Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Alright thanks. I think i am going to restart, and remake my squad again.

I have a question why are there like 3 different types of lock picking?

Toaster Repair seems to just be for opening toasters which to me seem to be a type of chest, lock picking, and safe cracking.

Also i don't understand weapon jamming, my entire squad is constantly having weapons jam. Like every other shot the weapon has jammed, yet the guns chance to jam is only 3%. I find the probability that my weapons are jamming this frequently given the chance to be kind of impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Verviticus posted:

this seems like a nightmare of a character to use in combat. 3 speed and 7 AP while being melee?

It hasn't been a nightmare at all. Keep in mind she's also a medic so it's not a dedicated melee. It's enough AP to move into good Leadership Aura/Emergency Medic Position at the least. It's all about making the most of your positioning. Also a Crowbar with Grip Tape is 2 AP per swing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

UberJumper posted:

Alright thanks. I think i am going to restart, and remake my squad again.

I have a question why are there like 3 different types of lock picking?

Toaster Repair seems to just be for opening toasters which to me seem to be a type of chest, lock picking, and safe cracking.

Also i don't understand weapon jamming, my entire squad is constantly having weapons jam. Like every other shot the weapon has jammed, yet the guns chance to jam is only 3%. I find the probability that my weapons are jamming this frequently given the chance to be kind of impossible.

all of your guns are 3%? some should be as high as 8%. its also % PER SHOT, not per action (smgs and burst weapons more likely)

lock picking is for gates, boxes. safecracking is for safes. toaster repair is for toasters, which always contain some specific non-random loot. get them all somehow

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I just picked up a shotgun from Mercaptain called the Roach that isn't listed on the Wasteland 2 wiki at all, which is at about the level of a Coach Gun damage wise, but less range and 0% chance to jam. I'm giving it to Scotchmo. It seems fitting.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

BULBASAUR posted:

10 AP for a sniper or assault rifle character is, like Verviticus is saying, critical. For shotguns and SMGs you'll want 8.

With that, couldn't you just do the whole "X conserved 2 AP for the next turn" thing? Or does this take that mechanic into account?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Verviticus posted:

all of your guns are 3%? some should be as high as 8%. its also % PER SHOT, not per action (smgs and burst weapons more likely)

lock picking is for gates, boxes. safecracking is for safes. toaster repair is for toasters, which always contain some specific non-random loot. get them all somehow

I have had both my character and Shirley's M1 jam several times, during the first radio tower mission. My snipers hunting rifle has 2% chance to jam, has jammed a bunch of times now.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Gyoru posted:

Lexicanium's hands are different, but he can equip any weapon just like any other member. I used him as a sniper all the way to the end of the game.
Yeah I gave him a Minigun. :awesomelon:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

widespread posted:

With that, couldn't you just do the whole "X conserved 2 AP for the next turn" thing? Or does this take that mechanic into account?

reliably getting two shots per turn in is so important to taking out key bullshit enemies that 1.5 or whatever would probably change the way i approach a lot of encounters. also, 4 extra AP becomes 2. its not a very good conversion when the downside is "levels up a bit slower"

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

freshmeat.popsicle posted:

That's what pissed me off a few days ago. If you scrap the Monk's nuke, you lose the option to send it to the Rangers. If you send it before DBM takes over the valley, it's possible. I didn't take that route though and I could be mistaken.

regarding titan: right now I have: explore silo 7, assist DBM as my objectives. should I help dbm and then go to silo 7 if i want to give the nuke to the rangers? or go to silo 7 first

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Plus endgame, you'll want 9 if you're an Assault rifle jerk for a Burst + Headshot combo.

450 damage is doable if you get a crit. Its magnificent.

Also, I've beat the game :(

Overall was quite superb, best RPG I've played in ages. Only real bugs with the ending were wrong slides etc, so I've zero doubt they'll be fixed in the future. Brilliant game though IMO, suggested to a few friends already.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 25, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Stokes posted:

It hasn't been a nightmare at all. Keep in mind she's also a medic so it's not a dedicated melee. It's enough AP to move into good Leadership Aura/Emergency Medic Position at the least. It's all about making the most of your positioning. Also a Crowbar with Grip Tape is 2 AP per swing.

