Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Soul Glo posted:

Can I ask why all this flash cart chat isn't considered :filez:? Did ROMs become legal and I missed it or something? Genuinely curious, not being a smart rear end.

From the Games forum rules:

quote:

2c. What about Roms/Abandonware We also allow anything that isn’t commercially available or easily purchased, within reason. Check with a mod before hand. However we do not allow rom sets or random torrents and anyone REQUESTING files will be punished. This is not a file forum.

This thread is pretty much entirely about the not easy to find stuff, since none of it is produced anymore.

You guys are making me really want to start buying crazy stuff that I have absolutely no business spending money on.

Edit: Beaten. But still... man, I want that HDMI NES mentioned earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Does anybody know offhand if there are performance differences between SNES and SFC when running the same cartridge? I realize that some SNES and SFC games have slight differences (like faster scrolling text in Rockman X 2 vs Mega Man X 2), but I mean if I took a single SFC cartridge and swapped it between an SNES and an SFC, would there be differences? Or is it all effectively the same down at the chip and board level?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

BulimicGoat posted:

I've been looking into creating a dedicated emulator PC for my media room, similar to what's been discussed recently and want your ideas about how to solve this potential problem. My ideal setup is to have 12 unique USB controllers plugged in at all times:

2x NES
2x SNES
2x Genesis
2x PS1
4x N64

My plan is to pick up a couple PCI - USB cards to accommodate the additional required ports and just reach for the respective controller for whichever game I plan on playing. My concern is possible mapping issues. Is this too lofty a goal?

I've been thinking a lot about this and keep wondering why somebody doesn't just make a modular USB device that can handle multiple controller types. http://denki.world3.net/retro_v2.html is pretty close to what I mean, but I'm talking about something that could handle (ideally) 4 controllers, with some sort of swapout interface where you can just plug in a connector for the type of controller you're wanting to use. Obviously, you'd have to have specific boards per controller type, but that's not THAT huge of a deal overall. I suppose you could make something that basically contains a 4 port USB hub and do it that way. There's so little that uses more than 4 overall that it just seems like a good way to go.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Unmature posted:

Vita really needs a great Monster Hunter rip.

Play Soul Sacrifice. That's the game you're looking for.

God, reading this thread is killing me inside. Growing up, I never had an SNES, because I asked for one and my mom opted for a Genesis instead. Kinda felt cheated. Now, as an adult, I'm finally going back and getting to play those games that I missed out on, and I'm having to restrain myself from buying all the classics, because it seems just a little bit irresponsible to not pay bills just to get my retro fix. Meanwhile, I'm drooling over pictures of an XRGB Mini in action, and my wife is saying I can go ahead and buy it when we have the cash. But then, I need RGB output to really utilize it to its full potential. So I have to pay for that too. And the games. ALL the games. At least, if I want to be a little cheaper about it, I can get one of the flashcarts.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
SD2SNES is what I've been looking at (as well as that fancy new NES form-factor N8). Don't get me wrong, I had a ton of fun with my Genesis, once I got some more games. But I was the kid that wanted more Mario games, after playing 1-3 on the NES. Platforming in Sonic wasn't even close to the same kind of experience, and that's what soured me on it more than anything. You're probably right on using the tube TV. I've got one that's pretty much perfect, but it's the one my son uses primarily. Maybe I could use it as a springboard to get him into gaming, though.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Mercury Crusader posted:

A friendly reminder that you should not gut PlayChoice-10s to make your RGB NES/Famicoms or whatever. Stop killing all that old hardware, there are only so many of them and you are killing video game history why are you killing video game history knock it off history haters

You aren't inherently killing it. If done properly, the PPU can be reseated in the hardware. And re-purposing it for something you'd use more is at least somewhat a noble endeavor.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Managed to score a Gyromite with Famicom adapter for 5 bucks last night from the local shop. They didn't know what they had, apparently. Anybody have a list of cheap but good Famicom games that should be imported, which can be played without any real understanding of Japanese?

Also, from what I can tell, I'm basically going to need to dremel down the sides of the adapter to fit inside the slot of the Famicom carts. Is there any other work that needs to be done to use this sort of thing with a toaster? I'm concerned that it might get stuck inside the console when I try to remove the cart.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

They'd never do placebo poo poo on something like video, only audio, because with video you can actually literally point out the differences.

Yes! That's what I meant and G-Prime better be using that awesome guide.

