Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Anything for Sequence? It seems really grindy and I don't want to desynch anything if it'll bite me in the rear end on later floors.

Get used to failure with the more difficult to create items that take a shitton of EXP on the list and try to minimize your losses. The RNG has the capacity to be a huge bastard and watching your 95% chance attempt fail is something to behold.

If a regular foe is forcing you to time over, back off and work on your levels and gear because there's a few enemies in the game where if you can't do damage fast enough, you'll never win even with perfect play.

In the main menu, there's an option to practice songs you've played before, so you can use that to recognize the more crazy parts that come up. These notes follow the mana panel, so find the sections that can give you a lot of mana very quickly with little effort.

Panic is right in that draining fools is very effective at getting the job done no matter what but on higher difficulties, placing out a Barrier then a Direct Healing to buy yourself some time can be necessary because there are some bosses and even regular foes that don't mess around.

Also, if you're going for the low-chance drops for any reason, I'm so sorry for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I'm going to play Sleeping Dogs again but I haven't touched it in forever. Any tips?

Melee is easy is hell. You can win just about every fight with the counter button only but that's for boring nerds. Mix up your combos and don't get hit so that you can build up your Triad score easy. If there's an environmental hazard, wait until your target is at 1/4 health (you'll see when you lock-on under their feet) to ensure that it's not wasted. Start with the bottom branch since that doesn't up your damage and make getting Triad score more of a pain in the rear end. You can hit Level 10, it just takes a lot of patience in fights.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

TheOrange posted:

I just picked Mercenary Kings up with it being on PS Plus but I was going into it thinking it was gonna be like Metal Slug or Contra, any advice for getting into that game or if I'll find much fun in it? Playing through the first mission stuff like the respawning enemies when you get offscreen and having to track each enemy down for a mission was kind of annoying.

Couldn't find any search results in the thread but I know its been on out on PC for a bit.

For the love of god, do not grind for materials because a lot of the ones that seem rare now drop by the rear end-load relative to the current rate in later ranks. There are some exceptions to the rule, but trust me, grinding is dull as hell even in the best conditions. The mission rewards will also ease the pain depending on what you're searching for. There are guides to hunt poo poo down and the Spy has the Compendium on every enemy you've killed, so use them.

Find out what type of gun receiver works best for you and stick with it. Make gun parts that complement the receiver nicely and can cover for some weaknesses it may have.

Take a look at what bionic mods you can get and only get the ones that matter most to you. Keep in mind the weight may slow you down.

Speaking of weight, if a jump is a pain in the rear end to make, put away the gun by selecting an item or your radio and you'll have a lower weight and, thus, can jump farther. There are five speeds (V. Fast, Fast, Normal, Slow, and V. Slow) so make sure you can deal with them accordingly.

Once you have a poo poo-ton of money and materials from playing the game a lot, feel free to completely ignore this advice because you'll be able to buy and make the things that'll break the game over your knee if you're at least mildly competent at video games.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just picked up Nier for super cheap. I read through the wiki, anything else I should know?

I know there's something with having jt play through the game multiple times or do certain things to unlock extra endings; will what I need to do that be obvious?

First off, when the game asks you to go fishing for a mandatory fish, look for a tunnel to the other beach and save yourself time and frustration. It's the tunnel that leads to the lighthouse. You can't miss it.

Collect all of the weapons because that's the way to see the last two endings.

Only do side-quests that you give a poo poo about. Some are notoriously lovely and time-consuming. Since some weapons are only obtained through side-quests, feel free to look up a guide for how to get them. There's only a handful for those, anyway. Also, any side-quest in the first half of the game must be done in that half or they're lost forever. The only exception is the fisherman's string of jobs. But do the one where you fight a boar and cheese that fight because boar-drifting is something great.

Don't play on Hard because your enthusiasm will drop like a rock. If you're material-grinding (god help you), you can switch to Hard on NG+ since you'll actually be able to put up a fight.

Combat is simple as hell and magic is king. Even when you get really good weapons later in the game, your magic will tear rear end better than your weapons most of the time.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

MrSquarepants posted:

What should I know about Persona 4 ? I'm thinking of getting it on PSN, am I missing a lot by not playing the vita version?(I don't own a vita). Should I play Persona 3 first?

Golden has a lot of quality of life improvements as well as some extra cool things like costumes and an extra month to do poo poo in, but you'll become effectively unkillable past a certain point and P4 as it is already isn't that hard.

You don't really have to play P3 first to enjoy P4, but it's up to you.

Fusion is always important. If your Personas already learned all of their skills, that's a sign to fuse them unless they're really good.

P4 has the option to guard, which will cover your character's weaknesses. P3 doesn't have this until Portable, so you're going to have to be way more aggressive if you're going to play P3 first (i.e. waste them before they get their turn).

Manage your time wisely because the EXP bonuses you get from S. Links can level up Personas a few times before they even have their first fight.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Damonic posted:

I just got Elite Sniper V2, which is free on Steam for today only by the way. Any pointers or things I need to know?

I've done two stages, and it's pretty rad. I especially love the bullet-cam/x-ray. :)

Laying prone lets you recover your breath faster but if any of them get the drop on you from any angle other than right in front of you, you're already dead. Sometimes, even them being in front of you won't save you.

Don't sweat trying to get a headshot all of the time. If you need a dude dead like now, a gut shot is good enough. If it ends up incapacitating him instead, you can let him be because chances are someone's going to try picking him up and getting him back on his feet. They will actually get them up if you let them, so be careful of that. No, you don't get bonus points for shooting them while they're down, if score is your main concern at all.

