Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Can't you turn taxes off as Norsca? That would be a -4 gone which should let you ride out the event, unless you'd then have to disband too much of your army to afford upkeep. But you probably have some provinces where you don't need to turn off taxes to avoid a rebellion, and you lose the income anyway if the settlement gets raded by rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

What's gonna be my best bet as Throgg for early units to fight chariots? Surtha Ek showed up with ten chariots and a mammoth and butchered my starting army. It's turn 7 or so, so I just have access to marauders, spearmen, and javelins. IIRC javelins were really strong at least a few patches ago but it seems like they're not gonna be the best bet for fighting chariots. Do I want to spam spears or am I better off waiting for hounds?

Spears seem like the best bet; anti large which I believe chariots count as, and they get defense against charge. Javelins to back them up. Berzerkers never hurt.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Staltran posted:

Can't you turn taxes off as Norsca? That would be a -4 gone which should let you ride out the event, unless you'd then have to disband too much of your army to afford upkeep. But you probably have some provinces where you don't need to turn off taxes to avoid a rebellion, and you lose the income anyway if the settlement gets raded by rebels.

You can, and it helps. The key tho is to always be sacking and raiding and you can ride out any budget deficit. Current at the end of my Norsca campaign I was losing 20k with like seven or eight stacks a turn but had 500k in the bank. Cities give so much for sacking it'll keep you going forever.

Edit; after I kicked the Everchosen's rear end I went from -20k to +20k income. I cannot be stopped.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Playing Skaven for the first time seriously and I dunno if this is an SFO thing, but their infantry is much weightier and more capable than i remember, especially Clanrat Shields with a few ranks of exp. haven’t even unlocked any monsters or tier three infantry yet, but I have been using Queek and an assassin to great effect, Queek solos ork lords like they’re nothing

Any Skaven tips people might have in general? I’m trying to fight the dwarf hold to the south but they’re as powerful as me with six settlements with their one, which I need to get my economy off the ground as it seems most Skaven buildings only generate 80 gold. Am I supposed to supplement that with raiding and sacking, as a general rule? Should I use slaves for garrisons in places where it’s a public order thing as they’re cheap?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The latest:

quote:

It’s going to be a quiet few months from us in the Fantasy New Content Team while we scheme and plot beneath the surface. We vow to resurface soon, and when we do expect some cold-blooded and explosive content… but of course that’s after the release of the highly anticipated THREE KINGDOMS from our comrades in the Historical Team!

Our focus most recently has been the Festag Update that we put in beta in December and released to all players on Monday. You can read all about the changes here, which we recommend as it’s a pretty hefty update. If you’re encountering any issues after downloading the update, please let us know over at our support forums here.
So probably nothing until May would be my guess. :smith:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 30, 2019

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Frog Act posted:

Any Skaven tips people might have in general? I’m trying to fight the dwarf hold to the south but they’re as powerful as me with six settlements with their one, which I need to get my economy off the ground as it seems most Skaven buildings only generate 80 gold. Am I supposed to supplement that with raiding and sacking, as a general rule? Should I use slaves for garrisons in places where it’s a public order thing as they’re cheap?

Skaven's entire thing is large amounts of cannon fodder tiring out the enemy so your elites can mop things up. I often have an entire army or two of slaves (later clan rats when you can afford it) who get used to just swarm the opponents and hold them in place while my main stack's artillery blasts away at the mass. You'll kill a lot of your own guys, but you hit theirs too, so no worries. In the early game my "main" army will often be smaller than the supporting stacks, to be honest. Queek and a warpfire engineer, a couple artillery pieces, and some Stormvermin to protect it for maybe 10-12 units total compared to the full stacks of fodder supporting him. It's hard to wrap your head around at first since it's different for most other races, but entire armies are expendable as long as you win.