I am SO using that guide. I didn't even consider the idea of using the screw holes as mount points for a string or ribbon. You guys are awesome. Now I just have to convince my wife that it's very much responsible for me to buy a bunch of games that I can't read, because it'll obviously be educational for our son.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

McFunkerson posted:

How much reading is involved in Kirby's Dreamland 3? I'm thinking about buying the SFC version since its half the price of the SNES version.

For that matter if I remove the tabs from my snes, what SFC games would I be able to enjoy without knowing Japanese at all? It seems like most of the online lists if SFC games you should import are text heavy RPGs.

The JP SFC release of Super Metroid is 100% worth importing, for the box art alone. The game is actually identical in both the US and JP releases, the only difference is the plastic shell.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

flyboi posted:

I was playing Mega Man X yesterday trying to get the fireball upgrade which I did. However as per most every single Mega Man game the last level completely destroys me and I quit playing. Are any of the Mega Mans and/or Xs not super duper hard all the way through? I'd like to be able to say I've beaten one of them without cheat codes :saddowns:

Other people have mentioned it, but MMX3 is really a lot easier than any of the NES MM games. My first time ever beating it was trying to learn the speedrun route for it, and I clocked in at about 1h40m. Nowhere near record time, but considering that the only other MM game I've ever beaten is MMX1, I don't feel bad about that. Bonus, it's a pretty fun game, other than the insanity of the Sigma fight.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey man, that's cool. I always wanted one of those, but the controller looks massively uncomfortable, so I'll get by on just playing my real SNES and then emulating on my 3DS when I'm on the go.

But... wait. WAIT. What the hell is that thing?

Is ... is that a cart to play NES games on SNES? :stare:

How did I not know about this? How does this even work? The SNES doesn't have a 6502, its 16-bit. You can probably execute lots of things as 8-bit instructions, but... are the instruction sets EXACTLY the same? Is the cartridge providing interpolation between instructions? Holy crap this is awesome if it works. Whats your experience like?

:stare: They make one for playing Genesis games on SNES too?! HOW DID I NOT KNOW. THIS IS SO AWESOME.

I don't care if its buggy if it works at all this is magical. :allears:

Also, doesn't the retroduo have a slot for both NES and SNES? So I assume you were just being cheeky to load in the adapter?

It's probably something like this: http://www.amazon.com/RetroPORT-SNES-Adapter-RETROBIT-Nintendo-DS/dp/B007A57C7W The basic theory is that it'd load the NES cart's data into an emulator that runs as an SNES game. Definitely doesn't work with everything. I'd bet they don't have Castlevania 3 working, for example.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

iastudent posted:

I found one of those at a garage sale a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately it has a loose AC jack that only works if you jiggle it to the right position and the video signal intermittently blinks while playing. I think I know how to fix both but I've been swamped with too much stuff to work on it.

I really wish I could live in the amazing neighborhoods some of you guys live in. I've been going to garage sales for the past month and a half, every weekend, and have yet to find a single game-related thing. Apparently, I've just got really bad luck.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Parlett316 posted:

Wait, the cartoon that aired on Fridays during the Super Mario Cartoon?

Yep. That got released on DVD at one point. I bought it from the bargain bin at the grocery store.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

juliuspringle posted:

Eh, my point stands. I could only play the first minutes of that before I gave up. Speaking of dinosaurs, what are some good games with dinosaurs that aren't Jurassic Park starting with NES and ending with N64?

Comedy option: Super Mario World.

Seriously, Joe and Mac on SNES, maybe?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Vprisoner posted:

Sounds good. Drakon also suggested I replace the resistors with 220uf capacitors as a safety precaution. Would doing that have any effect on the picture itself?

Caps should just level out the signal and provide more consistency.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

juliuspringle posted:

Do any goons put those battery holder things in NES games? I hear with those you just have to open it up and switch out batteries like you would a watch and if they work and someone does it I'm thinking about getting it done for my games at some point so I don't have to worry about batteries dying anymore.

Just FYI, you'd still have to worry about them dying. It's just that they're easier to replace when they do. If the battery dies, or is removed, the save data is lost. The only way to prevent that is to back up the save data (USB CopyNES, or Retrode, for the consoles that can use it), or to have a secondary power source hooked up in parallel before you remove the battery. I've considered doing mods which include a secondary battery holder, so you can swap one at a time out and not lose data, long term, but haven't found a way that I like to actually do it.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Thank you very much for this, it explains it completely!