Always be moving and try to avoid shooting from the same spot twice unless you've got your flanks well-covered or you're so far away that they can't do anything about it to begin with. The AI is really good at surrounding you and you don't carry that much ammo for your other guns if/once things go tits up. On normal and under, you leave behind an image of where the enemies last spotted/became aware of you. You can take advantage of this and set up some traps for anyone who ends up searching for you up there.

Once you place down a mine, you're set with it until it goes off. It'll never go off under your feet (thank god) but you're not getting it back, either. You can cancel using the trip-wire if you don't like the initial stake being where it's at. Once you put down the charge, though, you can't pick it back up again.

Finally, just take it nice and slow with some of your shots because you will be dealing with moving targets at times and focus time isn't going to help you if you go crazy with the aiming anyway.

Edit: v This is probably the most important advice you can get for this game.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 4, 2014

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Damonic posted:

Thanks for the advice! One question though...does running around increase your heart-rate? (It'd make sense I suppose)

Yes, which explains why sprinting for even like a second can wind you as much as you not sprinting for about three seconds or so. Sprint or no, if you gotta run away, serpentine, son, serpentine.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
More for Raidou 2:

If you feel the need to do all of the Case Files, make your first playthrough a Chaos run so that you can access three more on NG+. The very last possible one requires that you be Neutral to get it and do all the previous ones, but you can be any alignment once it shows up in your office.

If you're close to a New Moon and you don't feel like dying or giving poo poo up, move to an area where you can't fight and walk around in it until the New Moon passes.

While blocking you can either press Circle to do a roundhouse kick (may stun, does push smaller demons back, larger ones not so much) or Square to reload your gun. Blocking can also reduce the chances on Muda and Hama type skills. Key word is "reduce" because SMT hates you.

There's a spot in the game where you can change your alignment really easily. This can help you out with getting quests from people who need you to be a specific alignment before they even want to deal with you.

X Breath skills are loving good, like really good, and way more worth it than Megidolaon. Combine with passive skills that boost the element and holy shitttt.

Buff skills and Megidola/on needs you to do another skill (even Attack) before you can do it again.

Raidou's best stat is Magic because the higher it is, the more bonus stats your demons get. Second most important is Vitality because dying is not good at all.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Going to start playing Deadly Premonition on PC. Anyone got any tips to make it fun / stop it crashing?

-Please do some side jobs because some of them give you unlimited versions of weapons and some of them give you other useful poo poo.
-When you kill an enemy, you should hear some sort of jingling sound. If you did it with a gun, you can shoot them again to knock them to the ground so that they can despawn faster. This is only helpful if you're getting surrounded and you need to dip.
-Speaking of guns, always reload after a fight if needed.
-Use the melee weapons to break obstacles faster than just shooting it.
-Smoking makes time move faster. Use that to your advantage.
-If you're going for 100% completion (why), get a guide, please.
-If you've played Dark Souls and used DSFix, there's another patch by the same guy called DPFix.
-If you crash, try Compatibility Mode on either '98 or XP to get past the crash spot.
-If you crash when you drive into a waypoint, try walking into it, and vice versa.
-For the love of gently caress, do not replay a chapter while your file is on either chapter 9 or 23 or else all of your work is gone.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Excellent advice. Thanks for the help!
To add on the whole "don't replay chapters" tip, there are possibly some other chapters where there are also key items that don't respawn, just like in 9 and 23, but it's just that 9 and 23 has caught a lot of people, and like hell are people going to root them all out. As a rule of thumb, if they hand you an important key item you can't replace in that chapter, don't replay a previous one. I think you'll know them when you see them. I don't think 23 is going to be much of a problem since that's so close to the end of the game and you'll (probably) be too caught up with the plot to go back.

If you really want to play it safe, just beat the game first and replay to your heart's content.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Chumley posted:

A week late to this but;

Don't read any of the trading cards because they spoil the story.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that's a thing.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

superstepa posted:

Anything for Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut?

I just finished watching Twin Peaks and the 90% off deal on steam was just too tempting

-If there's a crash, try Compatibility Mode for either 98 or XP. Once you get past that crash, switch back to normal.
-Do some side missions because you can get some really good poo poo from them and plus they're nicely written.
-If an enemy is taking its sweet time crumpling to the ground after you hear the jingle when they die, shoot them again and they'll quickly despawn. This is mostly helpful whenever you're surrounded and you need to get out.
-Don't worry about doing everything on your first run. Just enjoy everything and take it as it comes.
-For god's sake, don't replay a chapter while you're currently holding onto any key items because they'll be lost forever and your file is hosed. Just wait until the end if you can help it.
-One side quest has you picking up bones and handing it to a certain person. Don't immediately give it to them. Instead, wait until another side quest takes them from you and finish that one. You'll get a really powerful weapon (and it's a big deal, from a plot standpoint, depending on how you look at the circumstances) and you'll get the bones back too.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
In the event that you actually want to shoot for the Completionist achievement in Just Cause 2 (get 75% overall completed), here's some tips to help you out because it's going to be rough:

- Don't do the big-rear end cities on the west section because you're going to hate yourself. In the event that you're going to try anyway, bring a car and drive thoroughly before you start blowing up the water towers on the rooftops.

-Level up the shotgun once it becomes available to purchase from the black market because it's a monster at high levels. We're talking one-shot for chumps, two for elites. Also level up your grenades and triggered explosives (C4) because blowing poo poo up quickly is something you're going to want to do.

-Don't bother trying to walk close and set up C4 on the propaganda trailers, those fuckers always get alerted and I hate them for it. Just use a grenade and get away from there.

-You will eventually piss off the troops hard enough for them to send armed helicopters at you. This is fine because now you've got a new ride. Get away from the riff-raff and fly to as many undiscovered locations as possible. When you finally get the heat off of you, you can transport yourself to them whenever you feel like it.