For the economy, again you should be mostly using support armies of slaves/clanrats, which cost basically nothing, to help get you off the ground. You can definitely supplement that with raiding and sacking other settlements, using the underway helps for that. I don't really worry about public order too much. I try to minimize things so that rebellions aren't happening every other turn, but rebellions are a good thing since they provide your lords XP (and loyalty) and you can eat the captives for a food boost. When you really get rolling money isn't an issue and you can have stacks of all elite units but that's way, way, later. It sounds like you're Clan Mors? It can be easier to go east first against the undead/lizards for the gold mine out there instead of south against that dwarf faction.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Mordja posted:

The latest:

So probably nothing until May would be my guess. :smith:

It's very lame that Lizardmen and Skaven will have gone without RoR, new units and lords for likely 18+ months.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gay Horney posted:

What's gonna be my best bet as Throgg for early units to fight chariots? Surtha Ek showed up with ten chariots and a mammoth and butchered my starting army. It's turn 7 or so, so I just have access to marauders, spearmen, and javelins. IIRC javelins were really strong at least a few patches ago but it seems like they're not gonna be the best bet for fighting chariots. Do I want to spam spears or am I better off waiting for hounds?
To beat Surtha Ek I build an army of mostly Spearmen and have it lead the attack with everything else I can muster in the second army, then I autoresolve it. Any time I try to fight him on the field I get completely clowned on, even with three full armies. It doesnt help that I'm a bad, but hey.

Staltran posted:

You can but that early in the game my economy was fragile as gently caress and my armies too far from somewhere to raid to be able to afford turning off taxes on all/most of my provinces.

Rhjamiz posted:

You can, and it helps. The key tho is to always be sacking and raiding and you can ride out any budget deficit. Current at the end of my Norsca campaign I was losing 20k with like seven or eight stacks a turn but had 500k in the bank. Cities give so much for sacking it'll keep you going forever.
This is what I have done in the past but it was a set of bad circumstances (just confederated Throgg and my armies were a 2-3 turn forced march from being able to raid not-my-land, income several thousand negative with two half stacks and a full stack, and few of my settlements with more than one upgrade because the economy is weak less than 20 turns into the game.

I really didnt intend for my comment to end up a full page discussion about Norsca :v:

Rhjamiz posted:

Edit; after I kicked the Everchosen's rear end I went from -20k to +20k income. I cannot be stopped.
This is why I started a new game, because I want to do this too (beat up Everchosen).

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sasgrillo posted:

It's very lame that Lizardmen and Skaven will have gone without RoR, new units and lords for likely 18+ months.
Lizardmen basically have RoRs in the campaign, even.

Blessed saurus warriors should be in multiplayer, dammit.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sasgrillo posted:

But the teams are all independent and are all totally working on different things and not crunching to release 3K and support the other games that CA is pushing out the door!

Yeah, it's sad that WH2 stuff is getting delayed to support other stuff, but 3K does look pretty drat good. I'd still prefer jezzails and scaly boi stuff, though.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So does the vampirates AI do armies besides "three deckhand mobs, five mournguls, two bloaters, and then one of every type of gunpowder unit"?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Crotch posted:

So does the vampirates AI do armies besides "three deckhand mobs, five mournguls, two bloaters, and then one of every type of gunpowder unit"?

Sometimes its a ton of crab cavalry which is very annoying and a pain to deal with

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Sasgrillo posted:

I'm honestly not going to buy wh3 until a year after launch. Their scheduling sucks.

Maybe I'll finally get thrones of Britannia when the China game drops

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So uh, does anyone know how to win Wulfric's unique/quest battle? You fight almost three armies worth of Brettonian troops, including 20ish Peasant units, 6 Heavy Cav, 4 Trebuchets, the Green Knight, a lord on a Griffin who is apparently immune to anti-large javelins, and some other completely insane mounted unit.

I've tried 6 times now and there is just no way to beat the sheer numbers, it is completely baffling how anyone thinks this is in any fun or anything, and its for a lovely quest weapon thats only upside is a global Public Order boost.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 31, 2019

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
They are bretonnians.

Make them route.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Frog Act posted:

Playing Skaven for the first time seriously and I dunno if this is an SFO thing, but their infantry is much weightier and more capable than i remember, especially Clanrat Shields with a few ranks of exp. haven’t even unlocked any monsters or tier three infantry yet, but I have been using Queek and an assassin to great effect, Queek solos ork lords like they’re nothing

I don't play SFO so some of this may not apply. Here are some random thoughts since I'm currently playing through a Skrolk campaign.