I'm not so much of a sperg that I needed to hear Game Boy games over SPDIF; I was just wondering why it wasn't working! For the ultimate test: I wonder if I'd hear sound over Space Invaders on the GBC? :)

I suppose if you wanted to get really crazy, you could get an SPDIF DAC with RCA outputs, a dual RCA mixer to take the SPDIF and the multi-out and mix them together, and then an ADC to go back to SPDIF. There'd obviously be some quality loss, but I don't think it'd be that horrible. It'd be expensive, but that's what this hobby is about, right? :retrogames:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Things are starting to get really exciting on the RGB NES front, I think. The UniversalPPU developer has ordered some prototype boards and is going to start assembly in the next week or two. As if that's not cool enough, he's confirmed that the palette that gets used will be user selectable, with several pre-defined, and the users will be able to define their own as well. What does that mean for us? Well, there's a bunch of games that look messed up with the PPU out of the PC-10 cabinets. Some are downright unplayable. Being able to choose a palette on the fly means you could have RGB output with the standard NES color palette, for 100% accurate display.

Edit:

That second one I hadn't heard of. Hell, I don't even know where the RAM chips are to not send voltage to them?

Anyway yeah completely bypassing the internal encoder completely gets rid of the vertical bar yet even after knowing what causes the vertical bar, I have no idea why bypassing the encoder fixes it. :psyduck:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that the two Goldstar chips just below the S-RGB chip in this board layout are the RAM.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 28, 2013

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Random Stranger posted:

I think for all of its other good work on the NES, Konami's shooters on that platform generally aren't too hot. Twinbee 1 and 3 (but not 2/Stinger) being the exceptions to that. Hudson and Compile are where it's at for shooters on the platform. Konami was clearly focused on arcade design at the time and the ports for the home versions wound up suffering. Gradius and Lifeforce are so stripped down that it's pathetic. Parodius is a flickery mess. And then there's Top Gun.

(As an aside, I went into a retrogaming store a few months ago and they had two full shelves of Top Gun. It was like the ninth circle of hell.)

Why the hate for Top Gun? Game was challenging as hell, and actually took skill. When I was a kid, I was better at that than I was at SMB1. Was it frustrating? Absolutely. But man it was rewarding when you nailed a landing on an aircraft carrier.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Lowen SoDium posted:

Maybe it was a home made breakaway cable like the OG Xbox used to have.

Normally, breakaway cables are intended to be quickly disconnected. The holes in the top and bottom look like they're for clips on the other end to lock into, so it DOESN'T come apart easily.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

luigionlsd posted:

Not Sega but please give MMX a try. I have fallen in love with that game despite trying it as a youngster and not caring for it. I could play that forever

MMX3 is a FAR better game, if you're going to play an MMX game. Has some framerate issues due to the Cx4 chip, but it's a ton of fun, and my personal favorite in the X series.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Mortal Kombat 3 was released on the Master System, SNES/Genesis, and PS1 at roughly the same time.

You just brought to my attention that the Master System is still receiving new revisions and being sold in Brazil, with sales figures of 150k between the SMS and SMD for 2012. That is amazing and horrifying at the same time. That means the Master System is the longest running console at this point, at 28 years of production.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Sorry, I edited this in my last post as you were making your post. No game mode. If I want my Genesis to work on the TV without a delay, the image needs to be at least 480i going in, like the N64 on s-video, or the TV tries to upscale. The 1080p videos of Sega Genesis do look pretty nice. I might go for it anyway.

You could probably find an inexpensive upscaler to bring it up to 480p or more, but it might not look great. In the end, you may as well just succumb to the XRGB-Mini like the rest of us. I'm saving my pennies for one while I wait for the UniversalPPU guy to get his project out the door.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
He did, but don't SNES and Genesis output 240p natively? Most modern TVs don't have scalers designed to handle anything less than 480i, from what I've read. If that's the case, bringing it up to 480i (which, I realize, is just interlaced 240p) could theoretically solve the problem. It's definitely possible it's an issue with the composite input on the TV as well.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Tyson Tomko posted:

When I go into the Wii settings menu I'm greeted by the ever lovely corrupted system files message. EVERYTHING else works just fine on the thing, but when I go specifically into Wii settings I'm SOL. This means I can't even attempt to format my memory to fix, can't setup network settings to get on my wifi, can't play with video settings, as far as I can tell can't see what version I'm running. My goal is to get this thing on my wifi, possibly play Netflix (I know it's only 480p) and to softmod it so I can play games from an external hdd. I've looked into many methods of softmodding and every one seems to require me knowing what version I'm on and/or my MAC address. Could anyone hook me up with some advice?