-Level up that one helicopter you get that has no guns, it's pretty quick, cheap, and easy to fly. Takes off really quick, too.

-As long as you're actually completing areas and not buying poo poo all the time, you shouldn't be hurting for money whenever you finally decide to buy something.

-Attaching troops to other troops with your grappling hook is funny as hell and a good way to get two losers off of your back long enough to get away or kill them.

-All those undiscovered locations of the south-eastern most side of the world are all military bases, so be prepared for a fight if you're bent on taking it all.

-Overpasses outside of locations tend to have two armor upgrades and some other poo poo, depending on where you're at. Get them because dying blows.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I bought Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate since I enjoy this crossover business well enough to play it. I've already gotten a couple of things sorted out and am having a blast, so I figure I can give a few tips for whatever that's worth for this kind of game so that people don't repeat the same stuff I did and waste their time.

-There's four types of character this time around rather than just three: Power, Technique, Speed, and the new type Wonder. Power type characters still get super armor while attacking, but they can't withstand certain types of attacks at all, such as grab attacks. Technique type characters can now do a sidestep by pressing Jump while strafing and get bonus damage when they hit airborne enemies with Charge attacks. Speed type characters still have the same stuff as always; that is, they can do an air dash and cancel their own attacks by jumping in both situations. Wonder type characters can knock an enemy off-balance by pressing jump after landing an attack (uses Musou) and also gets bonus damage on off-balance enemies.

-Everyone can duck out of being attacked by pressing the Special attack button to counter, whether they're in the air or on the ground. It's the same animation as if they did it normally, but who cares, you're using it as a "get off" attack.

-Instead of completing missions for skills per character like in the previous two games, each one only has one skill to start with and has to be promoted for the first time to get a second one. Having a good team that can complement each other is a good idea if you plan on playing on Hard or Chaos later on, but I wouldn't worry so much since I'm sure you'll know enough about how things work so that skill can compensate for a "poor" team. Just pick whoever you like, really.

-There are bonds in this game. By doing a bunch of various things, you can make fellow officers give more of a drat about each other, which will lead to them coming in the save you with an assist if you're hit while they're on your team, give you a buff after said assist, and hand you a weapon after the battle if they're not on your team for that battle but they're present on the field. You can raise it through parties, but you can't use them to bypass the checks at the first and second section of their meter. For that, you must participate in a fight with them. Keep in mind that one method of bond raising is doing missions. If you succeed, you get 80 points; fail, you lose 40. Yes, you can be booted back down to the previous section if you keep messing up. They get harder as the bond gets stronger, but the difficulty of the mission depends on the active character at the camp, so you can use that to your advantage.

-Some side battles during the story can be locked out unless you raise the appropriate bonds for who they're asking. There's sometimes another requirement, like having a certain person already recruited that may or may not necessarily be part of that battle in person. It's not too big of a deal as long as you use those parties.

-Weapons, instead of you having fuse others into yours to raise their base attack, can now get stronger just from playing as a compatibility bonus. Depending on the star rating, it can go from +7 on a 1-star to +18 on a 4-star. Big star weapons have a rather low base attack, but can have a pretty high compatibility bonus, making them really good if you're willing to put the time into them.

-DW characters have a giant "gently caress off" attack as their Musou which only uses a section of their meter. SW characters have the same poo poo as always; hold the button to do their attack or let go and use the increased attack speed and invincibility until the meter runs dry. This means that DW can still use Special attacks once they use their Musou, but SW can't, so mind when you use it. If they're in the red or next to someone they've got a strong bond with, they hit harder, and the SW characters get a strong finisher instead of the usual shockwave burst with a pose. Guest and original characters follow either of these two types.

-Don't bother with Gauntlet Mode unless you've beaten the main story or have a strong starting team. We're talking making sure the five you're starting with are at least level 50 before starting in earnest. Since the nature of the mode is "find exit that's randomly placed," you can push your luck and try it with a weaker set, but you will be forced into fights at certain points with about five officers on your rear end at once, and if you spend too much time, you risk the enemies getting stronger and being able to one-shot you.

-The benefits for promoting a character are better than if you don't because you don't want to start at level 1 again. With the extra stats you'll be pumping in and the extra item slots, you'll be glad you did with your favorite/best character. You can promote up to 9 times and basically be un-killable unless you horrendously gently caress up or spend too long in a Gauntlet Mode stage.

-With Gauntlet Mode, you'll be able to make Ultimate weapons with the materials you'll find. Get the ones for your best character and you'll be set since they have a ridiculously high compatibility bonus at +99.

-If your commander/person who needs to stay alive is about to eat poo poo (if the game says they're on the verge of defeat), you better haul rear end to go save them. You should already be on your way to help once you see them struggling. Keep in mind that the higher the difficulty, the more HP every AI character gets, so sometimes it might be better to roll with a higher difficulty than a lower one. All depends on circumstance and your own strength/skills.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but those are some of the more important things to know.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Just Cause 3 just came out, so clearly now is the right time to play Just Cause 2. Any tips? Essential mods?

There's a program on the mod fan site that lets you find things that the in-game map refuses to identify (like water towers, for example) by using your save file. Helpful for finding really out-there things.

I'm in the minority where I don't think you need to get unlimited cash because the races aren't hard and the cash stashes you'll be finding in settlements can help you out a lot. If you're buying weapons or cars, you're loving up imo. The only exception I'd make is grenades and C4.

Military flips their poo poo at just about anything and they'll hound you if you stay on the road. Go off-road whenever they become too bothersome.

Expanding on that poo poo-flipping, you're going to run into propaganda trailers. Do NOT let stray bullets hit them. They are really fussy about those more than literally anything else in the game. Always just chuck a grenade or C4 charge and get ready to make a break for it.

