Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Poil posted:

That begs to question, where does the produce I sell go? Does the major sell it to joja? Out of town somewhere? :iiam:

To the locusts in Zuzu City that devour your produce and call you an inbred hick.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Swedish Horror posted:

Stardew Valley Expanded is great and I love all the new map additions, but the writing is...bad.

What did you seriously expect when one of the new characters is a weeb who owns a winery?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Bogart posted:

Honest question: why do you all have more than one animal of any type? It's like fishing for me, I do it because I have to and then inertia kicks in and I may as well pet the cow and milk it on the way to the greenhouse.

At some point the game stops being a capitalist simulator because you have everything you need and now you just want to build a good looking farm.

1.5 can't come soon enough and with the fact that the election is over I can finally get around to playing this and Spiritfarer without any loving anxiety.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

When I buy the golden clock? :shrug:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

This SVE news is disappointing but I guess it's really a mod for fans who just want a bigger world to explore and play with. I'm still going to give it a shot but my expectations are tempered now.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Saxophone posted:

Every time I see a new post I get really excited that it might be announcing 1.5 and thus I can play SDV with my wife on the couch.

Alas.

Every drat time

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Semi-Protato posted:

There's an additional dialog mod, Stardew Valley Dialog Expansion, that adds a bunch more lines for everyone. I've used it my entire run this time around, and well into year 3 I haven't found anyone saying anything too out of character and nothing cringey. The most obvious change is festival dialog - everyone has new lines from year to year and villagers acknowledge things that happened in previous years.

Is this the mod you're talking about?
https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2544

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Saxophone posted:

My wife and I are home with covid and I was really hoping this would have been out before Christmas so we could sit on the couch, build a farm, and cough together. Harumph and such.

Just move the PC in front of the couch or the couch in front of the PC. Problem solved.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

The obvious solution is to rush foraging 9, truffles, and make a pine tree farm so you can make rain totems for any day you don't want to water your crops.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

No telling where the farm will be in relation to the normal beach either...

Well, he kinda said in this tweet
https://mobile.twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1340714377847033856

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

FUCKIN HYPED :woop:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

...what?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You can save progress on Journey of the prairie King?! Holy poo poo, I might actually be able to beat it now.
what the gently caress? G'drat, I can finally 100% this game on xbox when 1.5 comes to console.

Braking Gnus posted:

I haven't played Stardew Valley in a couple of years, but this update has dragged me back in. Any mods I should grab, or wait for them to be updated before lose 50 hours or so?
CA mentioned on SDV.net that he gave early access to some mod makers so their mods would work with 1.5 in a short amount of time so you might be good already.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The chest I found had four geodes in it. :drat: Also, I think the beach debuff is interesting because for the first time there's a reason to go for the iridium upgrade on the watering can.

I always went for the iridium watering can so that on the first day of spring I could hoe, plant, and water all my fields in 1 day instead of 2.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

It just means all the good children got presents early

Yo what the fu-

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

With Stardew Valley's new split-screen co-op, me and my SO are thinking of playing together. We thought it might be nice to have controllers instead of KB+M for this. I have one old wired 360 controller that I use for Dark Souls/Yakuza etc, but all of her controllers are wireless 360 ones with the adapter cord thing, and the Windows 10 computer doesn't like that. I don't really want to mess around with software utilities to make it work, which means probably buying some new controllers. Also, I guess it would be nice to have them be wireless because it's the future.

The issue here is that I am super out of the loop regarding console poo poo. What controllers work on Windows in multiples (as in, pairing 2 to the same PC) and in your opinion work well with Stardew?

Since it's Windows 10 I would probably go with an xbox peripheral like the Xbox One controller. It was on sale after Thanksgiving but now they're back to being $60. The only thing I'm unsure about is connecting multiple devices. Google tells me that some PCs don't like connecting multiple Xbox One controllers via bluetooth so you might have to get the PC wireless adapter to connect the 2nd controller. The other option is to use a USB connection for one or both.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So could you use Steam link to have the game up on a TV and computer, then use a USB xbox controller connected to the streaming device and a keyboard/mouse connected to the computer to do split screen? Or with both input devices connected to the computer?

That's out of my wheelhouse. I haven't PC gamed seriously in almost a decade. The Xbox controller stuff is mostly what I've gathered from friends who play Destiny 2 on PC but still prefer controller.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's still available in the app store for the Nvidia Shield.

I'll just give it a try and report back, thanks Rick.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :shobon:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Yeah I bought it on switch a couple days ago, so I’m out of luck!

