Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Oh gently caress you Apple...

This weekend I tried to buy a book I've been working on in Aperture. Looks like they shut down the book buying service from iPhoto and Aperture on April 1st with virtually no warning (could have at least emailed those that have used the service about reprinting books?).

Alright, so I guess I'll update from Mountain Lion to El Capitan to print this thing in Apple Photos. Not only does Photos not import the book I've been working on, but Aperture 3.45 is not compatible with Yosemite and El Capitan. And the App Store is not recognizing my Apple ID to upgrade Aperture to 3.6, nor can I buy Aperture from the App Store again.

End up copying Aperture over to my wife's computer on Mavericks, and then exporting all the photos in my book with color correction so that I can rebuild the thing in Photos using it's lovely book creator. It actually goes surprisingly fast, only because Photo allows you no layout customization so my options are fairly limited instead of being able to do anything custom. Good and bad I suppose.

What a huge loving disappointment. I wouldn't be nearly as annoyed if Apple didn't disable to special version of the PDF Book Preview that I need to take it to a company like Presto Photo to print with another company. I don't even have it that bad. I read a forum post from a guy that does wedding albums in Aperture. Couple ordered books before April 1st and now they want more, and the guy can't print the identical book with Aperture and is hosed.

I'm in the same boat with feature cuts.

I take photos everywhere and often times in the middle of nowhere and iPhoto gave you the option to look at a big map and go "I took the photo here" and zoom in to where I was for a particular series, which I can then export as needed. These photos take place over multiple years, so having them organized by place is ideal.

Photos replaced this functionality with "Look at this list with vague location names sorted by date and if you shift click on them we'll pop up a super-zoomed in single-pin on a map." I'm going to have to use iPhoto until OS X stops supporting it and then stay on that version of OS X forever. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Whoever made this decision regarding Apple Music is a disgrace to humanity:

If you go to Settings -> Music and set "Show Apple Music" to off, that goes away.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Question: I've recently started using Word and Excel on my Mac (Because I have extra installs, so why not) but every time I start one of them, it feels like it's loading the library of congress - even on small files.

Is there a trick to opening word documents in word without needing bed rest?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Does your Mac have an SSD? Because Word 2016 is a 1.9GB application on my machine for example. Off the SSD, it starts instantly. I tried to time how long but it starts so fast that I literally could not get any kind of accuracy with a stopwatch. But I've seen people with platter drives try to use it and yeah it's slow. It's a big application.
It...doesn't really load the whole app bundle, does it? I mean, starting Excel fresh (which I just happened to do) it's sitting at 85MB RAM and Virtual Memory.

I do have a platter drive, though. I was planning on upgrading once those nice 1TB SSDs that released last year come down in price from "Ridiculous" to "Pricey."

Thanks Ants posted:

If it does what the Windows versions do and query printers before loading then check you don't have any printers with hosed driver packages installed.
I have one network printer and deleting it and its' software made no difference. :(

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Nah, it only loads the binary, it'd be funny if it loaded 1.9GB of data just to launch you into a blank page. But it is a large application in general. It's going to feel slow on a platter drive. We're hooked on fast IO now.

My recommendation would be to upgrade to an SSD. And if you're south of 8GB of RAM, I'd say - gently caress it, get 16. It's an inexpensive upgrade and will make your machine fly. Yes, even Word.

I have 16. I've been told I can support 32 (which is not what Apple's specs say), but I haven't tried that. I would have gotten an SSD when I got this Mac, but the upgrade was ridiculously expensive and there weren't any large SSDs at the time. I simply can't exist on 256GB.

The only applications that load slow are the Office apps. Even my VMs start up nice and quick without so much as a hint of slowness. I was hoping it was a configuration issue.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Have you ever used OS X with an SSD? You might re-think your 'nice and quick' assessment then.

Honestly, it MIGHT be a configuration issue. Try repairing permissions (that is still a thing we do, right guys?). Check Console.app to see if Office apps are spewing any kind of errors when they're starting up.

But my friend has a platter drive and Office 2016 and it's slow as gently caress for her whereas it's instant for me, so I really think that's the main difference. It probably loads lots of small files which means a lot of seeking.

