Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Boomerjinks posted:

Shhhhiiiiiii

I kinda hope that same bird was the one in this video (at 3:24) and he just spends his time flying from racetrack to racetrack checking out all the various cars at said race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I want that in my life so bad. I would literally do everything in that.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Timage posted:

Wait a second there. A radial engine? I assume there's some ridiculous transfer case/differential to take the power 90 degrees so it's not pointing down?

There also a lack of cooling and generally everything else I'd expect to have under the hood of a vehicle. kinda thinking it might just be for show.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I don't think I've ever wanted a toyota more in my life.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Backov posted:

How much energy would a long (4'?), heavy steel blade suddenly letting go at high RPM have? Enough to punch through any sane amount of steel enclosure?

Duh, it's red.

I've had the blade on my normal riding lawnmower come flying apart while in the middle of mowing. It made a nice dent in the mower deck, but didn't manage to actually pierce it.

And by come apart, I mean the last 7-8 inches of steel on one of the blades snapped off in one big chunk and went off on its own.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I think I might be the only person that actually likes the look of the California. It doesn't really seem likes its trying too hard, which I think most of the other "modern" Ferraris are doing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I like how the PT Cruiser just looks like it wants to die.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Zeether posted:

Also I wish I could find this in a bigger res because oh my god Wats on an RX-3 are beautiful:

I don't think I've ever seen a bad looking RX-3. Also, My mind unconsciously hit report instead of quote on this because it was thinking it was unmarked NSFW. :swoon:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/27/aston-martin-dbc-mid-engine-concept/

:flashfap:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

El Scotch posted:

It has the face of a fish.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. :zoid:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mmmm, toasty.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

freelop posted:

Putting out oil fires with MiG engines strapped to a T-34 :black101:

And french markings, which really makes it imo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Apparently Lambo has hopped on the hybrid supercar bandwagon with their new car, the Asterion. I dunno, its awesome, but kind of boring at the same time. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

revmoo posted:

You should make a thread for those boats. I love looking at them and dreaming. Honestly it's not the sale price that turns me away, it's the fuel mileage.

Or just a thread for boats in general and other water going things would be neat. Nautical Insanity: Now we've managed to set the water on fire?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Kenshin posted:

Only if I don't get yelled at for posting about sailboats

I wouldn't care and I'm sure enough people would find it interesting to read about.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Well, IoC said its cool to make a new one, so I'm trying to figure up a first post for the thread with general safety and common terms and the like.

EDIT: Feel free to come up with a witty thread title though, because I'm bad at it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bolt it on to any motor for an instant 50 D'awwwwpower. :kimchi:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Memento posted:

That thing on the left there is a Komatsu 930E haul truck, fully loaded weight of 1,270,000 pounds. She's a big fucker. The loader on the left is a LeTourneau L-2350, which holds the Guinness World Record for Largest Earth Mover, and can move 160,000 pounds of rock in one scoop. Four scoops will fill up the Komatsu.

Look at the dude in the haul truck cockpit. Look how tiny he is. These things are loving massive. I'm a little over six feet tall, and I don't even come up to the middle of the wheel on the LeTourneau.

I'm rather curious if that loader was actually made at the LeTourneau plant in Longview or if its just using their name on it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Memento posted:

Yep, there's a bunch of Lone Star State stickers on the wall at the workshop that came with the paperwork. They ship them through the Panama Canal in several containers worth of bits, which is a whole lot cheaper than you'd think. This site is in South America, West Coast, but they get to our sites in Australia the same way. I can't imagine buying off-brand or badge-engineered stuff from China or India or Brazil would end up being any cheaper at all, in the long run.

Awesome. Several years ago while I was in Longview, I stopped by to see if it was still around but it looked somewhat deserted. My grandfather, dad and both my uncles have worked there so its kind of neat to hear its still going and making stuff.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Page 400 went by with no mention of the Buick GS400, so have one in yellow to make up for this.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

:colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

88h88 posted:

If you're selling things then you get no say in what happens to it after the sale. If you want something to stay stock, don't sell it, either keep it or donate it to a museum.

