Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Follow up question: it seems a lot of Kindles are saying 'Ad Supported' do they seriously advertise in the middle of books?! (Scoping them out for pricing...) How intrusive is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Humerus posted:

This is only true of the basic non frontlit version of the Kindle, the Paperwhite and Oasis have glass over the screen now. I actually kind of miss the screen texture but I don't miss the recessed screen gathering dust and pet hair. However and I cannot stress this enough: do not buy a non frontlit e-reader. I could never go back.
There's a an e-reader thread in IYG if you want more info.

I do really love my old paperwhite, but it's definitely a magnet for dust and pet hair :argh:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Arkhamina posted:

Follow up question: it seems a lot of Kindles are saying 'Ad Supported' do they seriously advertise in the middle of books?! (Scoping them out for pricing...) How intrusive is that?

It's just the lock screen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Arkhamina posted:

Not in my experience. It just had ads when you start up your kindle.

I have a little cover to make it feel like a book, and when you flip it open, the "Swipe to Start" page advertises a book. It's a little ugly, but it's a problem for 1 second, and isn't worth spending the extra money to get rid of it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Franchescanado posted:

Not in my experience. It just had ads when you start up your kindle.

I have a little cover to make it feel like a book, and when you flip it open, the "Swipe to Start" page advertises a book. It's a little ugly, but it's a problem for 1 second, and isn't worth spending the extra money to get rid of it.

OTOH, I am extremely lazy and :20bux: is worth it so when I press my lock button it wakes up without me having to swipe.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Humerus posted:

OTOH, I am extremely lazy and :20bux: is worth it so when I press my lock button it wakes up without me having to swipe.

I think it's still gonna have a lock screen. It'll just be designs or book quotes instead of an ad.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I think it's still gonna have a lock screen. It'll just be designs or book quotes instead of an ad.

Yes but I don't have to swipe on it. With my Voyage when I used a case I never saw the lockscreen at all, opening the case woke it up with no other input. Now with my Oasis I don't use a case so when I hit the button it wakes up without having to swipe.
Yes I am extremely lazy but $20 isn't much and the QOL upgrade is worth it to me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Some people have had luck getting the lock screen ads removed for free by telling Amazon customer service something about 'not wanting their kids to be exposed to romance novel ads' or something along those lines.

I've never tried it myself, though.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

For me the extra money was worth getting rid of the minor annoyance of seeing an ad every time I want to read a book.

I'm still annoyed you have to pay more money to remove ads from a product you're already paying for, but at least now I only get annoyed whenever I remember that instead of whenever I read.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Honestly I love the lock screen because the poo poo they advertise is hilarious. It wouldn't surprise me if all the advertised books are algorithmically designed.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I really, really wish they would let you use the book's cover as the lock screen. I know it was seen in leaked code or something(?), other readers have it.. I assume there's some amount of marketing value that outweighs it for Amazon. They want you seeing the Kindle itself or the advertisement, not trying to read what book somebody's reading, maybe.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 21, 2021

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Famethrowa posted:

Honestly I love the lock screen because the poo poo they advertise is hilarious. It wouldn't surprise me if all the advertised books are algorithmically designed.

I still have the ads on my Paperwhite because they really ended up not bothering me enough to spend the money and, yes, can be hilarious.

I just got one for a book called something like "Her Billionaire Cowboy Birthday Wish" (I don't really read romance generally and definitely not straight romance, so I am 100% the wrong audience for that) and it gave me a good chuckle in the half second it took to swipe and unlock.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

I really, really wish they would let you use the book's cover as the lock screen. I know it was seen in leaked code or something(?), other readers have it.. I assume there's some amount of marketing value that outweighs it for Amazon. They want you seeing the Kindle itself or the advertisement, not trying to read what book somebody's reading, maybe.

The Kindle seriously doesn't do that? :wtf:

Between that, the ads, and the weirdly restrictive list of formats, it kinda seems like the only reason to get a Kindle rather than a Kobo or something else is if you really like Amazon.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Yeah, if I could go back in time and tell myself 10+ years ago to get an e-reader that was NOT a Kindle as my first one, I totally would. Amazon is unfortunately really good at getting you stuck in their ecosystem once you start since a good amount of books sold through them have DRM (in addition to the proprietary formatting) so you can't move them to a different reader (easily/legally at least).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I believe it's possible to remove the DRM for backup purposes

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DurianGray posted:

Yeah, if I could go back in time and tell myself 10+ years ago to get an e-reader that was NOT a Kindle as my first one, I totally would. Amazon is unfortunately really good at getting you stuck in their ecosystem once you start since a good amount of books sold through them have DRM (in addition to the proprietary formatting) so you can't move them to a different reader (easily/legally at least).

Just use Calibre with a DeDRM plugin.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Megazver posted:

Just use Calibre with a DeDRM plugin.

You still have to download the files from Amazon one by one, and even then you can only do it if you have a registered e-ink Kindle on your account.
Is the Nook/B&N any better though? Back when I first got my Kindle those were the only other ones with any real presence. I know now that Sony had one but back then I had never heard of it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Humerus posted:

You still have to download the files from Amazon one by one, and even then you can only do it if you have a registered e-ink Kindle on your account.

