Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chocobo posted:

There's no such thing as entropy. If entropy were real then there would have to be some massive power source constantly dumping power into the Earth. Don't believe everything your "teachers" tell you.

I know it's your fault, but I'm going to have to slap you for that one. You can pay if forward to the rightful recipient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Yes indeed! The development house that has no September update because they had to put a demo together for a product they have been working on for over four years--and still couldn't produce the demo is working on 2.6 and 3.0 at the same time.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Nah, having nothing to show has never stopped them before, this may be a convenient excuse to quit doing monthly reports altogether

I suspect you are onto something. After all, creating those monthly reports just takes away from development time.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Raskolnikov posted:

You're a pretty terrible poster.

Alllllllllright, no one is pointing at me when they say that!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

ManofManyAliases posted:

Stanton may or may not already be complete.
3.0 likely won't hit this year. We'll definitely (most likely) see 2.6 drop though.
If 2.6 drops, it will be without Star Marine. Time to get those hats into the game! Didn't we see a Santa hat in on of the WiP shots? Oh and NDA or not, it is safe for me to tell you: 3.0 and Star Marine will never be released.

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's about to; they're in extended mechanics testing, which is the prep for 2.6
So, you thinking Star Marine is two weeks away? It doesn't sound like you think months or years...

ManofManyAliases posted:

There will be a ship sale in November.
No "may or may not be" a ship sale? You are pretty sure of the ship sale, huh?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I really do like that MoMA has genuinely become an enjoyable part of this thread with his specific brand of poo poo-hattery.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can you imagine the outcry if any other company did that? Say EA announced Mass Effect Andromeda would be out in six months and started taking $60 preorders. Six months later, they announce things have been held up. Then again, and again. A few years go by and EA finally say "Sorry, we're not going to be able to give you Mass Effect Andromeda, but at least you were part of the adventure of making it, right?" They wouldn't do it. Hell, they COULDN'T do that. And that's a company regarded as one of the worst. CIG is objectively worse than the worst publishers.

Chocobo posted:

There's no such thing as entropy. If entropy were real then there would have to be some massive power source constantly dumping power into the Earth. Don't believe everything your "teachers" tell you.

What the loving what? I don't normally care when people don't source their quotes, but I really need to know where this came from.

e: And yes, it's insane that MoMA contributes more to this thread than Masking Powerless.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

orcinus posted:

What is it with shitizens and weird typos / spelling errors?
Normally, there's a set of errors you see repeated by nearly everyone everywhere.

Star Citizen fanatics, though, tend to make really weird and uncommon ones, and they persist from post to post (smeer, every bodies).

Look, if they cared about quality control, they wouldn't be Citizens.

(Also, it is probably the same pool of CIG employees.)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sunswipe posted:

What the loving what? I don't normally care when people don't source their quotes, but I really need to know where this came from.

Maybe he posted on the wrong thread? That's a pretty common creationist argument.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
im hack the gibson with some lemon sauce.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

HycoCam posted:

If 2.6 drops, it will be without Star Marine. Time to get those hats into the game! Didn't we see a Santa hat in on of the WiP shots? Oh and NDA or not, it is safe for me to tell you: 3.0 and Star Marine will never be released.

So, you thinking Star Marine is two weeks away? It doesn't sound like you think months or years...

I'm pretty sure of the ship sale. I'm fairly certain of the SM inclusion, but it's definitely not 2 weeks away. My hope is that it drops before Dec holiday break.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm pretty sure of the ship sale. I'm fairly certain of the SM inclusion, but it's definitely not 2 weeks away. My hope is that it drops before Dec holiday break.

pretty dismal showing from CIG for the year then.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
There's a thread on rsi asking if they'll get to see the sq42 demo if it was only some kinks to iron out. The thread is mostly berating the op for wanting to see it and how it should only be at cut on.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

A November ship sale is basically a certainty, MoMA. That's when their whole holiday livestream kicks off and they always do like a full week of sales.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MeLKoR posted:

Maybe he posted on the wrong thread? That's a pretty common creationist argument.

Then that's just more stupid to laugh at.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

pretty dismal showing from CIG for the year then.

Yeah, it is what it is. They've got a lot done on the backend yet, but there are some pretty big blockers that are preventing the release of 3.0 and onward for the time being. The biggest thing is the instancing and netcode. From what I hear, they're close to finally figuring out how to open-up zone/instancing to allow hundreds of players on the same core/system and that we'll get to test that next year.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah, it is what it is. They've got a lot done on the backend yet, but there are some pretty big blockers that are preventing the release of 3.0 and onward for the time being. The biggest thing is the instancing and netcode. From what I hear, they're close to finally figuring out how to open-up zone/instancing to allow hundreds of players on the same core/system and that we'll get to test that next year.

lol

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

:allears:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So THAT's where Lowtax got his idea...

And did no one note Ben's paean to his lord and master?

A sad, sad fatman posted:

I will also warn here that because my real life job can become very busy, it may take months or more to finish scanning all of these cels.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

hundreds of players

They aren't there man, it's time to let it go

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

Come on dude, you're smarter than this.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

I have no game and I must dream while trying to get rid of my spaceship jpegs on the grey market before it is too late

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

godfuckingdamn i'm finally triggered put that poo poo in some acid-free boxes or something goddamn sure Wing Commander isn't the most important thing to preserve in the world but if it's all going to be in your hands, Ben Lesnick (developer), you BETTERFUCKDAMN take care of it because at this rate you'll be on your death bed next week watching it all turn to MOLD from the leftover ranch sauce in the discarded Subway supply boxes you use to store your "precious" "collection" if you can't handle your poo poo send it to someone who can like the museum of play

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

And did no one note Ben's paean to his lord and master?