Try getting into maintenance mode and see if you can get to the settings menu that way. Turn on the Wii, turn on the Wiimote, and when the health and safety screen comes up, hold plus and minus, and press and hold A. You should be able to get into the system menu that way.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
You guys kill me inside. Getting an N8 sounds like an awesome plan, until I remember that my TV has terrible upscaling, so my NES looks like crap until I get the RGB mod done and get a Framemeister. :retrogames:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

zenintrude posted:

...or you man up and buy a Trinitron.

I've seriously considered it, and gone looking. The real problem with that is that I don't have space for another TV right now, and even worse, I have a severe back injury and wouldn't be able to move it myself, if it were a decent sized one. On the flip side, my wife is 100% on board with me buying a Framemeister, even though it's far more expensive, just so we won't have to figure out the lifting and space issues.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

ACID POLICE posted:

To be perfectly honest I think if Krikzz is an rear end and is like "one or the other!" I'll probably go Fami. If I do that I'll buy a bunch of NES/Fami converters from him for the NES people. Is that okay for everyone who wants an NES one? I'd charge no markup at all on the adapter and if I get enough NES poo poo games I'll send one so you can just plug in a Fami cart.

Does that actually work? IIRC the Fami one is too big to fit inside an NES cart with the adapter, and have room for the SD card. I feel like somebody said it'd work with one of the slim microSD adapters where it sits nearly flush with the edge of the board, but didn't work otherwise.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

univbee posted:

I may have said that and was slightly wrong. It will fit, but you have to break some of the retaining pegs inside the NES cart. You will also have to cut a slot where the microSD slot is (on the side), while the NES-sized one uses a full-size SD card along the top.

Incidentally, has anyone managed to successfully tap N8 expansion audio using thie external NES mod? http://callanbrown.com/index.php/castlevania-iii-with-full-famicom-audio ? I really want a "works in an unmodded NES" solution if it can be done.

I don't know why I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread yet, but I just found it myself. http://enio.chykn.com/wiki/index.php/ENIO_EXP_Board is a board that plugs straight into the expansion slot on the NES, which actually enables the expansion audio with no further modifications. It can be purchased from http://nintendorepairhut.com/accessories/nintendonesaccessories.html I don't know why people aren't making a big deal of this. $20 and all you have to do is remove the little plastic cover from the expansion slot, and make a minor modification to the case to expose the NES board, and it just plugs right in. No soldering. That seems amazing.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Welp I just bought a ENIO EXP Board. What do I need to do with it to let you all know how it works? Stuff an FDS RAM cart in with an adapter to listen for the extra sound?

I don't have an NES flash cart, only a Famicom one.

Attaboy!

You could do the sound mod on a Famicom -> NES adapter and hook your flash cart up to it, and then try some FDS games. The N8's emulation of the extra sound channels is a little messed up, but you should still hear it, even if it's wrong.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Ah okay, so that I know the thing is working...if I put Castlevania 3 (Japanese version of course) or the Zelda 1 FDS ROM into my toaster without the ENIO EXP Board, I'd hear nothing in place of the improved audio? Meaning, Castlevania 3 (J) would have no audio at all?

Just asking so I know what differences to look out for, because I'd assume that something like Zelda 1 (FDS) on a toaster with no ENIO EXP Board would give me music (except the title screen) but no sword shooting sound effects.

I got that Krikzz adapter from the awesome Kreeblah during the summer secret Santa exchange; I assume that with the Famicom N8 should be enough since, as far as I know, that adapter is already modified for expanded audio?

(Also, if it's already modded for expanded audio, why do I need the ENIO EXP Board? :psyduck: )

It's actually two things. The N8 for NES handles the expanded audio automatically, a Famicom N8 with an adapter won't, because the adapters aren't wired to the right pins to allow the expanded audio by default (if your adapter is already modded for the audio passthrough, you're golden) which means it needs to be modded, so it passes that audio to the console hardware. Then, there's another mod to the console itself, which passes the expanded audio out the mono channel on the side (I think maybe it works with the RF adapter, but I could be wrong). The ENIO EXP replaces the console mod and is just a plug and play version. Of note, Castlevania 3 (J)'s audio will be messed up due to the N8's handling of the emulation, but you should still get the extra audio. I'd say you should do Zelda 1 (FDS) as the test.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

superh posted:

How about famicom N8 in an og famicom? Does the N8 still need modding? I know I get crappy FDS audio on mine so I'm assuming "yes?"