I’m glad it warns you now though. It did warn me about being too close to another tree (some kind of bush) at least. I’m probably just going to write off the sapling and get another one at some point in the future. I picked the forest map so I’m going to turn it into an orchard/wild plant kind of farm eventually.

They’re supposed to not be able to grow when the tiles around them aren’t clear. That’s just objects like weeds right? Does enclosing them in a fence help with that?

No, a fence will still inhibit growth and from what I've read on reddit will prevent the tree from improving in quality. A fruit tree's quality will improve every year it lives (silver, gold, iridium)

Edit:
"1.4: Removed prior requirement that fruit trees will not age if their 3x3 grid is not kept clear of objects, flooring, and terrain features (including grass)."

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 27, 2020

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Oh I mean with grass/weeds. Does the fence prevent things from spawning inside, or is it just the movement of grass?

Like I’d have to leave the 3x3 square clear but I could put a fence around that or something.

No, the fence doesn't prevent it entirely. If anything does prevent your fruit tree from growing should should get a warning when you wake up. The best option is to clear all the debris around it and just check it daily so no weeds spread around the tree or spontaneously grow there.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think you can still get a killer sword at a low drop rate via fishing too. Sometimes you see folks pop up and talk about getting it mid spring year one and it essentially gets you through the caves no issues.
Yeah, Neptune's Glaive is a real find if you can get it early. Makes plowing through 1-80 levels of the mine easy and you don't have to waste any G on weapons from the adventurer's guild.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Akratic Method posted:

:aaa: Oh! I thought it was absolutely no stairs to get the Honorable declaration, and eventually a monster floor convinced me to use one so I figured the run was dishonored already, screw it.

It's 10 staircases. If I see a spiral room on a skull cavern run I drop a staircase immediately, no way I'm dealing with that poo poo.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Noonsaliwah posted:

This method has 1 walkway and 1.5 hops for each row of sprinklers, so I think a simple setup where sprinklers do both the row immediately above and below is more effecitient. Like so;
code:
==================
*X**X**X**X**X**X*
==================
(1 walkway and 2 hops per sprinkler row)

By repeating this pattern over and over, it looks like this;
code:
==================
*X**X**X**X**X**X*
==================
==================
*X**X**X**X**X**X*
==================
==================
*X**X**X**X**X**X*
==================
So basically, when you harvest you just walk down the walkways and pick both above and below you. It's also easy to set up, and you can use the middle-quality sprinklers.
How are you watering the hops that are 2 tiles away if you're using the quality sprinkers?

Also, this is the hop garden that I use until I move on to starfruit/ancient fruit wine. I usually plant coffee bushes in the walkable area.

It gives a use for quality sprinklers as you move to iridium but if you're rich enough to use iridium sprinklers everywhere you might as well make a 15x15 field with nothing but trellis crops and a junimo hut at the center. The cons here are that you won't be able to reach the hut until the end of the season and you're not making as much b/c you're either making pale ale or grape wine.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 3, 2021

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

No one wants to gently caress poor Jodi :sigh:
Well yeah b/c Jodi fucks wives.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

PinheadSlim posted:

This actually kinda tracks. If a Marine is deployed and their spouse cheats the person they cheated with is referred to as "Jody"
:thejoke:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Coolguye posted:

that's when it turns out the yoba statue is actually maintaining a psychic link to an elder god that awakens and drives the entire valley to insane blood-cult practices.
Every time someone brings up this "Things are not what they seem/A slumbering elder god waits to feed" BS I'm reminded of Gleaner Heights and glad that CA never worked that nonsense into his game.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Alxprit posted:

Honestly I enjoy mining and fighting through those areas in Stardew, it's relaxing and helps my lizard brain feel good about getting goodies. I know it's not really a super developed or impactful combat system, but as long as it functions I feel good about it.

Expanding the mining and dungeon delving would be slightly interesting but I don't want a combat overhaul that turns combat into Rune Factory.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

This is especially bad if, like me, your jam/keg empire can not be restricted to the confines of a shed, or even the farm.

340 kegs in the quarry, 170 in the sewery, and several hundred more for an efficiently pathed cindersap forest accessway, all before you need to spend money or resources building a shed. :v:
Dude, you have a problem.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Best partner is Krobus.

Perks:
- He's a cutie pie when he smiles.