No, but I am fully aware of an SSD's speed increase, I've just, literally, never needed it in OSX. Fusions' Win8.1 Pro VM starts in 32 seconds. I don't even have enough time to burn my tongue with the coffee cup next to me before I have to actually work in it. So throwing an SSD in there was never a priority. It seems ridiculously crazy that I need an SSD for Office. :(

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

NeuralSpark posted:

I've seen massive speed increases in launching Office apps by validating fonts in Font Book, and removing the dupes / "bad" ones. YMMV

Thank you, kind sir. I had 47 fonts with errors and 127 fonts that were duplicated. Purging them made Word and Excel start in under 10 seconds. :cheers:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bigsteve posted:

Tried that, just sits at the menu on the pc. No option to run anything. Will try again just incase.

No optical drive in the PC.

If you have the ISO of Windows 7, load up Bootcamp and say "Create Install Disk" and then have it use the flash drive. (Note that I think this is restricted for 64bit windows images, just in case you are trying to install on the Sempron or something.)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bigsteve posted:

Just tried this and all I can is a flashing cursor in the top left of the screenn

Tried it again, it loads up but sits at auto boot on default as if it has no image on.

I guess im gonna have to go round a friends and do it on PC, main issue is that it may be a bigger problem.
This sounds like your USB drive isn't setup with proper boot partitions and it's either hanging on a misconfigured device or just passing over it because it doesn't have an active partition.

Weedle posted:

Boot Camp installers are only designed to work on Macs. If your PC supports UEFI booting, you might check the boot menu and see if there's a UEFI option for your flash drive. If not, or if you've already tried this, I'm afraid I'm stumped.
I've used this method for almost a decade, now (because I have A PC and A Mac and sometimes the PC shits the bed, mainly due to my tomfoolery) and it hasn't failed me even once. I thought the BCI had a non UEFI fallback?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

What is good for document (and non-document) file management?

DevonThink crashed, burned, and took all my meta-data with it. Again. :(

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

Evernote, onenote, Google keep, Notes.app
Documents ! Notes
Evernote and one note both are terrible for archives of documents. They throw everything into a zip file. (OneNote cloud version doesn't even allow documents inline last I used it)
Keep and Notes app are just xRTF editors, no document management.

flosofl posted:

Yeah, when it worked DevonThink was awesome.

But after eating the entire database taking 5 years of scanned, OCR'd, and tagged data -- *twice* -- and then with the restored database from backup being a horrible lovely cluster gently caress, I gave up. Even though I got around 5 years out of their product, I'm still pissed at them.

I just use Evernote now and I'm looking at migrating it all to OneNote. It's really hard to leave all that custom tagging behind. OneNote will do custom tags, but it's weird and seems you can only assign the tags using the client you created the tags in. So if I create a tag on one computer, I can see the tag on another, but not assign it to anything new.
I'm somewhat interested in Zotero. Granted, it's made for research, but it allows for a lot of metadata and will automagically pull various data items in (such as ISBNs, because I have lots of ebooks). It'll also let me sync across platforms, which is great for my work laptop being Windows.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

I'm not sure what the difference is, sorry. Most of my "documents" are scans and PDFs and they display inline and download in their original formats.

A document manager is something that will toss your file either into a database format that is recoverable or onto the file system itself. In both cases, it will then store additional meta data about that document in a searchable way - and the good ones allow you to apply the same metadata to multiple objects that are similar (e.g. A report that comes out once a week is the same thing, just with a new date as the one that came out last week). Adding notes to this is generally useful, too.

Ever/OneNote lets you put documents into them, but they store them in a zip file. Both will let you search the contents if they are OCRd, and you can just toss stuff in the same page as the document you are displaying inline (such as searchable terms) but then you just have a giant mess to go back to later. And if you ever need to switch, you don't have a useful way to get information out of OneNote, either - it's manual. I have my entire DevonThink data in an CSV that I can then use to populate just about any format that I end up going to.

I use OneNotes for notes, and it works well, but to actually store and manage documentation, it's a nightmare. For instance, just in my notes that are simply dated pages under a tab, I toss in PDFs that I annotate here and there. The last two years of OneNote notes is over 700MB in a single file. I back this up religiously because, as has happened over the last couple of years, Microsoft inevitably effs that file up something fierce. I've had to restore it almost a dozen times. I usually hedge my bets on loss by taking the older tabs out to a new OneNote file and archiving it.

They're okay for they do, but it's not great if you wish to archive multiple types of documents and files long term and will want to find them again.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

japtor posted:

EagleFiler comes up now and then, not all that often but people generally seem to like it. Found some links about it vs other options:

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2011/09/07/switching-to-eaglefiler/ (...and one from this year, switching to the Finder)
http://www.kevintaylor.me/kevintaylorme/2016/3/12/qcxyvgzbujwln0odlq8bjfwfbr8ez6

You could also look at a crapload of stuff on alternativeto.net under Evernote or whatever other app you can think of.