Most buildings only generate 40-80 gold... but every single building generates gold. In my experience, the Skaven economy is usually pretty solid as long as you don't fill your armies with elite troops because you get an income no matter what you build. The only real 'econ' skill required is the thing that increases your income by a percentage, which is something you will probably want to build in every city anyway because it gives you a lot more money, and the tier 4 and 5 version create a food.

Ambushing is huge for the Skaven, and they can get something like a +30% bonus right away in the first tier of the blue line. Remember that the default Skaven stance has a chance of ambushing as well. An easy strategy for cracking a tough nut (like a dwarf fortress) is to raid the territory with your 'all skavenslave' army while your 'real' army hides in ambush. The AI will almost always march out and immediately get ambushed. Early armies should be chock full of plagueclaw catapults which will work wonders for siege battles and crunching dwarfs. It also helps to get some rat ogres relatively early to help against tough high armor targets (like dwarf heroes). Make sure you throw an engineer in with your artillery heavy armies for huge buffs and bonuses. The lightning gun can be nice if your are fighting a lot of large tough things like lizardmen dinosaurs. The doomwheel is fun but probably not really worth the cost if you are looking for max efficiency. A plague priest is great for summoning groups of clanrats (and later plague monks) into the enemies back lines.

Food is probably the most important resource. Once your provinces are settled, they should almost always be choosing the food commandment (unless your food is maxed out of course). Always build food buildings. It is an extremely fun and powerful thing to take an enemy city and immediately upgrade it to level 5 (or a settlement to level 3 so you can build a wall right away). I also try to blitz towards all of the '+2' food techs.

Skaven have both the bell and the plague buildings for public order. They really don't require many buildings to create units, so you should usually have room for a bell.

Early on, try and have a slave army for most of your regular armies. It makes a huge difference and you can just throw those slaves at anything and everything. I've literally used them to run opposing missile heavy armies out of arrows and artillery ammo before.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Third World Reagan posted:

They are bretonnians.

Make them route.
That doesnt help because there are just more of them that take their place. I have done several quest battles with different lords and I have never seen one half this absurd and it kinda pisses me off.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That doesnt help because there are just more of them that take their place. I have done several quest battles with different lords and I have never seen one half this absurd and it kinda pisses me off.

That's actually like my favourite quest battle in the game. Bring a couple berserkers to route/kill all the peasants and melee chaff, use skin wolves to take down any knights that come charging in, and hold the line with champions and mammoths. Throw in javelins to taste.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A thing to note about Skaven line infantry (Skavenslaves, Clanrats, and Stormvermin):

If you crunch the stats, Halberd Stormvermin have worse stats than Empire Halberdiers apart from model count and armor. Take this as a sign that upgrading your line infantry as Skaven is truly a luxury you should only take once you have cash rolling in and/or have discounts (Queek for Clanrats). Your real damage lies in your specialty units, and if your lines are collapsing faster than they can kill, learn to stagger your waves and maybe even mix up Clanrats and Skavenslaves (dead Skavenslaves cause no morale penalties to the rest of the army) in your composition.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

toasterwarrior posted:

A thing to note about Skaven line infantry (Skavenslaves, Clanrats, and Stormvermin):

If you crunch the stats, Halberd Stormvermin have worse stats than Empire Halberdiers apart from model count and armor. Take this as a sign that upgrading your line infantry as Skaven is truly a luxury you should only take once you have cash rolling in and/or have discounts (Queek for Clanrats). Your real damage lies in your specialty units, and if your lines are collapsing faster than they can kill, learn to stagger your waves and maybe even mix up Clanrats and Skavenslaves (dead Skavenslaves cause no morale penalties to the rest of the army) in your composition.

Model count is a pretty big deal overall though, and the armor difference is huge.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zore posted:

Model count is a pretty big deal overall though, and the armor difference is huge.

Oh yes, absolutely. But each rat fighting worse than a cheaper, lower-tier, and role-equivalent human means that in terms of efficiency, a bunch of Clanrat Spears and even maybe Skavenslaves will do the same job of bodyblocking large units as long you have your combined arms game in good shape.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So uh, does anyone know how to win Wulfric's unique/quest battle? You fight almost three armies worth of Brettonian troops, including 20ish Peasant units, 6 Heavy Cav, 4 Trebuchets, the Green Knight, a lord on a Griffin who is apparently immune to anti-large javelins, and some other completely insane mounted unit.

