Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ESA Summer 2018 is over! Thanks to everyone who watched and donated, helping us raise over $70,000 for Save the Children!

SGDQ ended less than a month ago and already it's marathon time again! This time on the other side of the pond - European Speedrunner Assembly 2018 is coming to you live from Malmö, Sweden, from July 21st to 28th! An annual marathon that's been organized since 2012 in Sweden, with speedrunners from a lot of places with a lot of accents. As with GDQ, it's also for charity - this one being for Save the Children.

For past ESAs, we have only had one unstickied thread, and it's traditionally seen a lot less activity and hype than the GDQ threads. This time we're trying to get more psyched for it - we're doing a separate chat thread, ESA Summer 2018 Chill Thread: Hold onto your butts. by Pants Donkey, and we're getting them stickied too. So there!

~~~~~~~~~~

A lot of things you'll recognize from how GDQ works. So, of course, we've got the schedules right here for you. Schedules? That's right, ESA 2018 does once again feature two streams, although the secondary stream is not running 24/7 like the first stream, and doesn't start until Sunday. But more streams means more runs and less sleep for you! Schedule will adjust to your local timezone.

The ESA main site is the place to go to watch in your browser. You can also go to the Twitch pages: Stream 1 and Stream 2. But you can also watch through your favourite media player by using Streamlink, which is a more updated fork of Livestreamer so if you've been using that it's time to switch, and of course there's a Streamlink Twitch GUI for you as well. It's a much better way of partaking of the marathon than watching in your already memory-hogging browser. Trust me.

Recordings of all the runs will eventually be available on the ESA Youtube channel, too. So if you miss something you want to watch, you'll be able to catch it later!

Like all live marathons, the experience is improved when you have people to share your experience with - and there's chats and things to be had, aside from the chat thread. Twitch chat is like it is, so head on over to one of the IRC or Discord channels instead.

ESA IRC: #esamarathon at irc.quakenet.org
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
ESA Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord | Goon GDQ Discord

~~~~~~~~~~

So you know about GDQ, but what's ESA's deal? I'll be happy to tell you!

ESA had its first marathon in the summer of 2012 in Skövde, Sweden, then named the European Speedster Assembly. Since then, there's been one marathon organized annually every summer in Sweden, along with some small side showings, such as at Sweden's largest LAN party Dreamhack. In 2016 it moved from Skövde to Växjö, and in February of 2018 the first ESA Winter took place, also in Växjö. For ESA 2018, it has ocne again moved locales and now happens in Malmö. Just like GDQ, ESA raises money for charity, although it is less of a focus of the stream than for GDQ. Currently ESA raises money for Save the Children, and has previously also raised money for Charity:Water and Doctors Without Borders.

All the money raised during ESA Summer 2018 goes directly to Save the Children. Absolutely no part of it goes to the organizers, volunteers or runners - everyone pays for their own expenses.

ESA might still be a small event compared to GDQ, but it too has been growing and always works to imprve the quality of the event and the stream. But there's still always possible hiccups that can happen - please have patience with things like that!

~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, time to donate. To do that, you follow the link that I'm going to add here once it actually exist, input your donation amount, and if you would like your donation to go towards any of the donation incentives. There's incentives to name characters, show off glitches, play extra stages, fight bonus bosses and stuff like that. You can find all the incentives on the ESA donation tracker.

As for prizes - ESA doesn't really have them in the way GDQ does. Sometimes there's been some grand prizes raffled out, but there's no long prize list. And no Sent, anyway. So you'll just have to donate out of the goodness of your heart.

~~~~~~~~~~

So, that's about it. Well, one more thing - there's not as much as at GDQ, but ESA has some goon representation, at least. They are featured at the following times (in UTC+2, open the schedule and look to see when that is in your time zone):

Silent Hill 3 on Stream 1 by SuccinctAndPunchy on Monday 2018-07-23 at 02:33
The Useful Dead on Stream 2 by KennyMan666 on Tuesday 2018-07-24 at 11:20
Celeste on Stream 1 by SuccinctAndPunchy on Thursday 2018-07-26 at 16:55

Kenny will also be doing three donation reading shifts: 16:00-20:00 on 2018-07-23 on Stream 1, 10:00-14:00 on 2018-07-25 on Stream 2 and 04:00-08:00 on 2018-07-28 on Stream 1.

~~~~~~~~~~

So there we go. I hope we can have another good marathon together - were here for the runs and talking about them, not for the drama. Be respectful towards everyone involved and don't let small things blow up into big things that they're not worth!