Shotgun loving owns at max, but then again, a lot of the weapons do.

If you're going after colonels, I think they're called, know that anything short of a headshot or explosive will not hurt them. They also usually pack LMGs and those hurt.

Picking up 5 armor upgrades extends your health and also gives you a full heal.

Get good at traveling with your parachute/grappling hook combo. It's a good way to travel and it's free.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

Sleeping Dogs I'm not expecting anything major I should know but hey might as well ask?

If you want to get a lot of Triad score without having to resort to wearing certain outfits or the DLC, you're going to have to mix up your moves, avoid getting hit as much as you can (not that hard once you get the hang of things), and to save the environmental hazards for when your intended target is at 1/4 or less HP left. That way, you can milk out some more points and get your Triad experience. If you want to milk it further, avoid getting damage upgrades for as long as possible.

On the flip side, you really don't need to care that much about Cop score because the game throws out a lot of tasks for you to earn that. If you handle your missions perfectly (that is, avoid any clumsy mistakes and avoid harming innocents or causing property damage), you'll get your points easy.

Races in cars are really easy if you use the dedicated ram button to total the competition. On bikes, you'll just have to nudge them into stuff carefully. Either way, you can outrace them if you're able.

Food gives buffs, like increased attack, defense, and regen. Eat pork buns, or else you're not a whole man.

Cops aren't that threatening and are really easy to lose. The ram button while in a car totals pursuers in about two attempts.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

Anything for Freedom Wars?

-You can revive your teammates at a distance using your Thorn. Don't do it the normal way unless you're sure you're not going to get the poo poo shot/beaten out of you.
-Orders are useful and you should be using them, especially for your accessory.
-If your accessory gets taken, you'll be stuck with a lovely spare, so go save them ASAP.
-The lives counter only applies to player characters, not A.I. ones. If your A.I. teammates are down and you can't reach them before they respawn, it's not the end of the world.
-Get a partner during the second half of the game because, unless you're willing to hold off on the aesthetic entitlements in the game and pour your EP into your party members' equipment entitlements, your rear end is going to get kicked.
-Barbara's Easy Blaster is king poo poo if cared for correctly, but as long as you know what you're doing, any weapon will do.
-There are guides available about how to create something called a "late-bloomer" weapon. This won't matter until the post-game because that's when you should (hopefully) have your weapon development facilities at the maximum level to create them in the first place. It's long, tedious bullshit, but the results will speak for themselves if you can pull it off. Otherwise, you can afford to cut some corners and end up with just a great weapon.
-The special operations are the high risk, high reward missions of the game. The easiest one to finish is the one in Jakarta and it gives you 10,000 entitlement points for about five minutes worth of effort. Get a buddy/buddies and run it a bunch if you want the most effective grind in the game. As long as you live long enough to finish it, anyway; it's still a special op and they don't gently caress around.

If you have any other questions, and you might because there's probably something I missed, I'm all ears.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Anything for Samurai Warriors Orochi 3? it's the free game for Xbox One and i kinda sorta have an idea from playing Dynasty Warriors 8 and Hyrule Warriors but you can really,really see how far the series has come because no lock is pretty bad.

Also the time travel mechanic is pretty weird and the game mentioned in the base camp that switching characters can sometimes unlock new levels and stuff, how prevalent and bullshit are some of these levels to unlock? Because i'm already getting so many people and switching between them all between each mission is going to be a pain.

Not really bullshit to unlock, you'd just have to raise bonds between the characters they're asking for. Missions are a good way of doing that and the bond-locked levels ask you to hit just the first threshold (from red to yellow). These levels aren't too prevalent, I feel, but you may feel differently about that. I wrote a bunch of crap that I'm probably going to revise and someone was nice enough to put it on the wiki over here.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

RatHat posted:

Does the game warn you before it starts the DLC and you lose your upgrades?

If memory serves, it's the same "this is the point of no return, do everything you want to do first" message that appears in various parts. I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you they've taken everything until you learn about it during the first cutscene of the DLC.

Also, I've no idea how you could come out w/ less praxis points going in because you get gifted back all your poo poo at the very end of the DLC and those points are part of it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

I have Deus Ex Human Revolution - Directors Cut on my " finally to play" list. Any hints? Stealth or Fight approach?

If you can get the drop on folks either way and as long as you have a gun of some sort you care about to upgrade, you'll be fine. The pistol is a real solid choice for that, for example. Really, as long as you realize you can and will die in a few seconds of sustained gunfire and use cover to your advantage, you should be tough to take out if it ever happens at all.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Is there any consensus as to a solid solo character in each Borderlands game?

For 1, Roland if you plan on using the recommended shotguns and assault rifles is a fine character to solo the game with. From the 3 branches:

Infantry
- Impact is good to have even if you don't want shotguns at all.
- Your turret is strong enough usually, but Sentry is nice to have.
- Scattershot owns and is a must-have if you intend on using shotguns.
- Metal Storm is eh, imo, since some of the stuff you're going to get in the long run is already going to fire fast and not have bad recoil. Good if you're going to prioritize rifles over shotguns, though.
- Refire is good since you should be using your turret as a distraction and anything to get it up faster is good. I'd be good with one point.
- Assault is good if you have a strong assault rifle, but the clip is tiny or the accuracy is bad. Otherwise, I'd skip it.
- Guided Missile really only needs one point if you want it. It's strong enough to justify itself, at least.