I've tried 6 times now and there is just no way to beat the sheer numbers, it is completely baffling how anyone thinks this is in any fun or anything, and its for a lovely quest weapon thats only upside is a global Public Order boost.

Take some cav (or skinwolves) to mop up fleeing troops so they don't return and to take out trebuchets quickly

Skinwolves or Fimir are your best best against heavy cav.

Also if I remember right is the "completely insane mounted unit" the green knight? If so give Wulfrik a weapon that grants him magic attacks and go to town. The Green Knight and ethereal units in general have 75% physical resist, so using magic attacks bypasses that and lets you dice them up easily.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember the battle being fun and not too hard with a terror causing unit and skinwolves or javelins for the cavalry, wulfrik on a mammoth should handle every peasant without breaking a sweat.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Halberd rats are notorious for being poo poo, for several reasons. The biggest one is bad MD, while having bad MA and damage versus non large things doesn't help either. Second is just how they work; skaven units tend to, rather than having roles, have sort of anti-roles. Globadiers aren't "ranged", they're "Anti-Large Short-Ranged Ranged"; outside of their specific niche, they're bad, and inside their niche, well, they're fickle. Halberd rats have the inglorious role of being "Anti-Armored-Large Infantry", which is just a poo poo role for multiple reasons, mainly that infantry have a lot of very serious problems trying to deal with large units as is, and stormvermin halberds cannot meaningfully threaten or even zone out a lot of large units because they're too slow to chase them and have too low mass to avoid just getting knocked over repeatedly until they die. Other halberds at least can do other things, or are cheap enough you can throw in a few into your army to cover a few things, but stormvermin halberds are overpriced and trade horribly versus nearly everything not large. Stormvermin swords are the actual front line generalist. Their weakness is that their AP is lousy at that price point but... well, that's a lot less of a problem than bad MA/MD. Their strength is MD and armor, which makes them good.

MD is actually the Best Stat. You can buff MA to deal with it (tohit = 3035+MA-FoeMD), but there's not much that specifically nerfs a problematic unit's MD to focus it down easier; meanwhile there's quite a lot of AoE armor reduction spells. Armor also drops due to fatigue to 75% of its value, and because of PERCENTILE BULLSHIT that actually hurts a lot more than it looks, so you can tire out high armor units if you've got nothing else. Meanwhile MD goes to 90% but MA drops to 70% at maximum exhaustion, so if two units are grinding each other out having high MD becomes even better, and becomes bullshit when you sick a fresh high MD unit on a tired unit. You can bypass MD with ranged fire, but you can also bypass armor with ranged AP fire (shields are helpful here and hey guess who has shields: not halberds). And all units have at least some of their damage completely bypass armor due to AP damage, and a few units have sundering effects (skaven have Death Runners which reduces armor by half which, yet again due to PERCENTILE BULLSHIT, reduces survivability of high armor units by a fuckton), but nothing in melee can bypass MD. Even flanking doesn't work that well; attacks to the rear cut MD by a large amount, but models that are flanked just turn around so it really doesn't come into practice outside of smashing into a flank with cavalry or something (and they get a big charge MA buff on top of it so lol).

To illustrate this effect, here's a comparison between the two varieties of stormvermin units fighting against a unit with 25MA/35MD (because it made the math easier for me), with an assumption that it takes ten hits for them to kill and ten hits to die (because yet again, it makes the math easier for me; it actually takes less on a model per model, but there's also a lot of models fighting so I'm probably actually giving it too low a number to represent the impact of the law of big numbers but whatever). Comparison is between normal/normal status, fatigued versus normal foe, normal versus fatigued foe, and fatigued vs fatigued. I'm also just going to crassly assume that strength in numbers is always active because :effort:.