Should you still have any questions, feel free to ask! I might not be super active in this thread since I'll be on site, but I'm sure there'll be someone who can answer.

Past marathon threads:
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat)

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

A list of recommended runs that will be more cleaned up when I am at a real computer again:

Hollow Knight by Ushebti - Good tech and commentary, with some nice cosplay thrown in for good measure.
Tony Hawk's American wasteland by English_Ben - Even if you're not familiar with TH games, this is a real fun run with a good banter going on.
El Matador race by catalystz and havrd - Bouncing through the scenery!
GeoGuessr co-op by havrd and Janmumrik - How on Earth (get it?) does one run Geoguessr? Watch and find out in this awesome run.
Dog's Life by zoton2 - Live routing! Actually not boneless this time.
Silent Hill 3 by SuccinctAndPunchy - Despite the game working against him, Punchy pulls through. Features some great goon donations as well.
Pingu: Sekai de Ichiban Genki na Penguin by linkboss - GOODPLAY
Wild Animal Racing by Shigan_ - This a thing you should see.
Bionic Commando Rearmed by ViewtifulViktor - Had a dev both playing and commenting the run. So there's that.
Battletoads by TheMexicanRunner - TMR gets crowned the king of speedruns and pulls off the impossible. If you're only going to watch one thing, watch the end of this.
L.A. Noire by SeductiveSpatula - The glorious trainwreck.
The Useful Dead by KennyMan666 - Kenny shows off a game with an interesting death abuse mechanic. (I swear, someone else picked this for a recommended run.)
Deus Ex by Heinki - Some incredible glitching and skips entire levels, as speedruns are wont to do.
Awful Games relay by a bunch of people - Probably the best way to show off awful games at a marathon.
Arabian Nights by Goost91 - Watch the Kotti run from AGDQ 2018 first, and then this one. It's great,
Celeste by SuccinctAndPunchy - Punchy with a real impressive run here, with great commentary as well.
Batman: The video Game race by dxtr and EndySWE - How close can a race get?
Super Mario 64 relay race by Literally Everyone - It's chaos, it's fun, it's one of the best runs of the event.
Dark Souls Remastered race by SayviTV and Elajjaz - Goes through multiple reversals as the game clearly hates whoever is in the lead the most and remains anyone's race right up to the end, despite initial appearances.
Star Wars: Dark Forces: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast: Jedi Academy race by praskOo_, Savusukka and AerO__ - High-speed action, action, action!
Hitman: Blood money by Kotti - To quote the runner: "It's fun when things go wrong."

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 31, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh sorry this is the serious one oops.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I kinda think we may not need two separate threads for ESA since past years it's been like three people discussing it live, but I'm guessing at least it has a bit more interest now? Hopefully we'll see some fun stuff. (I know we will, though)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

TeaJay posted:

I kinda think we may not need two separate threads for ESA since past years it's been like three people discussing it live, but I'm guessing at least it has a bit more interest now? Hopefully we'll see some fun stuff. (I know we will, though)
Well - I wasn't planning for two threads, for that exact reason. I was just gonna make the regular thread as I've been doing, and had after SGDQ already talked to VideoGames about getting it stickied to maybe get some more hype. But the chill chat crew from GDQ really wanted to make a chat thread, and I didn't want to discourage them. The facts are basically that I was going to make this thread no matter what, and they were going to make that thread no matter what, so it was better to talk some things over beforehand and make the best we could of the situation. We can evaluate how good of an idea that was after the marathon.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Agh, I've been so preoccupied with other stuff that I forgot this is starting already. I haven't even caught up on all the SGDQ 2018 videos yet.

Well, all in due time. I'll post when I can.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
It’s hapoening!!! Ready for hecking good times! :kazooieass:

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Both of the races so far have been really close, excited to see what TMR and Jokaah can do.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

First recommendation (?):
Hollow Knight. So darn impressive.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Seconding Hollow Knight. Very nice run, solid commentary and funny donations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

luckily they're highlighting the runs on twitch so i didn't have to go digging for this! (hollow knight) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/287575488

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ESA so far has been what I expected from previous years: a more goofier version of GDQ.

Be sure to watch Tony Hawk's American wasteland later, it has fun action and commentary, and stay for the incentive bonus THUG 2 afterwards! (it's not over 'til it's over)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Playing geoguessr with a mouse with thumb buttons. Total amateurs, they should have known that would go wrong.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

GeoGuessr was a really good run. Watch it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Seconding GeoGuessr that was a peak euro jank kind of run

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Geoguessr was just the kind of goofy fun I hoped it would be. And seriously impressive skills too.