... what the gently caress does he do other than scan Wing Commander poo poo and dick about on the internet? Helps to explain the state the "game" is in if Lesnick is heaving and grunting his way round the office, imparting his wisdom to people trying to get some actual work done.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

thatguy posted:

[citation needed]

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

PlaneGuy posted:

godfuckingdamn i'm finally triggered put that poo poo in some acid-free boxes or something goddamn sure Wing Commander isn't the most important thing to preserve in the world but if it's all going to be in your hands, Ben Lesnick (developer), you BETTERFUCKDAMN take care of it because at this rate you'll be on your death bed next week watching it all turn to MOLD from the leftover ranch sauce in the discarded Subway supply boxes you use to store your "precious" "collection" if you can't handle your poo poo send it to someone who can like the museum of play

Nice meltdown

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

I won't mock the sandworm in this post, it's the closest thing to an erection Ben Lenslock has seen in twenty to twenty five years.

I will say with 100% certainty that Star Marine isn't coming with 2.6.

This would be because it isn't made yet.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Remember that the only thing CIG said to expect this year is a new patcher and the opportunity to get on the Spectrum.

Ha losers! I have spent NO money on Star Citizen and people say I am ALREADY on the Spectrum!

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

PlaneGuy posted:

lol, he's going to scan it on his printer/scanner combo and dumb the originals

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Dr Sun Try posted:

lol, he's going to scan it on his printer/scanner combo and dumb the originals

he totally is

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

HycoCam posted:

Well it is CIG, so that's actually the only thing you can be assured that they will do.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ship speed and flight mechanics

MoMA is SM gets released this year and is a CoD killer I will apologize publicly.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

From what I hear, they're close to finally figuring out how to open-up zone/instancing to allow hundreds of players on the same core/system and that we'll get to test that next year.

Most intriguing. We can almost say we are dealing with enhanced instancing here.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

thatguy posted:

C'mon, CIG would never hide problems or lie about progress.

Would they?....

Guys?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ManofManyAliases posted:

can't wait for a line hundreds of players long to talk to that idiot at the table from the 3.0 demo, woo fidelity!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

MoMA, in the case of Star Citizen, netcode and instancing (instancing in particular) are going to be monumentally hard to implement. There is no loving way in hell that a company that cannot do doors properly has a billionth of a chance of making a proper implementation of instancing happen. They are not close, not close at all.

Seriously, their idea of having people inside different instances covering different parts of different ships all moving and interacting with each other is the kind of stuff that, if solved somehow, would get you a instant Turing award.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
Well got the harvest finished just in time to go bash people's skulls in with a trenching tool. Supposed to rain tomorrow so it works out I'll be able to spend a few hours in Battlefield over the next couple days. Next week it will be time to disc, prep, and plant the winter wheat. Then shut everything down and start the equipment overhauls for spring and catch up on all the latest ag research papers.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The literal thread title

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/585e70/my_worst_nightmares_have_returned_because_of_star/d8xoh8n

"once you know how to lucid dream you can live out many starship fantasies. My personal favourite dream hack is thinking my watch is a distress beacon (as dreams tend to need tangible grounded reality to base it's fantasies from) and when I push it a spaceship comes to my 'rescue'."

"Now on a good night I fly around an abstract city, call down my starship and visit places that im sure is based on hubble telescope posters in my room. I havnt been able to fly straight into space yet without a ship, my brain freaks out and wakes me up gasping for air... Weird but wonderful experiences!"

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ZenMaster posted:

MoMA is SM gets released this year and is a CoD killer I will apologize publicly.

If it's released this year and is total poo poo I'll also apologise publically.

If it's released next year and is total poo poo Chris Roberts will apologise make another bunch of empty promises and you morons will give him more money.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

When you say "from what I heard", I'm wondering exactly where you heard it and whether it was from a reliable source.

Because "from what I've heard" SQ42 is coming out in 2016. I've also heard that Star Marine is only 2 weeks away and should be out before the end of 2015. I've also heard that this game won't use instancing and with have tens of thousands of players inhabiting 100 systems each with 40 separate high fidelity locations. I've heard there will be 10x more npcs than human players, each leaving a complex and intricate life, leading to a living and breathing world that players will be a part of. I've heard there will be procedurally generated planets with hundreds of thousands of square miles of highly detailed and explorable terrain with procedurally generated wildlife and ecosystems, with animals that you can not only capture but plants you can grow on your ships, all as part of a vast and dynamic economy.

There's one thing that all those statements have in common: they're all complete horseshit.

So tell me, where are you getting your reliable information about Star Citizen from? Because you must be literally the only person who's able to establish any reliable information at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

MeLKoR posted:

Quavers posted:

Star Marine is the notable addition with 2.6, with two playable maps. If it does get released before 2017, just how broken will it be?
That remains to be seen.

HycoCam posted:

If 2.6 drops, it will be without Star Marine.
CIG have pulled the "revamped flight mechanics" out of 2.6 and sent it to the NDA'd pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha testers as 2.5.x because Star Marine is nowhere near ready. They're hoping they can stall 2.6 with 2.5.x iterations for as long as possible.

The fanboys would go full retard if Star Marine was dropped from 2.6.

If Star Marine is far too broken, CIG's only recourse is to merge 2.6 into 3.0...

• Locked thread