(that 143 should be a bit lower because that'd be a 7% chance to be hit and it caps at 8%)

90 armor versus a foe with zero AP will mean you take, on average, 31 hits to kill. Versus someone with 50% AP, it drops to 15 hits. Fatigue knocks it down to 20/13. So being tired means that non-AP stuff becomes more proportionally dangerous, so if you're only relying on armor to outlast chaff in the front line well uh, don't. Armor, like MD, gets more valuable the more you have of it, but 90 armor is nothing to sneeze at, as having high MD and high armor is a multiplicative relationship; even against a foe with 50% AP damage, the swordvermin would take an average of 32 extra hits in the normal/normal situation. They're not just sort of better at being a blocker than clanrats or skavenslaves, their wildly more effective in a wide variety of circumstances. Thats not even accounting for their meager leadership gains or how much they gain from redline general skills. And against things with high MA, they at least have armor to fall back on, while nonarmored rats will die even more horribly because they already have worse MD than stormvermin swords. Against elite AP swordsvermin just die horribly and are a waste of money so I recommend trying to avoid that happening, but all rat units die horribly in that situation, just some die in a less cost inefficient manner.

Anyways this is all just for me to say: don't use halberds in your front lines because they will not kill anything, then get tired and die. They're for just parking on arty crews and glowering at large units so they go and destroy your frontline instead.

e: corrected error: "innate" bonus to hit is 35, not 30. Numbers of hypothetical foe adjusted accordingly.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 1, 2019

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Gonkish posted:

But the teams are all independent and are all totally working on different things and not crunching to release 3K and support the other games that CA is pushing out the door!

Yeah, it's sad that WH2 stuff is getting delayed to support other stuff, but 3K does look pretty drat good. I'd still prefer jezzails and scaly boi stuff, though.

More like, WH2 teams are working on WH3 and the marketing people don't want to jeopardise any Three Kingdoms media right now. Youtubers are starting to get preview videos up and a focused stream of attention is better than a mixed bag of content.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lugubrious! posted:

That's actually like my favourite quest battle in the game. Bring a couple berserkers to route/kill all the peasants and melee chaff, use skin wolves to take down any knights that come charging in, and hold the line with champions and mammoths. Throw in javelins to taste.
I must be doing something horribly wrong and it occurred to me that I will have to specialize my army too. Which, unfortunately, on like turn 30, isnt possible yet.... I was rushing there to get the sword that adds to Public Order :v: Most other Quest Battles have not been nearly this hard (in my somewhat limited experience).
edit: Like...I've gone into every other quest battle that I have done with the army I had on hand with that lord and have usually won pretty easily.

team overhead smash posted:

Take some cav (or skinwolves) to mop up fleeing troops so they don't return and to take out trebuchets quickly

Skinwolves or Fimir are your best best against heavy cav.

Also if I remember right is the "completely insane mounted unit" the green knight? If so give Wulfrik a weapon that grants him magic attacks and go to town. The Green Knight and ethereal units in general have 75% physical resist, so using magic attacks bypasses that and lets you dice them up easily.
Yeah I will definitely need to specialize my army. I dont have any magic items or banners that grant magical attacks yet so I will have to recruit a Fire Mage so I can get his one skill that grants it. I have a leader repeatedly sacking an Aghol settlement to get XP so he can be my recruiter back home.

There is some Anti-Large, inexhaustible, insanely good every stat unit of Heavy Cav that spawns along side the Mountain Dew Knight. My Trolls happened to be over near where they spawn the one time and they instantly routed when charged by them, probably due in large part to the fact that most of them died due to the charge.

Most of their heavy cav are anti-large so when I did try Skin Wolves against them the Skin Wolves dropped dead nearly immediately. When I managed to get some Spearmen set up in between their Cav and the rest of my lines my Spearmen immediately broke when charged.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 31, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh you are fighting Grail Knights.

EDIT: I think skin wolves are infantry sized so units with anti-large shouldn't get a bonus against them. Make sure your spears are braced (in other words, facing the enemy, NOT MOVING) when receiving the charge from large enemies.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 31, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fangz posted:

EDIT: I think skin wolves are infantry sized so units with anti-large shouldn't get a bonus against them. Make sure your spears are braced (in other words, facing the enemy, NOT MOVING) when receiving the charge from large enemies.

Skin Wolves counts as large units, Grail Knights will kick their poo poo in. You want to bog them down with spears and throw all the loving javelins at them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

toasterwarrior posted:

Skin Wolves counts as large units, Grail Knights will kick their poo poo in. You want to bog them down with spears and throw all the loving javelins at them.

