Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
remember that although tesla sucks and is clearly lying, we live in hellworld where there is no limit to how high you can fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

remember that although tesla sucks and is clearly lying, we live in hellworld where there is no limit to how high you can fail

As the Good Place attests: “I took the form of a 45-year-old white man for a reason. I can only fail up.”

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lmao that owns

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
just look at the loving comments on this video god drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra3fv8gl6NE

i mean god drat

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

It's like when rubes actually thought Valeant Pharma had discovered a magical way to run a pharma company doing things like cutting their research budget and firing large number of scientists.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Streak posted:

just look at the loving comments on this video god drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra3fv8gl6NE

i mean god drat

This one comment basically sums up what I said earlier about how other people perceive Musk's speech: "I think that so many words move through his head so quickly is what makes it seem like he has trouble speaking"

Or this: "Every time he stops talking I'm just imagining equations flying around in his head."

They perceive his stuttering nonsense like a brilliant genius who has trouble expressing the profound thoughts inside his head.

Shageletic posted:

I'm really tempted to learn how shorts work here.

The issue is that it's not enough to know the business isn't healthy; you need to be confident that it's specifically going to die in the next month or two (or whatever). Shorts are particularly dangerous because you can be totally hosed if the price goes up a lot. Puts are much safer (since you only pay the cost of the option per share and there's no risk of losing more than you spent on the contracts), but it's still reliant on you betting correctly that the price is going to drop within a certain time frame (and not only drop, but drop enough to compensate you for the cost of the option).

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 02:15 on Oct 26, 2018

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

bunch of loving goons buying options, godspeed

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rump buttman posted:

bunch of loving goons buying options, godspeed

consider them Laugh Futures for the thread.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I'M investing... In hilarity!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My Ameritrade account won't let me trade options unless I jump through some poorly-explained hoops and I immediately lost all motivation

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

God, the comments to that video honestly kinda piss me off. Why are these people so stupid? The way they treat Musk is an insult to actual scientists.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Shageletic posted:

Its funny laid out like this
How is Elon Musk like a Tesla? No brakes.

How is Elon Musk not like a Tesla? One has enough lithium.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Ytlaya posted:

God, the comments to that video honestly kinda piss me off. Why are these people so stupid? The way they treat Musk is an insult to actual scientists.

quote:

Zach Houston
1 month ago
watch his eyes shift like he’s reading the matrix or something while he talks , people comment like oh he knows something we don’t , your watching an interview of him telling us stuff . Listen to what this man says . He just told us we are contributing to the most powerful AI that hasn’t been, every time we use google we program it ! A drat search engine! Now the search engine can control your home your electronics etc and that’s just one AI program .It sounds dumb at first but we don’t know the future , Elon even sad it’s not all bad but it’s beyond human control. Gives me chills just thinking about it ...

lol imagine thinking google or alexa are AI

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know a couple pages ago someone brought up that accounting rules only consider a sale to be "complete" when the customer has the product.

What if, and hear me out here, Tesla doesn't consider the car to be the final product, but the VIN number. It would explain a loving lot.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Elon Musk thinks we have AI thats real lol

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

iospace posted:

I know a couple pages ago someone brought up that accounting rules only consider a sale to be "complete" when the customer has the product.

What if, and hear me out here, Tesla doesn't consider the car to be the final product, but the VIN number. It would explain a loving lot.
What if loot boxes, but cars.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

iospace posted:

Well, here's the language from their 10-K:

quote:

Revenue Recognition

We recognize revenue for products and services when: (i) a persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists; (ii) delivery has occurred and there are no uncertainties regarding customer acceptance; (iii) pricing or fees are fixed or determinable and (iv) collection is reasonably assured.

I mean, if you're a customer you don't think you're buying a VIN, you think you're buying a car.