- He does not get jealous of you giving gifts to other townsfolk to unlock their hearts
- He genuinely appreciates your attempts to welcome him into the human world and get to know him
- Regularly tries to cook you delicious meals
- Has a job, but can work fine from home
- Him moving in does not rob him of the opportunity to lead a better, more fulfilling life (sorry, Maru, if we get involved you'll never go to college and its definitely where you belong)
- He's never an rear end in a top hat to you at any point
- He doesn't pester you to have kids
- He is not an alcoholic

The virgin Shane and the chad Krobus

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Now that I think about it there is really only beer and wine huh

OK fine well I just put rice in the keg and I didn't bother to check the wiki so heres hoping for sake

Narrator: It was unmilled rice juice.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I heard that in my head as I pulled it out too :(

Can I put my milled rice in the keg once my mill is built? I tried the wiki and it just vaguely mentions putting it in the preserves thing

Damnit stardew I just wanna make hooch to sweeten up Pam

If you really want to make different types of liquor you're gonna have to use a mod like Artisan Valley and even then I don't think sake is listed as one of the products that modders have made with json assets. Although the mods add a lot of creativity to the game they aren't integrated into normal gameplay. For instance if you mod in Starbrew Valley you can make a ton of drinks but no one in town will ask for one through the bulletin board and many of them don't even have a monetary value so you can't sell them for anything. They're purely decorative. I stand corrected, they do sell for something. I think a lot of the modded drinks give you buffs way better than what you can get from regular food and drink.

https://mouseypounds.github.io/ppja-ref/index.html

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 13, 2021

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Correct

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

It's worked since November:
https://twitter.com/__tosh/status/1329099180476928002

You can see Stardew in his screenshot of the spreadsheet from Nov 18th or earlier. Both versions, PC and Mobile run.

What's the deal here? I don't really have any context of what Apple M1 is and why games running on it are a good/bad thing.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Previously Apple used Intel chips as their processors. Now Apple is designing their own chips for their computers in house (they have been designing for mobile for much longer). This is a big deal because the architecture of the chips are totally different and actually process things using different rules. Apple has provided an emulator of sorts to let Intel programs run on their M1 platform as more of a stopgap until developers release a version that just runs using the rules and instruction set of the Apple designed chips. By all accounts, the M1 absolutely slaps and Intel has nothing to provide Apple that is even reasonably close. They made the move because intel has been super stagnant in their processors for a whole host of reasons. Anyway thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

That's really informative, thanks. I'm just getting back into PC gaming and only really play SDV on a previous gen PC running Windows 7. The only experience I possibly have with processors is when everything switched to 64-bit architecture and all of my games stopped working on my 4 year old MacBook Pro.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

I haven't played Stardew since August so starting a new farm is refreshing for me even though I'll have to start all over on console once the patch comes out. I find that if I take a break from long games that it's all foreign and it's just better to start over.

The beach farm is a great experience with the caveat that you need an upgraded watering can stat and have to accept that you're going to use the first 3-4 hours watering crops.
You'll need to either rest in the spa or eat food to do anything else.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Does anyone know the best way to update mods on PC? Should I just overwrite existing mod folders in the Stardew Valley\Mods directory or should I delete the old mod and replace it with the new one?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Poque posted:

I just delete the folder in the \Mods directory and replace it with the new one.

Will I lose anything in those folders like saved UI setups that are mod specific?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Khanstant posted:

The keg thing is really weird. Seems like the quality of what is put into wine is given high importance IRL. Aging is important too, but is aging enough to make good wine from lovely grapes?

It's never quality, it's base price x 3 for fruits and x 2.25 for most vegetables. With that in mind grapes are one of the worst fruits you can put into a keg because they only make a 240G bottle of wine. You're better off making vegetable juice from amaranth during the fall.

Most keg operations come down to making starfruit or ancient fruit wine depending on how much you want to plant seeds.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

The thing that extra annoys me is that there is a wide world of fruits that he could have picked that weren't tomatoes. But he happened to find tomatoes specifically. How many oranges, apples, grapes, pears, etc did you pass before you lit on tomatoes, Demetrius? Were things not arranged in an order that groups fruits and vegetables, like often happens in stores? Why did you pick the tomatoes specifically?
Tomatoes are, at least in the US, a famous case of having to define a plant product by its culinary and common use rather than its botanical definition within the law (Nix v. Hedden)

Everyone else posted:

:words:
JFC goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

I thought the fridge was a great place to store all my fish and then I sashimi'd right through the salmon that I was going to use to make salmon dinners.

So at least have a separate chest so you don't accidentally use specific ingredients when making general dishes.