Support:
- Defense is really good, I'd max it out or put 4/5 points in it.
- Stockpile is eh because at the rate the game tosses ammo at you sometimes, you won't really need it. Money will stop mattering, too, so you can just buy what you need.
- Quick Charge is also a must-have, especially if you're running shotgun.
- Barrage is okay if you want it, but I'd skip it.
- Grenadier is eh, but if you've got a really nice mod, it can't hurt to get a few points into this.
- Deploy is a nice alternative if you don't care enough to grab Refire from the Infantry branch. Together, it's great.
- I've never used Supply Drop, but if you really are chewing through ammo that fast, sure why not.

Medic:
- Fitness is great because having more HP means you won't die as often from explosions you didn't see coming (and there will always be at least one, trust me).
- Aid Station is solid and works great with Fitness and HP regen armor mods if you have them.
- Overload is awesome because it's like Assault except for every gun type but no recoil reduction.
- Cauterize only matters if you're playing co-op. Since you're going solo, skip it. If you do end up pubbing or getting a pal, shotguns are great at healing.
- Revive ups your friends at a chance if they go down near your turret. If I remember correctly, your turret goes away when you go down, so it won't work for you.
- Grit owns because a lot of enemies will have guns and will want to kill you with them.
- Stat is great if you don't have an HP regen armor mod and is really great if you do. I'd only bother with one point.

Still, even if shotguns and rifles are your bread and butter, always use the best weapon for the job. 1 uses a weapon proficiency system, so as long as you stick with a weapon type you actually care about, you'll become great on your own in time. Kills scored by your turret will increase the proficiency of the weapon currently in your hands, too. Final note: Transfusion grenades own, but really, all of them do.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Edit: Also I'm really enjoying 5. What are the definitive versions of 3 & 4?

Portable for 3 and Golden for 4.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Palleon posted:

Anything for Lost Dimension beyond what's already in the wiki? Just started it up and got past the first judgement. I'm noticing a few levels have doors on the map I can't open, is that normal?

I think you can get in those spots later for some files for 100% completion (not as hard as it sounds tbh). Anyway, some stuff about the team since the game's random on who's the traitor and who's not. Since you already know you're gonna play again if you want the good ending, I'd also take a look at the skills since you're gonna end up using a lot of them for each character. (IK = Instant Kill)

Sho:
+ Very good AGI and DEX thanks to passives and his growth.
+ Crits often
+ Has access to Mystic Shot, which can IK any enemy. This is somehow not the most ridiculous thing he has access to.
+ Daydream skips the next Enemy Phase and basically gives you a free turn, but that's probably not gonna happen unless you specifically gun for it or wait until NG+.
- Is boring as hell.
- Will rob any kind of challenge you can get from this game, frankly.
- Always there for a good reason, so you can't avoid the last point.

Himeno:
+ Good at CC and nuking, especially with Searing Blast and Firestorm.
+ Ignition gives her more power with every Pyrokinesis-type skill. This includes Hellfire Miracle (why would you have her use her knife).
+ Can lower her GP and SAN cost once she masters any of the three skill types.
- Ignition only counts for Pyrokinesis-type skills; Combustion-type skills sadly break the chain. This sucks hard since Volcanic Eruption is one of her better ones.
- Ice is meh
- Cannot take a hit

Toya:
+ Pretty ridiculous range with Coil Shot, even if the accuracy is kinda average.
+ Has an SMG. one of the only two, so he has access to wide sweeps for multiple enemies.
+ Well-rounded stats.
- His damage kind of sucks.
- Can stack charges to buff his stats and reduce costs, but if he gets grazed before using anything, they all go away anyway because gently caress you.
- He is somehow duller than Sho in personality.

Mana:
+ loving nuts STR and VIT.
+ Torpedo Fist and Earthcrash gently caress everything that isn't the boss of the level.
- Including your team if they're close.
+ Can passively buff the team's attack if she masters all Overdrive skills.
- The second-last person you want going nuts.
- Probably has the worst MOV stat out of everyone, so you have to either stick her in the front at the start or waste a Defer to get her where she needs to go.

Nagi:
+ Can fly and has a lot of MOV because of it. Probably the best?
+ Has the other SMG, see Toya.
+ Very unlikely she'll get hit thanks to her stats.
- It will suck a lot when she finally gets hit.
- Average damage that doesn't get a lot better as time goes on.
- Has buffs and debuffs that you most likely aren't going to use in the long run.

Sojiro:
+ Only real healer and drat good at it.
+ His final Side-Effects skill makes him become a wild card that can instantly poo poo on any enemy he hits if you're lucky enough.
+ Pretty sturdy for a medic.
- His regular attack is rear end.
- The IK skill he has barely goes off enough for it to be worth it, especially when you could be healing instead.
- The healing will trivialize anything you run into if Sho doesn't.

Zenji:
+ Can force assist attacks even if someone hates him, copy stats, and share healing thanks to linking. This can even extend to sharing Gift skills.
+ Lucidity is a skill that can pretty much make sure he doesn't go berserk as long as the crits keep coming.
+ Pain Sync, Reversal, and Insanity benefits a weakened Zenji getting hit or about to hit someone.
- Very lovely range.
- His shotgun isn't even that strong compared to his teammate's weapons until the endgame stuff becomes available, which makes it more insulting.
- Seriously, gently caress Zenji.

Marco:
+ Up there with Sho and Mana for "toughest guy to kill" thanks to Stop It!, Not This Time!, and naturally good defenses.
+ Stab Them! is good, Pierce Them! makes it great.
+ Has an IK in the form of I'll Get You! that is also fairly damaging if the IK doesn't go off.
- Absolutely the last person you want to go berserk, especially if he has access to Destroy Them!
- No really, he's worse than a berserk Mana.
- Kind of a baby until he gets over himself.