I will check out eagle filer, thanks!

I don't use places like "alternativeto" because they invariably gather programs that don't belong together because they share a feature. I was also hoping that other people here were digital pack rats like me and knew of an awesome program I could use. :v:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Go on....

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

It can open stuff fairly quick (although the sheets I worked with could take several minutes) but manipulating that data it's a dog, and throwing hardware at it doesn't resolve this. When you get past a certain point, every new line seems to drag it even further behind.

That's the threading in Excel, actually. If your system uses hyper threading, then once you max the number of threads equal to the physical cores in your machine, then it actually slows down calculations because the threads start fighting with each other to monopolize single cores.

To make Excel run the most effectively on Windows (which is great advice in the Mac software thread :v: ) set the number of threads to Physical Cores - 1.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Question: What is Time Machine's backup strategy? Is it Weekly + daily and hourly diffs or Main + Unlimited Incrementals or...?

I ask because I'm looking to update my three year old external drive that I use for TM and trying to extrapolate how much space I need. Right now, it is holding 17 months of backups on a system that runs at about 400GB of storage and it's using 1.9TB of 2.1TB.

Theoretically, I need to maintain about 24 months of backups for reasons that don't matter. Would 3TB do it or should I plan on having more like a 4/5TB drive for overhead in case I max out the 1TB system drive?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

Anecdotally, I have a 128gb MBA with a 500gb Time Machine and I seem to have complete backups going back to November 2014, which I think is when I started using TM? If there are specific files that have this specific backup requirement, it might be easier or more reliable to use AWS or Crashplan or some other solution that gives you a bit more granular control. TM strikes me as the backup solution for the widest swath of the market who just need something in case they spill a coffee on their computer or accidentally delete their wedding photos or something. It's a bit of a black box otherwise.

I was asking about the form of those backups.

For instance, there is a huge space difference between: Full backup Monthly with Weekly Differentials plus Full Daily Backups with the Last Day being Hourly Incrementals vs One Full Backup and everything else being Incremental.

japtor posted:

Just a general backup suggestion here, check your backups now and then. I don't know if it can still happen, but there was a TM bug a while back where a bunch of stuff could get added to the exclusions list without notice, and without showing up in the prefpane. I'd guess it was something to do with temporary exclusions (which apps can request) getting stuck or something.

I backup my Time Machine drive to a NAS, which also syncs the backup files to AWS. If you don't back up, even your back ups, you are begging for trouble. :v:

Arsten fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 9, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Froist posted:

They're all incremental. If you dive into the backups folder each timestamped backup looks like a complete mirror of your hard drive at that point, but all the unchanged files are symlinks to the previous backup. Once the drive fills up, the oldest backups are pruned (and the required "real" files moved to the next oldest backup) until there's enough space to backup the new deltas.

If you need to keep 24 months of backups it's entirely down to how much churn you generate, not the total size of the disk you intend to back up.

Awesome! Thanks!

Last Chance posted:

uhh, I'm not sure if this is a good idea due to the symlinks and craziness involved with TM backups. Does this really work?

Disk images with change deltas are what get stored on the NAS. MacOS or Windows could create a recursive folder structure and the backups don't care in the least.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Not only does it use hard links, Apple added support for making hard links to directories just for Time Machine. In traditional UNIX systems you can only hard link files.

This is a HFS+ only feature, and is one of the reasons Time Machine can only write backups to HFS+ disks. My guess is this is also why when you back up over a network (eg to a Time Capsule) it stores backups in a HFS+ formatted disk image - AFP and other network file systems probably can't natively handle directory hard links, so you need a locally mounted HFS+ FS for it to work.

So, could I make an HFS+ disk image on my NAS and mount it on MacOS and have it store the time machine backups there? I would love to be able to ditch the local drive (as I do with Windows using the same HD-Image-On-NAS-for-Backups method I just asked about) and go purely to the NAS which backs itself up offsite.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

I just turn on the "TimeMachine" switch on mine (WD MyCloud X2) and assign a share to it. TimeMachine creates a sparse bundle for each machine on the same share. I haven't had an issue backing up multiple machines or restoring data.