Yeah, I'm not too familiar with this fight, but it sounds tough. You want a tight formation to deal with the Grail Knights, but the trebuchets are probably making that a bad idea. Im thinking you should try and get a Drake, or snow dragon or whatever the monstrous flyer Norsca has to take care of their Arty ASAP.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
For what it's worth, great weapon fimir should smash grail knights, and I'd assume regular fimir would still win. They're still large, but they're much better armoured than skinwolves, and grail knights struggle against armour. They themselves are anti-large, armour piercing, armour sundering, and deal magic damage to bypass the knights' physical resistance.

Of course, if you're trying to do this fight early, fimir are probably a bridge too far.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank you for all of the replies...

Fangz posted:

Yes, Grail Knights, that is it, thank you. And yes, I learned just recently that my Spearmen need to be standing still to fight large things best. I *usually* had them standing still to receive a charge but have sometimes gotten myself wrecked when the Spearmen start receiving ranged fire so I decide to run them forward. At that point, the thing I have them run at charges into them and they get mauled, so thank you for pointing that out.

toasterwarrior posted:

I love throwing all the javelins so I will keep this in mind, and will do it even if it means the death of all of my spearmen.

kidkissinger posted:

Yeah, I'm not too familiar with this fight, but it sounds tough. You want a tight formation to deal with the Grail Knights, but the trebuchets are probably making that a bad idea. Im thinking you should try and get a Drake, or snow dragon or whatever the monstrous flyer Norsca has to take care of their Arty ASAP.
Its a pain the rear end. You start off facing a whole army of Peasants with some crazy mounted caster leading them. You get a message "Go smoosh the peasants while they are unsupported" buuuut right as you get there, 4 units of fire archers spawn to your right. Then 30 seconds later 6 units of Heavy Horse, 4 Trebuchets, ~10 mixed infantry units, a couple Captains, a Griffen-mounted lord, and some other stuff spawn to your left on a big rear end hill. Then 30 seconds later The Mountain Dew Knight and more Heavy Horse spawn in the center.

I'm kinda bad at battles (I enjoy the campaign aspect of the game way more (its part of why I am trying to own all of Norsca :v: )) and it makes me wish that I could do that fight in MP so I could ask my friend who is really good at battles to observe/advise/command a few units because it gets crazy. Oh and with it being a Quest mission, you cannot bring reinforcements or autoresolve.

The Crotch posted:

For what it's worth, great weapon fimir should smash grail knights, and I'd assume regular fimir would still win. They're still large, but they're much better armoured than skinwolves, and grail knights struggle against armour. They themselves are anti-large, armour piercing, armour sundering, and deal magic damage to bypass the knights' physical resistance.

Of course, if you're trying to do this fight early, fimir are probably a bridge too far.
I'm thinking that, now that I have triggered the mission to be available, I can just have Wulfric stomp around doing his thing for a while and eventually once I hook him up with a better army I can pay to have him teleport. I'll probably aim for 3 Berserkers, 4 Fimir Great Weapons, 4 Javelins, 1 Frost Drake, 1 Fire mage, 4 Spearmen, and 2 Horsemasters.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Have enough fear/terror units to continuously rout the peasants without needing to fight them much, spawncamp the archer wave and rout them off the map the moment they appear, then fight mainly on the right hand side field and let the knights from the castle outrun their artillery support. The RoR ice dragon you get from the first beast hunt is amazing for basically every one of these things.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Also if you ever asked yourself "man, I wonder how ludicrous armor damage reduction gets if I don't have decent AP damage, or maybe, any AP damage at all" boy howdy i got you covered (especially if you really want badly formatted poo poo!!!)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Also if you ever asked yourself "man, I wonder how ludicrous armor damage reduction gets if I don't have decent AP damage, or maybe, any AP damage at all" boy howdy i got you covered (especially if you really want badly formatted poo poo!!!)

Thanks for this! If you had to choose between MD and armour, MD is still better though, right?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

McGavin posted:

Thanks for this! If you had to choose between MD and armour, MD is still better though, right?

Its nice to have both if you can help it. But high MD is generally safer/more useful, tho of course how safe depends on the MA values of what you're up against (and their damage/AP damage, too, and how many ranged units they're gonna bring, and those ranged units AP values). The good examples of the extremes is those DLC dark elf Sisters of Slaughter and the Steam Tank. The steam tank is kind of notorious for not really being all that tanky due to having cataclysmic MD, while Sisters of Slaughter are able to hold a front line against near everything (their poison and shields helps, too).