Yoko:
+ Has access to a large amount of buffs and debuffs, especially Brain Hacker which is buffing everything for everyone.
+ Her psychic attacks are respectable.
+ She's not an rear end in a top hat, probably the nicest person on the team.
- Doesn't respond well to getting punched or shot in the face, like Himeno.
- The debuffs kind of suck compared to the buffs she has.
- Might be just personal bias, but she doesn't seem to crit as often as Sho or Marco, the other pistol users.

Agito:
+ Very fast and hard to pin down.
+ Crits like a motherfucker and has an IK skill.
+ Summon Allies is the second-most busted skill in the game.
- Like Nagi, it'll suck to get hit.
- The teleportation effect will gently caress your frame rate if you're playing on a Vita.
- The times he doesn't crit will suck.

George:
+ Very, very basic "big man with sword" so expect him to hit hard.
+ If you manage to get Crusader, the only (not Materia-based) Full Heroism skill he has, congrats because now you can use Full Heroism to lower costs and hit even harder.
+ TRUE AMERICAN PATRIOT
- Doesn't really get good until NG+
- Kinda bad MOV.
- His Analysis stacks will never, ever matter.

Golly, that's a lot. If there's any questions about anything else in the game, go ahead and ask.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Palleon posted:

Thank you, that's helpful. The only other question i have at this point is Is George going to be the auto/first traitor in ng+, and if so, how can you max his trust since i didn't feel like i had a lot of time there?

Depending on if the game thinks it's really funny to make him the first traitor again, but that's low odds and I don't think he's allowed to be the first traitor again on the first NG+ run.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Palleon posted:

Last question about Lost Dimension then I'll stop. In NG+, do all bonds carry over or only maxed? I found out Nagi is the traitor, and her bond is one notch from max and I need to pass judgement. Will she reset to zero on NG+ or start back where I left her? Otherwise I feel like it was a waste, and you only get so many chances to rank them up...

It's all or nothing to max their bond in a given run, but the game remembers which ones you did get max bonds with. The hosed up part is that you might just have one more to go before the very end and the game can still gently caress you out of getting it because the one you need is a traitor before you can max them out.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Alopex posted:

I got Darkest Dungeon on the Steam Sale, please give me pro tips for success and not loving myself over.

- Stuns are real good on the enemies that are weak to it. Denying your enemy turns is the main way to stay ahead and some classes with the right trinkets can stun all the time, giving your damage-dealers enough time to stomp holes.
- Don't sleep on DoT attacks if the enemy has high PROT. Sometimes, it's faster to make them bleed to death than whacking them with your weapons. (Skeletons don't bleed, please do not try to do that. Use blight instead.)
- As long as your heroes have 1 HP, they cannot be instantly killed. Any attack after while they're at 0 can probably do it, but if you bring them back even with a lovely heal, they can keep on trucking.
- It's ideal to have a party that can hit all 4 ranks at all times. The stressful enemies enjoy chilling in the back away from that Leper, so you're going to need someone with good range to hit them.
- Causing enemies to move around can sometimes gently caress up their damage potential. The Cultist Brawler gets a lovely attack that causes scratch damage and no bleed if he's pushed to the back, for example.
- Improve the Stage Coach to give you at least 4 new heroes per week. You can toss newcomers into basic dungeons and fire them once they bring back enough loot unless you like them or they have a good spread of quirks.
- If they have Kleptomania and they're not the first Crusader you get, send them packing unless they're worth fixing.
- Once they become unlocked, focus on fixing up the Guild and the Blacksmith. Levels restrict what your heroes can have and you generally don't want to spend on them unless you know they're worth it in the long run.
- Sometimes, loving up is okay and so is running away. Unless you're playing on hard, there's no true loss condition and you're always gaining power.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Zaodai posted:

So I picked up Nioh on Steam, been loving it so far despite having not played much of Souls games in the past.

I do have a couple of specific questions, however. I've played with most of the weapons, and I think for my first playthrough I'm going to go Axe/Spear (though I also liked Tonfas, Single Swords, and to some extent the chain sickle for future playthroughs), and I feel like Heavy Armor would go well with that. That said, I've found a bunch of good medium armor early and not much good Heavy armor. Does that get better later? Is Heavy Armor with an Axe a not-poo poo choice?

Heavy armor w/ Axe is completely viable once you get into the swing of things w/ how ki pulsing works. I'd also invest in the stats and skills that make it easier for you to move around in heavy armor in the future. You should also check out skills in other weapon skill trees to see if there's anything that can benefit your eventual playstyle; this can be bonus stats, extra damage in specific stances, and carrying extra of certain items.

What's more is that resetting your stats is pretty easy and cheap, so there's no wrong way to go about doing things. It took me a long while to set up a ranged weapon build and had to rely on swords until I got everything set up, but the reset made the final setup painless.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

I'm thinking of starting RE6, is there anything not in the wiki I should know? Primarily along of the lines of play this character first (I'm hoping to play events in chronological order but I doubt that's possible) or weapons and stuff that aren't worth the effort.

When you do Jake's campaign and play as him, it's a matter of finding when to use his fists (the weapon, not the universal melee) and when to not. Yeah, it's really cool to uppercut and flash kick people, but there's a lot of enemies with guns and they're all decent shots. If you charge his attack, you can lock on and dash across the room to punch them and move left or right to adjust as needed. Keep in mind you're still open to getting hit and Jake will not stop unless something blocks him, knocks him over, or he hits his target.

E: Also, Sherry has a stun rod and it's good for breaking J'avo pods with like three fully-charged swings. You can get some cool things sometimes and at least you won't get hit in the back in case you ever forget about them.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 17, 2018

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Tell me about This War of Mine. I'm thinking about buying it, but I have no experience with survival games beyond Rimworld. Would you recommend it? What do I need to know before my first game if I decide to buy it?