We also made some donations towards naming Quina in the upcoming FFIX run Punchy, so if you want to make a donation for a good cause, put it in the right place.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
World Record just dropped in Dog's Life on the second stream! By about a minute, and it's a really goofy game and the commentary was good for it as well so worth a watch.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

SuccintandPunchy's Silent Hill 3 run was entertaining and engaging despite the fact that he had to deal with some major technical issues that affected the strats. He adapted very well and really showed some skills. Well done, looking forward to Celeste!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

parabolic posted:

SuccintandPunchy's Silent Hill 3 run was entertaining and engaging despite the fact that he had to deal with some major technical issues that affected the strats. He adapted very well and really showed some skills. Well done, looking forward to Celeste!

Punchy's corrupted difficulty % run was great and even a WR

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Gonna recommend this Bionic Commando run, by a QA of the game with the creative director/sound designer on commentary in person. Quick, informative and also a PB!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

From the "Silly animal games block" I'd recommend at least the Pingu game and Wild animal racing.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

TeaJay posted:

Geoguessr was just the kind of goofy fun I hoped it would be. And seriously impressive skills too.

We also made some donations towards naming Quina in the upcoming FFIX run Punchy, so if you want to make a donation for a good cause, put it in the right place.

In addition we are naming Vivi "Comfy!"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

You absolutely need to watch TMR's Battletoads run and blindfolded Turbo Tunnel.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Horizon Zero Dawn is worth watching just to see him own the poo poo out of everything before it can (and would) have a chance to kill him.
Same for Nioh I guess but I didn't manage to catch all of it.

Honorable mention to Need for Speed Most Wanted for constantly clowning on AI cops and menuing so fast he actually soft locked

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm like 15 minutes into the LA Noire run and I can already say it's going on my recommendations list.

He forgets to turn off the DLC and as a result has a case he has no idea how to solve. Hilarity ensues.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

It's a 70-star relay race with two teams, so, 140 runners. Chaos is guaranteed.

I'm doing Star 25: Bully the Big Bully on Team 2.

This is regarding the Mario 64 relay on Friday. Now, in this case I hope the schedule will be pushed back a bit because right now it's set to start at 15.28 local time (14.28 sweden) which is like early morning in US east coast (7 hours?).

But I'm writing this to encourage you to get up early and watch that run, because it's gonna be f*ing awesome, if last year was any indication. You don't want to miss it.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Awful block gets a recommendation because it's 15 weird games in 30 minutes.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

TeaJay posted:

This is regarding the Mario 64 relay on Friday. Now, in this case I hope the schedule will be pushed back a bit because right now it's set to start at 15.28 local time (14.28 sweden) which is like early morning in US east coast (7 hours?).

But I'm writing this to encourage you to get up early and watch that run, because it's gonna be f*ing awesome, if last year was any indication. You don't want to miss it.

Per the schedule, it's going to start at 8 AM eastern. Set your alarms.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Healbot posted:

The Awful block gets a recommendation because it's 15 weird games in 30 minutes.

That was another great "only in ESA" moment.

Arabian Nights was fun, but I'd recommend first watching the original run from kotti in AGDQ 2018, then follow up with this one.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 25, 2018

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I definitely recommend Punchy's Celeste run, though I'm sure that was a given.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

The 70-Star Relay Race featuring 140 runners was, as could be expected, a beautiful mess. Definitely recommend checking it out - pro runners choking, amateurs coming up with strats on the spot, and beginners having Bowser fights foisted upon them, the run has it all.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

parabolic posted:

The 70-Star Relay Race featuring 140 runners was, as could be expected, a beautiful mess. Definitely recommend checking it out - pro runners choking, amateurs coming up with strats on the spot, and beginners having Bowser fights foisted upon them, the run has it all.
Obviously that's getting a recommendation since I was on the winning team.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'll recommend the Jedi Academy run, super fast action all the way, great and enthusiastic commentary all the way and a real good finish.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also throwing a recommendation for Hitman: Blood money. I'm gonna quote the runner kotti here:

quote:

It's fun when things go wrong

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Blood Money is a fun watch any year any time any Kotti

and if you disagree *throws coin*

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Here's the reddit VOD thread if ya need it: https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/90uwif/esa_vod_thread_2018/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Some runs are on the ESA Youtube account, probably more coming later.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

TeaJay posted:

Some runs are on the ESA Youtube account, probably more coming later.

I think they said that all VODs are going to be linked from the website, and they'll be updating a run a day as time goes on.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So here we are.

Sitting in my hotel room on my own - my roommate left earlier today, I go home tomorrow - after a late night McDonald's rush since the hotel restaurant had stopped serving food and there's literally nothing else open in the vicinity.