Also if you break down a combat knife with a high enough weapon smithing score, you can get leather grip which is -1 AP and +2% to hit. It kind of bugs me how long it takes to find melee weapons you can break down for weight upgrades though since that +hit% would be REALLY nice at lower levels, +crit is amazing on blunt weapons.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Just picked this up, and the variety of skills is kinda intimidating. Is stuff like toaster repair really necessary, or even useful?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
omg team created

OMG PLAYING RELEASE VERSION OF WASTELAND 2

omg

I am so glad I never spoiled the intro video

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

widespread posted:

My terrible example from a few pages ago:

FAMAS with 10AP does 84-126 damage. If you have 1 less AP you about halve that damage output. So, having to wait 2 turns to get an extra bonus shot means you're doing just 84-126 vs 168-252 which is pretty huge. Keep in mind thats with a starting baby rifle so as you get better gear that gap will get greater.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Turin Turambar posted:

If you had the specific option of tell him to wait and don't leave, and somehow he disappeared, that sounds like a bug, not a "bad recruitment system". Maybe it's just a bug in the effect of that dialog.

The bug seems to be related to something remarkably stupid. Chisel walks up to you and initiates a dialog. If, at any point, prior to this, you as the player clicked on HIM to start a dialog (as one would typically do when presented with an NPC with a picture and a dialog bubble over their head when you mouse over them) -- or if you click on him and then he starts talking, one conversation tree will interrupt the other.

So say you want to let him into your party. You choose the affirmative option, go to remove someone to make room for him, and then the conversation tree suddenly closes before you can finish. This closes the current conversation tree, as well as the new conversation tree, and he leaves -- as if you had rejected his proposal.

He doesn't go to the Ranger Citadel, he doesn't go back to his home (although the flavor text describing him as being home will still trigger if you go back there), and nothing short of reloading the game will bring him back.

At this point, I'm digging around to see if anyone has posted a quick fix that will just let me trigger his spawner in the Ranger Citadel because I'm too far beyond that point in the game to justify replaying it all for a mediocre NPC companion.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

EricFate posted:

The bug seems to be related to something remarkably stupid. Chisel walks up to you and initiates a dialog. If, at any point, prior to this, you as the player clicked on HIM to start a dialog (as one would typically do when presented with an NPC with a picture and a dialog bubble over their head when you mouse over them) -- or if you click on him and then he starts talking, one conversation tree will interrupt the other.

So say you want to let him into your party. You choose the affirmative option, go to remove someone to make room for him, and then the conversation tree suddenly closes before you can finish. This closes the current conversation tree, as well as the new conversation tree, and he leaves -- as if you had rejected his proposal.

He doesn't go to the Ranger Citadel, he doesn't go back to his home (although the flavor text describing him as being home will still trigger if you go back there), and nothing short of reloading the game will bring him back.

At this point, I'm digging around to see if anyone has posted a quick fix that will just let me trigger his spawner in the Ranger Citadel because I'm too far beyond that point in the game to justify replaying it all for a mediocre NPC companion.

have you talked to the dude in the mess hall? i had chisel vanish randomly and then told that guy he wanted to join. turns out chisel pisses around in the museum rather than the mess hall because, like everything else about his character, hes stupid and bad

ralphy is the one that bugged out for me. i said he could be a ranger and he ran off and disappeared forever

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Ralphy is basically a useless moron who starts with no real skills so that's probably a good thing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Ralphy is basically a useless moron who starts with no real skills so that's probably a good thing.

yeah the split of party members in this game really blows. either they're braindead fuckwits with no useful skills or they completely replace the ranger by massively exceeding what i could have had at the time (like rose). and i still havent found a follower that uses an assault rifle. its like they were too afraid to have combat ready followers so they're all just skill bots or drunks or children

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Verviticus posted:

have you talked to the dude in the mess hall? i had chisel vanish randomly and then told that guy he wanted to join. turns out chisel pisses around in the museum rather than the mess hall because, like everything else about his character, hes stupid and bad

ralphy is the one that bugged out for me. i said he could be a ranger and he ran off and disappeared forever

Yes. I talked to him when I collected the reward for Ralph and Scotch.