Much like in real life, some people are goddamn useless at fighting for their lives but they can be really good at, say, building poo poo. Everyone has different health totals, strengths, and weaknesses but the game will tell you who is good for what. I forget the name of the schoolteacher, but she's only really good if there's kids present (DLC stuff) and even then not really? It's an extra pair of hands, though, so there's that.

Also much like in real life, some people are totally okay with committing murder (like the guy who was a soldier before running off) and some people are definitely not ever going to be okay with committing murder. It can cause depression and make some people gently caress off and leave the house or even maybe kill themselves (never saw it happen, might be bullshit?), so be careful on how you carry out your business. Just know that if you really need to kill in order to keep someone alive, they might be more understanding of the situation and the penalty won't be as severe.

Always have whoever is staying during the evenings defend the house. They can sleep during the day after they've taken care of their important goals, whatever those are. Also, make as many beds as there are people minus one since you'll want someone to mind the door. Obviously, if you've got good weapons, you can afford to let one more person sleep, but you'll still want at least one person awake to defend poo poo.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It sounds like that'd make the game even more depressing than it already is, but I guess that's the point.

My next question is whether This War of Mine is fun to play. Is it so depressing and/or hard that it's kind of a slog, or does the game play outweigh the depressing bits?

Thanks to all replies thus far.

I wouldn't say it's a ballbustingly difficult game, it just requires some patience and common sense to deal with certain problems (weapons can help you defend your home, food is way better when cooked, jumping a guy when he has a gun from the front or even at all is a Bad Move, and so on). I'd go as far to say as even with the most useless characters in the game, you can still earn a victory once you've got some experience with the system.

As for depressing situations, it can get as dark as can be expected from this type of subject. I'm not exactly of a stone heart here, but I was more worried about winning than paying much mind to what was happening. There were a few things that did knock me on my rear end when I gave it some thought, though. As for you, I don't know your threshold for dealing with sad poo poo, but as long as you expect it to be pretty bad at times, I think you won't mind it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Onimusha 1, or Onimusha: Warlords if you wanna go that way:

- The only things that matter for getting an S rank at the end of the game are the amount of demons you killed, number of souls collected, and time spent. In order, that's at least 600, at least 55k, and 3 hours or less. The only thing you get out of doing so aside from pride is an extra costume for Kaede.

- There are collectibles called Fluorite and there's 20 in all. There's an item that lets you see them since they're hidden in the various backgrounds, but as long as you occasionally press X on some spots, you should get by until then. They don't count toward the rank, so you're free to gently caress around and get them for Samanosuke's extra costume at 10 and the Oni Spirits minigame at 20. After that, you can proceed to not give a drat about them ever again.

- There's a very clear point of no return that will cut off access to some part of the main playing area. There's another one after that which locks you into the final area. For the first one, it's a door and you'll know it when you see it, trust me.

- Don't blow herbs and medicine unless it's in a boss fight or you're playing as Kaede, and for her just stick to herbs. Sam has the benefit of getting health back from yellow souls. Bosses usually drop enough to top you off. Hell, if you have the souls to spare, upgrade some herbs to medicine because medicine is a full heal in this game.

- Yeah, enemies do hit that hard. If you're not attacking, you better be blocking.

- If a hit is sufficiently strong enough when you block it, Sam loses his balance and is open for a follow-up. Those demons that carry axes love to do this poo poo, so either dodge or kill them quickly with magic.

- If you attack just before an enemy hits you, you will murder the poo poo out of them in one hit and get a bunch of souls. Don't test it when you're about to die unless you really don't care about game overs.

- It may not seem like it at first, but you can block arrows, you just have to be facing the shooter since Sam won't automatically correct himself when you block like he would with a melee attack.

- The thing to get past the doors is leveling the magic orb, not the weapon that comes out of it. Learned that the hard way.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Just cleared Onimusha 2, didn't get an S or care to look it up, but I do have some tips and tricks:

- You can finally block arrows by just holding block instead of having to look at the archers! That poo poo is great!
- Issen timing is a little easier in this game and you can chain it into another one provided that you time it correctly and there's at least one more enemy close enough to you. Chaining was probably in the first game, but if you've played 1, you probably didn't really need to do that to get by.
- If you can, you will get secret moves for your weapons. They're down, then up and Square. If you time it right, you can do a follow-up. You need the scroll for the correct weapon, though.
- Always upgrade your poo poo as soon as you can. You can leave the armor for later, but weapons are pretty important.
- There's a charge move where if you press and hold R1 firmly/quickly/whatever the hell the game thinks is correct I mean seriously, you can do an attack that can stun or knock over any mook in the game. Picking up certain scrolls with let you charge longer for more moves.
- In the gold mine town, always buy out the gift shop by grinding for gold. You will get a very nice prize at the end and also have a bunch of crap that your new friends will like.
- Talking of your friends, context matters when you hand something over. If you give them a gift they normally hate but you're both real good pals, for example, they may actually like it instead of hate it. Also, if they're in a specific location, they might really like a gift for the occasion.
- There's two pairs of friends and one hates the other in the pair; Ekei and Magoichi are petty as hell to each other and Kotaro doesn't trust Oyu one drat bit. The penalty for this is not as severe as you might think, but it's still something to keep in mind if you want to be friends with a certain person. You should know that Oyu doesn't enter the picture until a bit later, so if you want to score a bunch of points with Kotaro without pissing her off too bad, that would be the perfect time.
- Certain items will always yield certain rewards. If you give Ekei a Caligraphy Set, he'll jazz you up a Fancy Paper with sweet words on it.
- Ekei loves booze and food that's good with booze. Magoichi is a nerd and loves nerd poo poo. Oyu has an interest in cute things and some (definitely not all) Western stuff. Kotaro likes things that are fun and rare things as well.
- There's a guy early on next to the gift shop who wants a Melon. He gives you Chalk, so pass it to Ekei. He'll give you the Tale of the Heike, which you can give to Magoichi. He hands over the Emblem, which goes to Kotaro. He'll give you the Melon, which you can give to the guy and you'll get something very useful for powering up your weapons.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 22, 2018

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

I don't know if we know this yet, but, without spoilers, should I play Undertale before Deltarune? I followed the comprehensive goon lp of Undertale so I know what happens, but I've heard Deltarune reads/internacts with your Undertale save, so if it does things cool enough I could see playing through Undertale myself.