The one big, nasty exception tho, is magic. Most magic is impacted by armor, while exactly none of it cares about MD. So a unit of chaos warriors will laugh off a wind blast while a unit of sisters of slaughter will get absolutely annihilated by one. Some magic is also AP, but that tends to be more expensive (with some notable exceptions: hello Warp Lightning). Also, there's some undocumented damage present in the game, most notably stuff thats related to charges and impact damage; armor seems to reduce that, while MD doesn't. Maybe. Charges do tend to add a burst of damage and MA but generally the MA is a lot more significant than the flat damage increases; this can also cause units that rely on MD to suffer if they don't have anything to back it up. Solo model units are another case where MD, while good on them, gets diminished in value, since they're often stuck in alone in the middle of enemy crowds and thus are more likely to be struck on their flanks and have their MD reduced harshly against those attacks; these reductions are also percentile values, so the more elite your dude is, the more they're going to lose.

But yeah, MD tends to be hold more impact than armor outside of the more extreme values, is more reliable, and is generally more difficult to counter. If I had to chose, I'd pick MD. If you're gearing / skilling up a character in campaign, tho, generally you want to focus on which defensive stat your character already has a lot of (my rule of thumb is that around 90ish armor is the minimum threshold to be considered "pretty armored" and worth investing in).

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Armour does matter for ranged attacks as well, of course. Generally better to have your peasant archers or chameleon skinks or whatever shoot at the sisters rather than the executioners, even with the shield bonus.

Also, I think direct damage spells like Fate of Bjuna ignore armour, yeah?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Doesn't being charged in the rear negate MD?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’ve been playing Lokhir! Haven’t played much of dark elves at all, but I’ve gotten pretty far through Vortex this time.

The essentially free upkeep units across black arks, and having one per major port means I can have a lot of sea control. The changes to sea treasure with VC means there’s quite a bit for black arka to fight out and do out there. Also being able to replenish and recruit new units anywhere with one nearby is really neat!

Haven’t had a good monster to throw a kharybdiss (spl) at yet, last one got swarmed by two units of cold one knights and didn’t do well.

Liking the hand bow corsairs for being able to destroy depth guard whilst they struggle to keep up. And all the AP ranged damage units are amazing against dinos.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

The Crotch posted:

Armour does matter for ranged attacks as well, of course. Generally better to have your peasant archers or chameleon skinks or whatever shoot at the sisters rather than the executioners, even with the shield bonus.

Also, I think direct damage spells like Fate of Bjuna ignore armour, yeah?

I think direct damage ignores armor, yeah.

And yeah, the ranged countering unarmored stuff generally holds true; the caveat to that is that it doesn't take a lot of ranged AP damage for anything to find getting shot a lot super unpleasant. Around 3, 4 AP damage is enough for a few ranged units of that type to be able to delete things pretty reliably if they don't have armor and a shield. And then there's stuff that has more AP than that and then your armored units are just going to be priority targets. Ranged units tend to be pretty drat strong in general, tho, barring stuff that just has depressing range or pathetic AP damage, and even then they're likely inaccurate as hell to boot.

Fangz posted:

Doesn't being charged in the rear negate MD?

Reduces it to like, 30%, but the trick is, this is tracked per model. So if you're attacking in the rear, your units get maybe one free hit before the enemy models in the back of their unit just turn around and then they get their full MD value to defend with. Its kind of bullshit yes but oh well. But it DOES mean that disruption from charges and whatnot are more useful against high MD units, since they're more likely to get stabbed in a more mixed up moshpit caused by cycling chariots and whatnot, but you really have to get their unit scattered apart for this to work.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm loving the Armor/MD chat, it helps me understand combat a lot more.

Asehujiko posted:

Have enough fear/terror units to continuously rout the peasants without needing to fight them much, spawncamp the archer wave and rout them off the map the moment they appear, then fight mainly on the right hand side field and let the knights from the castle outrun their artillery support. The RoR ice dragon you get from the first beast hunt is amazing for basically every one of these things.
Duly noted, thank you.