Did they stop supporting the kindle Windows program? That's how I always downloaded my kindle books to convert for reading on my kobo.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Hel posted:

Did they stop supporting the kindle Windows program? That's how I always downloaded my kindle books to convert for reading on my kobo.

Afaik that only downloads the non-convertible format, kwx or something like that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Humerus posted:

Afaik that only downloads the non-convertible format, kwx or something like that.
I can confirm otherwise. Last year, I downloaded Andrey Bely's Petersburg through the desktop program, removed the DRM, and converted it to PDF.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Humerus posted:

Is the Nook/B&N any better though? Back when I first got my Kindle those were the only other ones with any real presence. I know now that Sony had one but back then I had never heard of it.

I just used the PC Kindle App. You can download all the books you own fairly easily, then just sick Calibre onto the book files in the folder the app stores them in.

quote:

There are many other firms releasing their readers. For example, I'm in Eastern Europe, so Pocketbook is quite popular here.

Looking around on the internet, it seems you can buy those in the US from Newegg and https://they

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Megazver posted:

I just used the PC Kindle App. You can download all the books you own fairly easily, then just sick Calibre onto the book files in the folder the app stores them in.

There are many other firms releasing their readers. For example, I'm in Eastern Europe, so Pocketbook is quite popular here.

Looking around on the internet, it seems you can buy those in the US from Newegg and https://they

I stand corrected, maybe the DeDRM plugin has evolved since I last checked (I only use it to remove DRM from stuff I buy from Google). I had read something about needing an old version of the program to be able to work and downloading an .exe from a random website was not appealing!

Yeah there are a lot of competitors now, but I mean back in like 2010 when the Kindle was taking off. If I had no ereader currently and was looking for one I'd absolutely get Kobo, if for nothing else than the Overdrive integration.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sham bam bamina! posted:

converted it to PDF.

why :pwn:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't read ebooks and only purchased the Kindle version for a very specific project, and it was less of a hassle to export as a PDF and load it up in a terrible program I'm familiar with than to use EPUB or MOBI or whatever and have to familiarize myself with a good ebook reader that I would never use again, and the Kindle program itself was so obnoxious that it was out of the question.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hmmm alright, that's fair

I have very mixed feelings about .pdf-files (and tbh also .epub-files), but I really hate automatic conversions because they are all garbage.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

lol @ the variety of hoops amazon makes you jump through in order to pay money to read a book on a small computer. piracy continues to be the only reasonable way to read an ebook

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I wish there was a cheap way to get a decent flat bed style printer so you could print pirated books into signatures and sew them into real books

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

A human heart posted:

lol @ the variety of hoops amazon makes you jump through in order to pay money to read a book on a small computer. piracy continues to be the only reasonable way to read an ebook

To be fair, if you're buying an ebook through Amazon to read on a Kindle it takes basically no effort at all. With the newer ones, when you get to the end of a book that's part of a series it'll even give you a prompt/link to buy and start the next one right then and there. Takes like, 2 taps/clicks.

I've been trying to buy more ebooks directly from (especially) small publishers lately and it can unfortunately be a crapshoot getting them onto a Kindle, even some of the ones that are already formatted as .mobi (or, quite possibly, I'm just a dingus who's doing quite a few things wrong). I wouldn't be surprised if it's partly by design to encourage you to default to buying from Amazon to avoid the hassle.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A human heart posted:

piracy continues to be the only reasonable way

yeah except if you wanna pay for it!!!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah except if you wanna pay for it!!!

why would i want to do that?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A human heart posted:

why would i want to do that?

idk

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I guess that's a question, do publishers host their own Ebooks sales, or is their a Bandcamp sort of 'not evil empire' publishing store? I likely will just end up reading a lot of Project Gutenberg stuff, so sort of moot, but curious. I try my damnedest to not give Amazon money.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Arkhamina posted:

I guess that's a question, do publishers host their own Ebooks sales, or is their a Bandcamp sort of 'not evil empire' publishing store? I likely will just end up reading a lot of Project Gutenberg stuff, so sort of moot, but curious. I try my damnedest to not give Amazon money.

Not really. Smaller publishers will but if it's part of one of the big publishers I wouldn't count on it.
With that being said it's relatively easy to convert from Google Play to Kindle, but I have ran into books that Google doesn't sell that Amazon does.

If you don't have an ereader and you really hate Amazon I'd recommend a Kobo.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

some small presses will have ebooks for sale on their websites. but it depends on the press, some don't bother with ebooks at all(or only some books will be available in that form)

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I am at the point I am totally out of room on my bookshelf that is already stacked to the ceiling, and now have stacks on the floor.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Humble Bundle usually has an ebook bundle going on. A lot of times they're programming related but there's fiction too.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cheese Thief posted:

I am at the point I am totally out of room on my bookshelf that is already stacked to the ceiling, and now have stacks on the floor.

cool now write it off as insulation and start on the next wall

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gently caress, eddingsed again! I plowed through Christian Jacq's Le fils de la lumière and it literally ends with "so wanna know what happens? buy my next book!" I might if I didn't know there's five books in the Ramses series.

Also it's kind of lame anyway.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/Russia_NC/status/1353671658742177792?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Currently working through Anthony Trollope's The Warden. I adore his writing style. Does anyone have any other suggestions for authors who write with a similar prose?