And the feeling is the same as after every marathon. Every marathon I've attended, every marathon I've watched from home. Some mix of melancholy and emptiness - it's actually over. It's back to regular life. For me, itt's back to trying to find a loving job.

Obviously, the feeling is a lot more there when it's a marathon I've actually attended myself. But at the same time, another feeling gets reinforced, every time - the speedrunning community is the greatest goddamn community I have ever been a part of in my life. What I've experienced since I took the train to Skövde to attend ESA 2012, ending up as the permanent donation station there, until now, is nothing I could have ever expected when I first put that VHS tape in a padded envelope and mailed it to USA for digitization. Every person involved in this makes it all so much better. Every runner. Every organizer. Every volunteer. Every attendee. Every watcher.

I skipped Sweden's biggest annual convention this year to go all in on ESA instead, a decision I made after the absolutely amazing ESA Winter - which might very well have, from an attendee/runner perspective, been the best marathon I've been to, out of the eight I've attended - including one AGDQ. I do not regret this decision one bit - last year I did both, leaving ESA partway through, but I'm not repeating that stunt. It worked but honestly, in the end probably wasn't worth it. I'm going to be sticking with ESA from now on and I think I'll try to get even more involved with it, be part of the actual organization crew. At this point, it feels like a natural step for me.

So anyway.

I've seen a number of opinions on having a second stream in the chat thread. I see what you're saying, understanding that that comes purely from a viewer at home perspective. But I cannot recall a single person - not a one - at any of the actual events that's had two streams having said anything other than that they consider it a very good idea that we should continue doing for as long as it's physically possible. I distinctly remember after the first ESA that had two streams, we were reading feedback on the SDA forums, and CoolMatty said something about that it should have made it clear why GDQ doesn't have two streams, and all of us there were extremely confused about that because we basically thought it was the exact opposite. ESA Summer is absolutely going to continue having two streams, and having that second stream opens up for a lot more goofball stuff that probably wouldn't ever get any space at a GDQ event. So there's that.

And about the threads - while the chat thread certainly saw more activity than past ESA threads, it wasn't even anywhere remotely near the pace of posting that made splitting up the GDQ threads a good idea. I definitely would like to see it get popular enough for that - but I think it's pretty clear that for the time being, we don't need two ESA threads. Even for me who only checked in like 2-3 times a day from the event itself, having my netbook in my hotel room the whole time, I could easily follow all the posts. ESA Winter 2019, being an even smaller event, absolutely won't need a separate chat thread, and I have my doubts that ESA Summer 2019 will need it too. So I'd like to keep being the one to make the marathon threads, because it's something I've done for so many years now, have poured a lot of effort into and really want to continue carrying.

I'm gonna fix up that recommendation post once I'm back home. Keep the recommendations coming - as usual, I watched less runs as an attendee than I would have done if I had just been watching from home, so I'm going to rely on the rest of you for that. i watched a bunch of things and I'll reread the schedule to remind myself what I saw that were must-watches.

For now I absolutely need sleep. I haven't slept since Friday. Well, maybe I've gotten some super-short bursts since I've laid down in the bed, but after that graveyard shift I didn't want to go to sleep since that would gently caress my sleeping pattern massively. Next time I'm going to request that I get my graveyard shift - if it once again will be that every reader/host is going to have to take at least one - earlier in the week since this last day was mostly... I won't say ruined, but at least less fun since that graveyard shift completely floored me and if it hadn't been the last day and I absolutely wanted to be around for the finale I would have gone to bed earlier the following day. So I'd like to get that over with early. From now on I'm also absolutely going to be applying for both hosting and donation reading. It's definitely a thing for me and gives me more opportunities to show off my snazzy ties.

I'll see some of you in the speedrunning thread - do drop in some time! - and the rest of you at the next marathon. Maybe I should start considering a thread for that extra GDQ.

We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I think the second stream is poo poo. That room has exactly two modes of being which is dead as a doornail or memes, which makes it virtually useless to someone who isn't fond of either way of being.

That or for long rear end runs they can't fit in elsewhere but I find that basically just declares that your run isn't good enough for main stream. I'd rather just eat the rejection than that fake poo poo.

I would rather not be scheduled at all than be on stream 2 which is why i request specifically that. I don't like it from a runner perspective and I know for a fact I'm not alone on that, it's worse from a viewer perspective since it splits attention and people miss poo poo as a result.

I basically ignored it for the duration of the event minus a couple of select friends runs.

just so that opinion is out there

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 29, 2018

• Locked thread