Or sell it a fellow enthusiast who would keep it original. Perhaps some young eager kid who will tell you how he wants to keep the dream alive. :haw:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mind sharing? I can't figure it out at all.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

SouthsideSaint posted:

So you read one of my posts talking about how one year of vette I drove was as lovely as all the other years I drove, and only choose to acknowledge one thing I said. :cmon:

edit: before another old man on the internet jumps on my nuts about vettes. This is my opinion on them. And much like an rear end in a top hat we all have one and each one is different then the last.

And yours is full of poo poo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Jekub posted:

The Goodwood Festival of Speed has many amazing, historic and incredible motor vehicles, more so than any other place on earth I would expect.

However I have more pictures of one specific car than any other.

So shiny, so chrome!

Is that the actual car? Like someone was able to purchase it?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

This 1951 Ford F-1 van came into my work yesterday. The owner's wife tried to make the owner sell it to me, but somehow they didn't think my offer of $56 and half a pizza was serious. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

:flashfap:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The nuclear reactor in the russian alfa class attack subs was pretty bitchin. They used molten lead to cool it while out on deployment, but if it was allowed to cool too much, the molten metal would solidify causing the reactor to shut down. To keep this from happening while in port with the reactor shut down, they would pump super heated steam into the reactor to keep the metal in a liquid state. However due to the generally lovely conditions in the soviet union, they would often have to keep the reactors going since a supply of superheated steam wasn't always available.

EDIT: I'm fairly certain there are some legit nuclear physics dudes who will point out any mistakes I just made or can elaborate further on it. I'm just kinda going off memory and a quick google/wiki search.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh, a quick check lead me to believe it was lead-bismuth when I went to look stuff up. Either way, it was a nuclear reactor cooled by liquid metal with is loving awesome and hopefully is more interesting to mr giant cargo ship engine parts are boring up there.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Two Finger posted:

should probably point out i actually work as a marine engineer so yeah to me this stuff is everyday

click the ? by my post if you want to see some photos of ships i've been on, pretty sure I posted about an engine overhaul in this thread

It was largely sarcastic. I get dealing with something every day means its boring as poo poo for you, but its still kinda awesome to the rest of us, so you'll have to excuse our excitement. :shobon:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McSikBdGghU

:colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

Anyway as to not poo poo this thread up this just showed up out the blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6_083S-CyA

Made me think of this video, had to go watch it again. It makes probably one of the best noises I've ever heard. Some people dream of old ferraris, I dream of old astons. :swoon:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, I was trying to find some images of flat/satin black '69 or '70 AMC rebel 2 doors to see if they look as awesome in real life as they did in my head and I came across this thing. I don't care if photo is in black and wire, it looks gorgeous and so much more menacing than the actual Machine. :swoon:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The Locator posted:

The entire thing is just a work of art. I'd be interested in knowing more about it from the technical side, especially, given the source of the engine, the cooling. Boat engines are designed knowing that they have an endless supply of cool/cold water to suck through the ridiculously powerful mill. I wonder how they managed to get this to stay cool with a closed system.

Big rad, lots of fans, a stand alone electric water pump and some clever piping? I'm more curious about its reliability. While a boat engine is generally reliable, its having a different kind of strain being put on it (running at varying RPMs constantly) compared to what it was designed to handle (constant high RPMs).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I dunno, I was thinking more Tri-five chevy. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I found something the lexus front end looks good on. :colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I did. Even if it has a scion badge on it. :colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Honestly, I just like to imagine gm as a giant preschool with the accounting department acting as teachers. Every now and then, the accounting department stops paying attention and the engineering and design departments get left alone in the play area with the parts bin unlocked and magical things happen. The accounting department comes back and lets them have their fun for a bit before they force them to put their toys away and go take a nap (ie: make a new chevy cruze).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That zombie hunting permit is expired anyways. What the hell good is it going to do him in the ~zombie apocalypse~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

In the 5 minutes it took me to check that, message someone and them respond, it went from 33k to 49k. loving hell guys, at that price you could pay someone to build one that hasn't had sand blown through it.