into town, no change either, I then went back to town, then to another area entirely, no change again.

• Locked thread