Sorry about the late reply. Famicom N8 in an OG Famicom should automatically pass expansion audio. From what I've read, though, on some games, the N8 has poor emulation of the expansion audio chip that was in the cart (such as Castlevania 3), so the sound is crappy. But it IS there. It functions, just not well.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Wait until my :spergin: trip report; especially since I have an RGB AV Famicom to make direct comparisons to.

I'm extremely excited to see your comparison, and really glad the other thing for the FDS audio worked as expected. I've just been too broke to get one, and don't have a N8 anyway, so it wouldn't do me any good to get the audio modded on mine right now.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Dropping back to FreeMcboot talk, why are people going out of their way to find IDE drives which likely have very little life left in them, when you could just got a 2.5" SATA drive and put it in the PS2 with one of these? Seems simpler, though you'd need to shove something in for the drive to sit on.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Can anyone point me to where I can buy a port for my NES toaster that is the same as the Genesis model 1? Otherwise I will be unable to test the NESRGB when it arrives (this is a subtle threat).

I'm not 100% certain, because I can't find a good picture of the model 1's AV port, but I think http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/5212047-1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvf6myxbP4FpMdseQ%2fW4pNyK1BJYHjzb5c%3d is the correct part.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Thank you kindly. May I ask what search term you used to find that?

I was initially just looking for "din 8 connector" but that was bringing back all sorts of garbage. I hand-browsed Products->All Products->Circular Connectors->Circular DIN Connectors and then filtered on DIN, Female, and 8 Contacts. If that's not exactly the right socket, browse through the list (there's only about 50 options, and most have pictures) and see if there's a different one that matches up. :)

Edit: Look for 8 pin 262 degree connectors. http://www.therfc.com/dinconn.htm looks a little shady, but they appear to have them. DP8/262 is the part on there. Still poking around for anything else that would match.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 29, 2013

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Ah thank you so much. "262 degree" was the key I was missing.

It appears as though Digikey at one point ever had one (model 20GM8M) but it's long gone!

I am only hellbent on using the Genesis 1 scart pinout because of how bountiful high-quality RGB SCART cables are. If you want a high quality RGB cable for the Nintendo A/V port, you pretty much have to shell out $90 for the Nintendo brand SFC RGB cables.

Hell no. I'll be able to type "genesis model 1 scart" into eBay for the next 200 years, probably.

Thank you for your help big time! Also, this is the first time a website ever asked me for this info:

edit: ah, crap. The DP8/262 is for a plug, not a mount. I'm just gonna melt down the pins so it fits in the 270 degree jack I guess.

Yeah it seems like only the Genesis really used this weird type of connector for consoles. I wonder why. I noticed the connector for my PCE is the same for my TI-99 4/a. Sega doing it before Sony made it cool!

Let's give this one more go. I've nearly exhausted my internetting powers for the day. http://www.wallcoinc.com/Pan_Pacific_DIN_46100_8S_262_262_DEGREE_DIN_8PIN_p/wal78-din-46100-8s-262.htm (Can you tell that I'm really excited to see how that NESRGB performs? >.>)

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Your model number lead me to a pic of it: http://www.arcade-electronics.com/v/vspfiles/pan_pacific/catalog_page112.pdf

That's a cable end again, but it lead me to the correct model number!

I promise you the most spergiest of details for you on the performance of the NESRGB!

If it really comes down to it, a female cable end would be close enough to do the job. It sure wouldn't look pretty hanging out the back of the console, but you could still solder it to the board and have it hanging out. Still, glad to know you got to the right model number. :)

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

I had to order 19 of them to make the $15 minimum. :retrogames:

Re: Canadian shipping prices. The USPS boosted up the cost for international shipping sometime last year. I went to mail a model 2 Sega CD once and they quoted me something like $50.

Obvious solution: Sell them to other retrogoons for use with their NESRGB when they get one. Since the Model 1 RGB-SCART cables are so plentiful, should be a good option for people. Recoup a couple bucks of the cost that way. Hell, I'll probably buy one from you once I buy the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

the_lion posted:

You Can Fix Your NES 72-Pin Cartridge Connector By Boiling It, according to this thingy.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/weirdness_you_can_fix_your_nes_72_pin_cartridge_connector_by_boiling_it

Retro Game Stores Hate Her! Suburban Mom Discovers One Weird Trick to Rejuvenate Your NES!

Boiling doesn't solve the core problem of the pins being bent. You still have to bend them back. Boiling just cleans out the built up grime, which is cool, but probably not needed in most cases.

• Locked thread