Sadly, my NAS doesn't have a TimeMachine option.... It would do almost everything else if I hadn't disabled most of it, though. Does the MyCloud series also backup to AWS(Edit: or elsewhere) by itself, or would that have to be handled by a computer?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

are you talking about currently? Or for why iPay won't completely live in macOS?

For currently, I would guess reason is that Apple's not willing to take the risk of being financially responsible for storing CVV2 data. 1Password probably felt the risk was minuscule to the convenience based on how it's implemented and retrieved. Default behavior only locks the Apple Keychain when you log out of your account. 1Password default locks it's vault after idling for 5 minutes.

These are choices made by Apple and 1Password respectively, there's no "rules" requirement at all. Neither the keychain or 1Password are payment methods. They are secure storage containers.

However, to be accepted as a payment method, CC companies require your CVV2 data to be stored in a secure hardware enclave. Which is why the future macOS implementation will require an iOS device with a finger print reader, as those devices have that enclave built in. macOS is likely not storing any of that data at all, but passing on token data sent by the phone itself for Apple Pay transactions.

Wouldn't it be because Apple needs to follow the standards set by the card issuers and/or banks in storage of the financial detail? I'm also somewhat certain that Apple Pay is tokenized and the CVV is the 2FA for access to that token information from a new device.

1Password, on the other hand, is just a local encryption vault. It doesn't have to care that banks exist at all.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Just stick it in iCloud Drive

This. The 50GB plan is 99cents a month. Casual movement of files is easy and cheap.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flavor posted:

It's interesting to me that scrolling is such a huge issue for some people here. I'm not even thinking of how to scroll when I change between Windows and OS X (using default scrolling settings on both), but many people are very :spergin: about it. Explains a lot of the whining about new releases of anything.

kefkafloyd posted:

Natural scrolling makes sense when you're touching something (and I have no problem scrolling that way on an iPhone or iPad) but as soon as you're not touching the screen a disconnect comes in for me. I'll use old-style scrolling until the option goes away.

This. The trackpad (or iOS screen, as the case may be) or even how the magic mouse is a touch-enabled scroll wheel is perfectly natural and useful for me to use in the "natural scrolling" style.

The minute I have a mouse with a real scroll wheel, my brain screams at me like a banshee in heat if rolling the wheel towards me makes the screen go down. On the last few revisions of OS X MacOS, you can actually set the mouse options so that the Mouse Wheel works normally and the trackpad works with natural and that differentiation is very useful for me in moving back and forth between Windows, MacOS and Lie nyucks.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Well I think I've complained about the Aperture sunset quite a bit in Apple threads already, but yeah, that was a better one. The library was better, it worked on OS X better, it was a superior product.

I use Lightroom now because I have to. I've lost all of my historical edits, every import requires me to manually manage my library in a way I didn't have to before, I had to download profiles for my camera to get my NEFs to look at least somewhat OK without tweaking, where Aperture did a fantastic job. Lightroom is great for the professional photographer I would imagine, but it's not that good for a competent amateur in the same way Aperture was, and there's nothing to fill that space... Also it just doesn't perform as well, Lightroom kicks the rear end of my top of the line rMBP if I play with it too long.

Anyhow, whatever, this is the hand we're dealt. At least I get PS with LR. With the weak Canadian dollar though, it is an expensive subscription!

Does light room have a map to show you where images were taken?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Yes, but it's a half-baked feature that doesn't work very well.

At this rate, I'm going to keep using iPhotos until we have to transition to 128bit Operating Systems. :(

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

I have a camera with GPS support (Sony a99) and while it will show you a map of where photos were taken, it doesn't seem to really do much more than that. Syncing GPS info is rather easy but entering in manual location info (aside from lat/long if you know it) is a pain and / or annoying. It's a bullet point feature, nothing more. There's no real logic or intelligence to the location info. Why can't it use the lat/long to automatically know what city/town I took it in? Why can't it know that some photos were taken at a particular point of interest? It's because Adobe doesn't have Google's kinds of hooks into that sort of info.

As long as it plots those points on a map, that's really all I need. I will start at the North America level and then zoom to the photo I'm interested in because half of my pictures are miles from a nearby town. It'll be like "Lusk, WY" and the photo was actually taken 50 miles away in the Badlands (which has fewer Cardassians than you might have been led to believe).