I know Elon's a fraud; taking deposits on a $35k car with essentially no intention to deliver them proves that much. But exactly *how* fraudulent he is, I'm not sure. There's a lot of smoke but I'm not sure about the fire. I don't think they'd dick around with revenue recognition or cash flow which would be capital f Fraud and could put him and Deepak in jail, but who knows.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ytlaya posted:

remember when he attacked and insulted an actual scientist because she works in nanomechanics research

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ytlaya posted:

the guy on big bang theory is unironically supposed to be a genius

that is what stupid people think smart is

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the dumb poo poo elon says sounds dumb at first but have you considered that actually its just smart somehow?? wrap it up tslaqailures

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Parity warning posted:

the dumb poo poo elon says sounds dumb at first but have you considered that actually its just smart somehow?? wrap it up tslaqailures

Did someone say Teslaquilla?

You know the saying, “When life gives you TSLAQ, make Teslaquilla”

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember when he attacked and insulted an actual scientist because she works in nanomechanics research

Did Musk ever explain his dumb-rear end opinion on why he thought nanotech was bullshit?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

ryde posted:

Did Musk ever explain his dumb-rear end opinion on why he thought nanotech was bullshit?

:pop:

edit: THE ONE WHERE THE EMOJI IS EATING THE POPCORN

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Musk leaning into dumbass singularity poo poo makes his insults about nanotech even funnier

Wheeee posted:

the guy on big bang theory is unironically supposed to be a genius

that is what stupid people think smart is

Big Bang guy is at least more plausible than Musk. From what little I've seen of that show, it doesn't actually talk about whatever physics the guy is doing, whereas Musk specifically says the stuff he thinks is smart.

I feel like the image Musk tries to project is different than Big Bang guy. Like, he's going for more of a "brilliant visionary who is wiser than mere mortals" sorta image, rather than just "smart autism dorky guy."

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

what if Elon is right and this whole thread is bullshit

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What if it's opposite day

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

kill me

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1055653541317042177

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I think he has about another two months before his settlement-required Twitter Babysitter starts work.

That ought to be a fun job.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
cute catgirl though

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1055694290297466880

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ryde posted:

He's a marketing guy, to be fair marketing folks had been completely using it as a BS buzzword for a decade before nanotech became real. So he just sort of assumed he was dealing with someone near his level that he could dunk on.
I've had to deal with the headache from that at a few places because old sales lit would use buzzwords like that, then later regulators would find that crap and I'd have to reassure them we didn't use actual nanoparticles in any of our stuff/there wasn't any extra danger of our products loving up soil or water in their area.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

This one comment basically sums up what I said earlier about how other people perceive Musk's speech: "I think that so many words move through his head so quickly is what makes it seem like he has trouble speaking"

Or this: "Every time he stops talking I'm just imagining equations flying around in his head."

They perceive his stuttering nonsense like a brilliant genius who has trouble expressing the profound thoughts inside his head.

lol yea, the motherfucker with all of an B.Sc in Physics and who lasted all of two days in a Ph.D program sure has them equations flying around in his head at all times. Like Jesus gently caress, is this really how easy it is to get your own cult of personality?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coolness Averted posted:

He's a marketing guy, to be fair marketing folks had been completely using it as a BS buzzword for a decade before nanotech became real. So he just sort of assumed he was dealing with someone near his level that he could dunk on.
I've had to deal with the headache from that at a few places because old sales lit would use buzzwords like that, then later regulators would find that crap and I'd have to reassure them we didn't use actual nanoparticles in any of our stuff/there wasn't any extra danger of our products loving up soil or water in their area.

I can't wait for my effort spent learning machine learning and AI becoming worthless, a forbidden swear word in business for 30 years as the current bazinga wave of abusing it to overpromise and underdeliver ruins the name of the whole science and engineering field and nobody is going to want to put any money into it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

This is cultural appropriation of queer millineals

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dumb Lowtax posted:

:pop:

edit: THE ONE WHERE THE EMOJI IS EATING THE POPCORN

It's munch, not pop. :munch:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao that's a touhou werewolf, elon can't even post anime correctly

smdh

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Truga posted:

lmao that's a touhou werewolf, elon can't even post anime correctly

smdh

A nice self-own

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

isn't the Tohou fan base several orders of magnitude more nuts than most anime fan bases?

seems a perfect match for Elon.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Who dares question the vast interplanetary knowledge of cspam posters and their wisdom on *checks notes* a wolf girl from an indie game

Anyway Elon is a fraud in every possible way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thank you elon for finally proving anime is always bad