I can also verify that he does not spawn in the Museum. He simply ceased to exist.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Verviticus posted:

yeah the split of party members in this game really blows. either they're braindead fuckwits with no useful skills or they completely replace the ranger by massively exceeding what i could have had at the time (like rose). and i still havent found a follower that uses an assault rifle. its like they were too afraid to have combat ready followers so they're all just skill bots or drunks or children

That's pretty much exactly how I feel.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

There's a follower who is nicknamed NaCL (and has a bunch of salt puns for combat barks) that you get if you side with DBM who starts with ARs. He only has 8 AP though so that's a bit useless.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a follower who is nicknamed NaCL (and has a bunch of salt puns for combat barks) that you get if you side with DBM who starts with ARs. He only has 8 AP though so that's a bit useless.

i killed him because he was a loving rear end in a top hat who tried to extort me, oh well

i just gave lexicanum an assault rifle instead. he also has 8 AP though. all followers have 8 AP it seems

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
So I went ahead and created 4 characters based off of IASIP (thanks to whoever posted those portraits!) and I'm quite eager to try it out. One of my Steam friends suggests I hold off until a patch or two drops for the small annoying issues still present. Is that a good suggestion or is it pretty minor? Still got to play the new Dragonfall content for Shadowrun: Returns...

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'd wait for a patch if you can stomach it

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Professor Moriarty posted:

So I went ahead and created 4 characters based off of IASIP (thanks to whoever posted those portraits!) and I'm quite eager to try it out. One of my Steam friends suggests I hold off until a patch or two drops for the small annoying issues still present. Is that a good suggestion or is it pretty minor? Still got to play the new Dragonfall content for Shadowrun: Returns...

I didn't run into very many bugs at all until the second half of the game, where I ran into some quest bugs. It took me like 15 hours to get to the second half.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Matthias being possessed and overwritten by the Base Cochise AI was the most hilarious bit of poetic justice I've seen in a long while.

I have an enormously long list of bugs and annoying issues after one playthrough, but holy crap, what a ride that bug ridden, magnificent, lovely amazing mess turned out to be.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

vigorous sodomy posted:

In case anyone is wondering why they made goats make that unnatural scream, this is why. A collection of goats yelling like humans. The sound file in question is here. This game is full of modern easter eggs!

I found an issue of a 1988 Computer Gaming World with page 88 dog eared. I guess that was the issue the original wasteland was advertised?

I never knew that was a thing, I just thought the goats were ridiculous on purpose. They're easily the thing I laughed at the most in beta. Just that one yowling screech kills me. Also not so surprised the latter end of the game is buggy, they had a gently caress-load of people providing bug reports and poo poo for the first half, the second... well, it's not going in through centercode which helped them allocate bugs to priority levels.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Verviticus posted:

What, you were expecting to encounter professionally trained special forces units out in the wasteland? It kinda makes sense that the NPC's are more civilian than military. At least for the ones I've encountered so far: Scientists, tribals, miners and homeless drunks. Why would any of them have special forces combat training? That makes no sense. Even if you picked up an NPC from one of the more deadly raider gangs out there, he shouldn't be as good at combat as a professionally trained desert ranger. To get to the level of your PC's you would need to find some other professional military group to recruit from.

Thats the lore explanation anyways.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Toaster Repair seems really, really useless. I mean I shouldn't be surprised that repairing toasters isn't that useful in a post-apocalyptic society but still out of the dozen or so toasters I've repaired I've gotten maybe 150 worth of scrap. Gunsmithing on the other hand funds everything.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lol you're supposed to turn those toaster items into the museum guide for uniques, not sell them for scrap

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol you're supposed to turn those toaster items into the museum guide for uniques, not sell them for scrap

No, you don't, and you can't even if you wanted to. But so far it seems to be that every single one of the 'non junk' items does indeed have someone out there in the world to discover who can use it.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Chonchon posted:

Matthias being possessed and overwritten by the Base Cochise AI was the most hilarious bit of poetic justice I've seen in a long while.

I have an enormously long list of bugs and annoying issues after one playthrough, but holy crap, what a ride that bug ridden, magnificent, lovely amazing mess turned out to be.

Just beat the game myself. Several of the ending screens said I did poo poo I didn't. Duke Schwag still in charge in Hollywood, even though I put a bullet in his brain. Ma Brown not getting her chili place reopened, even though I did the quest. The loving DBM getting the nuke, even though I disarmed it. Still, I guess it's more the journey than the destination, and the journey was great. Buggy, but great. I hope the game gets a few patches in that fix a lot of the broken quests and such. The later half of the game showed a severe lack of polish compared to the first half.

A few things that I think were gameplay things that need fixing, rather than bugs.