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Yossarko posted:

If I try and log out (from this screen) it freaks me out because it says it will "stop using iCloud with this computer" and that i'll have to "set a password for my mac". I'm a little afraid that if I do things, there may be some weird consequences. I use iCloud for basically everything on my mac. I guess everything should "come back" when I connect back again but I'm a little wary (especially considering how it keeps forgetting my password).

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18999?locale=en_US <= this doesn't reassure me

Yes, they are removed from your Mac....but they are still in iCloud. When you connect back to iiCloud again, it'll resync all of that.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

2GHz vs 5GHz has nothing to do with that. Being on the same network doesn't even have anything to do with it. They just need an Internet connection.

If your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks are segregated by your router, it will affect Continuity, but that's about it in terms of network choice.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Right. Syncing iMessage history doesn't use Continuity.

Sorry, I meant that as a continuation of your thought and not as an argument.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

How dare you not be trying to argue :mad:

If I don't dare, who else will? :feelsgood:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

enojy posted:

To be completely honest, I'm not sure if my problem is with iMessage, Messages.app, or some other sort of disconnect between my iPhone and MacBook. All I know is it will work (i.e. complete parity sending/receiving messages on both devices) for a while, then the MacBook will stop getting texts until I intervene in some way, whether it's cycling my Apple ID sign in, iMessage on my phone, signing in and out of iCloud, etc. I am still able to successfully send texts via the MacBook when this happens, though.

If cycling your Apple/iCloud ID works, then there's a glitch somewhere with either the encryption keys (getting deleted because of age, etc) or with the Apple account or with the sync to your devices (bad internet?). I'd lean more towards the keys getting removed from service.

I thought there was an option about key lifetime somewhere, but I can't find it now.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What do you guys rip DVD's with? Can't stand having physical media around.

I tried handbrake and the mp4 ended up having random blockiness/artifiacts. I've only done this before under Windows, I think I have a DVD drive in my old HP that I use for an emulator box so maybe I'll just use that.

I've noticed handbrake does that if you use the Normal preset instead of the High Profile preset for media that works better on the the High Profile.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

You unlock the watch and it stays unlocked till it loses contact with your wrist.

If your watch comes in proximity of your Mac, it's being worn by you or someone that knows your passcode.

To get that level of confidence with an iPhone, you'd have to pull it out of your pocket and either touchID or enter a passcode --may as well just type in your MacOS password with the same effort.

You just would need to stick a finger in and done, no taking it out. I do this with paying all the time as most of those payment terminals are at hip level. Turn to the side, press my thumb in until a beep and then I'm done! :v:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a good iPad app that supports the Apple Pencil for taking notes in class? I've seen a few for general notes, drawing, etc, but I'm hoping for something a bit more robust in its organizational capabilities.

OneNote. Gives you a three-level hierarchy (Section -> Page -> SubPage) and supports pencil writing fairly well, especially in the full-screen mode. It'll also sync (via Microsoft Account) to your other devices. Only down side is it takes a few days to get fully used to it on the iPad. It works a lot differently on Windows than on iOS or Android.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Is there any software that will let me mirror folders from iCloud Drive into Dropbox?

E;nm: I are dum.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah, you have to go to their site to get it rather than Apple's extension page.

https://www.ublock.org

I thought uBlock was bad and you needed to get uBlock Origin?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Does anyone have any information on the new file system's readiness?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

It's only a preview and a lot of features are unimplemented. You can't use it as a boot drive or as a TM drive. Use at your own peril. Full release tentatively scheduled for 2017.

Damnit, pivo. You give me the :saddowns: .

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Have you ever used OS X with an SSD? You might re-think your 'nice and quick' assessment then.

Honestly, it MIGHT be a configuration issue. Try repairing permissions (that is still a thing we do, right guys?). Check Console.app to see if Office apps are spewing any kind of errors when they're starting up.

But my friend has a platter drive and Office 2016 and it's slow as gently caress for her whereas it's instant for me, so I really think that's the main difference. It probably loads lots of small files which means a lot of seeking.

I disassembled my iMac to try out some 16GB DIMMs. Great news! The 2013 iMac supports 16GB DIMMs. Bad news: OS X doesn't recognize TWO 16GB DIMMs at the same time. During the endeavor, I threw in a 1GB SSD because I, of course, had to take out all of the things so it seemed an opportune time.

I was wrong, Pivo. So wrong. Hold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

It's alright bby. I'm here. Always. Seeing the light of the SSD is something that only happens once. I was glad to be part of this experience.

The contrast is way more apparent than Windows. I wonder why that is.