There's been reports that this isn't actually the case, so you're free to play Deltarune whether or not you have Undertale installed on your computer.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Since Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition seems to be the more easily accessible version to get these days what with the original not being on Steam for new purchases anymore, I played through that and have some new advice that can go along with what's already on the site:

- Doing the leg-break stun can allow you to do the "stealth" takedown from behind where Wei just elbows the guy in the chest. It's an instant KO, but I would save it for arenas since you'll probably want to save your enemies in story missions for triad score where possible.

- Unlike the original version bombarding you with DLC outfits right when you get access to the apartment, you can now purchase them at a night market vendor whenever you want it.

- If you're interested in getting 100%, the Wheels of Fury missions count but they don't get listed as jobs or events in the statistics section. I believe it's all around 3-5%. Doing missions for Tran via the phone also counts for 100%, so don't forget like I did until the end.

- Speaking of Tran, those jobs can earn you a fuckton of cash so long as you don't scratch the cars you're picking up. Just get good at action hijacking or plan roadblocks on your target carefully.

- Zodiac Tournament opens up early in the plot and you can bum around looking for the collectables there when you're done with it.

- I would save buying all of the cars until you get Face Level 10 because a 40% discount rocks.

- The fat guys normally can't be thrown unless Face is active but the special throw where Wei drops an elbow on his target's head (lock-on and hold grapple) goes through their immunity. From there, you can quickly do a stun follow up even though the symbol isn't above their heads.

- Always Be Eating. I can't stress how nice it is to have buffs.

- For Nightmare at North Point and Year of the Snake, just get a guide for the collectables if you want them. At least for YotS, they show up on the minimap if you're nearby but not on the main one which sucks a lot, NaNP doesn't even do that for you.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I have just discovered that knifes break in Resident Evil 2/Biohazard. Any other surprises I should be aware of?

If you get grabbed on stairs by a zombie, you can't use a defense item to break free, so avoid fighting on them as much as you reasonably can.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Heat Signature protip: Turns out that the terrible void of space is a weapon, one that you always have with you. It is also a non-lethal weapon, at least for a little while anyway. Use this to abduct targets when you are dumb and forgot to take along a non-lethal weapon like dumb me who is dumb. That one shuttle that can pick up spaced targets from a distance is probably a good idea to have for this.

This is also wonderful when you're dealing with someone who has a shield and you lack any crash-type items but you have a window nearby. Space is ace.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Some stuff for Indivisible since I just beat it last night while getting everything I could:

- Since everyone has their own quirks, it would be best to figure out what they're capable of as soon as you get them so that way you can shut down enemies as reasonably fast as possible.

- Some characters, like Dhar, perform a buff instead of an attack. In his case, it beefs up his neutral attack and up attack per action and he can hold 12. Also, buffs like this carry on between fights.

- Certain obstacles will send you back to a specific checkpoint rather than saddling you with minor damage and letting you try to salvage your progress. It's usually the cone-shaped spikes that do this.

- Getting the red upgrade materials will let you increase your defense and your attack. There's enough to max out both in the game but I wouldn't necessarily call it mandatory.

- Past a certain point in the game, your buddies will ask you for a favor. If you do it, they get a ton of levels. They range from "talk to someone in an obvious spot" to "collect some things across the game world." Note that, at least as of this writing, the ones that ask you to fight an enemy will probably be incredibly easy because I don't think they tuned them to match your level. Depending on who you ask, this can be nice or not.

- If there's a barrier or otherwise impassible obstacle/gap, you probably don't have the tools to deal with it or you need to think about how to apply them if you do.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 12, 2019

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've been playing Let It Die recently and I do have a few things since the game's gone through some updates since 2017:

- There's a new vending machine in the Waiting Room ("Hernia") that has daily and weekly items that you can purchase with either Kill Coins or Death Metal. Sometimes, high-level or otherwise pain in the rear end materials can be bought with KC and it would be wise to snap them up whenever you get the chance. There's some other things Hernia can do, but it's meant for people who are going to be spending time in the post-game, or at least going to be grinding for a while. If you've cleared the game already and stopped playing since: Yeah, there's a post-game now.

- In the event that you see an enemy in the way that you can't possibly sneak past, you can throw a mushroom (that won't blow up) as a lure and then suplex them.

- You'll want to level up the Fists Mastery as much as you can while you play the game because you're inevitably going to run into a few situations where your weapons break and you still need to take someone down. It will take a long, long time before you hit Level 20 but it's worth it in the end.

- When something goes wrong, just cut and run. If you don't see yourself making it back to the Waiting Room, at least try to die on as low a floor as possible to reduce retrieval costs.

- When you unlock the next tier of Fighter, dumpster the current ones and move onto the next. The difference in strength between a Rank 2 and a Rank 3, for example, is remarkable.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

I wish Let it Die wasn't weighted with the freemium.bullshit.

There was a time where you lost decals upon death unless they were Premium quality, which was the dumbest goddamn thing and I only came back when I heard that wasn't the case anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Something about Indivisible that I just found out because it honestly never occurred to me until I tried it out an hour ago: You can spend a bar to swap someone from the reserve to the front line.