- Some sort of description on weapons and consumables showing what the actual effects on them actually do. Vomiting? Opened up? Baby Ruth? What?
- Re-balancing of the late game skill challenges. If I have 10 in a skill I shouldn't have a loving 25% chance to do something with it. It's like you want me to save scum.
- Items that remove status effects. It flat out says on them that an item can remove them, but I couldn't find anything that did. Medics should have ways to remove more than disease.
- A slight increase to the out of combat move speed. If you're going to make me walk a mile to get to my drat base, I shouldn't have time to make a sandwich while I wait for my guys to get there. Oh and auto-use keys on their proper doors. Basic quality of life stuff.
- Clickable map to route to locations. Please.

Overall I really dug the game. Just had those bugs and a few annoyances, but well worth paying full price for. Loved the story, loved the game play. I'm even more hyped for the other games coming from this studio now.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

What, you were expecting to encounter professionally trained special forces units out in the wasteland? It kinda makes sense that the NPC's are more civilian than military. At least for the ones I've encountered so far: Scientists, tribals, miners and homeless drunks. Why would any of them have special forces combat training? That makes no sense. Even if you picked up an NPC from one of the more deadly raider gangs out there, he shouldn't be as good at combat as a professionally trained desert ranger. To get to the level of your PC's you would need to find some other professional military group to recruit from.

Thats the lore explanation anyways.

lexicanum has like five in mech comp and alarms but its unreasonable that someone might be able to fire a rifle?

they don't need leadership and whatever but an box with any combat affinity would be nice. as it is, rose is my best recruited fighter

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Anyone find the Toxx Claws yet?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

RagingBoner posted:

Anyone find the Toxx Claws yet?

Got them from an RE on the world map from some "Mannerites" that were actually cannibals. The dude who had them had a name, so it's probably a 100% drop from him.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Are there any weapons I would want to use short barrels on? Like... I guess a sniper rifle might benefit from it if you're fighting quick enemies but I have yet to see a time when I wanted a chance to shoot things closer, I can usually just move away far enough to take a shot without hindrance.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, can someone spoil how to stop Tori's profoundly lame coup attempt at Angel Oracle? I feel like there is a step I'm missing somewhere and it is driving me crazy.

Edit:

Syrant posted:

Are there any weapons I would want to use short barrels on? Like... I guess a sniper rifle might benefit from it if you're fighting quick enemies but I have yet to see a time when I wanted a chance to shoot things closer, I can usually just move away far enough to take a shot without hindrance.

As far as I can tell, no. ESPECIALLY once you get your hands on long barrels.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Syrant posted:

None that I can think of. I forget what level of assault rifles strips down into long barrels (I think you need around five in weapon smithing) but it's way the hell better than short barrels, increases range, optimum range and accuracy, all in one mod. 6 more meters of range and if you break down a 38 to get a high powered scope, 13. However revolver are gimped with irreducible weapon jam rates as are heavy weapons. I suppose a 10 luck heavy weapons user might not have that much of a problem though.

^Yeah this guy knows what he's talking about!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Welp, I feel like doing a solo run of Wasteland. I'm definitely gonna be picking at the threads' suggestions for builds since I wanna be good at EVERYTHING. Or just things I can't get with Angie or Rose. Just one question: Should I stick with 9 INT for the first ten levels? And what would be safe to drop on solo runs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Okay, can someone spoil how to stop Tori's profoundly lame coup attempt at Angel Oracle? I feel like there is a step I'm missing somewhere and it is driving me crazy.

Follow the tracks behind the jail to the guy who is getting executed's wife. Hopefully you have an -rear end skill to convince her to spill the beans that Tori's a bitch. Talk to Mr. Manners during the execution and tell him about the affair.

Edit:

widespread posted:

Welp, I feel like doing a solo run of Wasteland. I'm definitely gonna be picking at the threads' suggestions for builds since I wanna be good at EVERYTHING. Or just things I can't get with Angie or Rose. Just one question: Should I stick with 9 INT for the first ten levels? And what would be safe to drop on solo runs?

You can't make a generalist in this game and expect to not run into a frustrating number of things you can't do. Most of the recruit-able NPCs are pretty garbage, and you'll be required to use pretty much every skill. Even with 10 int you'll only be able to max 4, MAYBE 5 skills. Most of the NPCs are pretty awful too.

If I had to pick ONLY 4 skills, I'd go with assault rifles, field medic, weapon-smithing, and possibly lockpicking? Maybe? I don't remember an NPC who had good lock picking to start with.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 25, 2014

• Locked thread